PDA

View Full Version : Two postseason games only available on MLB Network

realreds1
10-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Today's Tigers/A's game is only available on MLB Network. The station will carry another exclusive game on Wednesday, October 10th.

Remember when you needed only basic cable to watch the baseball playoffs?

If I want to see either game, I have to up my cable package, which I'd prefer not to do.

Call the Commissioner's Office to protest "pay-to-watch" playoff games on MLB Network - 212-931-7800.

GotHeeeeem
10-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Not that I agree with having to up your package to watch postseason baseball but I will say its worth it over the course of an entire season. MLB Network is pretty damn good, especially if your a huge baseball fan. Baseball 24 hours a day!

joshua
10-07-2012, 02:16 PM
MLB Network is awesome. I watch it constantly. Their announcing crews are much much better than what TBS and especially Fox have. I wouldnt mind if every playoff game was on MLBN...although I would prefer them all being on FSNOH.

CaliBuck
10-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Any upgrade in a package is worth it if you get MLB Network. That channel rocks.

10-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Big agree on MLB Network. We get it through our satellite provider so less of a singular upgrade decision that way. Tangent but I'll never do cable again. Satellite or fiber. MLB.TV is an even better deal if you travel. Amazing return on investment with nearly all games available all the time with PIP, split screen, boxes, highlights. Only downside there is no postseason but, if you're a baseball fan, I can't imagine the argument to not get it. if you care about only one home market team and don't want to watch any others maybe.

WDE
10-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I love MLB Network. It is the baseball equivalent to NFL Red Zone for football, for anyone who has that channel.

HalMorrisRules
10-07-2012, 08:31 PM
I watch MLBN three times as much as I watch ESPN Sportscenter.

Ironman92
10-07-2012, 08:44 PM
MLB Network is tremendous

Cant Touch This
10-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I watch MLBN three times as much as I watch ESPN Sportscenter.

I cannot quantify my ratio as it is mathematically impossible to divide by zero.

I know it's cliched to pounce all over ESPN & Sportscenter, but it's no longer just hyperbole. Their routine is stale and the personalities have no originality. I truthfully don't enjoy ESPN programming anymore and tune into the station only to watch live events. I remember how excited I used to get to watch Baseball Tonight - but now I haven't watched it in two seasons thanks to MLB Network.

Biff Pocoroba
10-08-2012, 11:55 AM
The NFL Network has been running games on Thursday for years despite the howls of protest from Time Warner Cable subscribers who couldn't watch the games? Why? Because the end goal was to get their network on all cable and satellite providers - as part of the regular rotation rather than as a premium channel.

I would imagine that the MLB network would like to see the same thing. And one way to exert pressure is to host some percentage of games that fans really want to see.

goreds2
10-08-2012, 12:39 PM
I watch MLBN three times as much as I watch ESPN Sportscenter. 10 times as much for me. :thumbup:

MrRedLegger
10-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Although most of us have the luxury and are priveleged to be able to afford/have MLB network, I agree with the OP about the inconvenience. Football is a few steps ahead, but if you want to watch football on Thursdays (which a game happens every week now) you have to pay for it or go to a bar to watch it. Monday night football moved from ABC to ESPN not too long ago, and even then there were some people who lost that privelege to watch the games.

It's a slippery slope which is what I've noticed.

It's all about $$$ these days, because the execs know that people will pay to watch their teams. Just ask Mike Brown...

jhiller21
10-08-2012, 01:23 PM
I remember when you didn't need cable at all to watch. They would adjust the schedule so every game was on FOX.

Of course you had to suffer through Tim McCarver, so cable's worth it.

Biff Pocoroba
10-08-2012, 01:38 PM
I remember when you didn't need cable at all to watch. They would adjust the schedule so every game was on FOX.

Of course you had to suffer through Tim McCarver, so cable's worth it.

Yeah, but it also look like 47 days to get through the first round of the playoffs.

realreds1
10-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Although most of us have the luxury and are priveleged to be able to afford/have MLB network, I agree with the OP about the inconvenience. Football is a few steps ahead, but if you want to watch football on Thursdays (which a game happens every week now) you have to pay for it or go to a bar to watch it. Monday night football moved from ABC to ESPN not too long ago, and even then there were some people who lost that privelege to watch the games.

It's a slippery slope which is what I've noticed.

It's all about $$$ these days, because the execs know that people will pay to watch their teams. Just ask Mike Brown...

That is my point exactly. I am not denying the quality of the MLB Network. Instead, I am watching the prices to watch professional sports soar on every front, and I think more people should take notice and speak up about it.

Ticket prices are getting more and more expensive. Playoff games are now going to channels that require additional services and fees. Where does that leave the common person?

Oh yeah, and get off my lawn. ;)

redsrolen
10-08-2012, 06:09 PM
MLB Network is awesome. I watch it constantly. Their announcing crews are much much better than what TBS and especially Fox have. I wouldnt mind if every playoff game was on MLBN...although I would prefer them all being on FSNOH.

I so agree...great station except for the 2 fools on the 'Rundown'...they picked SF to go to the WS....:laugh:

nismoredlegs
10-08-2012, 06:14 PM
I feel like im cheating on my girlfiriend when I watch postseason on anything but MLB network; and then I realize my mistress just wasnt as good as I imagined.

No lie, MLB network feels like home, nothing else compares. Maybe cause it is my home channel. But, the differences are magnified with games back and forth inbetween networks.

The MLBN announcers are a lot more educated, more in depth and dont peddle on lame, shallow, fan talk. It less insulting to not listen to basic rules explained at least twice every game.

Serious and seasoned baseball fan watches MLB network who usually doesnt need a recap on the season basics, announcers seem to realize their audience,.
Casual, bandwagon fan or curious housewife watches Fox/TBS. Like MLBN, announcers realize their audience as well.

If you dont have MLBN...take my word, youre missing out, its worth the price.

alwaysawarrior
10-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Agree with everyone about MLBN I love that I no longer need to watch ESPN to TRY to see highlights. If I am home and watching TV that isn't a live game it is probably MLBN.