PDA

View Full Version : Winter 2012-2013

stfm965
10-11-2012, 05:26 PM
What should the Reds do?

This is how I cope, I'm prepared to move on with my eye on the future for our team. I don't want to revel in the loss, I want to talk about making the team better for next year.

We can make the reasonable assumption that the team won't be big spenders and if they do dole out the cash it wil be for extensions (Latos, Bailey, Ludwick are all candidates). After the Latos and Marshall trades, I don't see the team dealing too many prospects and leave the farm system barren.

1. Left Field: either re-sign Ludwick (assuming he tests the market) or find another replacement. If a 3B is available, you can move Frazier to LF as well.

2. Center Field: unless the FO sticks with Stubbs til Hamilton is ready

3. Back end of the bullpen: If Broxton isn't resigned, I wonder if they'll bring Madson back cheap as an 8th inning guy.

Potential targets:

Delmon Young (too many K's)
Torii Hunter (aging, may not leave the West Coast)
Kevin Youkilis (all the same issues as Rolen)
David DeJesus (the Cubs might have too high an asking price)
Matt Garza (a package deal with him and DeJesus would be amazing, but expensive)
Justin Upton (pipe dream)
Jacob Ellsbury (see above)

Expected departures: Miguel Cairo, Scott Rolen, Jonathan Broxton
Potential departures: Ryan Ludwick
Expected additions: Henry Rodriguez

This is just an immediate post-game thought....what do you all think?

osuredleg24
10-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Really need a leadoff hitter and a #4 hitter that's not Ludwick or Bruce

HometownHero
10-11-2012, 05:44 PM
A CF with some OBP and bench depth

stfm965
10-11-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm intrigued by DeJesus. He only hit .263 but had a .350 OBP. He's lefty and his BB/K ratio is fantastic. I'd hope that he could be had, going into the last year of his contract. And he'd serve as a nice bridge to Hamilton.

As far as the bench goes, I think Henry Rodriguez is a no-brainer to replace Cairo. Can play three positions well, decent hitter, and is a switch hitter.

Stray
10-11-2012, 05:51 PM
CF is the big spot to upgrade. Ideally a leadoff hitter CFer....we have one working his way up our farm system.

Then Phillips can take his decent OBP to the 2 hole where he'll be followed by a 100% healthy Votto. After that I'd resign Ludwick, keep Bruce at 5, then Frazier-Cozart-Catcher.

Figure out what you're doing with Leake because Cingrani is coming up and Chapman could still potentially be a starter. Work out a few things in the pen but that shouldn't take much work. And then obviously get a better bench.

Try to keep Paul around and so something with Heisey. Stubbs can be a defensive OF replacement if his position is upgraded.

And I'm out of ideas now lol.

Old NDN
10-11-2012, 06:30 PM
A leadoff hitter/CF.

Give Rolen his gold watch and a "thanks for your service" speech.

Either commit to Frazier as the full-time 3B or go find a better replacement. I'm not sold on him as the answer. Pitchers have figured him out and he hasn't/can't adjust.

Re-sign Ludwick.

Improve the bench. Cairo, Valdez gone. Re-sign Paul, Navarro. Add Henry and a couple of free agent castoffs.

Re-sign Broxton, Madson. If Chapman is headed to the rotation, both would be good options.

webbbj
10-11-2012, 06:32 PM
they dont need a major shakeup. They just need to make a definitive decision on Chapman's future and stick w/ it.

Get a CF.

They might be able to play around w/ a trade for a CF, especially if Chap is a starter. W/ Cingrani, Leake, and Chap we would have 7 potential starters w/ 5 spots.

If chap remains a closer, that may not be the best idea. We were really fortunate to not run into any injuries w/ the starters.

And the manager will be addressed obviously.

Decisions on Madson, Broxton, Rolen, Ludwick will be addressed.

Stubbs I wouldnt mind on the team but he has to be batting 8th, coming off the bench and starting <30 games.

Big offseason w/ lots of action but dont do anything crazy like trade Bruce or something.

Possible contract revisions for Bailey.

RedTruck
10-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Micheal Bourne at CF would be awfully nice to see.

DocRed
10-11-2012, 06:37 PM

Or Victorino.

HometownHero
10-11-2012, 06:37 PM

Yes he would, but we don't have the cash to beat out teams with money to sign him.

stfm965
10-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Bourn will be a hot commodity and require a long-term deal with tons of $$$$$. With Hamilton in the pipeline, I don't think they'll invest heavily in a CF. Any change at all will likely be a stop-gap and bridge from Stubbs to Hamilton.

I like Victorino, as well.

HometownHero
10-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Scott Rolen is preparing for retirement, but will delay any official announcement. #Reds
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/256517931075244034

redsfan1995
10-11-2012, 07:02 PM
I stickied this because we will make this the official Offseason Reds thread.

redsfan1995
10-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Heres the roster breakdown next year with salaries:
Under Contract:
Hanigan, Ryan: $2,050,000
Masset, Nick: $3,100,000
Cueto, Johnny: $7,400,000
Arroyo, Bronson: $11,500,000
Chapman, Aroldis: $2,00,000
Phillips, Brandon: $10,000,000
Votto, Joey: $17,000,000
Bruce, Jay: $7,500,000
Marshall, Sean: $4,500,000

Pre-Aribtration;
Frazier, Todd
Mesoraco, Devin
Cozart, Zack
Paul, Xavier
Heisey, Chris
LeCure, Sam
Hoover, J.J.
Cingrani, Tony
Ondrusek, Logan
Redmond, Todd
Gregorius, Didi
Lutz, Donald
Rodriguez, Henry
Soto, Neftali
Negron, Kris
Phipps, Denis

Arbitration-Eligible:
Valdez, Wilson
Bailey, Homer
Leake, Mike
Latos, Mat
Simon, Alfredo
Arredondo, José
Bray, Bill
Stubbs, Drew

Option:
Madson, Ryan: $11,000,000 Team Option, $2,500,000 buyout
Ludwick, Ryan: $5,000,000 Team Option, $500,000 buyout

Free Agent:
Broxton, Jonathan
Rolen, Scott
Cairo, Miguel
Navarro, Dioner

Redsfansince72
10-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Scott Rolen is preparing for retirement, but will delay any official announcement. #Reds
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/256517931075244034

On his last AB i was praying he would hit the game winner.. :( sucks

stfm965
10-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Priorities:

1. Re-sign Ludwick. He played extremely well once his BABIP normalized. He has to love the idea of hitting in GABP between Votto and Bruce. Obviously, the OF market is thin and he will command a lot of cash. I'd be comfortable offering him $20m/3yr.

2. Re-sign Broxton. Though I still think the Reds overpaid in that deal, the Marshall-Broxton-Chapman combo worked extremely effectively down the stretch. If he can be had affordably, the Reds should do it. If not, talk to Ryan Madson about trying again at a discounted rate and slide him into the 8th inning role.

3. Leadoff hitter/CF. I think this is unlikely. Unless someone like Victorino or DeJesus can be had, I doubt the Reds make a move and just wait til Billy Hamilton is ready to assume these roles.

4. Bench. Cairo is gone and one would hope he would be replaced with Rodriguez.

5. Starting Rotation. If an offer presents itself, go for it. If not, don't worry about it.

Kcbuckeye22
10-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Priorities:

1. Re-sign Ludwick. He played extremely well once his BABIP normalized. He has to love the idea of hitting in GABP between Votto and Bruce. Obviously, the OF market is thin and he will command a lot of cash. I'd be comfortable offering him $20m/3yr.

2. Re-sign Broxton. Though I still think the Reds overpaid in that deal, the Marshall-Broxton-Chapman combo worked extremely effectively down the stretch. If he can be had affordably, the Reds should do it. If not, talk to Ryan Madson about trying again at a discounted rate and slide him into the 8th inning role.

3. Leadoff hitter/CF. I think this is unlikely. Unless someone like Victorino or DeJesus can be had, I doubt the Reds make a move and just wait til Billy Hamilton is ready to assume these roles.

4. Bench. Cairo is gone and one would hope he would be replaced with Rodriguez.

5. Starting Rotation. If an offer presents itself, go for it. If not, don't worry about it.

Totally agree.

Kcbuckeye22
10-11-2012, 07:30 PM
I don't see a cheaper deal for cleanup than Luddy.

Big questions in off season. Mes, Fraizer, Cozart, Paul, D Nar, H Rod, and Flying Billy. Pitching Chappy, Ry-Mad, Nick, and Logan.

BP, Votto, Luddy, Bruce have a killer year in 2013.

stfm965
10-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Here's a crazy idea:

Michael Young from the Rangers. He's 36 but in a contract year. He's expensive but can spell Votto, Phillips, Frazier, Ludwick and Bruce and can be a proven leader with experience.

Calten
10-11-2012, 08:53 PM
What happpens with Navarro, Hannigan, and Mesoraco?

cincyforever
10-11-2012, 09:20 PM
What happpens with Navarro, Hannigan, and Mesoraco?
Mesoraco progresses (a lot) and hits .275 with 15 homeruns :rolleyes:

malcontent
10-11-2012, 09:20 PM
I think Gregorius replaces Valdez.

Possible that Rodriguez replaces Cairo.

That gives an additional two LH/SH bats right there.

Hopefully Jocketty could acquire another legit LH OF bat while re-signing Ludwick.

LawmanRich
10-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Never thought I'd say this but the Reds need to lock Homer in with a long term contract

TeamSelig
10-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Sign Youkilis and Bourn.
Idk how realistic this trade is but Leake for Willingham

Bourn CF
Phillips 2B
Votto 1B
Willingham LF
Bruce RF
Youkilis 3B
Hanigan C
Cozart SS
pitcher

We need a good lead off hitter but we really need another power hitter, specifically a right hander.

cincyforever
10-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Go hard after Ellsbury.

TeamSelig
10-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Ludwick has had 2 good seasons his entire career. He'll want a long term deal and will play poorly for the rest of it, IMO.

redsfan1995
10-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Sign Youkilis and Bourn.
Idk how realistic this trade is but Leake for Willingham

Bourn CF
Phillips 2B
Votto 1B
Willingham LF
Bruce RF
Youkilis 3B
Hanigan C
Cozart SS
pitcher

We need a good lead off hitter but we really need another power hitter,
specifically a right hander.

It would take more than Leake to get Willingham.

texasdave
10-12-2012, 01:32 AM
I would like to see the Reds take a run at Gerardo Parra. I think he is going to be a solid centerfielder.

Boro_BG_Red
10-12-2012, 02:11 AM
I saw the D'Backs were going to shop Parra and Jason Kubel in hopes of trading one for a shortstop or third basemen. Would love to have Parra, as he puts up good AB's and plays great defense, with a great arm. Would they take Gregorious for him?

malcontent
10-12-2012, 02:55 AM
I'd pass on Parra. Career 0.732 OPS.

.280 .332 .400 .732

Same with DeJesus.

.281 .355 .419 .774

I want to see a second LH bat actually capable of reaching the RF stands.

Because, right now, Bruce is it.

RiverRat13
10-12-2012, 09:06 AM
1. Make a decision on Chapman.

2. Someone who can get on base against right-handed pitching.

3. Another someone who can get on base against right-handed pitching.

Cant Touch This
10-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Trade Chapman to Colorado for Dexter Fowler. Re-sign Madson at a TJ discount, and depending on how he recovers from surgery, insert him or Broxton into the closer role.

As much as I love how electrifying Chapman can be (and his backup singing to Bronson) I think the time to trade him is now while his stock is peaking. The Reds have a surplus in the bullpen and that's what they need to tap in order to improve areas of weakness.

Let the Rockies experiment with Chapman as a starter. I love the guy - really I do - but he's the best trading chip the Reds have right now. (aside from Homer possibly.)

New lineup looks like this:

1. Fowler (CF)
2. Phillips (2B)
3. Votto (1B)
4. Ludwick (LF)
5. Bruce (RF)
6. Frazier (3B)
7. Cozart (SS)
8. Hanny (C)

UK Reds Fan
10-12-2012, 09:32 AM
1. Decision on Chapman is #1. I'd lean to groom him as starting vs. closer.
2. #1 means Madson has to be healthy and signed (or Broxton)...Hoover has bigger role and we may need to go find another lefty in bullpen to help Marshall from that side of plate.
3. Move Leake/Stubbs for lefty bullpen and/or left handed 3B or CF candidate.
4. Frazier to 3B or LF depends on what you can do at #3
5. Didi Gregorios and Henry Rodriguez take Cairo/Valdez spots.
6. We probably need to look replacement bat for Rolen's retirement since Frazier moves from bench to everyday lineup.
7. We have the potential of Hamilton is ready to take CF after all star break if fall goes well and 1/2 season in AAA...the bat is better than Stubbs today and defense may not be far behind.

- I honestly don't know what to do with Ludwick. I'd love to have him back, but he has to make a decision on if he wants to test the market. I'd understand if the Reds don't want part of a multi-year deal with all the other financial commitments made and those that need to be made (Bailey, Latos, etc).

Salukifan2
10-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Because Hamilton is only going to be able to probably get at most 5 years and most likely 3 or 4 i think the reds should definitely go after him. That would somewhat atone for letting him go in the first place.

krm1580
10-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I think the Reds pitching is in good shape going into next year but the lineup needs a significant change if they are going to win in the playoffs because they are entirely too right handed and have too many low OBP, swing and miss guys.

OneManBand
10-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Because Hamilton is only going to be able to probably get at most 5 years and most likely 3 or 4 i think the reds should definitely go after him. That would somewhat atone for letting him go in the first place.

But paying $25Mil isn't what this team is going to do for one player while majority of the team is getting raises regardless of the ESPN deal with MLB teams. Hamilton; I think would be a good fit for the Tampa Bay Rays. The Rays have made BJ Upton available every season for the past 3 years at one point or another. What a story that would be..

OneManBand
10-12-2012, 02:16 PM
I agree with others on the Chapman situation & here is my priority list:

1. Chapman.. Either we build his arm up to start or we stop saying every year he is a future starter.

2. CF.. Drew Stubbs isn't the answer. I'd like to see a Justin Upton trade or sign a guy like Nick Swisher for RF and move Bruce to CF.

3. Pick up Ludwick's Option.