PDA

View Full Version : so who's on the 25 man roster ?

ol'Sparky
09-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Leake ?

paul ?

homer bailey ?

cairo ?

:beerme:

let's discuss this ladies and gentleman !!

BEETTLEBUG
09-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Paul
Homer?

texasdave
09-05-2012, 09:58 PM
If you mean the 25-man playoff roster then I think there are going to be a couple of upset folks come crunch time. Let's assume they go with 11 pitchers and 14 position players.

Pitchers that are a lock IMO -
1)Cueto
2)Latos
3)Arroyo
4)Bailey

5)Chapman
6)Broxton
7)Marshall

8)Arredondo
9)LeCure

That means Leake, Simon, Hoover and Ondrusek are fighting for two spots. You would want a long man. That would be a coin flip between Leake and Simon. And another coin flip between Ondrusek and Hoover. I would go Simon and Hoover which means Dusty will go with Leake and Ondrusek. :)

14 Position players would probably break down along the lines of 3 catchers, 6 infielders and 5 outfielders.

Catcher -
1)Hanigan
2)Mesoraco
3)Navarro

Infielders -
1)Votto
2)Phillips
3)Cozart
4)Rolen
5)Frazier
6)Valdez

Last spot would be between Valdez and Cairo. I have to believe Soft V (for versatility) wins that nod.

Outfielders -
1)Bruce
2)Ludwick
3)Stubbs
4)Heisey
5)Paul

Would they count Frazier as an outfielder, bumping Paul and keeping Cairo? Once again, I wouldn't meaning Dusty quite possibly will.

Ironman92
09-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Here's mine as of today...

Pitchers

Position players.

1. Votto
2. Phillips
3. Cozart
4. Rolen
5. Hanigan
6. Bruce
7. Heisey
8. Ludwick
9. Navarro
10. Paul
11. Stubbs
12. Frazier
13. Valdez
14. Cairo

Pitchers

15. Cueto
16. Latos
17. Arroyo
18. Chapman
19. Broxton
20. Marshall
21. Simon
22. Arrendondo
23. LeCure
24. Bailey
25. Leake

I think Dusty will take someone over Leake.

Jdattilo
09-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Certainly don't need two long men in addition to Bailey. IIRC, Homer actually served as a long man in 2010. I think that's his role this year, as well, along with Lecure.

From recent indications, it appears Mes is off.

If it comes down to two of Valdez, Cairo, and Paul, I think you keep Paul and Valdez.

Like to see Hoover over Ondrussek, if it comes down to one of those two. I believe Logan is nothing more than a replacement level reliever, as borne out by stats like FIP. For whatever reason, and it's probably the small sample, I have more confidence in Hoover.

Stray
09-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Pitchers
1. Cueto
2. Latos
3. Arroyo
4. Bailey
5. Chapman
6. Broxton
7. Marshall
8. Arredondo
9. Lecure
10. Hoover
11. Simon

Position Players
1. Votto
2. Phillips
3. Cozart
4. Rolen
5. Hanigan
6. Ludwick
7. Stubbs
8. Bruce
9. Frazier
10. Navarro
11. Mesoraco
12. Paul
13. Heisey
14. Valdez

I could understand taking Leake just in case a starter gets bombed and we wanted a starter out of the pen to come in, mainly as an emergency guy, but I can't imagine they're trusting Leake that much right now. Between Lecure and Simon we could eat innings if we had to, and there are plenty of off days to rest the pen. So I will lean towards Simon. Valdez makes it in case of injury emergency in a game, he can bunt, and he can pinch run. Between Valdez and Cairo I wouldn't be upset either way we went to be honest.

texasdave
09-06-2012, 01:02 PM
IMO, they go with three catchers. If you just go with two you are hesitant to use that second catcher. That kinda leaves you a man short. If you have three catchers then Navarro can pinch-hit from either side if needed.

texasdave
09-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Pitchers
1. Cueto
2. Latos
3. Arroyo
4. Bailey
5. Chapman
6. Broxton
7. Marshall
8. Arredondo
9. Lecure
10. Hoover
11. Simon

Position Players
1. Votto
2. Phillips
3. Cozart
4. Rolen
5. Hanigan
6. Ludwick
7. Stubbs
8. Bruce
9. Frazier
10. Navarro
11. Mesoraco
12. Paul
13. Heisey
14. Valdez

I could understand taking Leake just in case a starter gets bombed and we wanted a starter out of the pen to come in, mainly as an emergency guy, but I can't imagine they're trusting Leake that much right now. Between Lecure and Simon we could eat innings if we had to, and there are plenty of off days to rest the pen. So I will lean towards Simon. Valdez makes it in case of injury emergency in a game, he can bunt, and he can pinch run. Between Valdez and Cairo I wouldn't be upset either way we went to be honest.

We picked the same 25. Should I be worried? :lol:

Stray
09-06-2012, 01:04 PM
IMO, they go with three catchers. If you just go with two you are hesitant to use that second catcher. That kinda leaves you a man short. If you have three catchers then Navarro can pinch-hit from either side if needed.

Totally agree. Mes will be the backup catcher and Navarro will be used as a PHer. A switch hitter with power off the bench is nice to have.

Ironman92
09-06-2012, 01:05 PM

How many times in the last decade has a Reds catcher had to leave a game due to injury?

Stray
09-06-2012, 01:05 PM
We picked the same 25. Should I be worried? :lol:

Lol great minds think alike.

texasdave
09-06-2012, 02:56 PM
How many times in the last decade has a Reds catcher had to leave a game due to injury?

That is irrelevant. I actually agree with you. But if Dusty is hesistant to use his backup catcher because of that concern, then facts do not matter. It's what Dusty believes that matters. And I believe that Dusty's mindset is such that he wants a backup catcher on the bench nearly all the time.

Ironman92
09-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Oh... I agree completely. Ridiculous logic by Dusty but spot on.

justincredible
09-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Pitchers
1. Cueto
2. Latos
3. Arroyo
4. Bailey
5. Chapman
6. Broxton
7. Marshall
8. Arredondo
9. Lecure
10. Hoover
11. Simon

Position Players
1. Votto
2. Phillips
3. Cozart
4. Rolen
5. Hanigan
6. Ludwick
7. Stubbs
8. Bruce
9. Frazier
10. Navarro
11. Mesoraco
12. Paul
13. Heisey
14. Valdez

This is the 25 man I'd like to see.

Tuff Nut
09-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Why would Dusty trust Mes, now? Of the 3 top starters, he hasn't caught a one of them. You could argue that, yes, he has caught possibly every arm in the pen, but then again, he has been less than stellar, at the plate. I just don't see a spot for him on the roster.
If Didi is eligible, I take him over .180 Valdez. As for the pitchers, I take Leake over Simon, more because, he has more value, than just pitcher.
I also feel that Cairo is on it, because he likely won't have many, if any, more chances.

texasdave
09-06-2012, 09:01 PM
The choice is not really between Mesoraco and Cairo. The choice is between Navarro and Cairo. Let me backtrack and try to explain why I feel this way. In the 2002 postseason the Giants played 17 games. Their starting catcher that season was Benito Santiago. He started and played every inning of all 17 games. His backup was Yorvit Torrealba. During the regular season Torrealba played in 53 games and put up a solid if not spectacular OPS of .752. He did not see action in the 2002 postseason. Dusty is probably not going to use his backup catcher. What does this mean? It means if Cairo makes the squad over a third catcher that Navarro becomes basically an insurance policy. Unless, of course, he gets a start in which case Hanigan is the insurance policy for that game. If you add Mesoraco it frees up the switch-hitting, .850+ OPS (so far) hitting Navarro for pinch-hitting duties. Frazier backs first and third. Valdez backs short and second. So, in essence, if you put Mesoraco on the squad, it comes down to which bat would you rather have off the bench. Right-handed, sub .500 OPS Cairo Or switch-hitting, .850+ OPS Navarro. There is still a month to go. But I know which direction I am leaning.

Tuff Nut
09-06-2012, 10:13 PM
The choice is not really between Mesoraco and Cairo. The choice is between Navarro and Cairo. Let me backtrack and try to explain why I feel this way. In the 2002 postseason the Giants played 17 games. Their starting catcher that season was Benito Santiago. He started and played every inning of all 17 games. His backup was Yorvit Torrealba. During the regular season Torrealba played in 53 games and put up a solid if not spectacular OPS of .752. He did not see action in the 2002 postseason. Dusty is probably not going to use his backup catcher. What does this mean? It means if Cairo makes the squad over a third catcher that Navarro becomes basically an insurance policy. Unless, of course, he gets a start in which case Hanigan is the insurance policy for that game. If you add Mesoraco it frees up the switch-hitting, .850+ OPS (so far) hitting Navarro for pinch-hitting duties. Frazier backs first and third. Valdez backs short and second. So, in essence, if you put Mesoraco on the squad, it comes down to which bat would you rather have off the bench. Right-handed, sub .500 OPS Cairo Or switch-hitting, .850+ OPS Navarro. There is still a month to go. But I know which direction I am leaning.
But I still don't see the value of Mesoraco......He is doing nothing, but taking up a spot, in case something happens to Hanigan, What value is that, in the playoffs? IF anything happens to RH, and we need an emergency catcher, and Navarro has been used, as a PH, under my scenario, we could use Leake. Devin is wasted space, and not worthy of a PO spot. I'm taking Cairo over Mes.

Ironman92
09-06-2012, 11:04 PM

Have you checked the box scores of the 2002 WS and noticed the exact same guys pitched every game.....and somehow gave up a 5 run lead in the game 6 clincher with just 9 outs to go.

ol'Sparky
09-20-2012, 08:34 PM
ok so what are we thinkin ?

i think leake and mesaroco are out ..

paul and navarro are in ..

let's here what you all think ....?

being a reds fan is fun right now !!:beerme:

malcontent
09-20-2012, 08:46 PM
ok so what are we thinkin ?
i think leake and mesaroco are out ..
paul and navarro are in ..
let's here what you all think ....?
being a reds fan is fun right now !!:beerme:
I agree that Leake and Mesoraco will be out. I also think they may go with Ondrusek over Hoover.

I can't see them dropping Cairo, sooo.....

Cueto
Latos
Arroyo
Bailey

Chapman
Broxton
Marshall
Arredondo
LeCure
Simon
Ondrusek

Phillips
Cozart
Votto
Ludwick
Bruce
Rolen
Stubbs
Hanigan

Heisey
Paul
Frazier
Valdez
Cairo
Navarro

ol'Sparky
09-20-2012, 08:48 PM
I agree that Leake and Mesoraco will be out. I also think they may go with Ondrusek over Hoover.

I can't see them dropping Cairo, sooo.....

Cueto
Latos
Arroyo
Bailey

Chapman
Broxton
Marshall
Arredondo
LeCure
Simon
Ondrusek

Phillips
Cozart
Votto
Ludwick
Bruce
Rolen
Stubbs
Hanigan

Heisey
Paul
Frazier
Valdez
Cairo
Navarro

ol'Sparky
09-20-2012, 08:50 PM
:bowrofl::eek::bowrofl::arroyo::phillips::castelli ni::redszone::rockband::D:drink:

swaisuc
09-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Basically agree with the last few posts. I actually wouldn't mind Hoover as a 12th pitcher in place of a hitter, but the roster you posted is what I currently expect.