PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Contrast last night......

smixsell
07-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Between our old "closer" (opener?) Francisco Cordero and our new CLOSER Aroldis Chapman. :beerme:

Nothing against Coco, he had a pretty good year last year, but it's nice to have a "closer's closer" sitting down there in the pen. :)

PS Thanks for the meatball you served Drew last night. I always knew you were still a Red at heart! ;)

Who Dey Time
07-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Between our old "closer" (opener?) Francisco Cordero and our new CLOSER Aroldis Chapman. :beerme:

Nothing against Coco, he had a pretty good year last year, but it's nice to have a "closer's closer" sitting down there in the pen. :)

PS Thanks for the meatball you served Drew last night. I always knew you were still a Red at heart! ;)

No question it is great having Chapman over anyone but, as someone pointed out last night, Chapman has 4 blown saves already in 2012. Coco had 6 all of last season.

Coco usually gets a bad rap from the negative masses but, in truth, was not as awful as some people like to believe.

Maker_84
07-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Corderos WHIP was also through the roof and he got lucky on alot of save chances as well. One thing with Chapman is that when he's on, he's unhittable but when he's off he can be really bad

smixsell
07-25-2012, 02:27 PM
No question it is great having Chapman over anyone but, as someone pointed out last night, Chapman has 4 blown saves already in 2012. Coco had 6 all of last season.

Coco usually gets a bad rap from the negative masses but, in truth, was not as awful as some people like to believe.

True, but it's a deceptive stat IMO. Many of Coco's saves over the past 2 seasons were 2-3 run leads where he put several men on, gave up a 1-2 runs, and was rather fortunate to get out of it without blowing the whole lead.

Also Chapman's blown saves have almost exlusively come during a stretch where 100% fastballs were being called for him, and the league became aware of it. Lesson learned by Red's catchers there (lets hope)...... not really Chaps fault and won't be repeated.

smixsell
07-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Corderos WHIP was also through the roof and he got lucky on alot of save chances as well. One thing with Chapman is that when he's on, he's unhittable but when he's off he can be really bad

True, but the numbers say he is not often off. Also, most of his "off" gmes were during that stretch where almost 100% fastballs were being called. I doubt we'll see that mistake again anytime soon.

IamRV
07-25-2012, 08:29 PM
True, but the numbers say he is not often off. Also, most of his "off" gmes were during that stretch where almost 100% fastballs were being called. I doubt we'll see that mistake again anytime soon.

Plus I think it was also a stretch where he wasn't quite used to back to back days and was being a bit over-used.

arkimadee
07-26-2012, 01:17 AM
Maybe CoCo is doing this as a way of saying he's sorry for causing us to have heart problems. Maybe he's still under Reds contract and it's his job to blow games to us!!!

smixsell
07-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Maybe CoCo is doing this as a way of saying he's sorry for causing us to have heart problems. Maybe he's still under Reds contract and it's his job to blow games to us!!!

I was thinking the same thing....maybe he still has a soft spot in his heart for the Reds. :o)

smixsell
07-26-2012, 10:30 AM
He's paying off his "debt" to the Reds........ that's two blown saves "paid back." :beerme:

Thank you Coco! :o)