PDA

View Full Version : Joey Votto should get Scott Rolen type treatment next season?

Maker_84
10-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Let's face it the Reds offense outside of games 1-2 was very bad and the offense all season was bad outside of 1 month. The Cardinals have been winning championships by resting alot of players throughout the season, building depth, and getting by just enough to get into the playoffs and it has worked. Doesn't seem like often lately the teams with the better records are performing well in the playoffs due to player fatigue/injury. Why not let Votto rest 1 game a week next season just to keep him fresh and somewhat prevent him from getting injured again? Just want to know some thoughts

HometownHero
10-14-2012, 07:36 PM
No just need him to get fully healthy over the winter, He still hit .389 with a .500 OBP in the playoffs he just wasn't 100% in the playoffs and was a singles hitter rather than the real JV.

Krawhitham
10-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Let's face it the Reds offense outside of games 1-2 was very bad and the offense all season was bad outside of 1 month. The Cardinals have been winning championships by resting alot of players throughout the season, building depth, and getting by just enough to get into the playoffs and it has worked. Doesn't seem like often lately the teams with the better records are performing well in the playoffs due to player fatigue/injury. Why not let Votto rest 1 game a week next season just to keep him fresh and somewhat prevent him from getting injured again? Just want to know some thoughts

They do not rest their players, they get hurt so they play less games

Mastodon
10-14-2012, 11:59 PM
And doing what the Cards do isn't always going to work. Keep in mind in every single other MLB season they wouldn't even be in the playoffs.

HometownHero
10-15-2012, 12:13 AM
And doing what the Cards do isn't always going to work. Keep in mind in every single other MLB season they wouldn't even be in the playoffs.

Don't say that or cw0802 will be in here crying.

redsfan80
10-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Just curious. Why are we so angry at a team getting into the playoffs according to the rules of the game? We act like the Cardinals should just forfeit the playoffs since they were the last team in. Just very strange thinking. I refuse to think like this because under this line of thinking for the first 100 years of baseball the Reds wouldn't have gotten into the playoffs this year due to not having the best record in the National League. I for one am glad the Reds got in....but I guarantee our Reds are going to be at some point trying to get that 5th playoff spot sometime in the future, and if we get in, we are not going to apologize to anyone if we win. It's part of the game.

(Don't forget the 5th wild card team has to play a "play in" game and therefore cannot set their rotation and also does not have home field advantage.)

BluegrassRedleg
10-17-2012, 12:21 AM

^ This.

texasdave
10-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Just curious. Why are we so angry at a team getting into the playoffs according to the rules of the game? We act like the Cardinals should just forfeit the playoffs since they were the last team in. Just very strange thinking. I refuse to think like this because under this line of thinking for the first 100 years of baseball the Reds wouldn't have gotten into the playoffs this year due to not having the best record in the National League. I for one am glad the Reds got in....but I guarantee our Reds are going to be at some point trying to get that 5th playoff spot sometime in the future, and if we get in, we are not going to apologize to anyone if we win. It's part of the game.

(Don't forget the 5th wild card team has to play a "play in" game and therefore cannot set their rotation and also does not have home field advantage.)

Your contention that the Reds would not have gotten into the playoffs under the old system because they did not have the best record in the NL is speculative at best. They had a huge lead and rested players quite a bit in the month of September. We have no idea how it would have turned out if they knew they had to have the best record to advance and kept playing their regulars until the bitter end.

HometownHero
10-17-2012, 12:30 AM

Then the guys who replace them does just as good or better than the guy he replaced regardless of talent level, so when the previous guy comes back they have new found depth from guys who they had no plans on using at the current time.

dubc47834
10-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Your contention that the Reds would not have gotten into the playoffs under the old system because they did not have the best record in the NL is speculative at best. They had a huge lead and rested players quite a bit in the month of September. We have no idea how it would have turned out if they knew they had to have the best record to advance and kept playing their regulars until the bitter end.

From what I understood they were trying to get the best record. He has a point, these are the rules and we have to live with them. One day we will be that wild card team and like he said we aren't going to just say Hey, we shouldn't be here, this is a gimmick. I happen to like the new rules, it give more teams(without being too many) a shot. I think this should be it as far a how many team are in the playoffs. They just need to work on the format, which it sounds like they have for next year. Im not hating on the Cards because of how they got in, I hate on them because they are our arch enemy....lol!!!

HometownHero
10-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Then the guys who replace them does just as good or better than the guy he replaced regardless of talent level

Matt Carpenter says hello

Salukifan2
10-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Matt Carpenter says hello

You guys could use Matt Carpenter. There is no spot available for him in St. Louis and cincy needs a third baseman. Carpenter will develop more power and he will be at least a .290 major league hitter. He will also bring good playoff experience.

alett12
10-18-2012, 12:01 PM
You guys could use Matt Carpenter. There is no spot available for him in St. Louis and cincy needs a third baseman. Carpenter will develop more power and he will be at least a .290 major league hitter. He will also bring good playoff experience.

Not really. Todd Frazier, Henry Rodriguez, or maybe Cozart at 3rd and Gergorious at SS. Carpenter is a left handed version of Frazier. And No Votto shouldn't get treated the same way. Rolen was coming off of shoulder surgery and was having back problems. Votto just needs to keep working out this winter.

Captain13
10-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Even before the surgery I remember hearing "Votto always goes on a tear after a day off" several times. I don't think the Rolen treatment is necessary, but maybe every other Sunday off. I think 145 games is plenty, give the guy 15 games throughout the season.