PDA

View Full Version : Hughes/Navarro

coryfly
08-05-2012, 12:04 AM
I don't post often, or really hardly ever, but I read the game threads almost every game as I watch. Anyway, the wife and I went out to eat tonight so I only caught the first 4 innings or so and had to keep up with the rest on my phone. As I got home I came back here to check the thread even though the game was over (as I said, I really enjoy them) and saw some posts and threads about this situation with Hughes and Navarro. Would anyone mind telling me exactly what happened?? Just curious. Go Reds!!

Wonderful Monds
08-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Tapper to the pitcher by Navarro, Hughes ran the ball to 1B and Navarro caught up to him down the line, so instead of just tagging him, Hughes gave him a pretty good elbow and did this stupid tough guy strut back to the mound.

Grant11955
08-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Tapper to the pitcher by Navarro, Hughes ran the ball to 1B and Navarro caught up to him down the line, so instead of just tagging him, Hughes gave him a pretty good elbow and did this stupid tough guy strut back to the mound.

From Reds fan standpoint, I loved Hughes classless push-- a sucker punch in the form of a forearm shivver. It showed that Reds have gotten into heads of Pirates and all Pirates can think about is cheap revenge against Reds instead of focusing on winning. I feel sorry for Pirates who seem fated to fail. They were a happy bunch a week ago. Now they are miserable team with miserable fans again.

coryfly
08-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Ah, thanks. Yeah, I agree the Reds are into their heads a bit, which is good as I have thought another team has been in our heads a little too much in previous years. It is good to be on top and be the one everyone else can hate. It is always better that way.

BurgervilleBuck
08-05-2012, 12:38 AM
It showed that Reds have gotten into heads of Pirates and all Pirates can think about is cheap revenge against Reds instead of focusing on winning.
Fair point. If you go to MLB.com and watch the video of Hurdle being ejected, the Pittsburgh announcers are incensed that both benches were warned because it negated any opportunity for "retribution."

My response was, seriously? Winning is a better retribution.

RedsFanInBama
08-05-2012, 12:55 AM
I loved it. Hughes was the one running his mouth before the series about how they were coming here and winning. Loved seeing him get saddled with the 'L' tonight.

Sweep tomorrow.

FWIW, I didn't like the teams getting warnings after Harrison's HBP. However, Harrison's stupid reaction to the pitch basically forced the umpire's hand.

smixsell
08-05-2012, 01:25 AM
pirates: "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! :(

coryfly
08-05-2012, 01:33 AM
I'm actually watching the last few innings now as they are replaying it. Cairo made a heck of a play to end the 8th. So I should see the play here in a minute anyway, but I'm going to enjoy Rolen's triple first.

coryfly
08-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Ha ha, man he looked like an idiot walking back to the mound bobbing his head up and down.

Cicero2.0
08-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Ha ha, man he looked like an idiot walking back to the mound bobbing his head up and down.

If you look up mouth breather in the dictionary there is a picture of him.

Red Raindog
08-05-2012, 04:45 AM
I loved it. Hughes was the one running his mouth before the series about how they were coming here and winning. Loved seeing him get saddled with the 'L' tonight.

Sweep tomorrow.

FWIW, I didn't like the teams getting warnings after Harrison's HBP. However, Harrison's stupid reaction to the pitch basically forced the umpire's hand.

+1

fielder's choice
08-05-2012, 12:35 PM
It was nothing.

Ironman92
08-05-2012, 12:49 PM
It was nothing.

If it was nothing I wouldn't have cussed at the tv for 30 seconds. It was completely a display of "more worried about being the tough guys and less about making the play and doing what it takes to win"

I like how Hurdle handles these young teams and this us against the world mindset has done them well....but McCutchen was wrong (but understandable in the moment, but his anger should've been gone by 1st base)....Harrison's response was completely retarded, just clueless anger and Hughes IMO topped Harrison.

A win today with the Pirates wanting to kick our tails so badly might just send them packing the rest of the way.....but I wouldn't count them out today.

I think I'll watch.

BluegrassRedleg
08-05-2012, 05:39 PM
It was nothing.

Agree. There was a little extra "umph" on it, but not a big deal. Hughes' body language after the play was actually worse than the actual bump.

parkgold12
08-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Hughes pitches every time out on the mound like he is mad at the world so he going back to the mound head bobbing is just him....McCutchen was right all the way for being unhappy for being hit intentionally on Friday night...Harrison took his a bit too personal on Saturday night.

Good series overall and will be a crime if both teams are 2 of the 5 in the NL playoffs!

Wonderful Monds
08-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Hughes pitches every time out on the mound like he is mad at the world so he going back to the mound head bobbing is just him....McCutchen was right all the way for being unhappy for being hit intentionally on Friday night...Harrison took his a bit too personal on Saturday night.

Good series overall and will be a crime if both teams are 2 of the 5 in the NL playoffs!
lmao!

IABucFan
08-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Let me just post a reply from a Pirates' fan's perspective. I don't troll, just a guy who likes baseball and enjoy talking about the games.

I thought McCutchen had every right to be upset on Friday night. I watch most Pirates games, and I've NEVER seen him that visibly upset. Watching on T.V., he doesn't get all that animated during games. He strikes me as kind of an introvert, not that that's bad, it just seems like his personality. For him to get that upset, something must have really set him off.

Looking at the facts surrounding the event, he is without question the Pirates best player. The game was all but decided at that point. Sorry, but there was no way the Pirates were scoring three on chapman there, especially with two of the next three being lefties, neither or whom hit lefties particularly well, sandwiched around switch-hitting Neil Walker, who is not a very good hitter for the right side. The pitch was up and in, at 101. If he was trying to brush him back, and misses hitting him in the head, you're talking concussion. If he was trying to hit him, I think he should have taken a little off, cause coming at 101, you could break a bone. No other pitch Chapman threw was close to hitting anyone. But, let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he wasn't trying to hit McCutchen. I think Andrew still felt that if he's going to come in there at 101, he'd better be able to control it.

Skip ahead to last night. Harrison got hit in nearly the same place (I certainly didn't think that one was intentional) and both benches were warned. Hurdle is understandably upset because his bench has now been warned when his team has yet to his one of the Reds players. Suppose McDonald (who has had a history of control problems) let's one get away accidentally. Does he get tossed out of the game for that?

I think the thing with Hughes was a combination of being frustrated giving up the lead, all that had transpired with the bean-balls, and just his own demeanor. Supposedly, he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet off the mound, but what you saw last night (walking back to the mound huffing and puffing) is his standard MO. I don't personally like it, but the Pirates beat writer for the Post Gazette asked him about it, and he just said it helps him pitch better.

Anyway, congrats on a good series. You guys deserved to win this series, and I think you'll probably run away with the division now. I hope we can hold on for one of the WC spots.

P.E.R#14
08-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Let me just post a reply from a Pirates' fan's perspective. I don't troll, just a guy who likes baseball and enjoy talking about the games.

I thought McCutchen had every right to be upset on Friday night. I watch most Pirates games, and I've NEVER seen him that visibly upset. Watching on T.V., he doesn't get all that animated during games. He strikes me as kind of an introvert, not that that's bad, it just seems like his personality. For him to get that upset, something must have really set him off.

Looking at the facts surrounding the event, he is without question the Pirates best player. The game was all but decided at that point. Sorry, but there was no way the Pirates were scoring three on chapman there, especially with two of the next three being lefties, neither or whom hit lefties particularly well, sandwiched around switch-hitting Neil Walker, who is not a very good hitter for the right side. The pitch was up and in, at 101. If he was trying to brush him back, and misses hitting him in the head, you're talking concussion. If he was trying to hit him, I think he should have taken a little off, cause coming at 101, you could break a bone. No other pitch Chapman threw was close to hitting anyone. But, let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he wasn't trying to hit McCutchen. I think Andrew still felt that if he's going to come in there at 101, he'd better be able to control it.

Skip ahead to last night. Harrison got hit in nearly the same place (I certainly didn't think that one was intentional) and both benches were warned. Hurdle is understandably upset because his bench has now been warned when his team has yet to his one of the Reds players. Suppose McDonald (who has had a history of control problems) let's one get away accidentally. Does he get tossed out of the game for that?

I think the thing with Hughes was a combination of being frustrated giving up the lead, all that had transpired with the bean-balls, and just his own demeanor. Supposedly, he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet off the mound, but what you saw last night (walking back to the mound huffing and puffing) is his standard MO. I don't personally like it, but the Pirates beat writer for the Post Gazette asked him about it, and he just said it helps him pitch better.

Anyway, congrats on a good series. You guys deserved to win this series, and I think you'll probably run away with the division now. I hope we can hold on for one of the WC spots.

I won't speculate on the McCutcheon incident, but I do hate seeing benches warned preemptively. The warning and ejection of Hurdle however were solely based on Harrisons reaction. I do not feel Harrison was hit intentionally (we were up 2-1 in the second or third I think). If he takes his base and doesn't try to stare down Leake and act like a hard-ass, there is no warning, the Pirates can choose whether or not to hit a Reds player and then the warning comes out. Hurdle argued with good reason, but the actions of Harrison are what caused the warning.

Go Reds!

mikemo14
08-06-2012, 11:58 PM
IABUC FAn,

Hughes is very fortunate that it was Navarro he took the cheap shot at instead of Mesaraco or he would have gotten the fight he apparently wanted to start.