PDA

View Full Version : If you can't say anything nice....

Mr.Redleg82
08-04-2012, 06:50 PM
I've only been a member of this forum for about a month and I've noticed the sun deck is slightly negative ( nobody overreact to that statement please!). In this thread I'd like everyone to say some positive things about our Redlegs.

I'll start, we swept 3 series in a row and we have the best record in the MLB. Ryan Ludwick has also been one of the best offseason pickups for any team so far this year.

Brisco
08-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I've only been a member of this forum for about a month and I've noticed the sun deck is slightly negative ( nobody overreact to that statement please!). In this thread I'd like everyone to say some positive things about our Redlegs.

I'll start, we swept 3 series in a row and we have the best record in the MLB. Ryan Ludwick has also been one of the best offseason pickups for any team so far this year.

Redleg82, I tried a very similar thread last year. I hope yours turns out better than mine. By the fourth response, the thread had become another way for the bashers to make negative points through snarky or back-handed compliments.

But again, I hope yours turns out better!

I will add to the thread by saying that I love that the Reds are winning and never had to switch to a "future be damned, win now" philosophy. Castellini/Jocketty has stayed true to his vision to have a Reds team that would be built to be competitive year in and year out.

drowg14
08-04-2012, 06:57 PM
We have been winning without Votto. And more recently without BP. When they come back we could be even better.

FloridaBuckeye
08-04-2012, 06:58 PM
I love dusty baker!

Ironman92
08-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Drew Stubbs is really fast.

jback76
08-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Take away Drew Stubbs strikeouts and his play on fly balls hit in front of him in the outfield and he's not a bad player at all.

Mr.Redleg82
08-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Redleg82, I tried a very similar thread last year. I hope yours turns out better than mine. By the fourth response, the thread had become another way for the bashers to make negative points through snarky or back-handed compliments.

But again, I hope yours turns out better!

I will add to the thread by saying that I love that the Reds are winning and never had to switch to a "future be damned, win now" philosophy. Castellini/Jocketty has stayed true to his vision to have a Reds team that would be built to be competitive year in and year out.

Thank you for the vote of confidence and your input. Baseball is a game and therefore is supposed to be fun. As reds fans we should realize how far and few these great seasons are. Even if we lose every game from here on out its been a great season and we have much to be happy about/look forward to.

FloridaBuckeye
08-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Take away Drew Stubbs strikeouts and his play on fly balls hit in front of him in the outfield and he's not a bad player at all.

if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.. :lol:

FloridaBuckeye
08-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Thank you for the vote of confidence and your input. Baseball is a game and therefore is supposed to be fun. As reds fans we should realize how far and few these great seasons are. Even if we lose every game from here on out its been a great season and we have much to be happy about/look forward to.

we lose every game from here on out... i have a hard time seeing anyone remain happy on this message board

Mr.Redleg82
08-04-2012, 07:04 PM
if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.. :lol:

One of my all-time favorite sayings! Can't wait to have kids to use it and to tell them "you can't always get what you want.."

Ironman92
08-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Todd Frazier is the new age Chris Sabo and we now have the Nasty Boys II

Mr.Redleg82
08-04-2012, 07:05 PM
This has been great so far.

Mr.Redleg82
08-04-2012, 07:06 PM
we lose every game from here on out... i have a hard time seeing anyone remain happy on this message board

So sadly true

Mr.Redleg82
08-04-2012, 07:08 PM
We've had the same 5 man rotation all year. The only team to have that luxury I believe. Not to mention they've all been outstanding.

FloridaBuckeye
08-04-2012, 07:08 PM
We've had the same 5 man rotation all year. The only team to have that luxury I believe. Not to mention they've all been outstanding.

four of the five have been... Leake not so much

Mr.Redleg82
08-04-2012, 07:09 PM
four of the five have been... Leake not so much

Touché, but at least we haven't had to throw some Busch leaguer in there to spot start. Consistency, health wise, is part of the battle

Ironman92
08-04-2012, 07:09 PM

You're cup is very full. 65-97 sucks....and a 56 game losing streak to close the season would be tough on our playoff chances.

Mr.Redleg82
08-04-2012, 07:12 PM
You're cup is very full. 65-97 sucks....and a 56 game losing streak to close the season would be tough on our playoff chances.

That was my fault, I was being too optimistic. We have a great team, I was just trying tO get everyone to realize that with this thread.

Ironman92
08-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Aroldis Chapman may re-define the thought of speed and power. How many guys in history can throw as fast as anyone ever and run as fast as Drew Stubbs?

FloridaBuckeye
08-04-2012, 07:16 PM

yeah, if we lose out then i will be very pissed... i wont be one of the optimists :eek:

Mr.Redleg82
08-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Aroldis Chapman may re-define the thought of speed and power. How many guys in history can throw as fast as anyone ever and run as fast as Drew Stubbs?

What's his 40 time?

FloridaBuckeye
08-04-2012, 07:17 PM
What's his 40 time?

you will probably have more success searching for a 60 time

Mr.Redleg82
08-04-2012, 07:18 PM
you will probably have more success searching for a 60 time

Or a 90 time?

FloridaBuckeye
08-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Or a 90 time?

baseball players run a 60 for comparison... not the 40

Ironman92
08-04-2012, 07:22 PM
What's his 40 time?

I do a lot of timing and such and was a varsity track coach for 5 years....I have never timed him in anything, but if he ever covers first watch him his first 4-5 strides...it's incredibly impressive. Folks around the Reds are not sure if Stubbs could beat him. Chris Welsh swears he'd be in the Olympics (maybe a bit much...but he's impressive)

I'd pay to watch him and Stubbs race....home-first, 60 yard and 100m

The_Mudshark
08-05-2012, 08:02 AM
For the first time in years, when our late inning hurlers come into games I am not worried at all. We did have a rough patch just before the ASB, and Chapman had that weird week after all the legal stuff, but for the most part this bullpen has been lights out.

Though anything can happen in a game, and we have seen the Reds blow some leads this year - going forward I am extremely confident that if a starter exits the game with a lead, Reds win.

I didn't like the Broxton addition at first but after giving it more thought and seeing him in action it is safe to say that it was a great move and we have the best bullpen in baseball.

DocRed
08-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Mike Leake is an excellent judge of quality T-Shirts...

BluegrassRedleg
08-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Walks will haunt.

Jefferson24
08-05-2012, 05:49 PM

but not size

The Rage
08-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Hard to complain about the Reds, even with the slump in starting pitching. This team picks everybody up.

Mr.Redleg82
08-05-2012, 06:20 PM

Not sure what you're referring to, but a month or two ago I was at a game and saw a lady wearing a shirt that said "Mike Leake stole my heart". I thought it was hilarious.

Falcon7
08-05-2012, 06:48 PM

Yes, a 5 way tie for the Cy Young!

P.E.R#14
08-06-2012, 10:47 AM
This is the easiest team to watch in a long time!! I'm to the point that I expect them to win and when they don't, I just assume they will the following day. The way they've played without Votto (and now Phillips) really makes a statement. This team may have flaws, but who doesn't? This is baseball. You get about 18 days off in six months. Loving this season!

Go Reds!!

jback76
08-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Yes, I love watching this team play. Although part of me just feels like the bottom is going to fall out anyday now. Also like Drew Stubbs a lot with the speed and power, just hope he figures the hitting thing out one of these days before they give up on him.

joshua
08-06-2012, 11:37 AM
The Reds fanbase has been overly negative as long as I can remember. Between the Reds previous struggles, the lost decade and waiting for the Bengals season to start, to only wish it was over after week 4 and then hoping spring training comes soon...it's easy to see why. A few seasons of consecutive playoff appearances and a World Series, plus a Bengals playoff win would go a long way in turning around the pessimism in and around Cincinnati. And it looks like we're on our way there.

I love how well the team is doing...I'm also loving the old school beanball the Reds played against the Pirates this weekend. I've never seen a team get into another team's head so badly.

The_Mudshark
08-06-2012, 12:26 PM
waiting for the Bengals season to start, to only wish it was over after week 4 and then hoping spring training comes soon....

Man, since graduating from college and moving back to Cincinnati, I have been repeating that process on an annual basis. Good to see the two sports will overlap again (meaningfully)! :laugh:

panzecaz03
08-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Chapman is good

MrRedLegger
08-06-2012, 12:38 PM
I've noticed that older Reds fans tend to be more negative than younger ones. They've seen this team succeed....they've seen this team really succeed. It reminds me of while I've lived in Lexington for 6 years now, it was impossible to find a happy Wildcats fan while Billy G was the coach. "UK basketball is the best of the best...why are we losing to Gardner Webb??" attitudes were rampant (this is not a shot to Dusty, he's the man, and that's my opinion)

Getting back to my point, as someone here has already stated and probably on a different thread, but to younger Reds fans this is the season everyone has been dreaming about. Our record is amazing, we're in first place, and it's August. We have the best hitter in baseball. We have the best pitching corps in baseball. We have the best defense in baseball. We have the best fans in baseball. We have the best moustaches in baseball.

Now, if you consider everything above, I can see how some people who watched the BRM and the 1990 teams make history get livid over this team we have if and only if we were underacheiving...but we're not. The above is true and we're playing like the best team in the league. If a player goes down, the team plays on (and in our case, wins a bunch of games)

You can put down your pitchforks and extinguish your torches. We're not drinking kool-aid, we're living a fantasy.

smixsell
08-06-2012, 04:02 PM
1) Dusty is doing a much better job than previous seasons,especially in the accountability department.

I was present for 3 games in SF and Dusty was having Hatch "take players aside" on several occasions between innings, and it was obvious from the faces that the players were being "put staight" about things they should be doing better. And I'm not even talking about obvious errors, but things as "little" as failing to take the proper defensive position according to the team's scouting report. Stark contrast to the games I attended last year where even fairly large mistakes were not "addressed" so immediately.

2) BP is more focused on winning than I've ever seen him before, and is playing the best baseball of his career IMO.

He's having less fun when we lose than I've ever seen him before. Way to go BP. Keep it up. You're actually turing into something of a leader on the field, and it's beautful baby!

3) Our bullpen is THE BEST IN THE BIG LEAGUES BABY.

They are, quite simply bad*ss!!!!!!!!!

4) Our starting pitchers have all improved significantly and are good enough, when our bullpen is weighed into the equation, to take us to the WS and win it IMO.

Yes we are good enough to win the WS this year.

5) RYAN LUDWICK IS THE BAT WE'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR TO HIT BEHIND VOTTO.

Like the tag line from an old Chuck Norris or Steven Segal movie: He's back and he's "badder" than ever. Dang Ryan!

6) while Drew Stubbs has not morphed himself into Pete Rose as a hitter, he is showing some strong evidence that "the lights are coming on."

He's taking the hard stuff the other way more, pulling the soft stuff and the mistakes, and making better contact. He was actually doing these things better earlier in the season before his oblique injury, and now seems to be back at it. PS Don't underestimate the importance of the oblique injury in his horrible spell this year. Oblique injuries are famous for being both NASTY and SLOW to fully heal for ballplayers.

7) Todd Frazier is the real deal.

8) Scott Rolen can still hit.

The power may not come back fully, but he has shown he can still get clutch hits, play good 3B, and run the bases. Lets hope he stays healthy.

9) Zack Cozart is already very good and will likely get much better at the plate.

Silky smooth SS's who can hit a bit almost always continue to improve at the plate with age (e.g. Davey Concepcion, Ozzie Smith, Barry Larkin)

10) Almost everybody on the team has shown that they have a HIGHER GEAR.

:beerme:
:party::usa::KoolAid:

Continued later......... (my fingers are getting tired.)

Brisco
08-06-2012, 04:34 PM
1) Dusty is doing a much better job than previous seasons,especially in the accountability department.

I was present for 3 games in SF and Dusty was having Hatch "take players aside" on several occasions between innings, and it was obvious from the faces that the players were being "put staight" about things they should be doing better. And I'm not even talking about obvious errors, but things as "little" as failing to take the proper defensive position according to the team's scouting report. Stark contrast to the games I attended last year where even fairly large mistakes were not "addressed" so immediately.

2) BP is more focused on winning than I've ever seen him before, and is playing the best baseball of his career IMO.

He's having less fun when we lose than I've ever seen him before. Way to go BP. Keep it up. You're actually turing into something of a leader on the field, and it's beautful baby!

3) Our bullpen is THE BEST IN THE BIG LEAGUES BABY.

They are, quite simply bad*ss!!!!!!!!!

4) Our starting pitchers have all improved significantly and are good enough, when our bullpen is weighed into the equation, to take us to the WS and win it IMO.

Yes we are good enough to win the WS this year.

5) CRAIG LUDWICK IS THE BAT WE'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR TO HIT BEHIND VOTTO.

Like the tag line from an old Chuck Norris or Steven Segal movie: He's back and he's "badder" than ever. Dang Craig!

6) while Drew Stubbs has not morphed himself into Pete Rose as a hitter, he is showing some strong evidence that "the lights are coming on."

He's taking the hard stuff the other way more, pulling the soft stuff and the mistakes, and making better contact. He was actually doing these things better earlier in the season before his oblique injury, and now seems to be back at it. PS Don't underestimate the importance of the oblique injury in his horrible spell this year. Oblique injuries are famous for being both NASTY and SLOW to fully heal for ballplayers.

7) Todd Frazier is the real deal.

8) Scott Rolen can still hit.

The power may not come back fully, but he has shown he can still get clutch hits, play good 3B, and run the bases. Lets hope he stays healthy.

9) Zack Cozart is already very good and will likely get much better at the plate.

Silky smooth SS's who can hit a bit almost always continue to improve at the plate with age (e.g. Davey Concepcion, Ozzie Smith, Barry Larkin)

10) Almost everybody on the team has shown that they have a HIGHER GEAR.

:beerme:
:party::usa::KoolAid:

Continued later......... (my fingers are getting tired.)

This "Craig Ludwick" sounds awesome! :lol: :thumbup:

smixsell
08-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Oooops LOL! :D Craig Ludwig was a defenseman for the Montreal Canadiens during one of their Stanley Cup winning seasons way back in the day. I am a big Canadiens fan as well and often make that slip, despite how often my wife has correctsd me. :lol::eek:

OGB
08-06-2012, 05:32 PM
I was not happy when the Reds signed Ludwick, but I was the first to say that I hope he proves me wrong.
So I was wrong, and I couldn't be happier.

smixsell
08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
I wasn't thrilled either, but I did have one of those "funny feelings" that he was going to do very well for us. I think I mentioned it on a thread before the season started.

Anyway, regardless about what anybody thought, Craig is just RIPPING THE BALL ALL OVER PLACE!!!!! :beerme: You go Craig!

Ironman92
08-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Oooops LOL! :D Craig Ludwig was a defenseman for the Montreal Canadiens during one of their Stanley Cup winning seasons way back in the day. I am a big Canadiens fan as well and often make that slip, despite how often my wife has correctsd me. :lol::eek:

Did you seriously mess that up accidentally? Lol I just assumed it was something I didn't understand.

chuck6660
08-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Yes i agree with everyones positive comments... this glass is half full :)

This team is another Big Red Machine, Sparky Baker is a genius (especially the way he keeps inserting Miguel Cairo in the line-up so he doesn't get cold).

The starting pitchers know they can afford to give up 4-5 runs in a "tough" inning because this potent offense will pick them up :confused:

Also we all know that the Pirates will fold and the Cards can't keep winning with all their injuries. So no worries, we are a sure thing ;)

And, We do have the best bullpen in baseball :beerme:

smixsell
08-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Did you seriously mess that up accidentally? Lol I just assumed it was something I didn't understand.

Yep. I still have Craig Ludwig's stellar post seasonfor the Canadiens reverberating through my subconscious! LOL :-)

Falcon7
08-07-2012, 01:00 AM
I think this team will win about 25 to 27 games (around .500) the rest of the season, will it be enough?

smixsell
08-07-2012, 10:58 AM
I think we'll win around 30-32 the rest of the way, if we stay healthy. That would give us about 97 wins. I think that will be enough for 5 game lead in our division.

Kingspoint
08-10-2012, 03:28 AM
Chapman is getting some rest.

smixsell
08-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Our players aren't having to run the bases very often, so they're not tiring themselves out as much as they were during the winning streak and should be better rested as a result.

jback76
08-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Miggy has a nice smile

smixsell
08-10-2012, 12:44 PM
"You're never as good as you look when you win, and you're never as bad as you look when you lose."