PDA

View Full Version : 9/7/2012 Astros at Reds

Pages : 1 [2]

cincrazy
09-07-2012, 10:37 PM
This. I've said it before, and I still do think the Reds can beat any team in the NL. But when you can't take care of business against Houston, it makes me begin to really doubt if you can put away a team like Washington or San Francisco when it really matters.

I remember a few years ago when Tampa still sucked, and they had the Yanks number. That's hardly the case here. We're 9-4 against Houston. Pretty solid lol. Chances are we win the next two games. You guys really just need to take a deep breath. You can't just assume we're going to sweep any team, no matter how bad they are.

kaldaniels
As Brutus stated, if this turns into a trend, then you run some tests. Otherwise it's not a big deal.

I agree no tests needed now...

But I just went threw and watched the pitch sequence again. He was throwing 96-98 pre-home run.

But after it was (off speed included) 95, 94, 84, 94, 93, 94, 84, 83

May have been just mental?

oregonred
Hopefully we are getting our crappy week in September/October out of our system.

Regarding Chapman. We're Cincinnati professional sports fans, we've been conditioned to go from high to whale dung low in short order the past 20+ years.

cincrazy
09-07-2012, 10:38 PM
This has been the case all year. Chapman has been hitting higher velocities after pitching on a second straight or third straight appearance. His velocity has been lower with several days off. He's only pitched 7 times in the last three weeks. It's possible that all the time off has caused him to have a harder time getting up near 100.

By the way, Chapman's average speed on Tuesday was 98 MPH with a max of 100.

Chris Welsh doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. I think he's a big part of the reason so many people are panicking. Chapman was just throwing 100 this week, so I don't know what games Welsh has been watching.

Brutus
09-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Losing two of three to the Astros? Stubbs saved them a month ago or else they could be 3-4 against this ragtag outfit in the last three series. For some reason the Astros just seem to be causing us (and only us) unnecessary worry recently.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, what a Merry Christmas we'd have.

I was more referring to the doomsday scenarios about Chapman. That said, yeah for some reason they've been struggling with Houston. I'm not happy about it, but it's September and they're 28 games over .500. If there were truly major issues to be concerned about, they would have manifested themselves sooner than six months into the season.

cincrazy
09-07-2012, 10:39 PM
I agree no tests needed now...

But I just went threw and watched the pitch sequence again. He was throwing 96-98 pre-home run.

But after it was (off speed included) 95, 94, 84, 94, 93, 94, 84, 83

May have been just mental?

Possibly mental. Could've been any number of things. Baseball is a funny sport sometimes. One of the top two dominant closers in the game against the bottom of the lineup of the most inept offense in the game. And they score three runs. This game would be eating at me a lot more if we weren't up 8.5 :).

Red in Chicago
Chris Welsh doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. I think he's a big part of the reason so many people are panicking. Chapman was just throwing 100 this week, so I don't know what games Welsh has been watching.

Chris - former MLB pitcher
You - anonymous poster on the Internet

No offense, but I think he knows just a bit more.

Tom Servo
I remember a few years ago when Tampa still sucked, and they had the Yanks number. That's hardly the case here. We're 9-4 against Houston. Pretty solid lol. Chances are we win the next two games. You guys really just need to take a deep breath. You can't just assume we're going to sweep any team, no matter how bad they are.
Let's call a spade a spade though. They are the New York Yankees. They've missed the playoffs once in the last 17 seasons. We've been to the playoffs exactly twice in that span. I'm not saying my negative feelings tonight are 100% justified, it is just one game, but I don't think the Reds exactly deserve the benefit of the doubt in regards to "oh they'll be perfectly fine", especially given their swift exit from the 2010 playoffs.

Brutus
09-07-2012, 10:40 PM

It doesn't matter who knows more. Chris was wrong about Chapman not hitting 100. He just did on Tuesday (99.7 to be exact).

dman
09-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Don't panic over the velocity... As many have stated, he's not pitched much as of lately, so there probably is some rustiness, plus there's a ton of moisture in the air, and I'm sure the temps have already started to change pretty dramatically at GABP from the start of game temps.

oregonred
09-07-2012, 10:42 PM
I think the lackluster crowds, the September callups, the Votto return and the big division lead have thrown the club off the last week for some reason. Fortunately the starting staff (minus Leake's turd on Wed) has been fine.

I think we'll see a wake up call for the offense. Somebody is gonna pay the next few days when this lineup gets it going again.

ONly concern is if something is wrong with Chappy

cincrazy
09-07-2012, 10:43 PM

Of course he knows more. But in this instance, he's dead wrong. He's a professional. He shouldn't make mistakes like that. Reds fans need to get over this "Woe is me" complex. It's not the lost decade anymore. Leave the past scars behind. Move on. Take a minute to rejoice in THE BIGGEST DIVISIONAL LEAD IN MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL instead of worrying about when we'll inevitably collapse.

09-07-2012, 10:43 PM
For the record, Chapman's velocity has been down a bit over his last five outings, including this one, going back to Aug 22.

He was averaging over 99 on his fastball for most of the season, then had these outings

and whatever tonight's average was.

Definitely something that shouldn't be ignored.

oregonred
09-07-2012, 10:44 PM
That trend isn't bad actually, but something was off tonight.

Tony Cloninger
09-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Let's call a spade a spade though. They are the New York Yankees. They've missed the playoffs once in the last 17 seasons. We've been to the playoffs exactly twice in that span. I'm not saying my negative feelings tonight are 100% justified, it is just one game, but I don't think the Reds exactly deserve the benefit of the doubt in regards to "oh they'll be perfectly fine", especially given their swift exit from the 2010 playoffs.

I was just about to post something like this. They are starting to act like they are have it wrapped up. They can barely score runs anymore...... they did this in most of Sept 2010 as well.

Brutus
09-07-2012, 10:46 PM
For the record, Chapman's velocity has been down a bit over his last five outings, including this one, going back to Aug 22.

He was averaging over 99 on his fastball for most of the season, then had these outings

and whatever tonight's average was.

Definitely something that shouldn't be ignored.

Do you realize his average for the entire season is 97.8?

So basically prior to tonight, he was within .4, .2 and +.2 of his season average in the past three games.

I'd say that absolutely should be ignored.

cincrazy
09-07-2012, 10:48 PM
I just can't understand why we can't enjoy the ride instead of freaking out about when it's going to all fall apart. So maybe this team won't win the World Series. Has it made this season a failure? Has it not been fun? Haven't we received so many wonderful memories and surprises already? Enjoy the ride guys. Stop living and dying on every game, every pitch.

cincrazy
09-07-2012, 10:49 PM
do you realize his average for the entire season is 97.8?

So basically prior to tonight, he was within .4, .2 and +.2 of his season average in the past three games.

but he hasn't thrown 105 since last year! Something is horribly wrong!!!!

oregonred
09-07-2012, 10:49 PM
I just can't understand why we can't enjoy the ride instead of freaking out about when it's going to all fall apart. So maybe this team won't win the World Series. Has it made this season a failure? Has it not been fun? Haven't we received so many wonderful memories and surprises already? Enjoy the ride guys. Stop living and dying on every game, every pitch.

Quit trying to bring logic into the situation... :lol:

cincrazy
09-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Quit trying to bring logic into the situation... :lol:

Believe me, if you look logic up in the dictionary you won't see my picture, so not sure where this is coming from :).

Wonderful Monds
09-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Homer Bailey seems like a good dude, especially based on that post game interview. I really hope he can have more starts like this one.

OnBaseMachine
09-07-2012, 10:57 PM
What is the Reds record against the Astros this year?

9-4, but its been a struggle. Two blown saves by Cordero, plus the game Sunday where the Reds trailed by three in the 8th inning.

Brutal loss tonight.

09-08-2012, 01:13 AM
Do you realize his average for the entire season is 97.8?

He started off the season with lower velocity, which explains his season average. But from July 2 till Aug 22, he averaged 99-101 MPH in 2/3 of his appearances, and overall averaged 99.1 MPH over those 26 appearances. He also never averaged less than 97.4.

Probably nothing to worry about, but worthy of further examination at the very least.

traderumor
09-08-2012, 11:13 AM
I think pride is hurt more than anything here. Chapman, no way he expects to get beat by two bloops and a Matt Dominguez homer. The velocity decrease may be intentional? Trying to save some gas for the playoffs, and trying not to waste it on the lowly Astros and get by? Chapman has truly spoiled us this year.

Regardless, waking up to see the Cards lose in extras at home at 3 am took some of the sting out of that one. Take the next two and forget about the two bloops and blast downfall Friday.

redsmetz
09-08-2012, 01:28 PM
I think pride is hurt more than anything here. Chapman, no way he expects to get beat by two bloops and a Matt Dominguez homer. The velocity decrease may be intentional? Trying to save some gas for the playoffs, and trying not to waste it on the lowly Astros and get by? Chapman has truly spoiled us this year.

Regardless, waking up to see the Cards lose in extras at home at 3 am took some of the sting out of that one. Take the next two and forget about the two bloops and blast downfall Friday.

Yeah, it was a disappointment, but not devastating. Glad the Cards lost. I'll choke down the free pizza & ice cream, but I'd have skipped it for a double play instead.

KittyDuran
09-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Yeah, it was a disappointment, but not devastating. Glad the Cards lost. I'll choke down the free pizza & ice cream, but I'd have skipped it for a double play instead.I told the server at LaRosa's that I would have like to have a win instead of the free pizza and ice cream... was good, but not as good as when its after a win... :(

Kc61
09-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Just wait for tomorrow's lineup if the Reds hold on here. A Sunday SUPER Special.