PDA

View Full Version : Central division trophy

schottzie
09-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Anybody know anything about the National League Central trophy in this USA Today photo? http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mlb/story/2012/09/22/minus-baker-reds-blank-dodgers-clinch-nl-central/57827484/1

Is this a new thing? I don't remember anything similar in 2010, but I could be missing something.

Anyone have any ideas? Go Redlegs.

tedies
09-22-2012, 11:51 PM
haha I don't know where they got that thing

redsman
09-23-2012, 12:13 AM
I was curious about the trophy too. I didn't know there was a central division trophy.

muethibp
09-24-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't think there is a Central Division trophy, I think that's just bad reporting (shocking). I think it's the trophy that this team has been carrying around most of the year for, well, seemingly the heck of it. That trophy being in that picture is, I think, akin to having the mascot in the picture.

arkimadee
09-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Cards fans think this trophy is Bush League and that we have no right to do anything fun like use a fake trophy. Just get over it already!!! It is in no way a slap in the face to any team, it's more of just an inside joke with a crappy flea market trophy. perhaps they were just having fun? is that not allowed? You are allowed to celebrate for winning a division title. I know its been a while since the Cards won one and yes I know you won the world series last year, God knows everytime the Reds say anything you all remind us of the month and a half hot streak you had last year. Stop being bitter and quit worrying about stupid stuff Cards fans. That's all

swaisuc
09-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Pretty sure that is just the Ohio Cup for beating the Indians.

ETA: maybe not, google images show it looking different. I listened to the WLW celebration after the clinch and Brantley referred to carrying around the Ohio Cup over and over.

goreds2
09-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Larkin88 obtained this information:

Quote:
GOLD CUP: The Reds’ postgame victory celebration Saturday included players drinking from a big, gold trophy cup. Not exactly the Stanley Cup, and not exactly a priceless heirloom.

“I got it from an antique store,” catcher Devin Mesoraco said. “I think it came from talking about the Ohio Cup (Reds-Indians trophy), but I’m not sure.”

As one story goes, outfielder Ryan Ludwick had been talking about “winning the cup.” Mesoraco bought an actual “cup,” which has sat in the middle of the Reds’ clubhouse for about half the season.

“Everybody was happy about the Cup,” Mesoraco said. “We talked about trying to win the Cup every series.”

Source

Larkin88
09-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Larkin88 obtained this information:

Quote:
GOLD CUP: The Reds’ postgame victory celebration Saturday included players drinking from a big, gold trophy cup. Not exactly the Stanley Cup, and not exactly a priceless heirloom.

“I got it from an antique store,” catcher Devin Mesoraco said. “I think it came from talking about the Ohio Cup (Reds-Indians trophy), but I’m not sure.”

As one story goes, outfielder Ryan Ludwick had been talking about “winning the cup.” Mesoraco bought an actual “cup,” which has sat in the middle of the Reds’ clubhouse for about half the season.

“Everybody was happy about the Cup,” Mesoraco said. “We talked about trying to win the Cup every series.”

Source

Yeah, where the heck did my post go?

muethibp
09-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Pretty sure that is just the Ohio Cup for beating the Indians.

ETA: maybe not, google images show it looking different. I listened to the WLW celebration after the clinch and Brantley referred to carrying around the Ohio Cup over and over.

When I was driving home from Cleveland after the Indians finished the sweep (we left in the 7th or so), I recall Marty saying that the Indians would retain the cup in the event of a season series push.

texasdave
09-26-2012, 01:37 PM

To save bandwidth they are taking all the crappy posts down after an hour. :lol:

Just kidding.

Larkin88
09-26-2012, 01:41 PM
To save bandwidth they are taking all the crappy posts down after an hour. :lol:

Just kidding.

Freaking bandwidth police. I'm going to head over to the Saint Louis Post Dispatch forums where people respect me.

goreds2
09-26-2012, 02:13 PM

You placed the post here:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98581&page=2

Moosie52
09-26-2012, 03:30 PM
It's nice Mes got to choose the trophy and the rest of the team adopted it. :laugh: Hey, it's better than getting stuck a nasty old falling apart trophy.

TechnoPhobia
09-27-2012, 08:16 AM
C'mon people. This cup is clearly a tacky inside joke. This team needs to remember their legacy as the Big Red Machine, act like they have been there before, and pose with a trophy when and IF they win the NL pennant or World Series.

justincredible
09-27-2012, 09:17 AM
C'mon people. This cup is clearly a tacky inside joke. This team needs to remember their legacy as the Big Red Machine, act like they have been there before, and pose with a trophy when and IF they win the NL pennant or World Series.

Or, they're a team full of guys that like to have fun. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this fake trophy. Who the hell are we to tell a team how they can or can't celebrate?

Mr Larkin
09-27-2012, 12:20 PM
I think its funny. They bought their own trophy and strove to "deserve" it. If I were on the team, I would appreciate that motivation.

foxfire123
10-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Story on "The Cup" from the St Louis paper today: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/the-story-behind-cincinnati-s-cup/article_cf7bab2c-0be8-11e2-af84-0019bb30f31a.html

I think it's fun myself, and if it motivate the guys, so be it. Cards fans had their squirrel last year, how is this any different? :)