PDA

View Full Version : Would It Benefit the Reds to have 3 seed?

arkimadee
09-05-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm not that worried about home field this year. I feel the Reds would have just as much chance winning a series against the Giants with the first 2 at home and next 3 on the road. That is if the Giants are the team they are going to play, which right now looks to be the best bet. I hate hate hate the fact that they would have to go out west and play the first 2 games if they were the 2 seed. What do you all think?

Votto4MVP
09-05-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm not that worried about home field this year. I feel the Reds would have just as much chance winning a series against the Giants with the first 2 at home and next 3 on the road. That is if the Giants are the team they are going to play, which right now looks to be the best bet. I hate hate hate the fact that they would have to go out west and play the first 2 games if they were the 2 seed. What do you all think?

A few reasons why I dont agree.

1. If the home team wins every game, and you are the 3 seed, you lose in the first round.
2. If you lose one of the first two home games you then go to SF for 3 straight games needing to win 2 of 3 which wouldnt be an easy task.
3. If you get the two see and win just one game in SF, then you come home and only have to win 2 of 3 at home to advance.
4. You have to look beyond just one series. Yeah, winning the NLDS would be great, but I think the team has bigger objectives. Having home field in the NLCS would be big.
5. It is a big advantage with the setup this year to be the 1 seed. You would play the winner of the WC game. If the WC teams pitch their aces, then you wouldnt have to see their ace until game 3 probably. Also, if there was a tie for the WC and then the WC game you might not have to see their 1 or 2 until game 3.

IMO anyways....

Ironman92
09-05-2012, 11:02 PM
No...but it doesn't matter....it's our year.

Votto4MVP
09-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Now to contradict what I said earlier, there could be an advantage, at least for the NLDS.

They way you probably set up our rotation would be 1. Cueto 2. Latos 3. Bailey/Arroyo 4. Arroyo/Bailey

Id want Cueto and Latos pitching at home and Bailey and Arroyo on the road. So we would be better off playing the first two at home.

Which brings up another question...lets say we get the 2 seed and head to SF. Would you consider going 1. Latos 2. Bailey 3. Cueto 4. Bronson 5. Latos?

I know it sounds crazy not to have Cueto 1, but he is our best home pitcher and Bailey is really good on the road...Latos also pitches really well against the giants historically.

WDE
09-05-2012, 11:15 PM
No. I want the 1 seed, and if not that, the two seed. I want home field advantage throughout the playoffs. That would definitely be a luxary to have.

HometownHero
09-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Yes and No, I wouldn't want to play game 5 on the road but it would help our rotation set up.

Cueto 2.50 home ERA
Latos 3.47 home ERA
Bailey 2.75 road ERA
Arroyo 3.34 road ERA
Cueto 2.63 road ERA

The normal 2-2-1 would help us more than anything.

arkimadee
09-06-2012, 01:28 AM
I think it's a no brainier that no matter what happens you have to make sure arroyo and baileys starts are on the road.

HometownHero
09-06-2012, 01:38 AM
I think it's a no brainier that no matter what happens you have to make sure arroyo and baileys starts are on the road.

Can't do that as a top two seed for sure. If you go with them in games 1 and 2 on the road and they lose and say the BP blows game 3 we get sent packing after 1 home playoff game and Latos not getting a start, plus if it goes to a game 5 one of them would be forced to pitch at home with the season on the line.

Who Dey Time
09-06-2012, 09:29 AM
The question that needs to be answered is whether or not you plan to give Bailey a start in the NLDS. You can, conceivably based on the schedule, bring your #1 and #2 starter back for games 4 and 5. It would be on 4 nights rests which is not completely ourtageous, IMO.

If they make the NLCS then you definitely have a Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey rotation with Simon or Leake your long guy

MrRedLegger
09-06-2012, 11:11 AM
We match up very, very well against the Giants. Cueto will start the first game, that gives everyone here some security about the first game. And don't underestimate Latos against the Giants as well. He pitches so well against them after losing to them in the playoffs a few years ago. Except this time he has better fielders behind him and better hitters for run support. It's very feasible that if we play in San Fran for the first to games of the NLDS we come home with a 2 game lead or a split. Even if it goes to game 5 we send in Cueto and Latos twice during that time.

Pony Boy
09-06-2012, 11:28 AM
I want the #2 seed. I hate to admit this, but I don't want to play the Cardinals in the playoffs. I want the Nats to deal with the WC winner (I am just assuming it will be the Cards) and for the Reds to get home field advantage on the Giants. Who cares if we start on the road or start at home?

Votto4MVP
09-06-2012, 12:05 PM
If we get the two seed and play in San Fran I'd go...
1. Cueto
2. Bailey
3. Latos
4. Arroyo if we are up 2-1, cueto if we are down 1-2.
5. Cueto or arroyo depending on game 4.

You just have to find a way to get homer a road start...

Ironman92
09-07-2012, 07:49 AM
If Cueto won I'd go with Bailey....if we lost Cueto's start I gotta let Latos go in game 2 and Homer may get skipped in the series.

swaisuc
09-07-2012, 08:08 AM
1st of all the Giants are still 5.5 behind us. I really don't think this is happening.

If it did, I think you want Cueto game 1 regardless so he can pitch twice and Latos in game 2. He's easily our 2nd best and he's been automatic pitching in the big parks on the west coast.

Maker_84
09-07-2012, 10:09 AM
If we get the two seed and play in San Fran I'd go...
1. Cueto
2. Bailey
3. Latos
4. Arroyo if we are up 2-1, cueto if we are down 1-2.
5. Cueto or arroyo depending on game 4.

You just have to find a way to get homer a road start...

Agreed

Votto4MVP
09-07-2012, 11:25 AM
1st of all the Giants are still 5.5 behind us. I really don't think this is happening.

If it did, I think you want Cueto game 1 regardless so he can pitch twice and Latos in game 2. He's easily our 2nd best and he's been automatic pitching in the big parks on the west coast.

I think you are confused. If we get the two seed (which you are saying is likely) we would head to the west for the first two games...