PDA

View Full Version : Once again Dusty has his 2 worst hitters hitting 1 and 2...

Red Buckeye
09-04-2012, 07:01 PM
I have some questions for the fans who are telling others batting Cozart and Stubbs isn't going to be a problem for the postseason. Tonight I believe Dusty is starting Stubbs and Valdez in the top 2 spots.

Now I may eat crow for this thread and if they have great nights hitting tonight I will be the first to be happy about it.

But Dusty's obsession with putting the worst two hitters at the top of the lineup seemingly every single night genuinely worries me for the postseason.

1.Are there any other managers in MLB who do this?

2.If the Reds first two hitters get on base the least of everyone in the lineup excluding the pitcher, wouldn't this benefit the other team?

3. In what way does this help the Reds?

Now look, I am ecstatic with the job Dusty and the Reds have been doing. And maybe Dusty just figures as long as the Reds have a comfortable lead in the division he can continue to hope Stubbs gets hot and keep him in the two spot. And yes when Stubbs is hitting well he is a 5-tool player and a very dangerous weapon. But even Dusty has to realize at this point Stubbs isn't getting better. He has degressed every year and really hurts the Reds with all of his K's. Cozart hasn't been much better but at least he puts the ball in play.

But once the playoffs start the great season the Reds have starts all over. This season has been magical, but it imo it will be a major disappointment if the Reds don't at least win the pennant.

And it would be a real shame if we lost opportunities to jump on the elite pitchers we'll be facing in the postseason because our first two hitters in the 1st inning, and also the two in front of Votto the entire game, are easy outs.

arkimadee
09-04-2012, 08:11 PM
you would enjoy this season alot more if you didn't overthink so much. It's going to change when Votto gets back because Phillips will be the leadoff hitter.

Red Buckeye
09-04-2012, 09:26 PM
you would enjoy this season alot more if you didn't overthink so much. It's going to change when Votto gets back because Phillips will be the leadoff hitter.

Actually I have been enjoying the season! And don't worry, my thinking of ways the Reds could be better has not altered my enjoyment of this season at all. It will be nice when Votto comes back and you are right Dusty will probably start Phillips leadoff. But what about the 2 spot? Is he going to put Cozart or Stubbs there? I think that would be a mistake.

panzecaz03
09-05-2012, 01:33 AM
We got to stop making threads about how stupid Dusty's decisions are.. It's been going on all season, nothing is going to change, we just have to accept how he manages the team for now and talk about the playoffs!!

UK Reds Fan
09-05-2012, 05:21 AM
I think most agree..Dusty is silly for the Cozart,Stubbs hot mess at the top...but Votto is back and apparently Phillips goes to leadoff...That is 1/2 of the fix we've been wanting.

redsfanhere
09-05-2012, 07:18 AM
valdez is terrible with bat and glove how is it he is even in the major league.he has to be the nicest guy to dusty go figure

jback76
09-05-2012, 09:12 AM
The Reds are on auto pilot, even Dusty can't screw this Division championship up. Really I think the Reds this year could do it with any one at the helm.

Red Buckeye
09-05-2012, 11:51 AM
The Reds are on auto pilot, even Dusty can't screw this Division championship up. Really I think the Reds this year could do it with any one at the helm.

I have no doubts the will win the division. I'm concerned about the playoffs. It really doesn't make any sense to have one of your worst hitters (Cozart) batting 2nd. Just doesn't make any sense. And it will be a liabilty in the playoffs if we are always giving away an out in the top of the 1st.

I just wonder how many teams, if any, put their worst two hitters in the top of the lineup. And don't tell me not to worry because we have the best record, once the playoffs start you can throw records out the window.

UPRedsFan
09-05-2012, 05:49 PM
I haven't checked but I would bet you can't find any other team where they bat their worst 2 on base guys in the 1 and 2 slots as often as Dusty has. It's infuriating and I agree it'll bite us when we're facing the Nationals or the Giants pitching. I'm with you completely on this one. Phillips moving to leadoff helps me feel 50% more confident though. Maybe Cozart bats 2nd and gets lots of practice bunting!

Red Buckeye
09-06-2012, 01:23 PM
I haven't checked but I would bet you can't find any other team where they bat their worst 2 on base guys in the 1 and 2 slots as often as Dusty has. It's infuriating and I agree it'll bite us when we're facing the Nationals or the Giants pitching. I'm with you completely on this one. Phillips moving to leadoff helps me feel 50% more confident though. Maybe Cozart bats 2nd and gets lots of practice bunting!

Thank you! Cozart should not be batting 2nd. Yesterday Baker put in Heisey and he had a great game, with ZERO strikeouts! More of that for the postseason Dusty!

UPRedsFan
09-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Let's give Dusty some credit for the last 2 lineups.

Keeping Heisey in the 2 hole and sitting Stubbs is exactly the right decision. Bravo!

texasdave
09-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Let's give Dusty some credit for the last 2 lineups.

Keeping Heisey in the 2 hole and sitting Stubbs is exactly the right decision. Bravo!

I like Stubbs getting about a week or so off. Maybe he comes out hitting. No reason to sit Heisey if he keeps putting up multi-hit games.