PDA

View Full Version : Dusty

EMAW
08-21-2012, 11:48 PM
I read last week that the owner wanted him to stay for a long time (presumably as manager) and yet no deal done or even seems to be in the works. Granted I am a Dustaholic, but does anyone else think he is as good as gone at seasons end? Hunch that Walt J. brings in his own guy at the end of season. If not LaRussa maybe Leyland (thin ice in Detroit)

Stray
08-22-2012, 12:19 AM
He'll be back

Ironman92
08-22-2012, 05:46 AM
He'll get signed through 2016

HometownHero
08-22-2012, 08:23 AM
He'll get signed through 2016

A 4 year deal for a 63 year old manager? Its hard for any manager to get 4 years guaranteed you have to be young and win like Mike Scioscia or be coveted and take over a project. Dusty got 4 years from the Cubs after going to the World Series and taking over a 95 loss team being 10 years younger.

Larkin88
08-22-2012, 09:17 AM
A 4 year deal for a 63 year old manager? Its hard for any manager to get 4 years guaranteed you have to be young and win like Mike Scioscia or be coveted and take over a project. Dusty got 4 years from the Cubs after going to the World Series and taking over a 95 loss team being 10 years younger.

Given his time and tenure here, I'm note sure the Reds wouldn't want 3 or 4 years if they came cost effectively.

Personally, at 63, I'm not sure Dusty would necessarily want to manage that much longer, though. It's going to be interesting to see. I hope they can extend him at least for another few years to create some continuity during the time that our window is, arguably, open at its widest.

MrRedLegger
08-22-2012, 12:46 PM
He should be back and I'm glad he will be, for any amount of time. I've been a Dusty guy since the hire, and I think his and the teams' success has swayed some (but not all) opinions of him.

Dusty for MOY!

IamRV
08-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Won't be back, regardless our outcome. Had they wanted him back he would've been extended by now and would've left Sweet in Louisville. They will lowball him during the offseason, allowing him to move on to a higher bidder and then insert Rick Sweet as our manager going forward. Can't wait.

BungleBengals
08-22-2012, 02:49 PM
I know Dusty makes some questionable decisions (leaving pitchers in too long, suspect lineups, hanging on to veterans too long, etc.) but you cannot deny that he is a winner. The guy ranks Top 20 in Managerial wins and has consistently turned franchises around. He took the Giants to World Series and almost got the forsaken Cubs there. Now he has turned around our franchise that has been struggling for years. We had great success in 2010 and now we are near the tops on 2012. The players love him and he takes up for them a lot. I would hate to see him leave.

MrRedLegger
08-22-2012, 03:01 PM
He took the Giants to World Series and almost got the forsaken Cubs there.

Those 2 things, especially the 2nd, do not go into consideration when Dusty is being talked about.

Red Raindog
08-22-2012, 03:13 PM
I know Dusty makes some questionable decisions (leaving pitchers in too long, suspect lineups, hanging on to veterans too long, etc.) but you cannot deny that he is a winner. The guy ranks Top 20 in Managerial wins and has consistently turned franchises around. He took the Giants to World Series and almost got the forsaken Cubs there. Now he has turned around our franchise that has been struggling for years. We had great success in 2010 and now we are near the tops on 2012. The players love him and he takes up for them a lot. I would hate to see him leave.

When you note Dusty ranks top twenty in wins -- I think it only fair to note he ranks top twenty losses too!

texasdave
08-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Dusty is the Jim Kaat of managers.

xsteve1
08-22-2012, 05:27 PM
When you note Dusty ranks top twenty in wins -- I think it only fair to note he ranks top twenty losses too!

Considering the franchises he has managed especially the Reds and Cubs anything over .500 is exceptional. The winningest manager in baseball history, Connie Mack had a winning percentage at .486. Sparky was at .545 but he had unbelievable talent. Dusty may be unorthodoxed but baseball is such a strange game that being unorthodoxed may be the way to go. I hope they bring him back. He shows emotion and seems to keep a clubhouse happy.

panzecaz03
08-22-2012, 05:35 PM
People always hate on Dusty.. If he is winning us games and taking the Reds to the playoffs why wouldn't you want him here. I hope we resign him and no matter how much we all hate his line-ups or pitching changes, its somehow working with him around.

Ironman92
08-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Can't speak for other....but this team in this league....making the playoffs is just not enough.

The NL is so open....Reds have that "luck" factor the WS Champions often need (Twins both times, Marlins both times, Mets, Cardinals last year, Dbacks).....add into that one of the best pitchers on their biggest challenge won't be playing?

This needs to be the year.

jback76
08-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Can't speak for other....but this team in this league....making the playoffs is just not enough.

The NL is so open....Reds have that "luck" factor the WS Champions often need (Twins both times, Marlins both times, Mets, Cardinals last year, Dbacks).....add into that one of the best pitchers on their biggest challenge won't be playing?

This needs to be the year.
I totally agree with this!