PDA

View Full Version : When Votto Returns

arkimadee
07-26-2012, 10:37 AM
The Reds have an intersting decision when Votto returns from the DL. If the roster is the same as now barring no trades who gets sent down? Looking at the team right now I think the answer would have to be DFAing Cairo. Frasier will be a backup third baseman. Valdez can cover short/second/outfield and Xavier Paul is turning into the left handed bat off the bench this team needs. Cairo seems to be the weak link. No pitchers really need to be sent down right now. What do you all think?

Captain13
07-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Man, I hate to let Cairo go at this point, but I think you are right. Paul has made the most of his limited time and deserves a shot.

KYRedLeg
07-26-2012, 10:44 AM
I echo the thought that I would hate to see Cairo get DFA'd, but I do agree that he is the weak link. If you are looking solely at what is best for the numbers, I think he would go.

Sending Paul back down to AAA would cause the fewest waves, but probably isn't the best decision for the team. Once all is said and done, it's the one I see happening, though.

brm7675
07-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Real simple this isn't even tough, Paul goes back to AAA. I am not sure how anyone can think anything else would happen.

Spazzrico
07-26-2012, 11:03 AM
My guess is Paul goes down and then returns a week or two later for September call ups.

swaisuc
07-26-2012, 11:21 AM
My guess is Paul goes down and then returns a week or two later for September call ups.

Agree. The difference between Paul and Cairo off the bench for a couple of weeks in August isn't worth losing a guy over.

P.E.R#14
07-26-2012, 11:22 AM
I think designating Cairo is best for the betterment of the team, but not necessarily the best idea "relationship"-wise. Honestly, Cairo doesn't add anything to the team right now. I think the decision may simply depend on the timing of Votto's return. Three weeks from surgery would be Aug. 7th (2nd game of a three game series in MIL), four weeks would be Aug. 14th (1st game of a homestand vs. NYM). This train of thought based on the 9/1 roster expansion. For now, I don't see how Paul could be sent down. You clearly wouldn't option anyone, but Paul's playing really well right now (against the Astros).

MrRedLegger
07-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Is keeping Xavier Paul and sending Cairo to AAA and then calling him up for the extended roster an option? Or is DFA'ing Cairo the only way to keep Paul when Votto comes back? I'm confused.

Larkin88
07-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Is keeping Xavier Paul and sending Cairo to AAA and then calling him up for the extended roster an option? Or is DFA'ing Cairo the only way to keep Paul when Votto comes back? I'm confused.

Well he's got no options, so to send him to AAA you need to Designate him for Assignment. When you DFA him, he is removed from the 40 man and then has to be traded, released, or clear waivers (if not added again within a week). I'm not convinced that he wouldn't clear waivers, but as others have pointed out, it may severely damage the relationship with the player.

All a balancing act.

MrRedLegger
07-26-2012, 12:57 PM
So when you DFA a player, is sending that player to AAA an option?

Magdal
07-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Don't worry about Cairo. He will be picked up...probably by the Cards!

Stray
07-26-2012, 01:14 PM
I agree with those who said Paul goes down to AAA. He'll be back later this year when rosters expand and has a legit chance to make our postseason roster if we make it.