PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Has Officially Begun

50YrRedsFan
10-28-2012, 11:59 PM
So do we go after any free agents? We NEED offensive help and a couple more bullpen arms. I am not comfortable with Arredondo, and you don't know what Bray or Masset will do.

HometownHero
10-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Still have 6 more days before FA can sign with new teams.

dMaus14
10-29-2012, 12:36 AM
NO FA! I would like to trade for either Gerrardo Parra or Justin Upton. I stand by this statement when I say if it takes Billy Hamilton to get Justin Upton then we give up Billy Hamilton. I think we can add to the package and possibly bring back a pitching prospect as well I like the depth in our position prospects. I would look at giving up Masset or Bray to LAA for Bourjos. They need RP and we need a cheap leadoff type OF.

tedies
10-29-2012, 07:34 AM
NO FA! I would like to trade for either Gerrardo Parra or Justin Upton. I stand by this statement when I say if it takes Billy Hamilton to get Justin Upton then we give up Billy Hamilton. I think we can add to the package and possibly bring back a pitching prospect as well I like the depth in our position prospects. I would look at giving up Masset or Bray to LAA for Bourjos. They need RP and we need a cheap leadoff type OF.
Upton is extremely overrated and has the same problem as everyone else on our team, not clutch at all

dubc47834
10-29-2012, 08:00 AM

You do not trade 1 of your best prospects for basically Drew Stubbs!!! Thats who Upton reminds me of, but with more power and little less speed.

dMaus14
10-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Really? Higher priced Drew Stubbs?There were two Reds hitters with a better average and two Reds hitters with a better OBP. He was top 5 MVP voting in 2011. He's young and controlled for 3 more years.

storer50
10-29-2012, 03:23 PM
I pick up Angel Pagan asap

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

MoneyInTheBank
10-29-2012, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't trade Hamilton for Justin Upton but comparing Upton to Stubbs is a bit much. His BA was nearly 70 points higher, OBP was nearly 80 points higher, his OPS 175 points higher, walked more, struck out less.

In fact, you could argue Stubbs was the worst hitter in baseball that got enough ABs to qualify for the batting title

JayBruceFan
10-30-2012, 12:16 AM
It might sound crazy and I know we have Hanigan and Mesoraco but I wouldn't mind seeing AJ Pierzynski in a Reds uniform next year.

Anybody else with me?

Spider Tre
10-30-2012, 07:56 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/2013-mlb-free-agents.html

wouldn't mind having Michael Bourn
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bournmi01.shtml

expensive (compare $527K to nearly $7M) and older (30 in December) but an upgrade over Stubbs

The_Mudshark
10-30-2012, 09:28 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/2013-mlb-free-agents.html

wouldn't mind having Michael Bourn
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bournmi01.shtml

expensive (compare $527K to nearly $7M) and older (30 in December) but an upgrade over Stubbs

I agree on Bourn.

TONS of good SP out there in 2013. I know the Reds have bigger needs this off season, but damn... Look at the potential free agent SP's out there and hypothetically insert them as you wish into our existing rotation without Leake. You can make some nasty rotations.... My favorite is Cueto, Latos, Dickey, Bailey, Arroyo - Shut up, I can dream....

texasdave
10-30-2012, 10:16 AM
I think the Reds starting day lineup will be the same lineup that ended the 2012 season, replacing Rolen with Frazier.

Phillips
Cozart
Votto
Ludwick
Bruce
Frazier
Hanigan
Stubbs (Unfortunately, the 8-hole defines my game)
Cueto

foxfire123
11-01-2012, 09:36 PM
FoxSports is predicting Bourn to Cincinnati.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/lists/top-2013-free-agents-josh-hamilton-zack-greinke-110112#tab=photo-title=Michael+Bourn&photo=31401039

And Hamilton to Atlanta.

RedsBrick
11-01-2012, 10:25 PM
I pick up Angel Pagan asap

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Would probably be a good pick up, but I can't stand that guy!

RedsBrick
11-01-2012, 10:29 PM
I think the Reds starting day lineup will be the same lineup that ended the 2012 season, replacing Rolen with Frazier.

Phillips
Cozart
Votto
Ludwick
Bruce
Frazier
Hanigan
Stubbs (Unfortunately, the 8-hole defines my game)
Cueto

Gotta get Phillips out of the 1 in my opinion. He's shown he can do it but I think he's better suited elsewhere. Not saying it will happen, I just think it should.

MoneyInTheBank
11-02-2012, 06:10 AM
FoxSports is predicting Bourn to Cincinnati.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/lists/top-2013-free-agents-josh-hamilton-zack-greinke-110112#tab=photo-title=Michael+Bourn&photo=31401039

And Hamilton to Atlanta.

You are just the messenger, so don't take this the wrong way but I don't see how the Reds could sign Bourn. The early projections are in the range of a 5 year deal worth $80M. With all the arbitration raises, that would push the payroll well above the $100M mark. Unless they are sitting on a goldmine that we don't know about, I don't see how that's possible. I guess if he's still sitting around in Jan/Feb, I could see them fitting him in on a 1 year, $10M contract.

scott91575
11-02-2012, 09:07 AM
You are just the messenger, so don't take this the wrong way but I don't see how the Reds could sign Bourn. The early projections are in the range of a 5 year deal worth $80M. With all the arbitration raises, that would push the payroll well above the $100M mark. Unless they are sitting on a goldmine that we don't know about, I don't see how that's possible. I guess if he's still sitting around in Jan/Feb, I could see them fitting him in on a 1 year, $10M contract.

There is no way he is sitting around and willing to take that type of contract. I am sure there are teams that have no idea of his value, but most know he is one of the better centerfielders in the game. I would kill to see him with the Reds, but I don't think the money will be there. Hope I am wrong.

Salukifan2
11-02-2012, 10:15 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1285588-cincinnati-reds-club-payroll-due-to-skyrocket-in-2013

after reading this i don't see how the reds can go after any free agents unless they find a way to shed some payroll through trades. Michael Bourn especially appears to be out of the reds price range.

MoneyInTheBank
11-02-2012, 11:53 AM
There is no way he is sitting around and willing to take that type of contract. I am sure there are teams that have no idea of his value, but most know he is one of the better centerfielders in the game. I would kill to see him with the Reds, but I don't think the money will be there. Hope I am wrong.

Nobody thought Madson would be sitting around that long either. I'm just saying, if he is unable to land a gig and all of the other CF holes seem to be filled (I agree, this is unlikely), I think the Reds could find it in the budget to give him a contract like Madson got.

foxfire123
11-02-2012, 09:02 PM

No offense. :) I believe about 10% of what Fox Sports predicts. :lol: It would be nice, but I'm more inclined to got for a bit of a lesser utility type player, and see how Billy Hamilton does if they invite him to ST.

But... Castellini HAS said in the past the money is there for the right players..... ;)

MoneyInTheBank
11-02-2012, 09:57 PM
No offense. :) I believe about 10% of what Fox Sports predicts. :lol: It would be nice, but I'm more inclined to got for a bit of a lesser utility type player, and see how Billy Hamilton does if they invite him to ST.

But... Castellini HAS said in the past the money is there for the right players..... ;)

I'm with you there. If we do get him, I won't be complaining

dMaus14
11-03-2012, 06:25 PM
What about a back up infielder of Brandon Inge?

DocRed
11-03-2012, 09:15 PM
I don't care who plays CF as long as it isn't Mendoza Line Stubbs..

MoneyInTheBank
11-04-2012, 05:53 AM
What about a back up infielder of Brandon Inge?

The way he has hit the last couple years, I'd rather give Henry Rodriguez a shot at backing up 2nd and 3rd

evolveath
11-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Thoughts on Delmon Young for LF if we dont resign Ludwick? He's not even on MLBTR's top 50 free agents this offseason and might be affordable. I know theres always been character issues with him but hes still just 27.

dMaus14
11-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Did you see him in LF during the WS? No thanks

scott91575
11-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Nobody thought Madson would be sitting around that long either. I'm just saying, if he is unable to land a gig and all of the other CF holes seem to be filled (I agree, this is unlikely), I think the Reds could find it in the budget to give him a contract like Madson got.

HUUUUUGE difference between a closer who only closed for 1 year and a guy who has been one of the better centerfielders in baseball for the last 4 years.

MoneyInTheBank
11-04-2012, 06:01 PM
HUUUUUGE difference between a closer who only closed for 1 year and a guy who has been one of the better centerfielders in baseball for the last 4 years.

Again, I have repeatedly said this is unlikely. However, he's a Scott Boras client (like Edwin Jackson, Ryan Madson, Adrian Beltre, etc.) and Boras advises guys who can't get the contract they want to sign a 1 year contract and try again the next season. Again, unlikely, but I think it would be a bit short sighted to dismiss it completely