Ludwick 7
Bruce 9
Rolen 5
Hanigan 2
Stubbs
Bailey 1

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Totally meaningless game now except that Homer is trying break Johnny Vander Meer's record. I expect the starters to come out early if they stick to this lineup.

Kc61
10-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Of all of Dusty's lineups for 162 games, I don't understand this at all. It's a meaningless game why take ANY injury risks.

Phillips hasn't been completely healthy. Rolen is always an injury risk. Hanigan, catchers are always at risk. Votto, let him rest that knee.

The only guy I can figure is Bruce who needs another RBI for 100.

powersackers
10-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Start them and come out early is a good plan. No injuries needed.

Kc61
10-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Start them and come out early is a good plan. No injuries needed.

Why start them? We've seen Phillips leg/thigh issue. Rolen gets hurt frequently.

Why start them at all?

Chip R
10-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Totally meaningless game now except that Homer is trying break Johnny Vander Meer's record. I expect the starters to come out early if they stick to this lineup.

So, on the unlikely chance Homer does throw another no-no, if he threw a third one in his first start next year, would that break Vandermeer's record or do they treat that like a hitting streak where you start over in a new season?

Wonderful Monds
10-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Why start them? We've seen Phillips leg/thigh issue. Rolen gets hurt frequently.

Why start them at all?

So they aren't rusty come the NLDS? They're getting 2 days of the rest of the week. I think they will live.

dsmith421
10-03-2012, 05:00 PM
I'll be watching to see if Drew Stubbs finishes the year with more strikeouts (165) than total bases (164).

I am not making that up.

Kc61
10-03-2012, 05:07 PM
So they aren't rusty come the NLDS? They're getting 2 days of the rest of the week. I think they will live.

Yes, it's important for the Reds to keep the regulars in to continue with their current offensive momentum.

Here's my lineup tonight, entirely geared to getting Bruce his RBI without using anyone who is an injury risk (except Ludwick who needs the work):

HRod 2B
Frazier 3B
Bruce RF
Ludwick LF
Heisey CF
Hanigan C
Cairo 1B
Bailey P
Gregorius SS

Brutus
10-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Of all of Dusty's lineups for 162 games, I don't understand this at all. It's a meaningless game why take ANY injury risks.

Phillips hasn't been completely healthy. Rolen is always an injury risk. Hanigan, catchers are always at risk. Votto, let him rest that knee.

The only guy I can figure is Bruce who needs another RBI for 100.

This isn't like football or basketball. Timing is a big part of baseball. Dusty might not want his starters having three straight days off without hitting live pitching if he can avoid it.

Kc61
10-03-2012, 05:31 PM
This isn't like football or basketball. Timing is a big part of baseball. Dusty might not want his starters having three straight days off without hitting live pitching if he can avoid it.

LOL, they haven't exhibited a lot of timing lately, at least on offense, I doubt tonight makes a difference.

Injuries are also a big part of baseball.

cumberlandreds
10-03-2012, 05:32 PM
So, on the unlikely chance Homer does throw another no-no, if he threw a third one in his first start next year, would that break Vandermeer's record or do they treat that like a hitting streak where you start over in a new season?

I don't know. My guess is that they would treat it as a record with a big fat * beside it.

The Snow Chief
10-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Is Bailey still scheduled to start tonight now that the Nats have the 1 seed locked up? If so, and if the story about the Reds going with a three man rotation is true, that seems to be very strange. This is a meaningless game. If Homer's role is indeed the person who can jump in and replace a starter who gets in trouble early, that means that he will be on short rest if he starts tonight and if Cueto or Arroyo struggle in games 1 or 2.

If he is going to be the game 4 starter or if this game meant something, I would not have a problem with him starting. If he is indeed supposed to be the insurance policy, why would you pitch him tonight? I say give any bullpen arms who need the work an inning each and then let the September call ups take the remainder of the innings tonight.

RedsMan3203
10-03-2012, 05:57 PM
The Braves had alot of their normal starters in today... After 3innings they started pulling them...

I'd guess that is what is going to happen tonight.

Tom Servo
10-03-2012, 05:59 PM
I don't wish harm on any player...but I really wouldn't mind of Stubbs broke his pinky finger in his left hand or something.

Kc61
10-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Is Bailey still scheduled to start tonight now that the Nats have the 1 seed locked up? If so, and if the story about the Reds going with a three man rotation is true, that seems to be very strange. This is a meaningless game. If Homer's role is indeed the person who can jump in and replace a starter who gets in trouble early, that means that he will be on short rest if he starts tonight and if Cueto or Arroyo struggle in games 1 or 2.

If he is going to be the game 4 starter or if this game meant something, I would not have a problem with him starting. If he is indeed supposed to be the insurance policy, why would you pitch him tonight? I say give any bullpen arms who need the work an inning each and then let the September call ups take the remainder of the innings tonight.

My understanding is that the Reds have not COMMITTED to a three man rotation. They have left open the possibility of Homer starting game 4, although maybe not.

I'm guessing that if the Reds are up in the series 2-1 Homer will get the start. If the Reds are trailing then Cueto will start game 4.

In addition, Lecure, Marshall, Brox, and Chapman all pitched last night. Homer will go five tonight and the other guys, Arredondo, Simon, Hoover, whomever, maybe even Leake, will get a little work.

Wonderful Monds
10-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Yes, it's important for the Reds to keep the regulars in to continue with their current offensive momentum.

Here's my lineup tonight, entirely geared to getting Bruce his RBI without using anyone who is an injury risk (except Ludwick who needs the work):

HRod 2B
Frazier 3B
Bruce RF
Ludwick LF
Heisey CF
Hanigan C
Cairo 1B
Bailey P
Gregorius SS

It's to start to give them momentum. It's a move that makes complete sense. Complaining about it is just being nit picky.

Tom Servo
10-03-2012, 08:26 PM
There will not be a no hitter tonight.

10-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Van der Meer's record is safe ;)

Kc61
10-03-2012, 08:31 PM
It's to start to give them momentum. It's a move that makes complete sense. Complaining about it is just being nit picky.

Maybe you'll explain at some point why this particular game is likely to give the Reds momentum. Momentum usually comes from positive action, perhaps you can explain why this game is likely to provide it.

Last night was a win, maybe that game provided momentum that the Reds shoulld have taken directly into the playoffs. Maybe tonight's game will impair momentum rather than provide it. Nobody knows.

But I do know that nothing kills momentum like injuries and it is not "nit picky" to wonder why Dusty is risking injury to players in an entirely meaningless game with the playoffs starting in three days. I'm sure he has his reasons, I just wouldn't do it.

Gizmo
10-03-2012, 09:10 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about that....

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Miller is pitching a NO HITTER.

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-03-2012, 09:11 PM

There might, actually.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Actually, it would be a kick in the face if the Reds were no-hit tonight.

Kc61
10-03-2012, 09:13 PM

How's that momentum coming along so far?

Degenerate39
10-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Hey the Reds are being No-hit

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 09:22 PM
This is a lively bunch tonight.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Hey the Reds are being No-hit

Glad someone noticed.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 09:24 PM
No hitter through 4.1 innings

Tom Servo
10-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Make that through 5

NJReds
10-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Maybe they're getting the no hitter out of the way before the playoffs this year?

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Make that through 5

They're just going through the motions and that's sad in a way.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 09:31 PM
And we're about to see some runs. Arredondo on the mound.

alloverjr
10-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Now that the scrubs are out (except Valdez and Cairo) this team should at least get a hit. Good tune up boys. :lol:

Degenerate39
10-03-2012, 09:34 PM
5 no hit innings. No hitter through 5 innings. Through 5 innings he has a no hitter

MikeThierry
10-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Miller needs some more seasoning but I like what I see thus far from him. You can see why the Cards drafted him in the first round.

WildcatFan
10-03-2012, 09:39 PM
*cough*go Braves*cough*

WildcatFan
10-03-2012, 09:43 PM
This is one of those innings where if Miller keeps his NO HITTER going, he's probably going to get it. Reds hitters are flailing.

Tom Servo
10-03-2012, 09:45 PM
thank you wilson valdez

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Clap all you want bird fans. Hopefully, after today, you won't see your team again until April.

Gizmo
10-03-2012, 09:47 PM
I don't understand why teams don't call up a RHP rookie to face us every day. I'd almost think we'd go 0-162 if that was the case as bad as we look against these guys every time.

alloverjr
10-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Not bashing Dusty, but I think this game had the polar opposite effect than he'd planned. Get the starters to get a few AB's and feel good going into the weekend. Instead, they didn't hit any balls hard, if they hit at all.

Maybe telling that Hoover pitches here and not Ondrusek, although he may pitch the 7th.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 10:12 PM
It would be a pile of crap if Berkman drives in a run or homers here.

Didn't happen even if he did get a rabid cheer throughout his AB. Rusty.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 10:16 PM
X Man singles in the top of the 8th leading off

Heisey swings a a pitch a mile outside on a hit and run and Paul is thrown out at second and strikes out

Cairo ground out weakly to end the inning.

VR
10-03-2012, 10:24 PM
It's going to be down to the wire....but it does appear Valdez (.228) will lead the league in lowest slugging, and Cairo (.213) in lowest OBP.

/awesome

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 10:27 PM
It's going to be down to the wire....but it does appear Valdez (.228) will lead the league in lowest slugging, and Cairo (.213) in lowest OBP.

/awesome

And both will probably be on the roster for the playoffs.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Cingrani on the bump in the 8th after Broxton allows a hit and gets an out.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Cingrani walks his first batter. Cards lead 1-0 on an error by Phillips.

Chip R
Ugh, Thom. "It should be noted Cingrani is not on the 40 man roster." So, if he's not on the 40 man roster, what is he doing pitching for the Reds now?

Tom Servo
Ugh, Thom. "It should be noted Cingrani is not on the 40 man roster." So, if he's not on the 40 man roster, what is he doing pitching for the Reds now?
:bang::bang::bang:

NJReds
10-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Cingrani walks his first batter. Cards lead 1-0 on an error by Phillips.

Phillips has been out for a while. Think that was Rodriguez.

VR
10-03-2012, 10:35 PM
And both will probably be on the roster for the playoffs.

it's good to have options. Worse, and worser.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Phillips has been out for a while. Think that was Rodriguez.

Correct. Just look out at second and you always think of Brandon. My bad. And now an infield tapper becomes a hit and the bases are loaded.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Top of the 9th coming up. Looks like a lost cause tonight.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Valdez, Votto, Rodriguez, and hopefully Bruce up. Alphabet on the mound.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Valdez beats out an infield squibler on an error.

Votto strikes out.

Motte on to close

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Rod grounds out to the right side as does Bruce. Reds lose.

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Nice way to go into the playoffs - getting shut out by the cardinals B team.

Brutal.

Gizmo
10-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Good to see our bats peaking heading into the playoffs.....

Kc61
10-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Good momentum builder.

Tom Servo
10-03-2012, 10:53 PM
We're bad again.

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-03-2012, 10:54 PM
This team hasn't been the same since votto returned. And votto is clearly not the same. There's no reason to think anything will drastically change on Saturday.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Jay Bruce down in one of his infamous slumps once again as is the rest of the team. Lets hope the bats wake up by Saturday night. Please.

Tom Servo
10-03-2012, 10:57 PM
This team hasn't been the same since votto returned. And votto is clearly not the same. There's no reason to think anything will drastically change on Saturday.
You wrote them off back in May.

Tony Cloninger
10-03-2012, 10:57 PM
HR swing reminds me of Willie Greene. It looks nice but also lazy....and he fits right in. Barely takes any pitches.

IF the Reds are not concerned why should we be? I am not trying to be positive either.....it's almost like they are oblivious to it and think they can just get by without it.

WVRedsFan
10-03-2012, 11:06 PM
This post season playoff thing is disconcerting, though. We play two in SF against their two best pitchers and we march out our ace and Bronson in game two, leaving our no. 2 until game three. It's confusing, but if the bats don't wake up, it won't make any difference anyway.

MikeThierry
10-03-2012, 11:25 PM

Brutal.

Actually, that was more of our C team. Even in our B team, Skip Schumaker doesn't bat in the 3 hole. When I saw this lineup, I laughed and almost spit out the water I was drinking.

George Foster
10-03-2012, 11:49 PM
This was our starting line-up for Saturday...shut out by a AA-AAA team. I got nothing...

REDREAD
10-04-2012, 10:26 AM

:lol: "Mr Know It All" stumbles again

traderumor
10-04-2012, 04:05 PM
This was our starting line-up for Saturday...shut out by a AA-AAA team. I got nothing...

Brutal.

Good to see our bats peaking heading into the playoffs.....

Good momentum builder.

A whole bunch of question begging in these comments.

Would it really prove anything if they scored 5, 10, 15 runs in that game? If Votto, Bruce, Frazier, Ludwick, and Stubbs all hit homers in that game, what would that mean for the playoffs? Would that be predictive of playoff success? Would they be more pumped for Saturday's game and do better? Is baseball about momentum or "peaking"? Do ballplayers really hit better in a current series because they've been hitting good for a week, or in the last few games, or in the last series?

The moral of this hand wringing about performance in September to me is this: if the playoffs are a crapshoot, which seems to be a clear consensus that I've seen repeated by poster after poster, and the name of the game is just to get there, teams can just get unexplainedly hot during the playoffs...it seems like all bets are off coming Saturday and a new "season" begins.

traderumor
10-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Actually, that was more of our C team. Even in our B team, Skip Schumaker doesn't bat in the 3 hole. When I saw this lineup, I laughed and almost spit out the water I was drinking.Its gonna be a real bummer tomorrow when the "A" team gets taken down then, eh? To watch it all crash and burn in one game after 162 hard fought ones to get that far is a pretty harsh way to go out.

It also is ludicrous that a team 9 games out in their division after 162 games even gets a shot at the prize. Playoff welfare.

MikeThierry
10-06-2012, 02:20 AM
Its gonna be a real bummer tomorrow when the "A" team gets taken down then, eh? To watch it all crash and burn in one game after 162 hard fought ones to get that far is a pretty harsh way to go out.

It also is ludicrous that a team 9 games out in their division after 162 games even gets a shot at the prize. Playoff welfare.

You mad bro?

traderumor
10-06-2012, 03:16 PM
You mad bro?Trash talking, don't do it much, but the Cards bring it out in me. :p