PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Lee waived

Trademark
08-02-2012, 05:39 PM
The Philadelphia Phillies have placed pitcher Cliff Lee on waivers, and its expected he’ll be eligible for trade.

http://www.lockerpulse.com/News/Sports-Headlines-Phillies-Waive-Cliff-Lee-and-Team-USA-takes-on-Nigeria-in-Olympics-S4210288/

Mr.Redleg82
08-02-2012, 05:47 PM
The Philadelphia Phillies have placed pitcher Cliff Lee on waivers, and its expected he’ll be eligible for trade.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/59/files/2012/08/6428722.jpg?d7b0e7

Your link is just a picture of Queen James

brm7675
08-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Most over priced players are put onthe wire each season...nothing new...

Tuff Nut
08-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Most over priced players are put onthe wire each season...nothing new...

YOU, NEVER, cease to amaze me.

I hope the Reds are at the least, players in this. Lee would be an immediate upgrade, to the rotation, and would allow the Reds to rest some starters, so they are not running on fumes, come PO time.

Trajinous
08-02-2012, 07:23 PM

I hope the Reds are at the least, players in this. Lee would be an immediate upgrade, to the rotation, and would allow the Reds to rest some starters, so they are not running on fumes, come PO time.

I don't see any other sources reporting this so I question the validity. Also, he's too expensive and really not much of an upgrade from our current guys. The depth could help but not at $20+ million.

brm7675
08-02-2012, 07:25 PM

What? Almost every team puts their high priced talent through waviers. No one is going to claim them because they are high priced. In Lee's case he is owed close to $95 million dollars, zero chance the Reds even consider.

Who Dey Time
08-02-2012, 07:38 PM

BRM is notorious for ridiculous threads, mis-information and conspiracy theories all in an attempt to make the Reds look bad.

Having said that, he is 100% correct here. All teams place most, if not all players on waivers on August 1. If a particular player clears the waiver process he can then be traded. If you remember there was an outrage about the Reds putting Griffey on waivers his first year here until the August waiver process was explained.

Tuff Nut
08-02-2012, 07:58 PM
BRM is notorious for ridiculous threads, mis-information and conspiracy theories all in an attempt to make the Reds look bad.

Having said that, he is 100% correct here. All teams place most, if not all players on waivers on August 1. If a particular player clears the waiver process he can then be traded. If you remember there was an outrage about the Reds putting Griffey on waivers his first year here until the August waiver process was explained.
I'm down for letting him clear waivers, then trading for him....IF not Lee, someone with a starting resume'. These arms, if they continue their current paces, will not carry this team thru the POs, as they have, so far, this season, IMO. Cueto is on pace for over 100 more innings, than last season..... they need rest.ie, a skipped start or 3, so they can help carry us, to the WS.

arkimadee
08-02-2012, 08:00 PM
There is no way in hell that the Reds would be able to afford that contract. It would have to include Billy Hamilton and the Phillies eating most of that deal and I don't see that happening at all. It's a good thought though. Thinking about it, he's had 2 chances the last 2 years to help a team win the world series and he hasn't been able to push them over the hump. Not saying he did a bad job but saying he wasn't that missing piece for the Rangers and Phillies

Wonderful Monds
08-02-2012, 08:01 PM

It's true though. Most big contract players do hit the waived wire come August, just for formality.

I'd love Lee to be here. Philly would need to pay a significant portion of that contract. But I'd love him to be here.

Wonderful Monds
08-02-2012, 08:02 PM
There is no way in hell that the Reds would be able to afford that contract. It would have to include Billy Hamilton and the Phillies eating most of that deal and I don't see that happening at all. It's a good thought though. Thinking about it, he's had 2 chances the last 2 years to help a team win the world series and he hasn't been able to push them over the hump. Not saying he did a bad job but saying he wasn't that missing piece for the Rangers and Phillies

But you're right though, he did a great job, it wasn't his fault.

Mr.Redleg82
08-02-2012, 08:38 PM
There is nothing confirming this, people's twitter accounts hacked as well??

Wonderful Monds
08-02-2012, 08:42 PM
There is nothing confirming this, people's twitter accounts hacked as well??

Common knowledge. Most big contract players do hit and clear waivers in August. We did it every year with Griffey and Dunn, for example.

Mr.Redleg82
08-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Common knowledge. Most big contract players do hit and clear waivers in August. We did it every year with Griffey and Dunn, for example.

That may be, but I haven't seen anything confirming this.

Wonderful Monds
08-02-2012, 08:46 PM
That may be, but I haven't seen anything confirming this.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/08/02/report-cliff-lee-placed-on-waivers/

Mr.Redleg82
08-02-2012, 08:48 PM
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/08/02/report-cliff-lee-placed-on-waivers/

Thank you, I had been searching for it

Wonderful Monds
08-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Phillies are a schizophrenic team right now though. Signed Papelbon to a big contract in the winter, just signed Hamels long term. Meanwhile they ship out a handful of good players at the deadline, and want to deal one of the game's best pitchers in recent times who they just signed long term not long ago?

Wonderful Monds
08-02-2012, 10:00 PM
25 mil through 2015 after this season.

Tell him we'll taken him if we can pay him 10 mil through that period of time each year, and give them Leake, Corcino or Cingrani, Didi, Henry Rodriguez and Chris Heisey.

brm7675
08-02-2012, 10:09 PM
25 mil through 2015 after this season.

Tell him we'll taken him if we can pay him 10 mil through that period of time each year, and give them Leake, Corcino or Cingrani, Didi, Henry Rodriguez and Chris Heisey.

Why would u give up that much for a very average pitcher this year who is on the downside of a good career.

Wonderful Monds
08-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Why would u give up that much for a very average pitcher this year who is on the downside of a good career.

To say Lee is a very average pitcher is very preliminary at this point.

bigredmechanism
08-03-2012, 12:49 AM

I agree. I'd rather have Leake for 3 more years of team control for less than 25 million per year. He's a good back end starter for what it's worth, and it saves us money to pay for our Votto's and Phillips'.

Lee is getting older and he is extremely expensive. Maybe 2 years ago I would have gone for that trade, but certainly not now. Pitching isn't really even the problem for us, in my estimation. Lately, we haven't even had a problem.

bleedsred
08-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Talk about gutting the team and going overboard with $$$...the phillies want 3 prospects and a team to take on all the money. Could be over 100 million the next 4 years due to a vesting option at the end of the contract. What happens to Cueto, Latos, or Bailey during this time?

Maker_84
08-03-2012, 01:04 PM
I guess the Dodgers are going after him hard

redsfanmia
08-03-2012, 03:26 PM
I guess the Dodgers are going after him hard

If Lee was waived they just have to put a claim in unless the Phillies pull him back, no need to go hard after him.

Redsfansince72
08-03-2012, 05:32 PM
dodgers claimed Blanton and traded for him just awhile ago.. i dont think its the dodgers now that claimed Lee. would that be a coup if its the Reds???

Mr.Redleg82
08-03-2012, 06:55 PM
MLB network says Dodgers are the ones who put claim on Lee

arkimadee
08-03-2012, 07:45 PM
The Royals are the team I hear :)