PDA

View Full Version : Playoff ratings down almost 20% down year over year

RedTruck
10-16-2012, 09:15 PM
either baseball is losing major popularity, or people aren't a fan of these matchups either.

Salukifan2
10-16-2012, 09:27 PM
gotta be the people the teams in it. Last years world series had the highest ratings of any world series ever i think. If i remember correctly something like 25 mil watched game 7

TSJ55
10-16-2012, 09:31 PM
gotta be the people the teams in it. Last years world series had the highest ratings of any world series ever i think. If i remember correctly something like 25 mil watched game 7

Do you think game 6 had anything to do with that? I mean, even with The Birds winning, it was still an incredible baseball game.

Salukifan2
10-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Im sure it did. But there were also alot of compelling stories on both sides

webbbj
10-16-2012, 10:22 PM
I think baseball just does a poor job of marketing its players on all teams.

Derek Jeter was a legend from day 1 and is still probably the most popular player in baseball. I think thats a problem especially for a Yankee team w/ Robinson Cano on it.

We all knew Sosa and Griffey were the face of Pepsi.
Griffey had his own video game.

Mcgwire was Mcdonalds
Manny Ramirez and Big Papi were huge stars.

Now the general public is lost looking for the new stars.

I think trout and harper will take care of that. They are young phenoms coming up together on winning teams.

osuredleg24
10-16-2012, 10:31 PM
The times during the NL/ALDS were awful..games on the MLB Network, seriously?

redsfan80
10-16-2012, 11:20 PM
I heard someone say they couldn't watch the games in the NLCS so far because they cannot stand the announcing. (I know that is not a wide spread reason...but I thought it interesting.)

50YrRedsFan
10-16-2012, 11:27 PM
The times during the NL/ALDS were awful..games on the MLB Network, seriously?

Agreed, starting times have been bad, many working people have not been able to watch........probably the biggest reason for the drop in viewers.

50YrRedsFan
10-16-2012, 11:29 PM
Put the games back on free TV instead of pay TV...

BluegrassRedleg
10-16-2012, 11:46 PM
either baseball is losing major popularity, or people aren't a fan of these matchups either.

Both. This is an NFL country now. Only a few of us diehards remain for MLB.

redsfan80
10-17-2012, 12:06 AM
Recent studies have shown that there are not as many NFL fans as people like to think. NFL games seem to be an event with a lot of families. Usually the families not really even watching the games....an excuse to grill out or eat junk food...a reason to have family/friends over. There's only one game a week, so make a big deal about it, but really, there's less interest in the actual game of football than people think.

For example, many people watch the Super Bowl simply because in most social circles it's something you do. But very few people actually watch the game or even care about the game. The game is put on Sunday evening, most people are home...it's almost like Thanksgiving in February haha.

Baseball is an everyday grind type of sport. Many of these games are right smack in the middle of the day, so if you are going to watch the game on television, then you are really actually going to watch the game, and care about the game. America can't make every baseball game a big event like football. Some teams play close to 200 games in a year (ST and Playoffs combined.)

HometownHero
10-17-2012, 12:46 AM

No that Game 7 was the highest rated game since game 4 of the 2004 World Series, and the lowest game 7 rating in the modern TV era. Even with the high rated game's 6 and 7 the series got a average of 16.6M only 2010. 2008 and 2006 did worse. 2008 saw the Rays who have no fans in it.

Very good shot 2012 could challenge these lows if it doesn't get to a game 7. Since the Cards and Tigers had the 2006 series and in 2010 was the Giants, when the Giants went in 2002 it had the Angels in it from a massive market and it went 7 games to inflate the numbers.

PumpFak3First
10-17-2012, 02:14 AM
I really don't care that the Reds are out now. I'll watch because I'm a sports addict but the baseball season is just too long and grueling. They really need to address that and would have been better off adjusting that then doing this ridiculous wild card playoff they are now running with. It's crap. Also the game is slow and in this day in age people will get bored with it and change the channel. Some players play entirely too slow either at the plate or pitching. Baseball needs to figure out a way to keep the pace of the game moving. I can't tell you how many times in this playoffs batters, catchers, and umps have called for time or pitchers have stepped off the rubber.

Maker_84
10-17-2012, 03:52 AM
Im in the minority but the NFL = boring. College Football and MLB are way better

Kcbuckeye22
10-17-2012, 07:48 AM
It's not free. That's the problem. Baseball is boring to most people, people aren't going to pay for boring. We have a crappy economy right now. People have ditched cable and satellite, and so have I. I only pay for MLB.TV and Netflix, which is way cheaper than cable. It's a crime I pay to watch baseball and pay more to watch the postseason.

MrRedLegger
10-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Do those ratings take into account all the viewers that are using the internet? (i.e., MLB TV) I have friends who subscribe just to watch their favorite team but since they've paid for it anyway they watch all baseball on it.

Baseball has lost a lot of popularity among kids as well. With spongebob, video games, cell phones, and boring soccer, baseball's always going to take a hit. It's a shame too. Baseball is such a great sport. It incorporates an immense amount of teamwork but still everyone gets their own chance at the plate. There are no whistles either, because the umpires are not referees. The game just plays. Incredible.

arkimadee
10-17-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm not helping the LCS ratings. I haven't watched a single at-bat since the Reds collapse. It still hurts too bad.

Bob Sheed
10-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Put the games back on free TV instead of pay TV...

This.

TBS and TNT?

Sorry, but no. I ditched cable years ago.

Still listen to Marty and the Cowboy though. :beerme:

RedTruck
10-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Baseball has lost a lot of popularity among kids as well. With spongebob, video games, cell phones, and boring soccer, baseball's always going to take a hit.

I know plenty of kids and adults who like spongebob, video games, use cellphones, and enjoy soccer, and still like baseball.

I think the general problem with baseball is that it's to long.

With NBA, NHL, the NFL things happen with every play. With baseball, you WAIT and WAIT, and WAIT for something to happen (like a homerun, or game tying triple).

It's a very dull sport to watch if you have no motivation behind a certain team.

Personally, MLB should shorten it's 162 game season. It's way to long..way to long. It should at least go down to 102. If not just 62. An the playoffs? Make the series shorter. It's just so boring to watch the slow killing of the Yankees by detroit with these 7 game series. Make it 3 games to keep it always decisive and interesting.

MLB can reform it's game in a lot of facets, but they are stubborn. An they will continue to see a hit as attendance in most mlb parks continues to slide down, and mlb ratings continue it's 10 year slide as well. It's a game that's still stuck in the previous early century and needs major reform imo, before it's to late.

texasdave
10-17-2012, 01:18 PM
I have no problem with the length of the season. But I do agree that each individual game is way, way too long IMO.

TSJ55
10-17-2012, 02:38 PM
I think the general problem with baseball is that it's to long.

With NBA, NHL, the NFL things happen with every play. With baseball, you WAIT and WAIT, and WAIT for something to happen (like a homerun, or game tying triple).

It's a very dull sport to watch if you have no motivation behind a certain team.

Personally, MLB should shorten it's 162 game season. It's way to long..way to long. It should at least go down to 102. If not just 62. An the playoffs? Make the series shorter. It's just so boring to watch the slow killing of the Yankees by detroit with these 7 game series. Make it 3 games to keep it always decisive and interesting.

"Baseball is dull for people with dull minds" - Red Barber (I think). That wasn't directed at you RedTruck since you obviously like baseball. I just think there are better alternatives than shortening the season and playoff series.

Do not give in to the "McDonalds Mind" (I want it NOW and I don't care how low quality it is as long as I don't have to wait or think) that has taken over America. It will lead nowhere good. The NBA is a total joke and I like the NFL but why would MLB even care to compete with that? It's like comparing apples to parking meters. The NFL is nothing more than a souless business and football players are a dying breed, figuratively and literally. I truly believe the football as we know it has a short shelf life ahead of it.

Eric from NC
10-17-2012, 06:10 PM
I think it depends on the calendar more than anything else. According to the USA Today, last weekend's ratings were up substantially from the year before. The Saturday game beat most of the college football. I think it depends on which day of the week & game start time. The NFL kills everything, but I think that has much more do with gambling than anything else.

cinredsfan2000
10-17-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm not helping the LCS ratings. I haven't watched a single at-bat since the Reds collapse.
Same here
maybe if the tigers sweep the yankees i'll watch some of the series otherv than that ive checked out until spring training.:alcohol::alcohol::alcohol::alcohol::alco hol::D

redsfan80
10-17-2012, 11:18 PM
This doesn't apply directly to this thread's topic...but indirectly.

2012's attendance for MLB was the 5th highest in the history of Major League Baseball.

For what that's worth.

ProfessorTofty
10-21-2012, 10:19 PM
If there's a game seven tomorrow, and that looks very likely at this point, I really like its chances as an alternative programing choice against wall-to-wall coverage of the final Obama/Romney debate.

BungleBengals
10-23-2012, 10:09 AM
While I do not condone it, I think the Steroids Era is the reason why the MLB is one its ratings slide. Think about it, seeing juiced up players jacking balls over the fence will definitely draw ratings. Plus the Sosa and McGuire chase was fun too, as well as seeing Barry Bonds knock 73 in one season. All of that drew a lot of people to watch and go to games.

Nowadays, you have a league that is run a lot by pitching. There are a lot of lower scoring games which is boring to a lot of fans who would rather watch Aaron Rodgers throw 6 TDs in a game.

I think the MLB can get more ratings by simply increasing offensive output in the league. Different balls plus closer walls would make any fan stayed tuned in any AB because there is a better chance it could sail over the fences. I am not saying to completely abandon defense like the NFL has, but simpy give the batters a better chance to score more runs and fans will definitely be drawn to the game again.

scott91575
10-24-2012, 06:53 AM
I didn't read the whole thread, but baseball is becoming insanely regional (sorry if already mentioned).

People root for their team, and when they are out they move on to another sport. In the old days before every game was televised, people would tune into the weekend national broadcast. They would follow not only their team, but just to get any baseball they would watch what they could get. Then come playoffs they would get to see a bunch of games on tv. With pretty much every team in every market showing every game, people get more than their fill of baseball from just their local team. They don't tune into the national broadcasts because they would rather watch their local broadcast and their local team. So their interest in other teams is low, and by the time the playoffs roll around they have had their fill of baseball unless their team is in it.

It's simply been getting worse and worse as the years go by. Overall, baseball revenue is outpacing inflation. So the game as a whole is actually growing. Yet things like playoffs are simply not because it's become all about your team, not the game.

On top of that, football is just getting to be insanely popular. Playoffs are in the middle of the college and NFL season.

VPI97
10-24-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm not helping the LCS ratings. I haven't watched a single at-bat since the Reds collapse. It still hurts too bad.

I'm the same, but that's no surprise. I watched 120+ Reds games this season and other that tuning in to see no hitter opportunities, etc, I didn't watch a single game not involving Cincinnati. I wonder if that's the case with most people/fanbases. Tune in for your team, not necessarily for the sport.

Jdattilo
10-24-2012, 12:39 PM
I agree that the regular season is too long. It should end on Labor Day.

TSJ55
10-24-2012, 03:29 PM
I agree that the regular season is too long. It should end on Labor Day.

No. Baseball should be on 365 days a year. Other than The Walking Dead there is no other reason to own a television. :thumbup: I can go to the bar on Sundays to watch NFL games and I've made it clear that the NBA is a non-sport in my world. NCAA basketball could also be seen in a social setting when the tournament starts.

Falcon7
10-25-2012, 12:04 AM
My 17 year old has played baseball since he was 6 and play's HS BaseBall now, besides the Reds players, I doubt he could name 5 other MLB players, but he could name a ton of NBA or NFL players.

TSJ55
10-25-2012, 06:30 AM
My 17 year old has played baseball since he was 6 and play's HS BaseBall now, besides the Reds players, I doubt he could name 5 other MLB players, but he could name a ton of NBA or NFL players.

The NFL as, as mentioned, is an outlier and it's popularity will not be surpassed any time soon. No need to address that.

The NBA is star driven game and they market their players as individuals and do everything they can to have a clear cut "face" for each team. These chosen players repsonsible for the majority of their revenue and appear on all the promos, ads, and ESPN. These guys also will get the benefit of the doubt on calls so they will score more points, not foul out, not be injured, on and on.

Baseball is a legit team game. It has a few players that really stand out from the rest of the league (Jeter, Pujols, etc...) but the story lines usually revolve around entire teams.