PDA

View Full Version : Why couldn't Marty Breneman manage the reds?

RedTruck
10-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Just a general question.

I know most managers are former players in some facet. But at the end of the day why can't people manage a team who have vast knowledge of the game and the team?

For example, marty? Ignore the age issue for a second...Everytime I hear him broadcasting, and critizing the reds he always seems spot on with what dusty does in terms of negatives (i:e leaving leake to long).

Marty loves the reds, and would obviously coach with vigor and passion. He knows the team like the back of his hand from all of his broadcasting, and knows the game of baseball akin to any manager currently coaching.

So why does it seem so taboo, so out of left field, to have a outside guy like someone from the broadcasting team (in this case marty) be a manager?

R_Webb18
10-14-2012, 07:41 PM
the same reason i can't

RedTruck
10-14-2012, 07:47 PM
the same reason i can't

I know, but I'm wondering why?

Why is there a special unwritten rule saying you have to be a former player?

If you have the knowledge about baseball, if you have the knowledge about every inch of your team, if you have the drive and commitment, why does it seem so strange?

Because what does a manager do that's so special?

Make the lineup cards?
Substitute players during the game?
Argue certain calls?
Bench his players?
Making pitching choices?

I just don't see the special requirement needed angle, that requires a manager and his specific knowledge in order to coach.

Instead we see coaches get 8 Million dollar salaries, and coach without any logic at times, and no passion or drive. Seems like a waste of money imo.

RedTruck
10-14-2012, 08:28 PM
i guess nobody knows either:laugh:

foxfire123
10-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Same reason that 99.999% of us here couldn't--we can talk it, but not many can actually DO. Armchair managers, that's us.... :D

Ironman92
10-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Who?

DocRed
10-14-2012, 08:43 PM
I know, but I'm wondering why?

Why is there a special unwritten rule saying you have to be a former player?

If you have the knowledge about baseball, if you have the knowledge about every inch of your team, if you have the drive and commitment, why does it seem so strange?

Because what does a manager do that's so special?

Make the lineup cards?
Substitute players during the game?
Argue certain calls?
Bench his players?
Making pitching choices?

I just don't see the special requirement needed angle, that requires a manager and his specific knowledge in order to coach.

Instead we see coaches get 8 Million dollar salaries, and coach without any logic at times, and no passion or drive. Seems like a waste of money imo.

There is no rule and I am sure there are many managers who never played before. But you also have to cut your teeth at a much lower level before you would get promoted to a higher level just like in any business unless there is some type of nepotism involved.

LIST OF MANAGERS WHO NEVER PLAYED
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/mgrnon.shtml

Ironman92
10-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Ted Turner did well.

RedTruck
10-14-2012, 08:57 PM
There is no rule and I am sure there are many managers who never played before. But you also have to cut your teeth at a much lower level before you would get promoted to a higher level just like in any business unless there is some type of nepotism involved.

is that a list of players who never played minor league baseball either? or just major league?

redsrolen
10-14-2012, 08:58 PM

Except Matheny who has only managed 'little league' until this yr...:confused:

Calten
10-14-2012, 09:02 PM
I think another part of it, is that the manager needs to get buy in from the team. Why would they respect someone who has really no idea what it's like to stand in against a fast ball coming at them, or 50,000 people screaming while it's happening.

We all saw what happened with the Red Sox this year. That was a disaster.

JayStubbs
10-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Padres hired announcer Jerry Coleman in 1980. Didn't work too well. He went back to announcing the next year and still is.

Mastodon
10-14-2012, 09:33 PM
There is also a lot more to managing than just game time decisions. It's an extremely stressful job that will have a manager burning the midnight oil throughout the season.

Krawhitham
10-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Just a general question.

I know most managers are former players in some facet. But at the end of the day why can't people manage a team who have vast knowledge of the game and the team?

For example, marty? Ignore the age issue for a second...Everytime I hear him broadcasting, and critizing the reds he always seems spot on with what dusty does in terms of negatives (i:e leaving leake to long).

Marty loves the reds, and would obviously coach with vigor and passion. He knows the team like the back of his hand from all of his broadcasting, and knows the game of baseball akin to any manager currently coaching.

So why does it seem so taboo, so out of left field, to have a outside guy like someone from the broadcasting team (in this case marty) be a manager?

Players hate him
He does not even announce a full season anymore

TeamSelig
10-15-2012, 12:08 AM
You would need to garner tons of respect from your players. I'm not sure Marty has the expertise of baseball, as far as technique/skills go.