PDA

View Full Version : Root Against the Reds to Spite the Cardinals?

Who Dey Time
09-21-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm stealing a poll of of ESPN but I thought it was interesting for this forum given that we play the Dodgers this weekend and the fact that some Reds fans have a fear of St. Louis.

Would you root against the Reds this homestand knowing that a Dodgers and/or Brewers win hurts the Cardinals chances of reaching the playoffs?

Personally, I will not. I'm hoping to celebrate "Clinchmas" tonight but what say you?

Captain13
09-21-2012, 01:20 PM
I NEVER, I mean NEVER cheer against the Reds.

Red Raindog
09-21-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm stealing a poll of of ESPN but I thought it was interesting for this forum given that we play the Dodgers this weekend and the fact that some Reds fans have a fear of St. Louis.

Would you root against the Reds this homestand knowing that a Dodgers and/or Brewers win hurts the Cardinals chances of reaching the playoffs?

Personally, I will not. I'm hoping to celebrate "Clinchmas" tonight but what say you?

I grew up hating the Dodgers nearly as much as the Yankees --- I don't turn around that fast so I will still be hoping they lose (along with the Whiny Birds)

webbbj
09-21-2012, 01:23 PM
this poll is stupid and the fact that there are reds fans fear the cardinals is just as dumb.

R_Webb18
09-21-2012, 01:28 PM
teams that play scared end up losing.

Who Dey Time
09-21-2012, 01:34 PM
this poll is stupid and the fact that there are reds fans fear the cardinals is just as dumb.

Feel free to not participate or comment if it is beneath your alleged intelligence level.

However, in the past few weeks we have had threads discussing whether it is a good idea to NOT get the #1 seed in order to avoid the wild card.

We have had constant Cardinals/Pirates updates that is largely detailing how lucky St. Louis is and why we need to avoid them in October.

So, this week, the Reds play the two teams that can take a wild card berth away from St. Louis. It is perfectly logical to think that those who want to avoid St. Louis in October would want to see the Dodgers or Brewers overtake them and these next 6 games are vital in making that happen.

Like I said, I want the Reds to win and wouldn't give a crap if we play St. Louis. But there are some who don't. I think it would be interesting to read their view.

If you don't, adios.

texasdave
09-21-2012, 01:46 PM
I don't believe in tanking games for any reason whatsoever. If you take the field you play to win. Which is one reason why I have never understood those people who, when the Reds are losing, say 'Oh, well', we still got an X amount of games lead. Win them all is what I say.

justincredible
09-21-2012, 02:06 PM
I really, REALLY hope this poll stays unanimous.

Stray
09-21-2012, 02:22 PM
I root for the Reds to win every game they play. We will still play to win obviously, but we shouldn't base what we do on what other teams are doing. That's part of having a giant lead and a clinched playoff spot. We can rest players and setup our rotation however we want.

Maker_84
09-21-2012, 02:24 PM
i will always root for the Reds but if the Dodgers beat us and gain ground on St Louis then im not gonna lose sleep over it

webbbj
09-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Feel free to not participate or comment if it is beneath your alleged intelligence level.

However, in the past few weeks we have had threads discussing whether it is a good idea to NOT get the #1 seed in order to avoid the wild card.

We have had constant Cardinals/Pirates updates that is largely detailing how lucky St. Louis is and why we need to avoid them in October.

So, this week, the Reds play the two teams that can take a wild card berth away from St. Louis. It is perfectly logical to think that those who want to avoid St. Louis in October would want to see the Dodgers or Brewers overtake them and these next 6 games are vital in making that happen.

Like I said, I want the Reds to win and wouldn't give a crap if we play St. Louis. But there are some who don't. I think it would be interesting to read their view.

If you don't, adios.

i just think this poll has a very loser mentality to it.

I want the #1 seed and homefield throughout. I hink its pretty clear thats what every reds fan should want aswell. I know the players do aswell.

HometownHero
09-21-2012, 02:47 PM
We should just lose to the Brewers on our own if they take 3 of 4 or better vs the Nats so no need to root for them to lose. Even if the Cards are going to make it we need to pull for them to need to fight to the end to do it.

Playing macho baseball got the Phillies bounced in the first round and cost them a playoff spot the next year will all of the players needed surgery at the end of the year after getting rode so hard.

Biff Pocoroba
09-21-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm going on the assumption that St. Louis will be playing Atlanta in the wildcard game. And I'm hoping that we end up playing the winner of that game.

LexRedsFan
09-21-2012, 04:54 PM
If you really wanted to avoid StL, and were a true Reds fan: You cheer against StL and for Cincy right now...and then pull against StL in the WC playoff, or pull for the Nationals to just keep pace and then we get the 2 seed.

Personally, I'll play anyone anytime: I like our team.

Trajinous
09-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Never.

The answer is to root for the Reds to win every game and the Cardinals to lose every game from here on out. Reds get home-field advantage and Cardinals miss the playoffs. Go Reds!

Reminder: The Reds are currently in the playoffs while the Cardinals aren't, FACT!

goreds2
09-21-2012, 04:57 PM

And miss out on this? No way!

http://omgreds.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/reds-woooo-guy-650x406.jpg

Kcbuckeye22
09-21-2012, 05:07 PM
I must be a odd ball but I'd love the chance to destroy STL.

Krawhitham
09-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Not rooting against the Reds but I would not mind if these 3 games were manned by the AAA group we saw yesterday

bigredmechanism
09-21-2012, 06:53 PM

Yup.

Bring em on. We're getting healthy, and we are a better overall team than them. No team scares me at this point. If we lose, then we lose. But I like our chances no matter who we play.

Red Buckeye
09-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Honestly I am worried about playing St.Louis in the playoffs. Especially with the fact they should have Carpenter back. But the Dodgers scare me as well.

I know they haven't put it together yet, but with all the guys they got from Boston they worry me as well.

Personally I am rooting for Milwaukee to take the final WC spot. I think the Reds would handle them just fine in the playoffs.

But I absolutely couldn't root for them when they play us this week.

WDE
09-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Seriously? Who voted against the Reds? Fess up.

EDIT: My bad, looks like it was Kcbuckeye22

Ironman92
09-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Do what you need to do, in terms of resting players.....but you just keep doing what you've done all along.

Fear the Cardinals as opposed to the Dodgers/Brewers? Fair enough right now.....but if the Brewers are hot enough to make it that makes them very dangerous. Dodgers? Meh, but they just beat us once at home 12 hours ago.

Teams don't win twice in a row and the Cardinals aren't either....they still have a lot of work to take care of.

If they get past the stupid 1 game playoff.....the Braves are the story to watch IMO.

texasdave
09-22-2012, 10:19 AM
The Reds will get solid starting pitching, excellent relief pitching, play stellar defense and score just enough runs to keep advancing. Cincinnati is having a parade this year.

Ironman92
09-22-2012, 10:25 AM
The Reds will get solid starting pitching, excellent relief pitching, play stellar defense and score just enough runs to keep advancing. Cincinnati is having a parade this year.

Hopefully a bigger one than I'll be at tonight. Apple Festival is big stuff though!

Krawhitham
09-22-2012, 10:27 AM

I rather to be the team that knocks them out of the playoff chase during the last 3 games of the season. I would not want them in the playoffs

webbbj
09-22-2012, 12:00 PM

Im with you. Facing the cards would be the Reds most favorable matchup.

Im just really dumbfounded with this fear most reds fans have for a team that the reds are better than, will have no time to set their rotation, will be traveling to ATL then back to STL and the Reds will have HFA.

HometownHero
09-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Im with you. Facing the cards would be the Reds most favorable matchup.

Im just really dumbfounded with this fear most reds fans have for a team that the reds are better than, will have no time to set their rotation, will be traveling to ATL then back to STL and the Reds will have HFA.

We lost to them 3 of 4 series and now they have Carpenter back.