PDA

View Full Version : 8/24/12 - Reds vs Cards

Pages : 1 [2]

Kc61
08-24-2012, 09:34 PM
The use of Arredondo and Hoover last night comes back to haunt. Simon really isn't the guy for this situation.

He's hardly pitched in weeks, this isn't a good spot for him.

Now second and third, 3-0 count. Oy.

edabbs44
Reds are down 1 run in this game and up 7 games in the division. Just wanted to post that in case any newcomers to the thread thought the Reds were losing 10-0 and lost 9 games in the standings since last night.

cincrazy
This is why Simon is a 6th inning pitcher.

Reds Fanatic
Simon now looking like the pitcher the Orioles got rid of.

mbgrayson
Question: Did the Reds send Latos back to Cincinnati early, or did he get in at 4:00 a.m. this morning like the rest of the team?

Simon sure didn't leave early last night....

I think these guys might just be a little tired.

edabbs44
This is why Simon is a 6th inning pitcher.

It's the 6th inning.

cincrazy
08-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Reds are down 1 run in this game and up 7 games in the division. Just wanted to post that in case any newcomers to the thread thought the Reds were losing 10-0 and lost 9 games in the standings since last night.

Thank you. I didn't know every game was game 7 of the World Series.

Kc61
Simon now looking like the pitcher the Orioles got rid of.

He must be incredibly rusty.

Reds Fanatic
Furcal singles to center. 7-5 Cards. 7 straight batters have reached. Still no outs.

cincrazy
It's the 6th inning.

Yeah I know. But it's a "high leverage" situation so to say. This is why you don't see him in the 8th

edabbs44
08-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Yeah I know. But it's a "high leverage" situation so to say. This is why you don't see him in the 8th

Agree, was just pointing out the irony.

Reds Fanatic
Carpenter hitting for Kelly

Kc61

Even though they pitched yesterday, he might bring in Hoover or Arredondo just to get out of this inning.

Or else it could be a huge deficit soon.

dman
NM

George Foster
08-24-2012, 09:37 PM

With who we got pitching Sat, and Sunday...we needed to win this one. Neither of them pitch well in GABP. It could be a 4 game lead by Sunday afternoon, and St. louis would have all the mojo..

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Carpenter sac fly to center. 8-5 Cards.

Tony Cloninger
08-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Everyone was happy when the Pirates were being beat and acting like the Cards were done.... Yeah OK. Just beacuse it happened last year does not mean it will happen again.....but the fact is, this Cards team is better than last year's team.

Reds Fanatic
An ugly night for Latos as he is charged with 7 earned runs.

cincrazy
Not only that, but it's these kind of moments when the fact that Walt sat back and did nothing at the trade deadline to make this team a viable playoff contender. Yes, there's still a very good chance the Reds may make it there, but I fear seeing the same thing that happened in 2010 take place again in 2012.

The Cardinals, as much as I loathe them, have some very playoff experienced players with Holliday, Beltran, Molina and so on... Those guys make a huge difference in these kind of games during regular season. I hate being made to look like a AAA team by the Cardinals.

Seriously? You don't thnk we're a viable contender? Come on man. Don't overreact to the disappoint of this one game.

redsfandan
08-24-2012, 09:40 PM
the inability to put the ball in play with runners in scoring position with less than 1 out has hurt this team all year.

Still no outs, walk,....Latos has officially lost it...

We ain't playin the Cubs or Astros...

An ugly night for Latos as he is charged with 7 earned runs.

EVERY pitcher has an off day. That's when the offense has to take over.

RedLegsToday
Seriously? You don't thnk we're a viable contender? Come on man. Don't overreact to the disappoint of this one game.

This. Didn't we sweep this team the last time we saw them?

Reds Fanatic
Nice play by Cozart on a 6-4 FC.

Tony Cloninger
It's not, but that home run just seemed inevitable after all the chances the Reds let slip away. One decent chance for the Cards and they blow the doors off. Frustrating.

Exactly. It;s the fact it is this team that i loathe like the Yankees, Steelers and used to be the Dodgers.....and probably will be again after this last trade.

cincrazy
08-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Everyone needs to calm down, go to Walgreens for some meds, and return home ready to see a Reds come from behind win.

Tony Cloninger
08-24-2012, 09:42 PM

Do you think they are going to the playoffs.....and I think they are a good team....but with Valdez (Ray Oyler) and Cairo (Tom Lawless) sitting on the bench? I do not think they are that good.

George Foster
EVERY pitcher has an off day. That's when the offense has to take over.

Sure they do. However you can't have all your "off" days against good competition.

To quote the Ole Ball Coach...."big time players come up big...in big time games."

Tom Servo
Everyone needs to calm down, go to Walgreens for some meds, and return home ready to see a Reds come from behind win.
Even if we win, it would be hard to feel good about this.

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Another wild pitch

cincrazy
Do you think they are going to the playoffs.....and I think they are a good team....but with Valdez (Ray Oyler) and Cairo (Tom Lawless) sitting on the bench? I do not think they are that good.

In the playoffs our main guys off the bench will be Frazier/Rolen and Heisey. So yes, I think this team is that good. Cairo and Valdez will hardly see any time.

dman

No, I really don't. As much as I love this team and have thoroughly enjoyed watching what has happened, I don't think they can hold up.

Playadlc

I am way more aggravated at this thread than I am at this game.

I swear Reds fans just sit around waiting for bad things to happen.

Depressing.

edabbs44
Even if we win, it would be hard to feel good about this.

I think Simon is the only one right now who should be really feeling really awful right about now.

Tony Cloninger
08-24-2012, 09:44 PM
In the playoffs our main guys off the bench will be Frazier/Rolen and Heisey. So yes, I think this team is that good. Cairo and Valdez will hardly see any time.

Hmmmm..... I guess I have not seen Dusty value these guys as much as you have?

Reds Fanatic
Beltran walks

mbgrayson
The inning from Hell.....

Is finally over.

dman
08-24-2012, 09:45 PM

Yes, we swept the Cards the last time we saw them, but a much different Cards team in terms of healthy players then compared to now.

kbrake
Do you guys think this team has been lucky for the entire season? One game goes sideways and now people are thinking this team isn't even a playoff contender. Wow.

Reds Fanatic
It is finally over. Holliday grounds out to short. 8-5 Cards mid 6th.

cincrazy
Hmmmm..... I guess I have not seen Dusty value these guys as much as you have?

Votto has been out. And he's trying to keep guys fresh. Guys won't be getting days off in the playoffs.

Kc61
Reds can still win this ballgame but they have to get good relief pitching.

Can't give up any more runs.

edabbs44
Do you guys think this team has been lucky for the entire season? One game goes sideways and now people are thinking this team isn't even a playoff contender. Wow.

So sad. In addition, it is only the 6th inning.

Homer Bailey
08-24-2012, 09:46 PM
OK, I need to separate myself as someone who is just upset and frustrated by this game, and those that are completely overreacting.

Playadlc

It's just unreal for such a quality board.

mbgrayson
Could we call in a rainstorm for four hours RIGHT now? That would nullify those runs, and Reds win 5 to 2... At least under the old rules.

Tom Servo
08-24-2012, 09:47 PM
OK, I need to separate myself as someone who is just upset and frustrated by this game, and those that are completely overreacting.
I'll second this. I'm not ready to declare anything over, although this game has just seriously bummed me out. We still have a chance tonight. And if not, there's tomorrow.

redsfandan
08-24-2012, 09:47 PM
So, since Valdez and Cairo are on the team, THAT'S why you don't think the Reds are a playoff team? C'mon.

Sure they do. However you can't have all your "off" days against good competition.

To quote the Ole Ball Coach...."big time players come up big...in big time games."

Does it really matter in the end who the bad games are against? Not until the playoffs.

Tony Cloninger
08-24-2012, 09:48 PM

Not at all. But it does show how sitting on your hands again.....during the trading deadline for even a decent bat off the bench....is going to hurt this team trying to come back.

The bullpen has been a gas can as well lately. Hard to come back when the bullpen throws it back up. Arredondo has never met a 1-2-3 inning, Broxton is "unlucky" to the point of being bad.

Reds Fanatic
Salas in to pitch

Reds Fanatic
Stubbs strikes out swinging.

cincrazy
08-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Can't believe after the season these guys have given us, with the way they've played without Votto, some of you are jumping ship over ONE GAME. Embarrassing.

Kc61
Cards have a murderous road trip. Everyone relax, only one game.

Stubbs strikes out.

Marty is going through all the men left on base for the Reds without mentioning that Latos was hitting in many of the key spots.

Phillips up.

Tony Cloninger
So, since Valdez and Cairo are on the team, THAT'S why you don't think the Reds are a playoff team? C'mon.

Does it really matter in the end who the bad games are against? Not until the playoffs.

NO....they are a playoff team.. They are just not a team that I see going far....with a bench that has those 2.

mth123
Can't believe after the season these guys have given us, with the way they've played without Votto, some of you are jumping ship over ONE GAME. Embarrassing.

:thumbup:

REDSEER
08-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Not at all. But it does show how sitting on your hands again.....during the trading deadline for even a decent bat off the bench....is going to hurt this team trying to come back.

The bullpen has been a gas can as well lately. Hard to come back when the bullpen throws it back up. Arredondo has never met a 1-2-3 inning, Broxton is "unlucky" to the point of being bad.

But if you think about it, when we get Votto back, we will have one of Frazier/Rolen/Ludwick/Votto on the bench every day, along with Paul, who has been great off the bench since he's been up. Getting Votto back upgrades the bench, too.

Tom Servo
08-24-2012, 09:50 PM
That helps, honestly. Now I can watch the rest of this game while repeating "Votto is coming. Votto is coming. Votto is coming." in my head and feel better, like Bart at Kamp Krusty.

_Sir_Charles_
08-24-2012, 09:51 PM

It's certainly showing who the bandwagon fans are. That's for sure.

BTW...I still think we win THIS game.

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Phillips strikes out swinging.

kbrake
08-24-2012, 09:52 PM

Not trying to pick on you but I keep seeing the "Walt sat on his hands" Maybe there was no good deal to be made. This team is sitting in a really good situation to have a pretty long run of success. As far as the bullpen they have definitely hit a rough patch but they are the best bullpen in the league.

I love this team. And I don't mean the Reds, obviously we all do we're on a message board on a Friday night, I mean this 2012 Cincinnati Reds team. I freaked out 6 weeks ago when Votto went down and thought the season was probably over. They've played incredible for those 6 weeks without their MVP. They can pitch, they play good defense, and they can hit a little bit. They battle back constantly and most importantly they are just a really good team.

I think we are going to be playing in October and I don't think it will look anything like 2010.

Brutus
It's certainly showing who the bandwagon fans are. That's for sure.

BTW...I still think we win THIS game.

I think this game is over, but I think it's just *this game* that is over. I don't think it's any way indicative of the rest of the season.

redsfandan

Agreed.

NO....they are a playoff team.. They are just not a team that I see going far....with a bench that has those 2.

Well, we'll find out now won't we?

dman
As fans, is it safe to say that all of us see certain trends? As I've watched, the only one of our starting pitchers that is holding up is Cueto, and even he has been fading just a tad, yet even if he doesn't, he can't prop this team up by himself until the end of September, especially if the offense isn't going to give the pitchers some run support. Bronson always seems to be big opposing team inning away from blowing a big lead, as we see tonight, same for Latos... Homer is a head case, and I'm not sure of Leake. Games like this, and more specifically a series like this drives home the fact that something needed and should have been done at the trade deadline to shore up any one of the ares that this team could sorely use help in. Anything to help prop this team up would've been great.

Homer Bailey
If you're basing the fate of this year's team in the playoffs based off the 25th man, can you please tell me who'll win the super bowl this year based on final cuts coming up soon?

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Ludwick strikes out swinging. 8-5 Cards after 6.

Brutus
The Reds have struck out 10 times in 6 innings.

Tony Cloninger
But if you think about it, when we get Votto back, we will have one of Frazier/Rolen/Ludwick/Votto on the bench every day, along with Paul, who has been great off the bench since he's been up. Getting Votto back upgrades the bench, too.

I am waiting. It's starting to remind of the slow crawl of one of Justin Mornaeus injuries. Not Votto's fault of course.

Brutus
08-24-2012, 09:55 PM
As fans, is it safe to say that all of us see certain trends? As I've watched, the only one of our starting pitchers that is holding up is Cueto, and even he has been fading just a tad, yet even if he doesn't, he can't prop this team up by himself until the end of September, especially if the offense isn't going to give the pitchers some run support. Bronson always seems to be big opposing team inning away from blowing a big lead, as we see tonight, same for Latos... Homer is a head case, and I'm not sure of Leake. Games like this, and more specifically a series like this drives home the fact that something needed and should have been done at the trade deadline to shore up any one of the ares that this team could sorely use help in. Anything to help prop this team up would've been great.

If the only one that is holding up is Cueto, how have they gone 30-12 since the All-Star break?

BCubb2003
Something psycho always happens between these two teams.

Five runs through six is actually pretty decent run support.

Tony Cloninger
Not trying to pick on you but I keep seeing the "Walt sat on his hands" Maybe there was no good deal to be made. This team is sitting in a really good situation to have a pretty long run of success. As far as the bullpen they have definitely hit a rough patch but they are the best bullpen in the league.

I love this team. And I don't mean the Reds, obviously we all do we're on a message board on a Friday night, I mean this 2012 Cincinnati Reds team. I freaked out 6 weeks ago when Votto went down and thought the season was probably over. They've played incredible for those 6 weeks without their MVP. They can pitch, they play good defense, and they can hit a little bit. They battle back constantly and most importantly they are just a really good team.

I think we are going to be playing in October and I don't think it will look anything like 2010.

No problem. A few here are....even when I agreed with what they are posting....when they were being negative as well.

cincrazy
08-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Cincrazy's fact of the day: Even if the Cards sweep us by a combined score of 60-12 this series, we still lead them by four games.

Oh, and some guy named Votto comes back soon.

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Broken bat ground out to 3rd by Craig.

dman
08-24-2012, 09:57 PM
If the only one that is holding up is Cueto, how have they gone 30-12 since the All-Star break?

I'm going to gamble and say that much of it was that they were that good for that stretch, but we all know there were many breaks that fell our way also. Look, I'm simply posting as an observer. I'm no expert, and I'm certainly not trying to incite anything on here in a negative way. Please don't take what I'm saying so personally. Just casual observations.

cincrazy
08-24-2012, 09:58 PM
No problem. A few here are....even when I agreed with what they are posting....when they were being negative as well.

I'm not trying to pick on you Tony. I just think you're overreacting to one game man. I've got a sick feeling in my stomach too. This game sucks. But the beauty of baseball is, the tide turns fast. Tomorrow is a new day. The 2000 Yankees were DREADFUL in September, and won the World Series. The 2006 Cards won 83 games. Won the World Series. The Cards sweeing us here wouldn't decide anything, let alone this one game.

Tom Servo
08-24-2012, 09:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Xx0uE.png

it can always be worse

_Sir_Charles_
I swear, one of these days someones going to get killed by an impaled broken bat. Just scary sometimes.

Reds Fanatic
Molina strikes out swinging.

REDSEER
Nice change up there from Simon. He's settled in a bit this inning. Just keep this team in striking distance and we've seen what they can do.

Kc61
08-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Something psycho always happens between these two teams.

Five runs through six is actually pretty decent run support.

Exactly. Five runs usually wins for this team. Cueto and Latos with subpar outings in games against good teams.

Too bad, but the team isn't going down the tubes. Just a couple of bad outings by the team's best starters.

I'm confident that Cueto and Latos will come back next time against Arizona.

This series, maybe the Reds can pull out this game or beat Garcia or Wainright.

George Foster
I think this game is over, but I think it's just *this game* that is over. I don't think it's any way indicative of the rest of the season.

sure...not the rest of the season but this sets the tone for THIS series. If we don't come back, it will be one of the worst losses of the year. Up 5-2 with Latos pitching in the 6th, Chapman rested, we should win.

Leake and Bailey have not exactly been lights out in GABP.

BCubb2003
I swear, one of these days someones going to get killed by an impaled broken bat. Just scary sometimes.

It was almost Chapman.

Reds Fanatic
Freese hit by the pitch

powersackers
08-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Phillips strikes out swinging.

Phillips too awesome to run to first his last two times whiffing on in the dirt pitches. He looks like a fool. Just run.

Tom Servo
08-24-2012, 10:02 PM
This series, maybe the Reds can pull out this game or beat Garcia or Wainright.
if we do, we still have at worst a 6 game lead.

cincrazy
Phillips and Ludwick were really pressing last inning, swinging at awful pitches. These guys just need to take a deep breath.

_Sir_Charles_
It was almost Chapman.

I know. I was holding my breath on that one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very "old school" and I love the sound of a ball hitting a wooden bat...but there are days I think we'd be better served just switching to aluminum. Not to mention this crazy hesitation by stadiums to not extend the netting to well beyond the dugouts. Unfortunately it's going to take some horrific event to change things.

Kc61
08-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Pirates trail by three in the ninth, but Mr. Axford is doing his thing. Walked two in the inning, Pirates with a threat.

Tony Cloninger
08-24-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm not trying to pick on you Tony. I just think you're overreacting to one game man. I've got a sick feeling in my stomach too. This game sucks. But the beauty of baseball is, the tide turns fast. Tomorrow is a new day. The 2000 Yankees were DREADFUL in September, and won the World Series. The 2006 Cards won 83 games. Won the World Series. The Cards sweeing us here wouldn't decide anything, let alone this one game.

Not at all. I am good.

The tone has been set though and It blows. You have to pitch better than Latos did tonight.

_Sir_Charles_
08-24-2012, 10:04 PM
if we do, we still have at worst a 6 game lead.

Think positive guys. Everyone's looking at worst case scenarios or ways to escape one.

Reds Fanatic
I know. I was holding my breath on that one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very "old school" and I love the sound of a ball hitting a wooden bat...but there are days I think we'd be better served just switching to aluminum. Not to mention this crazy hesitation by stadiums to not extend the netting to well beyond the dugouts. Unfortunately it's going to take some horrific event to change things.

Major league hitters using aluminum bats would be scary. I would not want to be a pitcher with a line drive hit off an aluminum bat coming back at me.

Schumaker singles

Kc61
Meanwhile, Simon is lousing up this inning. I guess you don't want to waste more pitching so he stays in, but he's not really helping things.

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Anoher wild pitch. 4 for the game and 3 of them from Simon

_Sir_Charles_
Major league hitters using aluminum bats would be scary. I would not want to be a pitcher with a line drive hit off an aluminum bat coming back at me.

Schumaker singles

True. Maybe some other alternative. Something that DOESN'T shatter.

Brutus
What does "setting tones" mean?

Honestly, tones don't win baseball games. Tomorrow the score will start out 0-0. That is a fact.

cincrazy
08-24-2012, 10:06 PM
I think I just broke my pinky toe on the corner of my in-table. And my brother just unleashed an epically disastrous fart. This night is unraveling quickly.

Tony Cloninger
What does "setting tones" mean?

Honestly, tones don't win baseball games. Tomorrow the score will start out 0-0. That is a fact.

I am tone deaf anyways....so who knows. It sounded ominous and foreboding....so I used it.

Reds Fanatic
Schumaker grounds out to short. 8-5 Cards mid 7th

Kc61
08-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Simon has hardly pitched lately, so I'll give him a pass for some troubles last night and this.

After tonight, the pass is over and he should be more effective.

Go Reds.

_Sir_Charles_
I think I just broke my pinky toe on the corner of my in-table. And my brother just unleashed an epically disastrous fart. This night is unraveling quickly.

Considering my mood, making me laugh HARD right now is quite impressive. :O) Well done cincrazy. :beerme:

dman
True. Maybe some other alternative. Something that DOESN'T shatter.

I say we just go to wiffle ball sets. Some nasty curve balls with that, plus you'd have to on some serious PEDs to get big numbers there.

Tony Cloninger
08-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Simon has hardly pitched lately, so I'll give him a pass for some troubles last night and this.

After tonight, the pass is over and he should be more effective.

Go Reds.

Problem is when will Baker think about using him again? Catch 22 with him it seems.

Reds Fanatic
Meanwhile in Pittsburgh John Axford is in the process of blowing the lead. It is now 6-4 Brewers and the Pirates hasve 2 on with 1 out.

Brutus
I am tone deaf anyways....so who knows. It sounded ominous and foreboding....so I used it.

Well, kudos to your honesty and use of vernacular. :beerme:

George Foster
Meanwhile, Simon is lousing up this inning. I guess you don't want to waste more pitching so he stays in, but he's not really helping things.

With the guy we got pitching for us tomorrow...you need a rested bull pen.

You honestly don't know what your going to get from Leake start to start. He was given all kinds of runs against the Phillies and he was thowing batting practice to them.

CrackerJack
I'm going to gamble and say that much of it was that they were that good for that stretch, but we all know there were many breaks that fell our way also. Look, I'm simply posting as an observer. I'm no expert, and I'm certainly not trying to incite anything on here in a negative way. Please don't take what I'm saying so personally. Just casual observations.

The Reds' beat up on bad teams, they have had an easy schedule, they're a very good team, it's how they do in series like this that concerns me, because it'll be just like this one in October, or last night, with or without Votto.

We can only "hope" they stave off the Cardinals, because a 4-5 game lead ain't all that if they can't take 2 of 3. It's hard not to be a bit concerned.

But losing to the Cardinals in a game they should win like tonight, considering the next two matches, is ridiculously frustrating.

Not sure why some posters can't just understand that and let some things pass and shrug it off, it's baseball, it's the internet, people overreact, people have differing opinions, that's life.

_Sir_Charles_
I say we just go to wiffle ball sets. Some nasty curve balls with that, plus you'd have to on some serious PEDs to get big numbers there.

You know, I've always wanted to see some big leaguers play wiffle ball. I think it would be a total blast to watch. Dead serious.

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Descalso in to play 2nd. Edward Mujica in to pitch

Brutus
Meanwhile in Pittsburgh John Axford is in the process of blowing the lead. It is now 6-4 Brewers and the Pirates hasve 2 on with 1 out.

Now the Brewers... there's a team going nowhere this postseason unless they buy tickets.

OldXOhio
Cards have a murderous road trip. Everyone relax, only one game.

Stubbs strikes out.

Marty is going through all the men left on base for the Reds without mentioning that Latos was hitting in many of the key spots.

Phillips up.

Must get Stubbs into 8 hole. Soon.

Kc61
Problem is when will Baker think about using him again? Catch 22 with him it seems.

Good point. When a guys is designated "long man" he rarely gets a chance. He's like an insurance policy,.

A lot of folks wanted Simon used more in later innings, maybe they were correct.

Anyway if the Reds need him in the next week or so the rust should be off.

Tom Servo
I'm going to assume that the most negative people just hate the Cardinals (like most of us do) so much that nothing makes rational sense to them right now.

Reds Fanatic
You know, I've always wanted to see some big leaguers play wiffle ball. I think it would be a total blast to watch. Dead serious.

Arroyo would be a great wiffle ball pitcher

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Bruce strikes out swinging

Kc61
Cards haters remember. If they don't get hammered in Cincy, they'll get hammered in Pittsburgh. And if they don't get hammered in Pittsburgh, they'll get hammered in D.C.

Reds Fanatic
Cards bullpen has struck out 10 batters

dman
08-24-2012, 10:11 PM
The Reds' beat up on bad teams, they have had an easy schedule, they're a very good team, it's how they do in series like this that concerns me, because it'll be just like this one in October, or last night, with or without Votto.

We can only "hope" they stave off the Cardinals, because a 4-5 game lead ain't all that if they can't take 2 of 3. It's hard not to be a bit concerned.

But losing to the Cardinals in a game they should win like tonight, considering the next two matches, is ridiculously frustrating.

Not sure why some posters can't just understand that and let some things pass and shrug it off, it's baseball, it's the internet, people overreact, people have differing opinions, that's life.
Thank you!!! That was much of what I wanted to articulate, but just kept forgetting.

_Sir_Charles_
Arroyo would be a great wiffle ball pitcher

LOL. True. I'm picturing crazy stuff like bugs bunny cartoons. :O)

Reds Fanatic
Frazier strikes out swinging. 11 of the last 13 outs are strike outs.

Brutus
08-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Reds are up to 12 K's. Looks like they're gonna roll over for the rest of tonight.

George Foster
Frazier strikes out swinging. 11 of the last 13 outs are strike outs.

that's incredible..

Kc61
Cards pitchers struck out five in a row TWICE tonight.

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Rolen grounds out. 8-5 Cards after 7.

_Sir_Charles_
Reds are up to 12 K's. Looks like they're gonna roll over for the rest of tonight.

Yep, it is looking that way. Unfortunately.

powersackers
About to go play some Battlefield 3 on PC. That'll turn the mood that this game has placed me in around . Anyone join me?

Reds Fanatic
that's incredible..

The Reds hitters looked so good the first 3 innings and incredibly bad after that.

Brutus
08-24-2012, 10:14 PM

If they take 2 of 3, it's still a 6-game lead.

Losing to the Cardinals in a game they "should win" is nothing more than losing a game that should have been won. It doesn't hold extra special implications because they lost it. Not sure why some can't understand that.

You're right about one thing though...people do overreact. That's really the most important point here.

cincrazy
08-24-2012, 10:15 PM
About to go play some Battlefield 3 on PC. That'll turn the mood that this game has placed me in around . Anyone join me?

I would be in if I had that game.

What's that song say, again? Love is a battlefield? That's certainly the case with the Reds.

Tony Cloninger

Cards bullpen is not this good that they should strikeout this many....hence my inability to separate the cards ability to not roll over and play up to their competition.

Reds Fanatic
Descalso grounds out.

cincrazy
08-24-2012, 10:16 PM
What the hell was that? Did the lights just go out in the stadium briefly?

_Sir_Charles_
08-24-2012, 10:17 PM

Camera man fell asleep. ;)

cincrazy

Maybe it was just my tv screen.

Reds Fanatic

I think it was just a bad camera but a blackout wouldn't be a bad idea tonight

cincrazy
Camera man fell asleep. ;)

Either that or he's drinking heavily.

Reds Fanatic
Jay singles

_Sir_Charles_
08-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Maybe it was just my tv screen.

Nope. The camera faded out somewhat.

powersackers

It was the grim reaper taking the Reds bats. Cause they are dead.

Reds Fanatic
Jay steals 2nd

powersackers
I saw it

cincrazy
08-24-2012, 10:19 PM
It was the grim reaper taking the Reds bats. Cause they are dead.

:laugh:

OldXOhio
08-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Talk about a tale of two games....this team has looked flat awful since the 5th.

cincrazy
08-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Well, let's hope Mike Leake doesn't get beat like a pinata tomorrow.

Reds Fanatic
Fly out to right. Almost a DP at 3rd but Rolen can't handle the throw.

Tom Servo
I suppose it does go back to debate about psychological effect. It is absolutely, 100% just one game out of 162. But whenever a team ends up disappointing, you have people trying to pinpoint the moment it went wrong. Whether that's right or wrong, that's the way it goes. Tonight's (almost guaranteed) loss hurts, and hopefully it's water under the bridge come tomorrow.

WMR
08-24-2012, 10:21 PM
They better not lose tomorrow since it's the first game I've attended in like 3 years.

_Sir_Charles_
Jay dead to rights at third if Rolen could come up with the ball. Great throw by Bruce.

Reds Fanatic
Holliday grounds out to short. 8-5 Cards mid 8th.

cincrazy
08-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Let's hope Mike Leake steals a win tomorrow.

Pun intended.

_Sir_Charles_
Well, Simon did a 180. Looked pretty solid the last 2.

Tom Servo
Well, Simon did a 180. Looked pretty solid the last 2.
I give him props for eating up some innings when we needed it.

OldXOhio
Chris Duncan doing ads for an STL sports bar. Good to see he still gets work bc of his last name.

Kc61
08-24-2012, 10:23 PM
I suppose it does go back to debate about psychological effect. It is absolutely, 100% just one game out of 162. But whenever a team ends up disappointing, you have people trying to pinpoint the moment it went wrong. Whether that's right or wrong, that's the way it goes. Tonight's (almost guaranteed) loss hurts, and hopefully it's water under the bridge come tomorrow.

If the Reds don't finish off the Cards, their schedule will. I've said it all along and I'll stick to it.

Seven games with the Nationals. Four in L.A. Six with the Pirates. Five more with the Reds. Three in San Diego.

If they win tonight, Cards will have won four in a row. The winning streak will be folllowed by losses.

Anyway, I hope so.

_Sir_Charles_
I give him props for eating up some innings when we needed it.

Tom, the picture is too small. Who is that in your avatar? Davis? Larkin?

Reds Fanatic
Boggs in to pitch.

Hanigan grounds out to 2nd.

BCubb2003
08-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Fly out to right. Almost a DP at 3rd but Rolen can't handle the throw.

That looked like a psyched-out, head-not-in-the-game play, although the runner was in the way of the throw.

Kc61
Brewers beat the Pirates by the skin of their teeth, 6-5.

Reds Fanatic
The Pirates lost their 4th in a row 6-5 to the Brewers

powersackers
Taking Lynn out early looks like a genius move. Have we touched first since?

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Paul lines out to 2nd.

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Error on Freese. Finally a baserunner.

Tom Servo
08-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Tom, the picture is too small. Who is that in your avatar? Davis? Larkin?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bxEuF4LrxkU/SrbXFpYvS7I/AAAAAAAADTU/TaEDe3JBqko/s400/scan-1991Fleer-EricDavis.jpg
It is ED hanging out in outer space.

I plan on changing it because I'm superstitious. :lol:

_Sir_Charles_
08-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Ah, thanks. It's been bugging me not being able to figure it out.

Kc61
08-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Simon saved the pitching staff tonight, but the two runs he allowed after the Molina homer didn't help things.

Where's Ondrusek when you need him?

OldXOhio
08-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Uncle

Reds Fanatic
Stubbs strikes out looking. 8-5 Cards after 8

cincrazy
Drew Stubbs is a tremendous liability against any righty pitcher.

powersackers
08-24-2012, 10:29 PM

My eye Dr. Could likely help Drew out.

smith288
08-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Does Stubbs understand that if you have two strikes, a pitch down the middle is too close to take?

OldXOhio

He shouldn't see the field with RHP on the mound. Hope Walt fixes that in the winter

Brutus
If the Reds don't finish off the Cards, their schedule will. I've said it all along and I'll stick to it.

Seven games with the Nationals. Four in L.A. Six with the Pirates. Five more with the Reds. Three in San Diego.

If they win tonight, Cards will have won four in a row. The winning streak will be folllowed by losses.

Anyway, I hope so.

I really think you've been putting far too much emphasis on the competition and not enough on the actual teams playing against the competition. The Pirates have been beaten like a pinata lately, while the Cards have been starting to play better baseball. At the end of the day, St. Louis is a better team than Pittsburgh and that matters more than the scheduling.

_Sir_Charles_
My eye Dr. Could likely help Drew out.

By poking him in the eye? Duel eye patches? Medical marijuana for his glaucoma? Pinch hitting for him? :beerme:

Reds Fanatic
LeCure in to pitch

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Craig singles to right.

OldXOhio
08-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Does every Redbird have 3 hits tonight?

cincrazy
I need some medical marijuana right about now. Does marijuana help acid reflux, chest pains from stress, and stomach ulcers?

smith288
Craig is gonna be a thorn in the reds side for many years.

_Sir_Charles_
Does every Redbird have 3 hits tonight?

Yes. They all came in the 6th inning too.

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Molina flies out to right.

Brutus
08-24-2012, 10:33 PM
I need some medical marijuana right about now. Does marijuana help acid reflux, chest pains from stress, and stomach ulcers?

I need some marijuana too, but it doesn't have to be for medicinal purposes.

:lol:

OldXOhio
08-24-2012, 10:34 PM
A lot of banter bw the opposing players on the bases tonight. 2010 seems to be a distant memory.

cincrazy
Freese out of the game. The way that baby was swelling up, wouldn't be surprised if he missed the rest of the weekend.

Kc61
I really think you've been putting far too much emphasis on the competition and not enough on the actual teams playing against the competition. The Pirates have been beaten like a pinata lately, while the Cards have been starting to play better baseball. At the end of the day, St. Louis is a better team than Pittsburgh and that matters more than the scheduling.

There are very few ways to measure future success or failure in baseball. One important way is to look at the schedule. Home. Away. Playing tough teams. Playing weak teams.

Nobody knows if the Cards or Pirates will be hot or cold going forward. You can guess based on last year or based on stats. But none of these teams is the 27 Yankees, they go hot and cold. Nobody knows which they will be.

So one guideline to look at is schedule.

The Washington Nationals have the best record in baseball. The Cards play them seven times. The Reds and Pirates are done with them. I think that is quite significant.

You obviously don't. Fine. But when the Cards play the Nationals while the Reds are playing the Astros, I'll take my chances with that situation.

Tom Servo
Craig is gonna be a thorn in the reds side for many years.
Fingers crossed for testosterone testing results.

Brutus
08-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Edit: nm, I just realized Freese was hurt

cincrazy
08-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Edit: nm, I just realized Freese was hurt

He's hurt. Was plunked on the hand by a 96 mph Simon fastball.

_Sir_Charles_
Not that I'm complaining, but isn't it a bit presumptive to pull one of your better players with a 3-run lead? I would think that one wouldn't assume the game is over. Matheny seems to think it might be.

You mean Freese? I'm sure it's because of how bad his wrist was swelling up after the HBP. Injury concern...not posturing.

Oh, sorry...just saw your edit.

George Foster
If they take 2 of 3, it's still a 6-game lead.

Losing to the Cardinals in a game they "should win" is nothing more than losing a game that should have been won. It doesn't hold extra special implications because they lost it. Not sure why some can't understand that.

It does hold special implications because they lost a game they should of won...it's called a 2 game swing in the standings. That's the implication.

Brutus
There are very few ways to measure future success or failure in baseball. One important way is to look at the schedule. Home. Away. Playing tough teams. Playing weak teams.

Nobody knows if the Cards or Pirates will be hot or cold going forward. You can guess based on last year or based on stats. But none of these teams is the 27 Yankees, they go hot and cold. Nobody knows which they will be.

So one guideline to look at is schedule.

The Washington Nationals have the best record in baseball. The Cards play them seven times. The Reds and Pirates are done with them. I think that is quite significant.

You obviously don't. Fine. But when the Cards play the Nationals while the Reds are playing the Astros, I'll take my chances with that situation.

What I know is that if you run correlation to future results, one would first want to look at the team playing those games before worrying about who and where they're being played.

cincrazy
Brutus you edited that post quicker than a Billy Hamilton sprint down the first base line.

Brutus
08-24-2012, 10:37 PM
It does hold special implications because they lost a game they should of won...it's called a 2 game swing in the standings. That's the implication.

That would be true if it was 17-0 or a blown 8-run lead.

No difference.

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 10:37 PM
6-4-3 DP. 8-5 Cards mid 9th.

One last chance. Phillips, Ludwick and Bruce due up

Brutus
08-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Brutus you edited that post quicker than a Billy Hamilton sprint down the first base line.

That's usually how quick I can realize how stupid I was :)

_Sir_Charles_
HBP, walk, dinger to tie it up and send it into extras.

powersackers
Does Stubbs understand that if you have two strikes, a pitch down the middle is too close to take?

Don't we all learn that in little league? Stubbs has so many holes in his game. I would've moved him for Victorino and laughed at those who were asking for him.

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Motte in to pitch

Kc61
What I know is that if you run correlation to future results, one would first want to look at the team playing those games before worrying about who and where they're being played.

You can run all the correlations you want.

But nobody, not even you, knows how the Pirates or Cards will be playing over the next weeks. It's a very long season and teams go hot and cold.

A critical element of this is the nature of the opposition. So that's what I tend to look at.

Particularly this year when there are two doormat teams in the Central. Which teams face the Astros and Cubs the most is important. Those teams lose so often.

So we disagree, but I have always focused on schedule in looking to possible future results and will continue to do so. It doesn't mean it works every time, they have to play the games.

But if the Cards can prevail given their schedule, they will have climbed a huge hill.

dman
What is incredibly aggravating about this Reds pitching staff is how Jekyll and Hyde they can be, save Cueto. Start to start doesn't bother me, as anything can happen between starts, but how quickly things can turn south for the remaining four starters is baffling. They can look like a Cy Young candidate in one inning and implode the very next inning. I know, that's just baseball, but it still blows my mind at times.

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Phillips grounds out to 2nd.

George Foster
08-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Don't we all learn that in little league? Stubbs has so many holes in his game. I would've moved him for Victorino and laughed at those who were asking for him.

Is there a stat somewhere that can tell me how many times Stubbs has been down 0-2? It seems like 75% of the time.

Kc61
08-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Is there a stat somewhere that can tell me how many times Stubbs has been down 0-2? It seems like 75% of the time.

Yeah, but Phillips is constantly down 0-2 also. He can handle it. Stubbs can't.

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Ludwick lines a single to left

Brutus
08-24-2012, 10:42 PM

But nobody, not even you, knows how the Pirates or Cards will be playing over the next weeks. It's a very long season and teams go hot and cold.

A critical element of this is the nature of the opposition. So that's what I tend to look at.

Particularly this year when there are two doormat teams in the Central. Which teams face the Astros and Cubs the most is important. Those teams lose so often.

So we disagree, but I have always focused on schedule in looking to possible future results and will continue to do so. It doesn't mean it works every time, they have to play the games.

But if the Cards can prevail given their schedule, they will have climbed a huge hill.

No, I don't know. But I do know that the talent and ability of the teams is the more important factor first and foremost. So I'm not going to concern myself too with with the schedule when I feel St. Louis is flat out a better team than Pittsburgh. And that's becoming more and more clear by the week.

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Bruce flies out to left. 2 outs.

George Foster
08-24-2012, 10:43 PM

I was thinking the same thing. They still have a West coast road trip with the Padres and Dodgers. If they do it....hats off.

OldXOhio
08-24-2012, 10:44 PM
I've counted 4x now that Hrabosky has called this a "statement win" for STL

Kc61
No, I don't know. But I do know that the talent and ability of the teams is the more important factor first and foremost. So I'm not going to concern myself too with with the schedule when I feel St. Louis is flat out a better team than Pittsburgh. And that's becoming more and more clear by the week.

I think the Cards are better than the Pirates too. But there is another team on the field too. Sometimes it's the Cubs or Astros. Sometimes it's the Nationals, Reds, Dodgers or Pirates.

I think the identity of that other team is important. The opposition is half the game.

Tom Servo
Tying run coming up...

Reds Fanatic
Frazier lines a single to left.

powersackers
Tease us?

Tom Servo
08-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Nope. We're still bad.

Tomorrow...

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Rolen strikes out swinging. Reds lose 8-5.

Brutus
08-24-2012, 10:47 PM
I think the identity of that other team is important. The opposition is half the game.

It's not half the game over a larger sample though. Or at least it's not necessarily half of the equation. If you did probability, which is the best measure of predictive value, you'd find the differences in competition are smaller over a larger sample. Thus the probability of winning 'x' games is goin to rest a lot more on the actual team being predicted because in this case, the difference between the winning expectation of the Pirates and Cardinals is probably much larger than the average of the teams they're facing over the last 35 games.

George Foster
08-24-2012, 10:47 PM

We would feel the same way if the situations were reversed...given the way this game went.

OldXOhio
08-24-2012, 10:48 PM
"Statement"....5th time

Tom Servo
I'm pretty sure I'd have found that screwdriver Raisor was talking about earlier and stuck it in my ear a long time ago if I were forced to listen to the STL feed.

Kc61
It's not half the game over a larger sample though. If you did probability, which is the best measure of predictive value, you'd find the differences in competition are smaller over a larger sample. Thus the probability of winning 'x' games is goin to rest a lot more on the actual team being predicted.

In other words, the Pythagorean expectation of the Pirates and Cardinals is a lot larger than the average differences in future competition they'd be facing.

The sample I've been focused on is about five or six weeks. I haven't done probability. I'm simply looking at the schedule.

Need Leake and Bailey to come through, get at least one win.

OldXOhio
08-24-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm pretty sure I'd have found that screwdriver Raisor was talking about earlier and stuck it in my ear a long time ago if I were forced to listen to the STL feed.

Forced is correct. Reds and MLB feeds blacked out here.

Brutus
08-24-2012, 10:50 PM
The sample I've been focused on is about five or six weeks. I haven't done probability. I'm simply looking at the schedule.

Need Leake and Bailey to come through, get at least one win.

But your whole point has been we should root for the Cardinals because the Pirates have an easier schedule. The basis you were making that claim is that you believed the Pirates had a better probability of catching up. You weren't using probability, but that was the insinuation you were making.

But if you added up the actual probability, which ESPN and Baseball Prospectus both does, the Cardinals still have a better chance of catching the Reds despite the schedule. That's because they take into account probability.

OldXOhio
08-24-2012, 10:50 PM
We would feel the same way if the situations were reversed...given the way this game went.

If Brantley were that repetitive I'd call him on it too.

WMR
08-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Please tell me Leake is going to pitch a gem tomorrow.

George Foster
08-24-2012, 10:52 PM

Does anybody know his Daygame/nightgame splits? ERA?

George Foster
08-24-2012, 10:56 PM
But if you added up the actual probability, which ESPN and Baseball Prospectus both does, the Cardinals still have a better chance of catching the Reds despite the schedule. That's because they take into account probability.

and the fact the Cards are now 2 games ahead of the Pirates and have picked up 2 games in 24 hours against the Reds. So yes...they have a better chance of catching the Reds over the Pirates as of now.

Kc61
08-24-2012, 11:00 PM
But your whole point has been we should root for the Cardinals because the Pirates have an easier schedule. The basis you were making that claim is that you believed the Pirates had a better probability of catching up. You weren't using probability, but that was the insinuation you were making.

I don't have the ability to run probabilities, I wouldn't know where to start. I think they are probably useful but it's impossible to predict accurately how a team will play in the future. Too many peaks and valleys over a season.

So to me schedule becomes very important. But I'm just repeating at this point, so I'm calling the discussion over for today.

MikeThierry
08-24-2012, 11:16 PM
If Brantley were that repetitive I'd call him on it too.

People in St. Louis can't even stand the A-Clowns they have running their broadcast. For as much of a history they've had with great broadcasters (Buck, Carey, etc), it's shocking how bad their TV broadcast is. My advice is mute the TV and listen to KMOX. Shannon is at least entertaining and drunk half of the time.

cincrazy
08-24-2012, 11:22 PM

Leaks is going to pitch a gem tomorrow :D :cool: :jump: :welcome: :KoolAid: :usa: :rockband: :dancingcool: :pray: :pimp:

Reds Fanatic
08-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Does anybody know his Daygame/nightgame splits? ERA?

He has not pitched that much during the day this year only 6 starts against 18 at night. He has a 0-1 record with 5.80 ERA in day games and 5-7 with a 4.20 ERA at night

MikeThierry
08-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Leake vs. Garcia... could be a Rolaids night for both sides. Garcia was dominant in his last performance but is wildly inconsistent on the road.

WMR
08-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Leaks is going to pitch a gem tomorrow :D :cool: :jump: :welcome: :KoolAid: :usa: :rockband: :dancingcool: :pray: :pimp:

Thanks bro, I'm going to hold you to that.

OldXOhio
08-24-2012, 11:37 PM
People in St. Louis can't even stand the A-Clowns they have running their broadcast. For as much of a history they've had with great broadcasters (Buck, Carey, etc), it's shocking how bad their TV broadcast is. My advice is mute the TV and listen to KMOX. Shannon is at least entertaining and drunk half of the time.

Its just such a case study in homerism on the air. Agree with you though, I like Mike Shannon.

MikeThierry
08-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Its just such a case study in homerism on the air. Agree with you though, I like Mike Shannon.

To be fair, I think every local broadcast has their fair share of homerism. Listening to the Reds broadcasts at times is enough to start one to drink if you're an outsider.

MikeThierry
08-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Mike Shannon is awesome. The other day, he said something that really made me laugh. It was something to the effect of "man, this inning is longer than a grocery list for an orphanage". Got a nice chuckle out of it.

Roy Tucker
08-25-2012, 01:24 AM
Went to the game tonight. Boy did that 6th inning blow. It seemed to last an hour and was a nightmare that you couldn't wake up from. Auuggghhhh!!!!!!!!

Reds could never get the big hit to break it open. And after the Cards' big inning, they seemed to just fold. And it was a loooonnnngggg game. Felt sorry for the Larkin thing afterwards. It was 11:30 and we were all tired and disappointed.

mth123
08-25-2012, 08:40 AM
To be fair, I think every local broadcast has their fair share of homerism. Listening to the Reds broadcasts at times is enough to start one to drink if you're an outsider.

If you're ralking about Jeff Brantley, you don't really have to be an outsider.

traderumor
08-25-2012, 10:10 AM
The most disappointing thing about that loss, beside being to the Cards, is that the rest of the weekend would have been gravy.

Cover first, Mat!

cumberlandreds
08-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Two games in a row Reds pitching has blown a 3 run lead. Lets hope this is just a bump in the road and not a year end trend.

MikeThierry
08-25-2012, 11:30 AM
If you're ralking about Jeff Brantley, you don't really have to be an outsider.

I was more talking about Brennaman. I can't stand him. I know I might get hate for it (more so than the hate for just being a Cards fan) but I've always found him disingenuous.

LincolnparkRed
08-25-2012, 12:32 PM
I was more talking about Brennaman. I can't stand him. I know I might get hate for it (more so than the hate for just being a Cards fan) but I've always found him disingenuous.

You won't get any crap from me. I think he is horrible and doesn't actually enjoy the Reds success. I don't get the online radio package because of him

Matt700wlw
08-25-2012, 12:52 PM
For every Marty, there's a George Grande.

MikeThierry
08-25-2012, 02:13 PM
You won't get any crap from me. I think he is horrible and doesn't actually enjoy the Reds success. I don't get the online radio package because of him

I was more talking about his son. Marty is just a curmudgeon at times, which I can respect. I don't like Thom.

mth123
08-25-2012, 03:35 PM
I was more talking about his son. Marty is just a curmudgeon at times, which I can respect. I don't like Thom.

Not a big Thom fan either. He and Brantley could both go.

Brutus
08-25-2012, 04:00 PM

I think you need to go back and listen to his call of the Bruce homer in 2010 and the postgame wrap and any notion that he doesn't enjoy the Reds' success will be put to bed. That he's been with this team for over 35 years tells me he cares a great deal about the organization.

Tom Servo
08-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Nobody really likes Thom, though he does have a good voice.