PDA

View Full Version : Which closer would you rather have this year

Red Leader
04-08-2003, 11:36 AM
Jason Isringhausen or Jose Jimenez?

Isringhausen was dropped in my league, and I'm not sure whether or not I should waive Jimenez to pick him up. Jimenez scares me to death when he pitches and I am often hesitant to put him in my active roster. I already have Guardado and Foulke as my closers. Isringhausen is coming off of shoulder surgery and should be back within 2 weeks. My question is, will he be effective and "better" than Jimenez? This is his second shoulder surgery, and he has 3 elbow surgeries to add to that list. So, if you had to choose which closer would you rather have on your team for this year?

Also, as an FYI, I am in 1st place after week 1. The team in second place only has one closer, Mariano Rivera, and will definately try to pick up Isringhausen. I have a higher waiver priority than him, so I should get him, but if I drop Jimenez, he will pick him up instead, so not only do I have to know who is better for my team, but who is better to let my opponent have as well.

Gus
04-08-2003, 02:46 PM
I would stick with Jimenez, Izzy has been to big of risk with his injury history, especially the last couple of years. I don't have the #'s but didn't Jimenez rack up 35-40 saves last year.

Red Leader
04-08-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Gus
I would stick with Jimenez, Izzy has been to big of risk with his injury history, especially the last couple of years. I don't have the #'s but didn't Jimenez rack up 35-40 saves last year.

Jimenez had 41 saves last year, but also had a 2-10 W-L record.
Izzy had 32 saves and a 3-2 W-L record.

Izzy's ERA and WHIP were better also.

I personally think Isringhausen IS the better pitcher of the two, I'm just concerned that coming off a second shoulder surgery, he's not going to be the same player he was last year.

As I said before, I'm not only dictating which closer I want for MY team, but I'm also deciding which closer I want my main competitor in this league to have, as whoever I don't take for my team, he will pick up for his.

Sabo Fan
04-08-2003, 03:09 PM
Let him have Jimenez and sabotage his team. There is no way in my opinion that Jimenez can duplicate his numbers from last season. I say go with Isringhausen, especially since you've already got two stud closers.