PDA

View Full Version : Local Bands

camisadelgolf
07-26-2012, 02:35 AM
What are some of your favorite local bands? Being from Cincinnati, I can name plenty of bands from here that I love seeing live. Afghan Whigs; Wussy; Heartless Bastards, etc. And if you extend it to Dayton, Guided by Voices; the Deal sisters' projects; Enon, etc).

But to get a little less national, here are some of my favorites from around the area.

Automagik (http://automagik.bandcamp.com/) They sound to me like a power pop band with a very young vibe. Queen would be an obvious influence, hence the songs being very catchy. My favorite song on the album is "Brainfreeze". Here's a video from the album.
Automagik - Teleportation Blues - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM9kGpwUzOo)

The Dopamines (http://thedopamines.bandcamp.com/album/expect-the-worst) These are really cool dudes who have gotten some national attention. It's straight-up pop punk. Oh, and they're big Reds fans.
The Dopamines - Glendora - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnjtWbuqyfw)

The Prohibitionists (http://theprohibitionists.bandcamp.com/) It's a classic blues/rockabilly band with an awesome garage sound. They tend to highlight any show no matter where they play in the lineup.
the prohibitionists- chapter 1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2NWT4I3qG4&feature=player_detailpage#t=84s)

The Ready Stance (http://www.reverbnation.com/thereadystance) With a refined pop sound, it's more for fans of R.E.M. who like a little indie pop. And if you're into that sort of thing, they have some sweet rigs that I believe were locally-made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UEnnSuR7iiI#t=625s

Vacation (http://vacation.bandcamp.com/album/vacation) This is definitely the most unique band on the list. Post-punk would be a lazy description, but it's the best I can come up with since I need a vague word to cover all the sub-genres they're into. I'd recommend them for fans of Titus Andronicus who like to get a little crazier.
Vacation: "Big Scary Dudes" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-2e9v0H5s)

camisadelgolf
07-26-2012, 02:37 AM
The Ready Stance isn't an acoustic band btw. That was just the best I could do on YouTube.

07-26-2012, 07:54 AM
James McMurtry's band was called Heartless Bastards at one time. Is this band different?

reds1869
07-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Great list and a great topic. If you extend the list to those who have expanded far beyond the Cincinnati scene but have their roots here I have to give a big nod to The National and Foxy Shazam (both of whom put on killer live shows). As for mostly-local bands that are currently active I love The Tillers and the Seedy Seeds. Another enjoyable group is The Kentucky Struts. My wife teaches some of their children and they are first class people.

camisadelgolf
07-26-2012, 08:46 PM
I realize I should be happy for all of Foxy Shazam's success, but I just don't think they write good albums. I might say the same about Walk the Moon, but I haven't really given them an analytical listen.

*BaseClogger*
07-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Why did you wait so long to start this thread, camisa?

camisadelgolf
07-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Why did you wait so long to start this thread, camisa?
I was waiting for you. :luvu:

dougdirt
07-27-2012, 07:44 AM
My friend is in The Dopamines. Known him for half of my life. Never heard them live. Enjoy punk, so it really doesn't make much sense.

camisadelgolf
07-27-2012, 07:58 AM
My friend is in The Dopamines. Known him for half of my life. Never heard them live. Enjoy punk, so it really doesn't make much sense.
Which one? They're good friends of mine.

BillDoran
07-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Automagik has a little bit of the swagger and classic rock influence of quasi-local Cage the Elephant. They seem to have a good idea what being entertainers is about.

BillDoran
07-27-2012, 08:01 AM

I know you've mentioned playing in Cincinnati-area bands in the past, camisa. Out yourself, and tell us which ones.

camisadelgolf
07-27-2012, 08:03 AM
I know you've mentioned playing in Cincinnati-area bands in the past, camisa. Out yourself, and tell us which ones.
No way. Sorry, but I have a reputation to protect. :D

dougdirt
07-27-2012, 08:04 AM

Jon Weiner. He used to skate back in the day (high school). Used to go over to his house and ride his ramp and play Madden all the time. Haven't seen him in a while though.

camisadelgolf
07-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Jon Weiner. He used to skate back in the day (high school). Used to go over to his house and ride his ramp and play Madden all the time. Haven't seen him in a while though.
Jon and I are really good friends. I've known him for years, and we have some really good stories. He's on tour right now, but I'm sure I'll run into him soon after he gets back.

Caveat Emperor
07-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Walk the Moon was playing 20th Century in Oakley last night. Show was sold out, otherwise I might've dropped in.

vaticanplum
07-27-2012, 04:38 PM
I like what I've heard of the Seedy Seeds. I also *really* like the song Garden by the Lions Rampant, but that's the only song I know of theirs. It doesn't even really seem like something I'd like normally (i.e., I might hate the rest of their catalogue), but that song in particular is just straight-up, straight-forward solid rock, done well. With horns.

Some friends of mine have played shows with the Pomegranates. I thought they were ok. Great band name though.

westofyou
07-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Walk the Moon was playing 20th Century in Oakley last night. Show was sold out, otherwise I might've dropped in.

I saw Slap Shot there in 1978

Local Bands here:

The Shins
The Decemberists
The Dandy Warhols
Modest Mouse
The Jicks
Built to Spill
Portugal. The Man
Quasi

pedro
07-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Wussy is a really good Cincinnati band.

vaticanplum
07-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Local Bands here:

The Shins
The Decemberists
The Dandy Warhols
Modest Mouse
The Jicks
Built to Spill
Portugal. The Man
Quasi

Show-off :p

You forgot Blind Pilot.

vaticanplum
07-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Are we doing local anywhere? This is my favorite Pittsburgh band, New Shouts, whom I can't really pimp any harder. Video below is their newest song, which is extremely new wavey -- I like it a lot, but not really representative of their previous work. They're very versatile and exploratory which is one of the things i like about them. What they do best, IMHO, is blue-eyed soul (Reins to Your Heart, Save Me).

New Shouts - Gazes in the Dark - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_BD0T-XPs)

They're playing at the Brillobox tonight, for all of you dozens of Pittsburghers on the board.

pedro
07-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Show-off :p

You forgot Blind Pilot.

He also forgot Blitzen Trapper, Portugal The Man, Wild Flag, Spoon and The Corin Tucker Band but he's wrong about Built To Spill, they're based in Boise.

pedro
07-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Shouldn't forget Red fang either

RED FANG - "Hank Is Dead" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgV7hnjoyt0)

RED FANG - "Prehistoric Dog" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VufilzHKTqk&feature=relmfu)

RED FANG - "Wires" HD - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGgwZeYj57Y&feature=relmfu)

pedro
07-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Our friend's husband plays bass in a cincy band called "the Roger Klug Power Trio"

BillDoran
07-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Shouldn't forget Red fang either

Not sure what they're up to now, but The Shaky Hands were the big up-and-comer when I was in PDX five years ago.

Stay Calm (Claudia Meza, formerly of Explode into Colors and Zac Pennington of The Parenthetical Girls) is a great Portland band right now.

Jackie-O-(cursewords), Valet, White Rainbow also make for a pretty great experimental scene in the city.

R.I.P. Pure Country Gold.

Bloomington's got a rather outsized scene for its size. Apache Dropout is quite good. And then all the Secretly Canadian/Jagjaguwar bands that swing through town regularly, namely The War on Drugs (who must keep an apartment in town).

*BaseClogger*
07-28-2012, 12:39 AM
I saw Slap Shot there in 1978

Local Bands here:

The Shins
The Decemberists
The Dandy Warhols
Modest Mouse
The Jicks
Built to Spill
Portugal. The Man
Quasi

So the therm "local" covers hundred of miles of the Pacific Northwest now?

*BaseClogger*
07-28-2012, 12:40 AM
He also forgot Blitzen Trapper, Portugal The Man, Wild Flag, Spoon and The Corin Tucker Band but he's wrong about Built To Spill, they're based in Boise.

Ah, so a lot of those bands woy listed have relocated to Portland?

*BaseClogger*
07-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Bloomington's got a rather outsized scene for its size. Apache Dropout is quite good. And then all the Secretly Canadian/Jagjaguwar bands that swing through town regularly, namely The War on Drugs (who must keep an apartment in town).

Is there still a big folk punk scene in Bloomington?

westofyou
07-28-2012, 12:49 AM

Yeah quite a lot of those bands have relocated, many don't actually show up
More than say wilco but they live here now and I thought Built to Spill had also relocated here, maybe just Doug M?

*BaseClogger*
07-28-2012, 01:13 AM
In any case you forgot The Thermals, one of my favorite bands from the 00s...

BillDoran
07-28-2012, 03:56 AM
Is there still a big folk punk scene in Bloomington?

Yep. Plan-It-X Records is still based here in town. Just had their annual festival six or so weeks ago.

*BaseClogger*
07-28-2012, 05:38 AM
Yep. Plan-It-X Records is still based here in town. Just had their annual festival six or so weeks ago.

Aw man, Defiance, Ohio has become my favorite band but I haven't been able to see them perform because... it's pretty hard to find somebody else who is a fan haha...

pedro
07-28-2012, 12:38 PM

Yes, I see Malkmus and Issac Brock around town (Issac shops at the grocery store as me), I've seen James Mercer with his kids at the park and I know where Johnny Marr likes to go to play foosball... so yes, while none of those guys is from Portland, they all live here now. I also see Janet Weiss (Sleater Kinney, Quasi, Jicks) out at shows fairly often. I think she may be stalking me. ;)

BTW, the Thermals are great.

BillDoran
07-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Yes, I see Malkmus and Issac Brock around town (Issac shops at the grocery store as me), I've seen James Mercer with his kids at the park and I know where Johnny Marr likes to go to play foosball... so yes, while none of those guys is from Portland, they all live here now. I also see Janet Weiss (Sleater Kinney, Quasi, Jicks) out at shows fairly often. I think she may be stalking me. ;)

BTW, the Thermals are great.

Malkmus is supposedly moving to Berlin, or so he said in an interview this winter.

pedro
07-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Malkmus is supposedly moving to Berlin, or so he said in an interview this winter.

yeah, just for a year from what I read. They rented out their house, which is over on Burnside in Laurelhurst. My friend David put in his new wood floors a few years back.

BillDoran
07-28-2012, 12:49 PM
yeah, just for a year from what I read. They rented out their house, which is over on Burnside in Laurelhurst. My friend David put in his new wood floors a few years back.

Fancy schmancy.

pedro
07-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Fancy schmancy.

It is a nice neighborhood.

vaticanplum
07-28-2012, 05:19 PM
I think of "local" as where a band is from and what city/place it's associated with, not where its members may relocate after they hit it big. Wilco is a Chicago band (and I do know that at least some of them still live there). Johnny Marr can live wherever he wants but the Smiths can't be anything but British; neither can he. Likewise, Sleater-Kinney's members could relocate to New York but they'll always associate with Oregon.

*BaseClogger*
07-28-2012, 06:00 PM
I think of "local" as where a band is from and what city/place it's associated with, not where its members may relocate after they hit it big. Wilco is a Chicago band (and I do know that at least some of them still live there). Johnny Marr can live wherever he wants but the Smiths can't be anything but British; neither can he. Likewise, Sleater-Kinney's members could relocate to New York but they'll always associate with Oregon.

I agree. It's a sound, a "scene", a time and place. Especially for bands that are already established like those that relocated to Portland. You wouldn't hear anybody on the streets of Portland talking about Modest Mouse as a "local band"...

pedro
07-28-2012, 07:17 PM
I agree. It's a sound, a "scene", a time and place. Especially for bands that are already established like those that relocated to Portland. You wouldn't hear anybody on the streets of Portland talking about Modest Mouse as a "local band"...

That's not necessarily true. They're not "from" here, but they definitely have a local presence and Issac has lived here a long time (approx 15 years). I understand what you guys are saying but regardless of whether or not people outside Portland perceive of many of these bands and artists as local (and I can understand why they wouldn't) a lot of folks here do. Issac Brock may be from Issaqua, but he shops at the New Season's on SE 21st and has a practice space across from Colonel Sumner Park off of Belmont Street. People who live here associate with that.

westofyou
07-28-2012, 11:10 PM
That's not necessarily true. They're not "from" here, but they definitely have a local presence and Issac has lived here a long time (approx 15 years). I understand what you guys are saying but regardless of whether or not people outside Portland perceive of many of these bands and artists as local (and I can understand why they wouldn't) a lot of folks here do. Issac Brock may be from Issaqua, but he shops at the New Season's on SE 21st and has a practice space across from Colonel Sumner Park off of Belmont Street. People who live here associate with that.

Yep and if you go to your pub and Malkamus is eating there, he's local and if Dave Allen steps on your foot at a show that's so local it hurts

*BaseClogger*
07-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Yep and if you go to your pub and Malkamus is eating there, he's local and if Dave Allen steps on your foot at a show that's so local it hurts

But are they performing there every month? I don't really see how where they buy their groceries or eat cheeseburgers has anything to do with their music...

westofyou
07-29-2012, 02:53 PM
But are they performing there every month? I don't really see how where they buy their groceries or eat cheeseburgers has anything to do with their music...

They pop up more than they do in your town, they show up and play with others, they try out new stuff, play under assumed names.

Not every band plays every month do they?

vaticanplum
07-29-2012, 03:23 PM
I actually mean the feel of the music more than local presence. Most major musicians live in New York for at least a little while; they may integrate as people and as musicians for decades. But not every band is a New York band in the same way that the Velvet Underground is, Television, Patti Smith, and more recently, The Strokes, etc. Members of Pavement have lived in New York for decades but Pavement is still a West Coast band. I really don't think Wilco, the band and its music, can be associated with anything but Chicago. Peter Frampton lives in Cincinnati. He's not a Cincinnati musician.

I guess this is a bit different from the original thrust of the thread, which is smaller bands in our respective cities that haven't really hit it big on a national level yet.

pedro
07-29-2012, 04:53 PM

Most of them play here more frequently than in other cities and often in much smaller venues. We saw the Shins last September in a tiny club that holds about 200 people. I've seen Britt Daniel from Spoon play as a duo with Janet Weiss in a club that holds less than 100 people. I've seen some of the bands on Isaac Brocks record label play at little clubs around town.

Now to VP's point, the Afghan Whigs will always be a Cincinnati band regardless of where Greg Dulli is living at any given time.

pedro
07-29-2012, 04:59 PM
I actually mean the feel of the music more than local presence. Most major musicians live in New York for at least a little while; they may integrate as people and as musicians for decades. But not every band is a New York band in the same way that the Velvet Underground is, Television, Patti Smith, and more recently, The Strokes, etc. Members of Pavement have lived in New York for decades but Pavement is still a West Coast band. I really don't think Wilco, the band and its music, can be associated with anything but Chicago. Peter Frampton lives in Cincinnati. He's not a Cincinnati musician.

I guess this is a bit different from the original thrust of the thread, which is smaller bands in our respective cities that haven't really hit it big on a national level yet.

Another band I heavily associate with NYC is Sonic Youth.

Speaking of places/times that have a "sound" as Baseclogger was mentioning I was always a big fan of the 90's Chapel Hill scene. Superchunk, Archers of Loaf, Small 23....

pedro
07-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Woy and my's little sister is an extra in a Corrin Tucker Band video today

BillDoran
07-30-2012, 05:09 AM
Another band I heavily associate with NYC is Sonic Youth.

Speaking of places/times that have a "sound" as Baseclogger was mentioning I was always a big fan of the 90's Chapel Hill scene. Superchunk, Archers of Loaf, Small 23....

We seem to be well off camisa's intended topic, but I think that's a fun digression, sounds of certain scenes, eras, or places.

The Bay Area's garage scene right now is tremendous. Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall, The Fresh & Onlys, Sic Alps, Sonny & the Sunsets, White Fence, Sandwitches, Shannon & the Clams, Hunx & His Punx.

pedro
07-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Bill, I've never heard of any of those bands except the first two. My chops is getting weak in my advanced age I guess. Speaking of which, here is a list of the "best" new bands in PDX in 2012 from our local weekly. I have seen exactly none of them.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-19173-best_new_band_2012.html?current_page=2

vaticanplum
07-30-2012, 01:56 PM
We seem to be well off camisa's intended topic, but I think that's a fun digression, sounds of certain scenes, eras, or places.

The Bay Area's garage scene right now is tremendous. Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall, The Fresh & Onlys, Sic Alps, Sonny & the Sunsets, White Fence, Sandwitches, Shannon & the Clams, Hunx & His Punx.

I love most of these bands. I had no idea Hunx & His Punx were Bay Areaites.

Vetiver, Kelley Stoltz, Deerhoof...the music around San Francisco is overwhelming right now, I agree. Lots of crossover too, people who play in multiple bands for periods of time, people who play in bands in Seattle and LA t make that whole area more connected musically. Very supportive music scene it seems.

edit: Pedro, I have not heard of any of those Portland bands either. We are all old.

Another music scene that I think is really strong right now is LA. Lots of good folky, intricate guitar stuff happening there. I always feel conflicted when anything good comes out of LA.

BillDoran
07-30-2012, 04:02 PM
I love most of these bands. I had no idea Hunx & His Punx were Bay Areaites.

Vetiver, Kelley Stoltz, Deerhoof...the music around San Francisco is overwhelming right now, I agree. Lots of crossover too, people who play in multiple bands for periods of time, people who play in bands in Seattle and LA t make that whole area more connected musically. Very supportive music scene it seems.

edit: Pedro, I have not heard of any of those Portland bands either. We are all old.

Another music scene that I think is really strong right now is LA. Lots of good folky, intricate guitar stuff happening there. I always feel conflicted when anything good comes out of LA.

Another SFer to watch is Jason Quaver. Totally apart from the garage stuff, but with relation to Vetiver. He plays under Papercuts (which is phenomenal and haunting and emotional and pretty much the best of its kind) and does a fair amount of producing, most notably the Skygreen Leopards' Gorgeous Johnny.

Love Portland, and I suppose it's the nature of a best new bands list, but sometimes the town can be too cool by half.

pedro
07-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Love Portland, and I suppose it's the nature of a best new bands list, but sometimes the town can be too cool by half.

without a doubt.

fearofpopvol1
07-30-2012, 07:15 PM

My friend manages that band. They have great potential. When I was in Europe last month, they were being played everywhere there. It may be slower to catch on in the US, but they're taking off overseas.

pedro
07-31-2012, 01:02 PM
They just played Walk the Moon on www.kexp.org (seattle public radio)

pedro
07-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Wussy To Join Afghan Whigs U.S. Tour
Two of Cincinnati's all-time best join forces this fall

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/blog-3759-wussy_to_join_afghan_whigs_us_tour.html

camisadelgolf
08-01-2012, 03:20 AM
Wussy To Join Afghan Whigs U.S. Tour
Two of Cincinnati's all-time best join forces this fall

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/blog-3759-wussy_to_join_afghan_whigs_us_tour.html
The Afghan Whigs show scheduled for Cincinnati was stupid expensive the last time I saw. Although I like them a lot, I don't feel a need to spend all that money seeing as how I've seen them do impromptu reunions in the past. As for Wussy, they're usually playing for free somewhere around Cincy just about every month. However, Chuck Cleaver is easily one of the best songwriters in the Midwest right now.

camisadelgolf
08-01-2012, 03:23 AM
dp

pedro
08-01-2012, 10:51 AM
The Afghan Whigs show scheduled for Cincinnati was stupid expensive the last time I saw. Although I like them a lot, I don't feel a need to spend all that money seeing as how I've seen them do impromptu reunions in the past. As for Wussy, they're usually playing for free somewhere around Cincy just about every month. However, Chuck Cleaver is easily one of the best songwriters in the Midwest right now.

I saw Wussy when they were here last month. I liked them a lot. As for the Afghan Whigs they're a long time guilt pleasure of mine. First time I saw them was at the Union in Athens for $3 in 1989. I told myself I was swearing off Dulli last time I saw the Twilight singers, just too much self loathing for me, but yeah, I'll probably go. I do love me some Afghan Whigs. Hope they bring Wussy out here with them.

camisadelgolf
08-01-2012, 03:59 PM
The Afghan Whigs were a great band, but I could probably count on less than one hand the amount of active bands I'd be willing to pay $45.86 (pre-sale price after the fees) to see at Bogart's. I have a feeling Cincinnatians are getting gouged. The Twilight Singers always did that to Cincinnati, too.

edit:
It looks like they're not price gouging on this tour. That's good to hear. I've seen The Twilight Singers charge more in Newport, KY than other cities before though.

*BaseClogger*
08-01-2012, 11:31 PM
The Afghan Whigs are playing an afternoon time slot at Lollapalooza this weekend. I wanted to see them, but I don't think I'm going to be out of work in time on Friday... :/

Johnny Footstool
09-28-2012, 01:45 PM
I finally got to see Foxy Shazam play last night. They opened for Slash (???), and they were fantastic.

The crowd was mostly rode-hard Slash fans, and it was amazing to see these middle-aged bikers go from mild, semi-polite applause at the beginning of the show to full-on jumping and cheering by the end. One guy told me, "I had never heard of this band before, but I'm going home and buying all their albums!"

I got to meet the lead singer Eric after the show. We chatted about the Reds -- he said the band was invited to sing the National Anthem on opening day, but they were on tour and couldn't make it. He also said he was hoping to get lucky and get World Series tickets, which was disheartening, because if the guy who sings the song that gets played after every Reds victory can't get tickets, then who can?

Captain13
09-28-2012, 04:09 PM
This band is local to Louisville, and growing fast. They are playing at The Palace Theater (Louisville's version of The Taft) tonight and being broadcast on public radio, WFPK 91.9. They have an outside shot to be named the opening act for ZZ Top (in Louisville, not nationally). The Tunesmiths have one CD out and play a time and genre bending mix of blues, rock and soul. Have I mentioned I love these guys?

WFPK Live Lunch performance featuring The Tunesmiths - Blindsided - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuHAmXS5xpg&feature=plcp)

The Tunesmiths - The Holler - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyxWdiE2izc)

Let me know what you guys think.

reds1869
10-05-2012, 06:31 PM
I saw a free show by The National last night at The Emery. It was a short but very good set.