PDA

View Full Version : Chapman as a starter?

BigPoppa
09-11-2012, 10:57 PM
So, it was my understanding that (until Madson went down) they were grooming Aroldis for a spot in the starting rotation.

Now he's out for a week with fatigue at 70-ish innings all year.

How is he going to be able to be a starter if he's fatiguing at (for a starter) a relatively low number of innings?

Not flaming him or stirring up trouble.....it's a genuine question.

maestrohound
09-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Starters can get into routine - guaranteed to pitch every 4-5 days. Relievers may pitch 5 days a week, or not pitch at all for a week. The latter would definitely be more stressful.

While I have no way to tell how many innings he can handle as a starter over a season, I would tend to believe that he could handle more than 70-plus, easily. Comparing the total number of innings for a starter and a reliever is apples to oranges, I think.

Captain13
09-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Starters can get into routine - guaranteed to pitch every 4-5 days. Relievers may pitch 5 days a week, or not pitch at all for a week. The latter would definitely be more stressful.

While I have no way to tell how many innings he can handle as a starter over a season, I would tend to believe that he could handle more than 70-plus, easily. Comparing the total number of innings for a starter and a reliever is apples to oranges, I think.

I was typing almost the same exact thing. Can't agree more.

Krawhitham
09-12-2012, 06:22 AM
So, it was my understanding that (until Madson went down) they were grooming Aroldis for a spot in the starting rotation.

Now he's out for a week with fatigue at 70-ish innings all year.

How is he going to be able to be a starter if he's fatiguing at (for a starter) a relatively low number of innings?

Not flaming him or stirring up trouble.....it's a genuine question.

because he will only have to work 33 days VS 64 days

It is not so much the innings but how often he has to pitch

smixsell
09-12-2012, 10:55 AM
OP, you're comparing apples and oranges my friend.

OldCat
09-12-2012, 02:42 PM
OP, you're comparing apples and oranges my friend.

However, more starters have moved to closing than the reverse - Eckersley, Smoltz, Mike Marshall back in the day.

I can't think of any closers that went to being a starter to rest their arms.

So while this may not rule it out, I don't see it as confirming that he can be a starter.

jhiller21
09-12-2012, 05:57 PM
As said, it's apples and oranges. But can Chapman really be successful throwing a 94-97 straight fastball as a starter? With two pitches? That should be the discussion.

Trajinous
09-12-2012, 06:08 PM
I was listening to Baseball Today and they brought up something I hadn't considered before. Relief pitchers warm up alot. They may not enter the game but yet throw 10-30 pitches. I understand the possible worry but it's nothing to worry about like many pointed out, it's just different.

texasdave
09-12-2012, 07:42 PM
I was listening to Baseball Today and they brought up something I hadn't considered before. Relief pitchers warm up alot. They may not enter the game but yet throw 10-30 pitches. I understand the possible worry but it's nothing to worry about like many pointed out, it's just different.

Normally that is not the case with your closer though. He knows the ninth-inning is his if it is within 3 runs. Other relievers yes.

Phoenix2
09-13-2012, 12:14 PM
My first thought with this fatigue issue is that there goes the starter opportunity. Perhaps all innings aren't the same regarding wear and tear...but I'm certainly not as enthusiastic about him becoming starter. But having a Randy Johnson type starter is much more valuable than a dominant closer.

The Rage
09-13-2012, 02:36 PM
My first thought with this fatigue issue is that there goes the starter opportunity. Perhaps all innings aren't the same regarding wear and tear...but I'm certainly not as enthusiastic about him becoming starter. But having a Randy Johnson type starter is much more valuable than a dominant closer.

Chapman had some questions in 2010 when he started by June. His velocity dropped down to the low-mid-90's was inconsistant, then the Reds switched him to the bullpen.

He may not be able to throw 100mph consistantly in the pen. He may need to drop back to 96-99mph more consistantly, which means he probably needs to sit more in the 93-97 range starting, meaning he is no RJ. Sounds like we are finding limits with Chapman physically.

dubc47834
09-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Chapman had some questions in 2010 when he started by June. His velocity dropped down to the low-mid-90's was inconsistant, then the Reds switched him to the bullpen.

He may not be able to throw 100mph consistantly in the pen. He may need to drop back to 96-99mph more consistantly, which means he probably needs to sit more in the 93-97 range starting, meaning he is no RJ. Sounds like we are finding limits with Chapman physically.

Is there a reason you are not a big league pitching coach....the must be blackballing you!!!