PDA

View Full Version : Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city

*BaseClogger*
10-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Kendrick Lamar's new album was officially released today and is about to go HUGE. Anybody else heard it yet?

Bob Sheed
10-22-2012, 02:46 PM
"No, It's Headley!!!"

http://digitaljournal.com/img/2/1/0/8/2/9/i/4/0/5/o/HK_RIP.jpg

MilotheMayor
10-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Definitely up there with Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music as best 'conventional' hip-hop album of the year. I'm a bit partial to Death Grips' two 2012 LPs but they're more akin to industrial music than rap.

edit: ok, after another listen, this is probably in a class of its own for 2012 hip-hop

*BaseClogger*
10-23-2012, 09:06 AM
I think this one is my favorite from the regular release (the songs included on the delux edition are outstanding):

Kendrick Lamar - Backseat Freestyle (Dirty/CDQ) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSX2oGUNgN8)

camisadelgolf
10-24-2012, 04:19 AM
I decided to give it a shot. You were so right, *BC*. This is awesome.

*BaseClogger*
10-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Now I'm stuck on 'good kid'. Everytime I listen I have a new favorite track. There's just so much to digest, I don't think I'll fully appreciate it for a while...

MilotheMayor
10-24-2012, 12:53 PM
This is going down with the It Takes a Nation...., Illmatic, The Blueprint, etc. as one of the great all-time hip-hop albums. Instant classic.

camisadelgolf
10-24-2012, 02:44 PM
This is going down with the It Takes a Nation...., Illmatic, The Blueprint, etc. as one of the great all-time hip-hop albums. Instant classic.
Whoa, there . . . I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but you might be getting ahead of yourself. This deserves consideration for that sort of praise, but I think it's too soon to throw it in with that group.

Wonderful Monds
10-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Listened to it today. I think it's alright - I don't get all the massive praise for it yet though. Seems like Kendrick's style is just run of the mill modern rap to me, plus he's just a little bit "goofy" for my taste.

*BaseClogger*
10-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Listened to it today. I think it's alright - I don't get all the massive praise for it yet though. Seems like Kendrick's style is just run of the mill modern rap to me, plus he's just a little bit "goofy" for my taste.

I think the concept album is a lot more ambitious than run-of-the-mill modern hip-hop, and he is an extraordinarily talented rapper. There certainly has been a lot of hype though...

MilotheMayor
10-25-2012, 03:56 PM
honestly I get a lot of Aquemini, West Coast Outkast vibes from this record

the long melodic intros. the distorted voices. the unconventional flows. the instrumentation. the story telling.

no way this is at the same level to run of the mill modern rap. the only equivalent hip-hop album of this degree of ambition from the last several years is probably Kanye's MBDTF

WDE
10-25-2012, 05:29 PM
I love Kendrick Lamar, and this albums just furthers my love for him. I am a huge fan of rap, so I really appreciate how great this album is.

dougdirt
10-25-2012, 11:43 PM
I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but he was on Conan earlier this week and I loved the song he performed.

BillDoran
10-27-2012, 10:32 AM

Agree with this quote. Something about the album just feels momentous.