PDA

View Full Version : This late in the season...

BluegrassRedleg
08-23-2012, 11:41 PM
... can't continue to run two guys out there on the Interstate in the lineup together, let alone in the 6 and 7 holes. That just blows my mind.

I said I'd be happy with a split before this series, so I'll be happy with it, but c'mon Dusty... enough of Cairo and Valdez. :thumbdown:

Let's put our A Team out there and beat up some dirty birds! :)

HometownHero
08-23-2012, 11:52 PM
It does get old watching these dudes. Cairo is at least washed up but I've never understood how Wilson Valdez is in the majors dating back to before we even got him.

BluegrassRedleg
08-23-2012, 11:56 PM
It pains me to criticize Cairo because he's a pro's pro and given a lot to the Reds over the years. But to have him out there in the 6 hole with a BA 120-some points lower than Hanigan is absurd. And it bit the Reds tonight.

Maker_84
08-24-2012, 12:27 AM
I take comfort in the fact that we wont be seeing these lineups in the playoffs and the A team will always be out there

Who Dey Time
08-24-2012, 12:29 AM
I take comfort in the fact that we wont be seeing these lineups in the playoffs and the A team will always be out there

This and the fact that Dusty has a very strong winning percentage in September. While it can be frustrating at times he absolutely understands how to manuver guys in and out to have them as fresh as possible for all 162.

goreds18
08-24-2012, 01:39 AM
I agree. It's frustrating enough when one of them gets a start, but man, hitting back to back? I understand Dusty's philosophy of resting players, but it's just extremely frustrating.

I thought we would go into tonight with an attitude to win a series against pitchers we never beat, gain some confidence, and have some momentum heading into the STL series.

jback76
08-24-2012, 08:44 AM
I agree. It's frustrating enough when one of them gets a start, but man, hitting back to back? I understand Dusty's philosophy of resting players, but it's just extremely frustrating.

I thought we would go into tonight with an attitude to win a series against pitchers we never beat, gain some confidence, and have some momentum heading into the STL series.

Agree very frustrating. Then you have Hanigan buried under Cairo and Valdez and ahead of the pitchers spot, it's like playing with 5 on offense. And with the Cards winning yesterday to me it feels like losing the 1st game of a 4 game series to St.Louis.

Biff Pocoroba
08-24-2012, 09:08 AM
I don't have a major problem with Dusty starting both of them last night. Good to give Brandon a night off given his recent struggles in the field and at the plate. Made sense with Rolen as well given that he had started at third the first three games of the series.

With Chapman and Broxton unavailable, it was the type of night where you try to scrape across a few runs and ride your ace. The Phillies helped spoil that plan by working Cueto's pitch count.

I too thought Hanigan should be hitting sixth, but I don't think that's enough to lose sleep over.

dubc47834
08-24-2012, 10:31 AM

I think it's better to rest guys in the last game of a series against a team not in our division, then go strong against the Cards. The Phillies aren't chasing us, its the Cards!!! To me its common sense.

Captain13
08-24-2012, 11:05 AM

If he didn't hit them back-to-back then one of them would have been in the 1 or 2 hole, the backlash would've been greater.

Biff Pocoroba
08-24-2012, 11:11 AM

I think we are doing just fine in the confidence and momentum department.

Trajinous
08-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Daily Reminder of the Day!

Joey Votto is coming back soon, the Reds have a 26-12 record since he's been gone.

Stray
08-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Yeah I can't wait for Votto to get back. Our lineup has been doing great in his absence, but as soon as we gotta get someone a day off it's a gigantic drop off.

Are there any updates on him? I haven't heard much.

R_Webb18
08-24-2012, 12:44 PM
i use to be upset about the lineup but now i don't care. yes they suck but owell ill just root for them. getting mad about a lineup does nothing

P.E.R#14
08-24-2012, 01:00 PM
... can't continue to run two guys out there on the Interstate in the lineup together, let alone in the 6 and 7 holes. That just blows my mind.

I said I'd be happy with a split before this series, so I'll be happy with it, but c'mon Dusty... enough of Cairo and Valdez. :thumbdown:

Let's put our A Team out there and beat up some dirty birds! :)

Every single team in Major League Baseball has their Valdez's and Cairos'. Some teams start them everyday. Just be glad we aren't one of those teams. First place by 7 games. Breath, exhale, repeat.

Go Reds!

P.E.R#14
08-24-2012, 01:03 PM
I don't have a major problem with Dusty starting both of them last night. Good to give Brandon a night off given his recent struggles in the field and at the plate. Made sense with Rolen as well given that he had started at third the first three games of the series.

With Chapman and Broxton unavailable, it was the type of night where you try to scrape across a few runs and ride your ace. The Phillies helped spoil that plan by working Cueto's pitch count.

I too thought Hanigan should be hitting sixth, but I don't think that's enough to lose sleep over.

If you bat Hanny 6th, Cario, Valdez and Pitcher are 7, 8, 9. The servers would fry if those three batted consecutively.

BluegrassRedleg
08-24-2012, 03:29 PM
This and the fact that Dusty has a very strong winning percentage in September. While it can be frustrating at times he absolutely understands how to manuver guys in and out to have them as fresh as possible for all 162.

I'm all for keeping guys fresh and making sure your bench guys have enough ABs to be effective, I'm just saying not 2-3 of them at the same time and in higher up in the order. I would love to know via Bill James or Baseball Reference or whoever if a team ever had guys hitting 6 and 7 in the modern era with batting averages in the .100s.

Get Cairo a day. Get Valdez a day. Get Heisey a day. But split 'em up, and stick 'em where their numbers say they should be in the lineup.

jback76
08-24-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm all for keeping guys fresh and making sure your bench guys have enough ABs to be effective, I'm just saying not 2-3 of them at the same time and in higher up in the order. I would love to know via Bill James or Baseball Reference or whoever if a team ever had guys hitting 6 and 7 in the modern era with batting averages in the .100s.

Get Cairo a day. Get Valdez a day. Get Heisey a day. But split 'em up, and stick 'em where their numbers say they should be in the lineup.

I agree, I think it's embarrassing to have 2 sub .200 hitters with well over 100 at bats each in the same lineup this late in the season.

BluegrassRedleg
08-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Every single team in Major League Baseball has their Valdez's and Cairos'. Some teams start them everyday. Just be glad we aren't one of those teams. First place by 7 games. Breath, exhale, repeat.

Go Reds!

Seattle is the only other one that comes close.

And I think you completely misinterpreted the tone of that comment. I'm neither screaming nor panicking. Just a simple observation on what is alleged to be a baseball discussion forum. :)