PDA

View Full Version : A dubious milestone indeed....

texasdave
08-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Normally if it is an all-time milestone I am rooting for a Reds' player to get it. Veteran Reds' fans will remember this story about scoring baseball's one millionth run. Davey Concepcion hit a home run and raced around the bases, coming up just shy as Bob Watson touched home plate.

The date was May 4th, 1975. The place was Candlestick Park, San Fransisco. And the man of the hour was Bob Watson of the Houston Astros, who scored the 1 millionth run in major league baseball history. Watson beat Dave Concepcion of the Cincinnati Reds by four seconds in a race around the bases from opposite ends of the country. It was one of the most exciting early-in-the-season baseball moments ever.

But this next milestone coming up is one I would rather a Reds' player not be involved in. They are anticipating baseball 500,000th error to be committed. I would just as soon a Reds' player not be connected with that event in any form or fashion. (Yes, I just stole a line from Cowboy). Especially a top notch defender such as Phillips or Rolen.

That honor should go to a player on a team that is almost universally known for their futility, the Cubbies.

My top three choices for baseball's one half-millionth miscue:

1) Anyone in a Cubs' or Cardinals' uniform
2) Albert Pujols
3) Alex Rodriguez

Biff Pocoroba
08-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Adam Dunn

Larkin88
08-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks as always for an interesting post, texasdave. Had no idea that was coming up.

My top three choices:

1) Starlin Castro
2) Pedro Alvarez
3) Miguel Cabrera

Ironman92
08-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Adam Dunn

Zero errors in his last 400+ chances

Ironman92
08-30-2012, 04:45 PM
I vote for Billy Hamilton to get it.

Tuff Nut
08-30-2012, 10:09 PM
If it was a strikeout record, I know one Red that I wouldn't mind seeing get it, seeing as he contributes the most.