PDA

View Full Version : Strange question

jhiller21
08-15-2012, 09:36 PM
I've always wondered, why do fielders (especially Phillips) tag the runner standing on the bag after an out is made? Phillips just did it tonight before the final out was made. The ball is caught by an outfielder, lobbed back to the infield, and he tags the runner on second who is clearly standing on the bag.

It's almost like the phantom swipe tag on a throw to second after a long single and the runner is still at first, but that's understandable.

Z-Fly
08-15-2012, 09:44 PM
In case the runner steps off for a split second. Probably out of habit, more than anything else.

jhiller21
08-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Kind of a stupid question, I know. But it just appears strange when the baserunner is obviously back on the bag. Maybe just habit?

Trajinous
08-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Sometimes if they they slide, their momentum takes them off the bag. Also they may have missed the previous bag and Phillips tagged just in case.

bigredmechanism
08-15-2012, 10:19 PM
It's probably best to just always go for the out. If that freak 1/1000 occurrence happens, it paid off.

jhiller21
08-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Sometimes if they they slide, their momentum takes them off the bag. Also they may have missed the previous bag and Phillips tagged just in case.

You always hold the tag on if they slide, this guy was just standing there after a fly ball. The previous bag thing makes sense, but he had already advanced from first on the earlier play.

Just a weird thing I noticed. I've really only seen Phillips do it, maybe a few other guys.

jhiller21
08-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Also Phillips has been known to deke players, and try everything he can under the sun to get a possible out, so it's probably just habit to tag runners whenever he can.

DannyB
08-16-2012, 07:25 AM
Maybe its just Brandons way of saying "hi" or "WTG" without really looking like it.

Zimmers
08-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Still playing as I do over here, I play first and even if a runner is safe at first on a pickoff I still tag just to let him know. I know I was taught at a very young age to always tag no matter what, so it's probaly the same reason he does it.

S.Wells
08-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Because you never know when a runner is gonna fall asleep and take his foot off the bag. It is fundamentally sound baseball.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

code
08-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Didn't he get an out this way in last year's All Star Game?

I think the guy over slid on the base and Brandon kept his glove on him after the play. Ump called the guy out..