PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati Questions

Australian Red
08-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Hey all,

My mate and i are massive reds fans and looking at possible trip next season to watch some games or head to the UK for some cricket. But looking at how much it would cost etc. So have a few quick questions.

Which is the closest airport to cincinnati?

Are tickets easy to get a hold of for a general member of the public or are they mostly season ticket holders?

Is it possible get tickets as a reds fan to an away series? If so would we be allowed to wear colours or will there be trouble?

And last but probably the most important what's a standard price for a beer in Cincinnati :beerme:

Thanks

Who Dey Time
08-24-2012, 12:33 AM
Hey all,

My mate and i are massive reds fans and looking at possible trip next season to watch some games or head to the UK for some cricket. But looking at how much it would cost etc. So have a few quick questions.

Which is the closest airport to cincinnati?

Are tickets easy to get a hold of for a general member of the public or are they mostly season ticket holders?

Is it possible get tickets as a reds fan to an away series? If so would we be allowed to wear colours or will there be trouble?

And last but probably the most important what's a standard price for a beer in Cincinnati :beerme:

Thanks

CVG (Cincinnati/Northern KY) Airport is closest. About a 20-minute drive into downtown Cincinnati.

Depends on when you want to come. Weekday tickets are pretty easy especially during April and May. Weekend tickets can be tough but, in general, you will get in at a good price.

Away series depends on the team. I've been to a few road series and baseball tends to be very calm even for road fans. Unless you are begging for an ass kicking you will be fine :)

A large, American beer runs $9 at GABP.

Hope you can make it in. Hell, if we go to the same game I'd be more than happy to buy the 1st round!

Australian Red
08-24-2012, 12:49 AM
CVG (Cincinnati/Northern KY) Airport is closest. About a 20-minute drive into downtown Cincinnati.

Depends on when you want to come. Weekday tickets are pretty easy especially during April and May. Weekend tickets can be tough but, in general, you will get in at a good price.

Away series depends on the team. I've been to a few road series and baseball tends to be very calm even for road fans. Unless you are begging for an ass kicking you will be fine :)

A large, American beer runs $9 at GABP.

Hope you can make it in. Hell, if we go to the same game I'd be more than happy to buy the 1st round!

Cheers for that, if we do it we would probably suss out the fixture and look for a good stretch of home games and try to get tickets early.

Converted to Aussie Dollars that's reasonable for a beer, will be legless tho if all games last as long as they did tonight.

HometownHero
08-24-2012, 01:02 AM
You can get some great deals on Stub hub for tickets, I tend to buy from them on most all events/games I go to anymore.

Australian Red
08-24-2012, 01:21 AM
Cheers just checked out Stub Hub, prices for matches are bloody cheap. You probably can';t see any of the match but still.

OGB
08-24-2012, 01:47 AM
If you're talking about spending time in Cincinnati in general, beers can run between two to six dollars depending on what you like to drink. You can get off your tits in Cincy in a much more affordable fashion than most major American cities.

As far as being in a nother city watching a game goes, follow general fan etiquette and you'll be ok. Basically this mmeans wear whatever you want, cheer for your team, don't cheer vociferously against the other team, and don't talk trash to other fans. Most baseball fans will be friendly to you if you're polite and just rooting your team along as they do well.

The Indianapolis airport might be worth checking out as it is an hour and a half from Cincinnati and accommodates Southwest airlines. You'd have to get a rental car, but if you can save enough money it might be worth it. Probably not gonna be cheaper, but worth checking out.

OGB
08-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Allow me to reiterate, there is a lot to do in Cincinnati during the summer and you can get drunk a lot cheaper than most other American cities. If you decide to come and need advice, feel free to pm me, I'd love to help. I love my hometown.

OGB
08-24-2012, 01:56 AM
One more thing: tickets are extremely easy to come by if you buy them in advance. If the Reds do well in the postseason this year, more people will go to the games next year, but in general tickets bought a few months in advance are easy to come by

MrRedLegger
08-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Reds tickets are the most affordable in baseball - fact.
They're a very likeable team, I've never met a fan of another team who didn't like Reds fans or was a jerk about them coming to their ballpark, wear Red and respect the other team's defeat.

Getting drunk in Cincy is awesome and you have plenty of options:

Downtown can offer both upscale and casual drunkenness. Cheap and expensive, it depends on where you want to go.

Mt. Adams is just to the east of downtown and it overlooks the skyline. Great hangout spots, centered toward a "younger" crowd but it welcomes and is suitable for all ages. (Some bars are built like nightclubs) Drinks are relatively cheap and it's a great atmoshpere. Upbeat club-like and also your casual chill-zones everywhere. Women everywhere.

Clifton is a little further outside of downtown to the north. University of Cincinnati is there so lots of college style bars, but again you can find your quiet chill zone to drink or your drunken rage place where everyone is yelling. Lots of live music and young women.

Nothern Kentucky offers a lot. Newport on the Levee is never a bad time and has great restaurants and a few bars. Hofbrauhaus is a must see if you're in Cincinnati. It's a good place to go before the game because there's a drunk cruise boat that will drop you off at the stadium/take you back afterwards. They sell booze on the boat and encourage cramming all the partying you can do in the 10 minute ride.

There are also other good bars scattered along the riverline in northern kentucky, but beware because it gets real ghetto real fast.

Drinks will be the same pretty much wherever you go ($3-$7) depending on what you're drinking.

Louisville is a little closer airport than Indy and it also supports Southwest.

DocRed
08-24-2012, 10:17 AM
That's awesome and I love your questions! I would also check out Razor Gator, I tend to find cheaper tickets there than Stub Hub. Pretty much all away ballparks are very safe and not unruly at all and many people wear away team jerseys at every game. (unless you are a SF Giants fan visiting the LA Dodgers).

I think its awesome that you are a Reds fan from Australia! How may I ask did you become such a big Reds fan?

Literati
08-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Dayton airport is about an hour from Cincy and flights are considerably less expensive than CVG.
Seats at Great American Ball Park are pretty affordable: even the seats in the highest section offer a pretty good view. If you are booking in advance I would try to look at the events calendar for when they have half price days for seniors, singles, business man specials, etc....
Enjoy the Queen City!

Australian Red
08-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Thank you all, this has helped with my research and hopefully it comes to fruition and i can see some reds games.