PDA

View Full Version : A interesting question

Carin4Narron
08-21-2012, 12:00 PM
As Reds fans, I know we don't want this. But considering that Melky Cabrera was the All Star MVP for the NL and was suspended 50 games for violating the MLB drug policy.

Could a AL team sue MLB to get home field avantage for the World Series due to the NL using a ''questionable'' player in the All Star game?

Trajinous
08-21-2012, 12:24 PM
As Reds fans, I know we don't want this. But considering that Melky Cabrera was the All Star MVP for the NL and was suspended 50 games for violating the MLB drug policy.

Could a AL team sue MLB to get home field avantage for the World Series due to the NL using a ''questionable'' player in the All Star game?

No. The NL won by 8-0 so even if they took away the runs Cabrera was invovled with, they would still win. Also, that's a ridiculous thing to argue against nullifying an All-Star game.

MrRedLegger
08-21-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't think they can. I know the issue of arguing over home field has come up, but all he did was hit a 2 run HR when the NL was already up by 6 runs. Don't remember if he did anything on the field.

I don't think anything is going to change.

texasdave
08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Here's another interesting question to ponder. If the Giants gain a playoff spot - either division champ or wildcard - can other NL teams sue, making the claim that cheating dog Melky Cabrera made the difference?

OGB
08-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Here's another interesting question to ponder. If the Giants gain a playoff spot - either division champ or wildcard - can other NL teams sue, making the claim that cheating dog Melky Cabrera made the difference?

The answer to both of these questions is a resounding "no."

There are several reasons for this.
First of all, every owner in the game knows that their first responsibility is to protect their investment in their business. Introducing lawsuits to MLB is not good for the league and not good for anyone's bottom line.
Second, it is not unprecedented for an owner to be forced to sell. I would imagine the other owners and commissioner's office wouldn't be too happy about a frivolous lawsuit and might consider this action.
Third, and most important, the legal system in America does not work in a way that would facilitate this. The process of resolving something in court takes months or years.

texasdave
08-21-2012, 01:16 PM
The answer to both of these questions is a resounding "no."

There are several reasons for this.
First of all, every owner in the game knows that their first responsibility is to protect their investment in their business. Introducing lawsuits to MLB is not good for the league and not good for anyone's bottom line.
Second, it is not unprecedented for an owner to be forced to sell. I would imagine the other owners and commissioner's office wouldn't be too happy about a frivolous lawsuit and might consider this action.
Third, and most important, the legal system in America does not work in a way that would facilitate this. The process of resolving something in court takes months or years.

I think you may have misread the statement. It is not 'WILL they sue?'. It is 'CAN they sue?'. Do they have legal precedent and backing to sue? I am pretty certain that it won't occur and that it would be bad for baseball. I do agree with you on that. However, that, in and of itself, does not mean a team does not have a legal right to bring forth a lawsuit.

BungleBengals
08-21-2012, 01:26 PM
I think he should at least have to give up the car. :)

webbbj
08-21-2012, 01:32 PM
if teams started suing over stuff like this we could / would have law suits everyday if teams wanted to get petty.

What if teams started suing Umps for incompetancy of game calling, or for a pitcher who threw a spit ball, or a batter who corked hit bat, or the utility infielder that got caught w/ PEDs but hit a slap single to help one regular season game.

Theres a myriad of possibilities that could never stop.

On that one game everyone was playing w/in the rules of the game. Melkey had not proven to do anything wrong up to that point and was good to go for the game.

ervinsm84
08-21-2012, 01:40 PM
No. Do you think teams would be allowed to appeal any of their regular losses to the Giants that Melky played in? Can't see how it would be any different.

Biff Pocoroba
08-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Well, perhaps they could just put an asterick next to the games in which the giants/NL has home field (though it could get confusing given that the asterick is used for "if necessary")