PDA

View Full Version : Cringe-Worthy Music

camisadelgolf
10-29-2012, 04:40 AM
Over the years, I've heard a lot of bad music. What's some music that makes you cringe?
http://youtu.be/ItMJtA8vfpw

nismoredlegs
10-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Dub Step and any pop music played on 94.1, B105 or any so called "country" station. Besided that my music palate is pretty broad.

cinredsfan2000
10-29-2012, 03:10 PM
country music in general old new don't matter with very few exceptions. POP music,electronic/dance /techno how is it considered music ? It's pretty much computer generated noise to me . NOW get off my lawn!!!:laugh::thumbup:

dougdirt
10-29-2012, 07:50 PM
99% of the time, anything involving an acoustic guitar. HATE IT.

Revering4Blue
10-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Over the years, I've heard a lot of bad music. What's some music that makes you cringe?

As a rule, j ust about anything monotone or Rap-like.

IMO, that stuff makes "Afternoon Delight" or "Feelings" sound appealing.

That stated, here is my candidate for worst song ever. Even though it was a big hit, IMO, it really reeks. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhQWND9jKDA

Spazzrico
10-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Lee Greenwood: God Bless the USA

Cheesiest. Song. Ever.

Wonderful Monds
10-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Most of what is played during sporting events, and in advertisements that run during sport events.

marcshoe
10-29-2012, 10:11 PM
As a rule, j ust about anything monotone or Rap-like.

IMO, that stuff makes "Afternoon Delight" or "Feelings" sound appealing.

That stated, here is my candidate for worst song ever. Even though it was a big hit, IMO, it really reeks. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhQWND9jKDA

I'm sorry, but that song doesn't exist. I've obliterated it from my cosmos.

Tom Servo
10-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Train.

*BaseClogger*
10-30-2012, 12:58 AM
Can I still love 'Meet Virginia'?

JayBruceFan
10-30-2012, 01:38 AM

WTH? :confused:

Larry Schuler
10-30-2012, 03:21 AM
tUnE-yArDz is/are the worst.

Wonderful Monds
10-30-2012, 04:51 AM
tUnE-yArDz is/are the worst.

Yes.

camisadelgolf
10-30-2012, 04:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF2o5RDkq9A

Betterread
10-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Taylor Swift's new opus - we are never, ever, getting back together is the most annoying song i have heard since the last Keisha song. It gets extra cringe points for a line that slags indie music, and extra credit cringe on top of that for her expressing that the relationship in the song is "exhausting".
No, Taylor, what's exhausting is hearing this talentless, lame song being played everywhere.

dougdirt
10-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Taylor Swift's new opus - we are never, ever, getting back together is the most annoying song i have heard since the last Keisha song. It gets extra cringe points for a line that slags indie music, and extra credit cringe on top of that for her expressing that the relationship in the song is "exhausting".
No, Taylor, what's exhausting is hearing this talentless, lame song being played everywhere.

I like it. Judge away. :laugh:

Larry Schuler
10-30-2012, 09:43 PM
I've only heard it twice but I have to echo Doug and say the new Swift single is not my personal example of what is awful about pop or modern country. It isn't great but it's somewhat more inspired than her other singles I've heard.

Dom Heffner
10-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Rico Suave- just awful.

dougdirt
10-30-2012, 10:26 PM
I've only heard it twice but I have to echo Doug and say the new Swift single is not my personal example of what is awful about pop or modern country. It isn't great but it's somewhat more inspired than her other singles I've heard.

I like that she sounds awful P.O.'d in the song. I like that.

camisadelgolf
10-30-2012, 10:38 PM
I hate Taylor Swift's genre, but her music's great.

Dom Heffner
10-30-2012, 10:39 PM
I hate Taylor Swift's genre, but her music's great.

A terrific song writer.

vaticanplum
10-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Taylor Swift is THE WORST. I say this in complete seriousness: if i had a daughter, I would not let her listen to Taylor Swift.

Roy Tucker
10-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Taylor Swift is THE WORST. I say this in complete seriousness: if i had a daughter, I would not let her listen to Taylor Swift.

Good luck with controlling what your kids listen to. :)

dougdirt
10-31-2012, 12:07 AM

That would just make her listen to her more.

Danny Serafini
10-31-2012, 12:32 AM
It's hard to get more irritating than this garbage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ZbuIRPwFg

*BaseClogger*
10-31-2012, 11:14 AM
I like it. Judge away. :laugh:

Really identify with those lyrics, do ya?

*BaseClogger*
10-31-2012, 11:16 AM

This is how you get your children to not like something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq_UmKyPRl0

RichRed
10-31-2012, 01:49 PM
This is going back several years, but one of the worst pop songs ever perpetrated on the radio-listening public was "I Can't Dance" by Genesis. I'd almost be willing to bet it causes seizures.

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Maybe my sarcasm detector is broken but was Taylor Swift really called a good song writer in this thread?

camisadelgolf
10-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Maybe my sarcasm detector is broken but was Taylor Swift really called a good song writer in this thread?
Yup. I've heard three of her albums now, and they're all quality. I'm sure she's had a lot of help from producers, but whatever she's doing, it's working.

*BaseClogger*
10-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Yup. I've heard three of her albums now, and they're all quality. I'm sure she's had a lot of help from producers, but whatever she's doing, it's working.

So if it sells then it's working?

*BaseClogger*
10-31-2012, 03:03 PM
http://updates.deadspin.com/post/34701719969/deadspin-classic-the-haters-guide-to-taylor-swift?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I don’t understand all the fuss. Taylor Swift makes training-bra music. Her **** is one step removed from a Fisher Price Little People CD. Every record she sells should come with a complimentary pack of Spree. If you’re over fourteen, you shouldn’t want anything to do with it.

More at the link! :D

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 03:09 PM

She's terrific.

As a songwriter- just fantastic.

I'm not comparing her to Mozart; but if you're going to hold up the authors of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" as the best of all time, well.....lol

Anyhoo- she's fantastic as a writer. Sure there's some crap. But for someone that young, it isn't just I love, you love me stuff.

She isn't going to win over the Dinosaur Jr or Pavement crowd...but if you lisiten to pop music for melody, you'd be hard pressed to find someone as good.

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 03:09 PM
http://updates.deadspin.com/post/34701719969/deadspin-classic-the-haters-guide-to-taylor-swift?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

More at the link! :D
YES! LOL

The bit about her lyrics pretty much nails it.

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 03:11 PM
She's terrific.

As a songwriter- just fantastic.

I'm not comparing her to Mozart; but if you're going to hold up the authors of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" as the best of all time, well.....lol

Anyhoo- she's fantastic as a writer. Sure there's some crap. But for someone that young, it isn't just I love, you love me stuff.

She isn't going to win over the Dinosaur Jr or Pavement crowd...but if you lisiten to pop music for melody, you'd be hard pressed to find someone as good.

I love melody - and her's are about as generic as they come. I don't understand, she's literally not doing anything different than the rest of mainstream artists.

And that's the thing, there is some crap sure, it's mostly ALL crap though! It's stuff a 16 year old girl would write in her notebook during class.

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 03:12 PM

In a way, sure.

*BaseClogger*
10-31-2012, 03:15 PM
In a way, sure.

I've never associated quality with sales. Ever seen the part of a McDonalds sign that lists how many humburgers they've served?

Revering4Blue
10-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Another crummy 80's Pop song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9cNtrrCP0E

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 03:17 PM
I love melody - and her's are about as generic as they come. I don't understand, she's literally not doing anything different than the rest of mainstream artists.

And that's the thing, there is some crap sure, it's mostly ALL crap though! It's stuff a 16 year old girl would write in her notebook during class.

She sold 1.2 million albums this week. Albums.

No, no other mainstream artists are doing that.

Believe me, I LOVE kicking artists* but her melodies are top notch- for a teenager/twenty something, they are as good as it gets. Again, you may not like that genre, and I get it. I'm not a country fan, but she isn't just run of the mill. Having said that, the Never ever getting back together song is terrible, but I don't think she wrote that...

*Radiohead

Revering4Blue
10-31-2012, 03:21 PM
This is going back several years, but one of the worst pop songs ever perpetrated on the radio-listening public was "I Can't Dance" by Genesis. I'd almost be willing to bet it causes seizures.

Not their best work by a long shot, but, IMHO, not their worst.

"Invisible Touch" was a sell-out tune if there ever was one. The sappy "In Too Deep" didn't do anything for me, either.

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 03:22 PM
She sold 1.2 million albums this week. Albums.

No, no other mainstream artists are doing that.

Believe me, I LOVE kicking artists* but her melodies are top notch- for a teenager/twenty something, they are as good as it gets. Again, you may not like that genre, and I get it. I'm not a country fan, but she isn't just run of the mill. Having said that, the Never ever getting back together song is terrible, but I don't think she wrote that...

*Radiohead

Who gives a flying damn how many records she sold? That has nothing to do even remotely with the quality of the music, it just means her label has a good marketing department.

She is completely and utterly run of the mill. Her melodies are quite literally nothing, no different than something say, Katy Perry would write. And for an example, not even a hundredth as good as someone like, say, Radiohead's

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 03:23 PM
I've never associated quality with sales. Ever seen the part of a McDonalds sign that lists how many humburgers they've served?

Elvis has sold a billion worldwide. So he's no good because McDonald's sells alot of crappy hamburgers?

In all seriousness, McDonald's has a fantastic product. They couldn't sell that many if they didn't.

I see your point, though and I would offer you this: Macarena and Rico Suave sold a ton. Doesn't mean they are good, correct.

But Taylor Swift just doesn't sell a lot of albums. She sells a record number of albums and she does it time after time.

camisadelgolf
10-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Oh, great. When it comes to Taylor Swift, the Radiohead hater has my back. Maybe I should reconsider. :D

But seriously, Taylor Swift is a fantastic pop artist. You might not like the style, but in her style, she's amazing regardless of how many albums she sells.

Revering4Blue
10-31-2012, 03:25 PM
If I had a daughter, I'd rather have her listen to Taylor Swift than listen to Katy Perry.

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Elvis has sold a billion worldwide. So he's no good because McDonald's sells alot of crappy hamburgers?

In all seriousness, McDonald's has a fantastic product. They couldn't sell that many if they didn't.

I see your point, though and I would offer you this: Macarena and Rico Suave sold a ton. Doesn't mean they are good, correct.

But Taylor Swift just doesn't sell a lot of albums. She sells a record number of albums and she does it time after time.

Congrats to Universal Music for having a good marketing division and to whoever developed her image - they did a great job?

Taylor Swift herself? Not so much.

camisadelgolf
10-31-2012, 03:27 PM
If I had a daughter, I'd rather have her listen to Taylor Swift than listen to Katy Perry.
What about a son?

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Oh, great. When it comes to Taylor Swift, the Radiohead hater has my back. Maybe I should reconsider. :D

But seriously, Taylor Swift is a fantastic pop artist. You might not like the style, but in her style, she's amazing regardless of how many albums she sells.

I don't really care what style she is, nothing about Taylor Swift is amazing, lol.

Captain13
10-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Taylor Swift is a singer-songwriter of pop-music. Although she got her start on country radio, she is a pop artist. Her songs are better than that of her contemporaries (Katie Perry, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha). They are catchy and fun. Will she ever be confused with Radiohead or John Prine or Neil Young...no, but I prefer her to Karen Carpenter, Madonna, Bread and a thousand other pop artists. My daughter loves Taylor Swift, and I am OK with that. I would prefer her to love classic rock, but Taylor Swift will have to do.

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Congrats to Universal Music for having a good marketing division and to whoever developed her image - they did a great job?

Taylor Swift herself? Not so much.

Now you are arguing she sells music because of her marketing. Please.

Well gosh, I guess if Pavement had the Beatles marketing, they'd sell as much.

It's tough to argue with the record store guy. Only he knows what is real.

You worked at Camelot in Eastgate Mall I think. You had the orange hair and the Husker Du t-shirt. Huey Lewis was garbage but man, Frozen Ghost rocked. I know you.

Revering4Blue
10-31-2012, 03:34 PM
What about a son?

Well, I can't really play the speculative stereotype card. Who knows? The son may prefer bubble gum pop. The daughter may prefer Rock.

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Now you are arguing she sells music because of her marketing. Please.

Well gosh, I guess if Pavement had the Beatles marketing, they'd sell as much.

It's tough to argue with the record store guy. Only he knows what is real.

You worked at Camelot in Eastgate Mall I think. You had the orange hair and the Husker Du t-shirt. Huey Lewis was garbage but man, Frozen Ghost rocked. I know you.

Are you serious!

Yeah, Taylor Swift sells so many records because she's THAT much better than every other artist. It's not because she's appealing to teenage girls, because I can't even order a Papa Johns pizza without her face plastered on the box, because you generally can't get away from her at all.

It's because she's the BEST artist of this generation. It's gotta be right?

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Are you serious!

Yeah, Taylor Swift sells so many records because she's THAT much better than every other artist. It's not because she's appealing to teenage girls, because I can't even order a Papa Johns pizza without her face plastered on the box, because you generally can't get away from her at all.

People buy stuff because they like it.

And people really, really, like Taylor Swift.

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 03:39 PM
People buy stuff because they like it.

That statement pretty conveniently avoids all the evidence I just provided to the contrary.

Revering4Blue
10-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Taylor Swift is a singer-songwriter of pop-music. Although she got her start on country radio, she is a pop artist. Her songs are better than that of her contemporaries (Katie Perry, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha). They are catchy and fun. Will she ever be confused with Radiohead or John Prine or Neil Young...no, but I prefer her to Karen Carpenter, Madonna, Bread and a thousand other pop artists. My daughter loves Taylor Swift, and I am OK with that. I would prefer her to love classic rock, but Taylor Swift will have to do.

I prefer the sound of nails on a chalkboard to the Carpenters or Bread.

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Are you serious!

A million without sales tricks: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/on-the-charts-taylor-swift-hits-a-million-without-sales-tricks-20121031

Rolling stone gave her last album four stars. I dunno...do they do that because of the pizza box?

It's neat to be the record store guy- hey, we've all done it. But to dismiss someone as crap when they are doing something that nobody else has done...and then to say it's only because her picture is on a pizza box. Was Eminem on a pizza box? Adele?

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 03:41 PM
And people really, really, like Taylor Swift.

They also really, really can't ever forget who Taylor Swift is, even if they want to.

I just so happen to think that what CDs my friend's little sisters are buying is a pretty poor barometer of quality.

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 03:42 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/on-the-charts-taylor-swift-hits-a-million-without-sales-tricks-20121031

Rolling stone gave her last album four stars. I dunno...do they do that becuase of the pizza box?

Who cares what Rolling Stone thinks?

Revering4Blue
10-31-2012, 03:44 PM
A Frozen Ghost reference..I love it.

texasdave
10-31-2012, 03:46 PM
A Frozen Ghost reference..I love it.

If we can just work Space Ghost into the conversation my life will be complete.

Just for the record, get it, I would rather listen to Taylor Swift than Pavement any day.

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Who cares what Rolling Stone thinks?

The point is she is a critical as well as commercial success.

Revering4Blue
10-31-2012, 03:50 PM

Just for the record, get it, I would rather listen to Taylor Swift than Pavement any day.

Happy to oblige, Dave.

The cello rock band Rasputina makes mention of Space Ghost in their song 'the Olde Headboard', which was the single off their 1998 sophomore album How We Quit the Forest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Ghost

Just to cover all bases, I'll mention "Space Cheese" by Space Ghost the band.

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 03:51 PM
The point is she is a critical as well as commercial success.

She's a success with Rolling Stone, a publication that hasn't been culturally relevant for a while now. And yeah Entertainment Weekly and other gossip mags that happen to review music too for some reason probably like it too.

That means a whole lot of nothing.

*BaseClogger*
10-31-2012, 03:52 PM

Fantastic? Maybe. Quality? I would strongly argue on the contrary.

I'm kind of torn. I see what you guys are saying. Pop music is all about the melody, and she certainly has lots of catchy songs. Most garbage pop songs are one-hit wonders that can't be sustained over time. She is beginning to prove she is much more than that.

Whether or not making pop music in an effort only to be catchy, connect with fans, and sell records is a noble cause is an entirely different topic. I don't see any artistic credibility in that.

So she's making quality pop music. I'm not gonna argue semantics over that...

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 03:53 PM
It's neat to be the record store guy- hey, we've all done it. But to dismiss someone as crap when they are doing something that nobody else has done...and then to say it's only because her picture is on a pizza box. Was Eminem on a pizza box? Adele?
Were they on pizza boxes specifically? Well no. But are you really going to deny that those are not two extremely heavily marketed artists as well?

*BaseClogger*
10-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Are we comparing Eminem to Taylor Swift?

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 03:56 PM

I actually like Pavement.

The problem with the Pavement/Dinosaur Jr crowd is that they would all declare it crap if they suddenly sold a million records.

Look what they did to REM. Successful? No thanks, we want to dye our hair black and sit in a corner and be depressed with Robert Smith, until he sells out and now we'll go cuddle with the latest secret band.

These dudes are all the same. It's about not being popular.

Am I getting everybody mad yet? LOL...Not trying. I just can't stand the degrading of good pop music. Taylor Swift isn't Gerardo, okay?

*BaseClogger*
10-31-2012, 03:58 PM

The problem with the Pavement/Dinosaur Jr crowd is that they would all declare it crap if they suddenly sold a million records.

Look what they did to REM. Successful? No thanks, we want to dye our hair black and sit in a corner and be depressed with Robert Smith, until he sells out and now we'll go cuddle with the latest secret band.

Am I getting everybody mad yet? LOL...Not trying. I just can't stand the degrading of good pop music. Taylor Swift isn't Gerardo, okay?

My two favorite bands are probably Dinosaur Jr. and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. There are plenty of people who don't fit into your cute stereotype. But hey, that's fun!

Spazzrico
10-31-2012, 03:59 PM

"Invisible Touch" was a sell-out tune if there ever was one. The sappy "In Too Deep" didn't do anything for me, either.

Patrick Bateman disagrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUytEXTdx9A

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 04:00 PM

I don't think that's fair. My favorite band is arguably the most popular band in the world. In fact, most of the music I listen to is pretty popular. (as an aside, I don't think many in the Pitchfork crowd, who I could probably be fairly described as one of them, realize all those bands are incredibly popular.)

REM was turned on because frankly they started to suck eventually. I'm just calling a spade a spade. Taylor Swift isn't bad because she's popular, she's bad because her music sucks and is fluff for teenage girls.

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 04:01 PM
I mean yeah I know who the record store guy is. I've met the guy who works in the basement at Shake It Records.

I think you might just be mistaken in characterizing a few of us as that guy, Dom.

Revering4Blue
10-31-2012, 04:05 PM
her music sucks and is fluff for teenage girls.

Poor music and fluff for teenage girls usually go hand-in-hand, don't they?;)

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Poor music and fluff for teenage girls usually go hand-in-hand, don't they?;)

Not always! Teenage girls don't like The Grateful Dead, for example, LOL.

Tom Servo
10-31-2012, 04:12 PM
Taylor Swift is okay. Harmless, inoffensive country pop.

Revering4Blue
10-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Not always! Teenage girls don't like The Grateful Dead, for example, LOL.

Do they like Radiohead? :D

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 04:19 PM
I don't think that's fair. My favorite band is arguably the most popular band in the world. In fact, most of the music I listen to is pretty popular. (as an aside, I don't think many in the Pitchfork crowd, who I could probably be fairly described as one of them, realize all those bands are incredibly popular.)

REM was turned on because frankly they started to suck eventually. I'm just calling a spade a spade. Taylor Swift isn't bad because she's popular, she's bad because her music sucks and is fluff for teenage girls.

Taylor Swift's music doesn't suck.

I realize it's about taste- but it isn't awful. It's not Rush, you know?

Revering4Blue
10-31-2012, 04:21 PM

Hey, them's fightin' words.

Gilpdawg sighting in 1..2..3...

Captain13
10-31-2012, 04:22 PM

Sure, her music is light and fluffy, it is also melodic and often tells a story. As someone alluded to a great portion of the Beatle catalogue was light teenage fluff; does this mean The Beatles suck, of course not.

Her music is growing and changing. Her songs don't all sound like "Teardrops on My Guitar" and "Tim McGraw" anymore. A perfect example is "We Will Never Ever Get Back Together". Personally I don't like it, but I am not going to shred a songwriter for trying to step out of her box, trying to do something different (except when KISS and Niel Young tried to add a disco sound, that sucked).

Patrick Bateman
10-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Patrick Bateman disagrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUytEXTdx9A

I can speak for myself thankyou.

But ya, what he said.

*BaseClogger*
10-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Now she's evolving... :lol:

camisadelgolf
10-31-2012, 04:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp9V2bpT1cI

Revering4Blue
10-31-2012, 04:28 PM
I can speak for myself thankyou.

But ya, what he said.

All kidding aside, the album itself contains some AOR gems--"Anything She Does" and "Domino-Parts I and II--but I don't care at all for the ones I previously mentioned.

*BaseClogger*
10-31-2012, 04:29 PM
camisa, is what you are posting really music?

Revering4Blue
10-31-2012, 04:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp9V2bpT1cI

Congratulations, you've actually posted something as bad as the two songs I posted.

I never even remotely thought that was possible.

camisadelgolf
10-31-2012, 04:35 PM
camisa, is what you are posting really music?
That's how they describe themselves. If you heard the music I play, you'd understand I'm not one to judge.

*BaseClogger*
10-31-2012, 04:37 PM
That's how they describe themselves. If you heard the music I play, you'd understand I'm not one to judge.

I really wanna go to one of your open-mics at Southgate House Revival haha...

medford
10-31-2012, 04:38 PM
sorry to interupt the Taylor Swift death duel, but back to the original topic (and if the question is, what kind of music makes you cringe, how can one argue what makes me cringe? how would they know?)

Most "deep" heavy metal, ie megadeath, slayor, pantera and a slew of others I've heard friends listen to in the past.

camisadelgolf
10-31-2012, 04:47 PM
I really wanna go to one of your open-mics at Southgate House Revival haha...
I hope some pictures show up from the last one. I was absolutely covered in blood. I also wore a hanger around my neck, but I won't specify what my costume was. Needless to say, I won the costume contest.

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Taylor Swift isn't bad because she's popular, she's bad because her music sucks and is fluff for teenage girls.

This is my favorite statement in the whole thread.

I don't like it, therefore the only reason it sells is because teenage girls buy fluff.

Really- so if that were true, I guess all teenage fluff records must sell a million in a week. Right.

Taylor Swift strikes a chord with her audience. Her combination of lyrics and melody move people. It is pop music with a little country thrown in.

It isn't Led Zeppelin, but for what it is, it's pretty good.

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 09:09 PM
All kidding aside, the album itself contains some AOR gems--"Anything She Does" and "Domino-Parts I and II--but I don't care at all for the ones I previously mentioned.

Invisible Touch is a great album. Solid all the way through...

cinredsfan2000
10-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Invisible Touch is a great album. Solid all the way through...
:eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::eek: :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
Go listen to A TRICK OF TAIL or The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and then tell me that Invisible Touch is good .invisible touch is a disgrace to the Genesis name

Degenerate39
10-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Has Lady Gaga been mentioned yet?

IslandRed
10-31-2012, 10:01 PM
All music is of a time, place and perspective. If it's not coming from YOUR time, place and perspective, you're less likely to like it. This is especially true when breaking down along gender lines; for the most part, men and women don't like exactly the same music or for the same reasons. That doesn't necessarily make either's music better or worse, it's just different.

Here's how to know something REALLY sucks: when the intended target audience doesn't like it. Otherwise, a little "each to our own" goes a long way.

marcshoe
10-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Yoko Ono.

btw I don't listen to Ms. Swift but I respect her. And her admirers include James Taylor and Springsteen. She's okay

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Yoko Ono.

btw I don't listen to Ms. Swift but I respect her. And her admirers include James Taylor and Springsteen. She's okay

Def Leppard, too (admirers of Swift).

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 11:20 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::eek: :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
Go listen to A TRICK OF TAIL or The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and then tell me that Invisible Touch is good .invisible touch is a disgrace to the Genesis name

I'm not one of those dudes who can't like something later in the catalog simply because something that came earlier was better.

5150 is a great album whether Diver Down was better or not.

I think Invisible Touch is a great record. Lamb may be better....it doesn't change anything.

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Has Lady Gaga been mentioned yet?

Is she cringe worthy? Again, another incredibly gifted writer and successful artist.

I think cringe worthy, I think "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades."

You guys are hating on Phil Collins and Lady Gaga. Those guys aren't cringe worthy- that's talent. That's success.

I know it pains people to like pop music, but I don't make apologies for thinking Rod Stewart is better than Pavement. He is.

*BaseClogger*
11-01-2012, 12:15 AM
I'm gonna start a thread about cringe-worthy standup comedians and then bring up Mitch Hedberg... :laugh:

texasdave
11-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Everyone should nominate a cringe-worthy video. We could separate them into categories and vote on them. My Cringie nominee would be this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIB2gxmFR-A

dougdirt
11-01-2012, 01:57 AM
Really identify with those lyrics, do ya?

Not so much. But, it is catchy as can be and I dig most of her music (pop versions, not so much the country versions).

dougdirt
11-01-2012, 02:00 AM
Who gives a flying damn how many records she sold? That has nothing to do even remotely with the quality of the music, it just means her label has a good marketing department.

She is completely and utterly run of the mill. Her melodies are quite literally nothing, no different than something say, Katy Perry would write. And for an example, not even a hundredth as good as someone like, say, Radiohead's

Why aren't all of her labels artists doing the same number of sales or quality of music as Taylor Swift has done?

dougdirt
11-01-2012, 02:09 AM
They also really, really can't ever forget who Taylor Swift is, even if they want to.

I just so happen to think that what CDs my friend's little sisters are buying is a pretty poor barometer of quality.

Here is a sampling of the artists on my current playlist:

50 Cent
Alkaline Trio
Atreyu
Lil Wayne
Catch 22
Drake
Fall Out Boy
Green Day
Hi-Tek
Hilary Duff
Hoobastank
Jay Z
Jimmy Eat World
Kanye West
Less Than Jake
Muse
My Chemical Romance
Nada Surf
Oasis
Rachel Platton
Rage Against the Machine
Streetlight Manifesto
Taking Back Sunday
T.I.
Taylor Swift
The Mars Volta
The Postal Service
Thrice
Vanessa Carlton

I listen to an incredibly wide variety of music. It isn't just teenage girls buying her stuff.

camisadelgolf
11-01-2012, 03:35 AM
For me, the only cringe-worthy artist on Doug's list is Hoobastank. A couple of the others might have cringe-ish moments, but that's the only artist that I find consistently horrible. But I have no idea who Rachel Platton is.

dougdirt
11-01-2012, 04:32 AM
For me, the only cringe-worthy artist on Doug's list is Hoobastank. A couple of the others might have cringe-ish moments, but that's the only artist that I find consistently horrible. But I have no idea who Rachel Platton is.

Generally speaking, I agree. But The Reason just hits home for me to a certain point in life. I need to be in the mood to not hit next when it comes on, but it is one of those songs for me.

As for Rachel Platton.... a few of her songs are on my current playlist. Certainly not for everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r61LFkzKzQQ

camisadelgolf
11-01-2012, 05:37 AM
I'm not that into it, but at least it's not cringe-worthy. Btw, check out Regina Spektor for some great music. I can send you some links if you'd like. But back to the cringe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF2o5RDkq9A

camisadelgolf
11-01-2012, 05:40 AM
And of course this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE2l6CPna4M

camisadelgolf
11-01-2012, 06:21 AM
And if you don't mind bad words, search "Skrillex Rapping Freestyle.mp4" on YouTube.

gilpdawg
11-01-2012, 06:36 AM

Here's my favorite Genesis tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pteh5hdZlg

gilpdawg
11-01-2012, 06:41 AM

Oh, come on man!:lol: Why don't you just cut my heart out of my chest!

gilpdawg
11-01-2012, 06:46 AM
If we're posting bad music videos...I just won the thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6tnj7IEI0E&feature=related

Captain13
11-01-2012, 08:42 AM
There may be other songs just as bad, but I challenge anyone to find a song more "cringe worthy" for any number of reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HeE6NWmDE

*BaseClogger*
11-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Here is a sampling of the artists on my current playlist:

50 Cent
Alkaline Trio
Atreyu
Lil Wayne
Catch 22
Drake
Fall Out Boy
Green Day
Hi-Tek
Hilary Duff
Hoobastank
Jay Z
Jimmy Eat World
Kanye West
Less Than Jake
Muse
My Chemical Romance
Nada Surf
Oasis
Rachel Platton
Rage Against the Machine
Streetlight Manifesto
Taking Back Sunday
T.I.
Taylor Swift
The Mars Volta
The Postal Service
Thrice
Vanessa Carlton

I listen to an incredibly wide variety of music. It isn't just teenage girls buying her stuff.

I see mainstream rap music, some pop, and the emo pop-punk garbage I listened to in high school...

EDIT: I still listen to some older Alkaline Trio, Dookie, JEW, and Rage Against the Machine though! :D

nate
11-01-2012, 09:15 AM

It's probably the measure with the most objectivity, yes.

Not that sales are totally objective.

But otherwise, it's simply a matter of taste.

RichRed
11-01-2012, 09:41 AM

Of course it's a personal thing, and there's plenty of Genesis that I like and plenty that I don't like, but something about the sound of that "I Can't Dance" song always makes me want to crawl out of my skin. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

And at the risk of seeming stuck in the past, I also nominate the entire "Top Gun" soundtrack as supremely worthy of cringe.

For more recent stuff, anything by Three Doors Down, and while I realize it's low-hanging fruit, Nickelback. Also, someone mentioned Train earlier. That song "Hey Soul Sister" - bleccchhhh.

*BaseClogger*
11-01-2012, 09:42 AM
It's probably the measure with the most objectivity, yes.

Not that sales are totally objective.

But otherwise, it's simply a matter of taste.

I agree.

But why is it we are so quick to distinguish film based on quality but have difficulty doing the same with music?

Dom Heffner
11-01-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm gonna start a thread about cringe-worthy standup comedians and then bring up Mitch Hedberg... :laugh:

You started a coughing fit with that one...great stuff. I about slipped off my chair lol....

Yeah, I love talking smack with music. I do.

I think I once compared Radiohead to a garden hoe being strung across a violin.

Or something like that. It's also funny to hear Wonderful Monds rag on Rolling Stone because I rag on them too because they five star every single album from bands he loves.

You will find no bigger fan of the Boss than I. Wrecking Ball isn't a four or five star record. Same with all the Dylan stuff. And they rank him above the Stones on theeir greatest artist list. No. DylAn isn't better than the Stones. Nirvama isn't better than Springsteen.

And the bashing of Phil Collins should be punishable by law.

*BaseClogger*
11-01-2012, 11:10 AM
You started a coughing fit with that one...great stuff. I about slipped off my chair lol....

Yeah, I love talking smack with music. I do.

I think I once compared Radiohead to a garden hoe being strung across a violin.

Or something like that. It's also funny to hear Wonderful Monds rag on Rolling Stone because I rag on them too because they five star every single album from bands he loves.

You will find no bigger fan of the Boss than I. Wrecking Ball isn't a four or five star record. Same with all the Dylan stuff. And they rank him above the Stones on theeir greatest artist list. No. DylAn isn't better than the Stones. Nirvama isn't better than Springsteen.

And the bashing of Phil Collins should be punishable by law.

My biggest criticism of Rolling Sonte, other than their clear bias in their lists towards music from the 1960s and 1970s, is that they don't stick to their reviews. They famously gave Nevermind three stars out of five when it was released, but now have it listed as five out of five. A publication loses all credibility at that point IMO...

kaldaniels
11-01-2012, 11:26 AM
My biggest criticism of Rolling Sonte, other than their clear bias in their lists towards music from the 1960s and 1970s, is that they don't stick to their reviews. They famously gave Nevermind three stars out of five when it was released, but now have it listed as five out of five. A publication loses all credibility at that point IMO...

Drives me nuts as well. And unfortunately now you see (as Dom mentioned) the Springsteens and the Dylans getting stellar reviews just so that the reviewer won't be on the wrong side of history. (Should the album take off)

Dom Heffner
11-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Sorry for the typos: my ipad doesn't cooperate.

I love Roger Ebert because he gave Halloween 4 stars out of the chute.

That took some guts and some insight.

It's a great film- among the best.

Dom Heffner
11-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Drives me nuts as well. And unfortunately now you see (as Dom mentioned) the Springsteens and the Dylans getting stellar reviews just so that the reviewer won't be on the wrong side of history. (Should the album take off)

Springsteen and Dylan are among the greatest of all time (and I can say that as someone who doesn't "get" Dylan and who is perfectly fine criticizing him), but not everything they do is great. You have to know that as a music critic. People with vast catalogs have crappy stuff. That's what I say to those who bash Phil Collins. Yes, there is some crap there. But good lord, the man dominated the music scene for close to ten years- there's massive talent there, and it's pretty foolish to bring up the Disney stuff to define someone.

I used to work with a guy who worshipped Jimi Hendrix and could not stop bashing Bob Seger.

Here's the thing: I can say that from a critical standpoint that Hendrix is better (if you agree that art is more important than accessebility).

But if you are asking me what I enjoy listening to more- aor what would I rather have with me on a long car ride- dude, I'm taking Seger and it isn't close. I listen to Night Moves and hear my life. I relate to it, it brings me to different chapters in my life. That's the reason I listen to music- for the melody, for the lyrics that reflect who I am, and the combination of those two things just takes you back. Music is better than pictures for nostalgia for me. And while Jimi Hendrix is a great guitarist, it doesn't satisy why I listen to music.

And really- Taylor Swift gets at that with folks. You don't sell a million plus records in a week, and only appeal to teenage girls. We all had relationships at that age, we all had those feelings of heartbreak, secret crushes, success, failings. For me she captures a lot of that. Again, I wouldn't put that up against Zeppelin, but I wouldn't put Seger up against Hendrix either.

It all has its place, and I can recognize that something is good for its genre.

*BaseClogger*
11-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Springsteen and Dylan are among the greatest of all time (and I can say that as someone who doesn't "get" Dylan and who is perfectly fine criticizing him), but not everything they do is great. You have to know that as a music critic. People with vast catalogs have crappy stuff. That's what I say to those who bash Phil Collins. Yes, there is some crap there. But good lord, the man dominated the music scene for close to ten years- there's massive talent there, and it's pretty foolish to bring up the Disney stuff to define someone.

I used to work with a guy who worshipped Jimi Hendrix and could not stop bashing Bob Seger.

Here's the thing: I can say that from a critical standpoint that Hendrix is better (if you agree that art is more important than accessebility).

But if you are asking me what I enjoy listening to more- aor what would I rather have with me on a long car ride- dude, I'm taking Seger and it isn't close. I listen to Night Moves and hear my life. I relate to it, it brings me to different chapters in my life. That's the reason I listen to music- for the melody, for the lyrics that reflect who I am, and the combination of those two things just takes you back. Music is better than pictures for nostalgia for me. And while Jimi Hendrix is a great guitarist, it doesn't satisy why I listen to music.

And really- Taylor Swift gets at that with folks. You don't sell a million plus records in a week, and only appeal to teenage girls. We all had relationships at that age, we all had those feelings of heartbreak, secret crushes, success, failings. For me she captures a lot of that. Again, I wouldn't put that up against Zeppelin, but I wouldn't put Seger up against Hendrix either.

It all has its place, and I can recognize that something is good for its genre.

Dom, we haven't always seen eye-to-eye in this thread, but I agree with everything you just typed. Excellent post! :thumbup:

EDIT: I'm still gonna choose Hendrix, but I've always been an instruments guy. I think there is a lot more emotion that can be released from a guitar than can be expressed in lyrics. Just my opinion. But that doesn't mean I can't agree with your post.

Dom Heffner
11-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Dom, we haven't always seen eye-to-eye in this thread, but I agree with everything you just typed. Excellent post! :thumbup:

EDIT: I'm still gonna choose Hendrix, but I've always been an instruments guy. I think there is a lot more emotion that can be released from a guitar than can be expressed in lyrics. Just my opinion. But that doesn't mean I can't agree with your post.

And full disclosure: I waked out of Dave Matthews after the 50th solo. I did.

I play three instruments, and for me, it's always been about complimenting.

Edie Van Halen plays a solo, it;'s bathroom time for me. I want melody, I want the lyrics. I want to sing along. I want to think about a time in my life.

I don't want to sit there and clap along to somehting that I have no idea what I'm clapping to. Always been that way.

And it's great that you like the instrumentation. It really is.

PedroBourbon
11-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Yoko Ono.

That was the very first thought in my mind just upon seeing the title of this thread.

RichRed
11-01-2012, 04:08 PM
I want melody, I want the lyrics. I want to sing along. I want to think about a time in my life.

This is me too, for the most part. I'm much more likely to be the guy singing along than I am to be the guy playing air guitar. I like the way words and music come together. I marvel at musicians who are able to do this and make it seem as simple as adding 1 + 1, because for me, it might as well be splitting the atom.

Captain13
11-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Of course it's a personal thing, and there's plenty of Genesis that I like and plenty that I don't like, but something about the sound of that "I Can't Dance" song always makes me want to crawl out of my skin. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

And at the risk of seeming stuck in the past, I also nominate the entire "Top Gun" soundtrack as supremely worthy of cringe.

For more recent stuff, anything by Three Doors Down, and while I realize it's low-hanging fruit, Nickelback. Also, someone mentioned Train earlier. That song "Hey Soul Sister" - bleccchhhh.

Maybe this says something about my age, or just my taste, but I still listen to the Top Gun Soundtrack. Not all of it, but most of it.

I don't get the whole "I hate Nickelback" thing. Sure, Chad isn't an artist: not pretending to be. He is a rock star. Big songs, big ballads, big shows and big money. Are any of their songs great, maybe I Wanna Be a Rockstar...the irony. I love that song. But otherwise, they are above average pop tunes. Other than Rockstar, Nickelback has written three songs: 1, Uptempo sex song...AC/DC made a career on this song. 2, Midtempo introspective song...bleh. 3, Ballad...chicks dig ballads so Nickelback sings ballads. Last year I saw Nickelback live, they put on one helluva rock show. Big lights, bigger speakers, even bigger pyrotechnics with an even bigger stage (not to mention a second stage that lifted 30 feet in the air and rotated). Are they Hendrix or Zeppelin? Obviously not. But they are everything AC/DC and Van Halen were, only to a new audience.

camisadelgolf
11-01-2012, 04:45 PM
As someone who dislikes Nickelback, I feel like they get a lot more flack than they deserve. But I'm not as ashamed as I should be to admit that I laughed at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7W-2BJUveE

RichRed
11-01-2012, 04:57 PM
I don't get the whole "I hate Nickelback" thing. Sure, Chad isn't an artist: not pretending to be. He is a rock star. Big songs, big ballads, big shows and big money. Are any of their songs great, maybe I Wanna Be a Rockstar...the irony. I love that song. But otherwise, they are above average pop tunes. Other than Rockstar, Nickelback has written three songs: 1, Uptempo sex song...AC/DC made a career on this song. 2, Midtempo introspective song...bleh. 3, Ballad...chicks dig ballads so Nickelback sings ballads. Last year I saw Nickelback live, they put on one helluva rock show. Big lights, bigger speakers, even bigger pyrotechnics with an even bigger stage (not to mention a second stage that lifted 30 feet in the air and rotated). Are they Hendrix or Zeppelin? Obviously not. But they are everything AC/DC and Van Halen were, only to a new audience.

For me, it's as simple as this: When I hear that guy's voice, I cringe. I don't hate Nickelback because it's popular to hate Nickelback; there's just nothing about their sound that even remotely appeals to me.

Dom Heffner
11-01-2012, 05:04 PM
For me, it's as simple as this: When I hear that guy's voice, I cringe. I don't hate Nickelback because it's popular to hate Nickelback; there's just nothing about their sound that even remotely appeals to me.

Creed does this to me.

RichRed
11-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Creed does this to me.

Yeah, they're about as cringe-worthy as it gets for me too.

camisadelgolf
11-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Although he's a little generic, I kind of like Creed's guitarist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnkuBUAwfe0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lKBro5YkPs

camisadelgolf
11-01-2012, 05:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuHUyyhgspc

dougdirt
11-01-2012, 06:31 PM
As someone who dislikes Nickelback, I feel like they get a lot more flack than they deserve. But I'm not as ashamed as I should be to admit that I laughed at this:

Boo. Just because you don't like the music doesn't mean you chuck things at him/them. Poor taste Portugal. Poor taste.

Dom Heffner
11-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Boo. Just because you don't like the music doesn't mean you chuck things at him/them. Poor taste Portugal. Poor taste.

This is Nickelback, Doug. :)

nate
11-01-2012, 08:25 PM
I agree.

But why is it we are so quick to distinguish film based on quality but have difficulty doing the same with music?

I don't think "we" have any difficulty distinguishing quality in music, film, etc.

I think you just don't have the same taste as "we."

Which is fine, I don't have the same taste as "we" either.

And you and I are a part of "we."

If you or I were to ask other members of "we," they'll probably say they don't have the same taste as "we," you or me either.

Yet them, you and I are "we."

I hope you were wearing a helmet lest your head be wrought asunder from these mindblowing ideas!

Whee!

:cool:

Degenerate39
11-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Is she cringe worthy? Again, another incredibly gifted writer and successful artist.

I think cringe worthy, I think "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades."

You guys are hating on Phil Collins and Lady Gaga. Those guys aren't cringe worthy- that's talent. That's success.

I know it pains people to like pop music, but I don't make apologies for thinking Rod Stewart is better than Pavement. He is.

I had Nikki Manji in mind but typed Lady Gaga for some reason

Dom Heffner
11-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Don Johnson's "Heartbeat"? Or maybe that duet he did with Barbra Streisand?

Both stomach churning affairs.

texasdave
11-01-2012, 08:29 PM
"Ebony and Ivory" if we are going with stomach-turning duets.

nate
11-01-2012, 08:29 PM
If you can watch this without cringing, you might be an android:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0j7sModCI

texasdave
11-01-2012, 08:32 PM
If you can watch this without cringing, you might be an android:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0j7sModCI

That video killed a budding career.

Dom Heffner
11-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I was talking to someone last week and they brought this video up as a moment where he jumped the shark.

He had some terrific stuff, though.

nate
11-01-2012, 08:40 PM
OK, here's a video where, to me, the "moves" are on par with Mr. Squier's.

However, DIFFERENT RESULT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2BqLlVHlWA

*BaseClogger*
11-01-2012, 10:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuHUyyhgspc

I almost posted that song earlier when DougDirt mentioned that band haha. Goddamnit is goddamn perfect...

TeamSelig
11-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Pretty lame to talk about cringe worthy music. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. People like all different types of music.

marcshoe
11-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Pretty lame to talk about cringe worthy music. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. People like all different types of music.

Are you saying this is a cringeworthy thread?

Dom Heffner
11-01-2012, 11:04 PM

I guess that could be said about posting in a thread you don't like lol...

Wonderful Monds
11-02-2012, 02:05 AM
I don't think "we" have any difficulty distinguishing quality in music, film, etc.
And yet we've spent the majority of a thread correlating album sales and chart positions with musical quality, so yknow actually, I think "we" might have a pretty big problem with it.

camisadelgolf
11-02-2012, 03:32 AM
I disagree completely about album sales being the most objective way to judge music. If an album sells well, I think history has shown that it has more to do with its marketability than the quality of the album.

Dom Heffner
11-02-2012, 08:32 AM
And yet we've spent the majority of a thread correlating album sales and chart positions with musical quality, so yknow actually, I think "we" might have a pretty big problem with it.

I don't think we are arguing that at all.

I showed you where Taylor Swift received critical success. You made fun of the sources.

So what you've boiled it down to is that you've decided that since a market consists of teenage girls and lame media likes her, it is therefore not good.

How convenient.

Music is about taste. You don't like her. But we can't be blinded by our own taste to say that something is bad.

I don't like Metallica. I would also tell you they are the best at what they do and are pioneers. I can make that observation by looking at the people who they appeal to and realizing that that group judges them to be very good.

Dom Heffner
11-02-2012, 08:38 AM
I disagree completely about album sales being the most objective way to judge music. If an album sells well, I think history has shown that it has more to do with its marketability than the quality of the album.

Sell a lot or not, something can be good.

Swift sells a lot and her stuff is good. If you like pop music, you can't deny her appeal.

She writes her own stuff- she isn't some marketing creation. To be that young, write the amount of stuff that she has and have it sell that well- that takes talent. Maybe it's too fun and young and feminine, okay. I get it.

nate
11-02-2012, 09:17 AM

You're missing the point.

camisadelgolf
11-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Sell a lot or not, something can be good.

Swift sells a lot and her stuff is good. If you like pop music, you can't deny her appeal.

She writes her own stuff- she isn't some marketing creation. To be that young, write the amount of stuff that she has and have it sell that well- that takes talent. Maybe it's too fun and young and feminine, okay. I get it.
I probably have the highest amount of praise for Taylor Swift of anyone in this thread, and I believe a large chunk of her sales is due to how she's marketed. She came from money, was modeling, and knew someone in the music scene before she was performing original songs. Had her teeny-bopper country songs been released on a small label, it still might have blown up, but only after her contract was sold to a larger label for more marketing.

Dom Heffner
11-02-2012, 09:39 AM
I probably have the highest amount of praise for Taylor Swift of anyone in this thread, and I believe a large chunk of her sales is due to how she's marketed. She came from money, was modeling, and knew someone in the music scene before she was performing original songs. Had her teeny-bopper country songs been released on a small label, it still might have blown up, but only after her contract was sold to a larger label for more marketing.

You can't market to a broad audience if you don't appeal to a large audience.

Good post!

nate
11-02-2012, 09:39 AM

She came from modeling?

Really?

I've got to get that marketing book!

Captain13
11-02-2012, 10:09 AM
I don't like Metallica.

How is that possible? I mean, really?! Anybody who had long hair or a mullet in the 80's knows one thing: METALLICA RULEZ!!! They are the Led Zeppelin of the next generation. They had four multi-platinum ablums before they had any radio play, then they had five more each with its share of AOR hits. That said, it is all about test.

camisadelgolf
11-02-2012, 10:23 AM
You can't market to a broad audience if you don't appeal to a large audience.

Good post!
I'll put it like this: artists with a lot less talent than Taylor Swift have sold more albums to Taylor Swift's demographic. People will be anything if it's marketed well enough.

Dom Heffner
11-02-2012, 11:48 AM
How is that possible? I mean, really?! Anybody who had long hair or a mullet in the 80's knows one thing: METALLICA RULEZ!!! They are the Led Zeppelin of the next generation. They had four multi-platinum ablums before they had any radio play, then they had five more each with its share of AOR hits. That said, it is all about test.

I'll give you all that. I will.

Def Leppard is where it is for me.

vaticanplum
11-02-2012, 06:31 PM
I don't think we are arguing that at all.

I showed you where Taylor Swift received critical success. You made fun of the sources.

So what you've boiled it down to is that you've decided that since a market consists of teenage girls and lame media likes her, it is therefore not good.

How convenient.

Music is about taste. You don't like her. But we can't be blinded by our own taste to say that something is bad.

I don't like Metallica. I would also tell you they are the best at what they do and are pioneers. I can make that observation by looking at the people who they appeal to and realizing that that group judges them to be very good.

And if we don't like something, it's not automatically because it's popular. If one is going against what you see as the general popular grain, one might actually have reasons for it.

dom, I feel like you should remember that I am a pop princess. I, like, dissect that stuff. I can defend Call Me Maybe as a piece of musical genius. The hooks are killer, the style of singing suits the song perfectly, the beats are both modern and timeless. The synth in the chorus is some of the best pop production ever. EVER. in terms of pop production, it is up there with the Beatles. I'm 100% serious.

And yes: I don't think Taylor Swift is very good. I think she sticks with a standard formula -- in her songwriting, in her singing, in her lyrics, in her execution (as a performer and in production). But she doesn't do anything especially interesting with it. I find it generic and vanilla and boring. I'm not saying she has to do anything NEW. I think The Strokes -- often miscategorized as a rock band -- are a stellar pop band, because they take a tried-and-true formula (chords, guitars, lyrics, everything), and they do absolutely nothing new with it. Except they do it incredibly well. I find Taylor Swift mediocre. I wouldn't feel any differently if she wasn't a mass success. She's boring and bland, but she has a niche, and she was packaged well and surrounded by money, so there you go. It doesn't mean she's good.

I'm also bugged by the fact that anyone ever refers to her music as country, as there's nothing remotely country about it. But that's probably not her fault.

Most of all, I find her message, the stories in her songs, and the general persona to be offensive, I really do. The fact that anyone could consider her a role model for young women is something I find borderline abhorrent.

camisadelgolf
11-02-2012, 06:35 PM
I'll put it like this: artists with a lot less talent than Taylor Swift have sold more albums to Taylor Swift's demographic. People will buy anything if it's marketed well enough.
fmp

Revering4Blue
11-02-2012, 07:04 PM
I don't like the Beastie Boys. I would also tell you they are the best at what they do and are pioneers. I can make that observation by looking at the people who they appeal to and realizing that that group judges them to be very good.

Fixed that for me.

IslandRed
11-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Most of all, I find her message, the stories in her songs, and the general persona to be offensive, I really do. The fact that anyone could consider her a role model for young women is something I find borderline abhorrent.

I've always enjoyed your perspective on things, so I'm asking out of genuine curiosity as the dad of a daughter. Obviously, being a 40something-year-old man instead of a tween girl, Swift's music does nothing for me. But I don't find it, or her, offensive in the slightest. Overly dramatic, maybe, but that's pretty much standard issue in a demographic that (to steal a line) emotes for a living. Who do you consider a role model for young women, musically speaking? And by that, I mean role models for normal teenage girls who are going to go through life at normal speed and can't skip straight to being 25. What is it about those artists that appeals to you? Did you like them when you were that age or is it a situation where they are the artists you wished you had listened to at that age?

Revering4Blue
11-02-2012, 07:47 PM
All music is of a time, place and perspective. If it's not coming from YOUR time, place and perspective, you're less likely to like it. This is especially true when breaking down along gender lines; for the most part, men and women don't like exactly the same music or for the same reasons. That doesn't necessarily make either's music better or worse, it's just different.

Here's how to know something REALLY sucks: when the intended target audience doesn't like it. Otherwise, a little "each to our own" goes a long way.

Well stated.

gilpdawg
11-02-2012, 08:51 PM

I understand where he's coming from and I'm most likely the biggest metal fan here. Metallica has been pedestrian since 1986 imo. Those first three records are unstoppable though. I'd argue that while their rival Dave didn't ever have as good an album as Master of Puppets, as a whole, Megadeth's body of work is more consistent. I know I'm going to get hammered for that, but whatever.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

camisadelgolf
11-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Everything is wrong with this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=kn7jpINpqbQ#!

Captain13
11-05-2012, 08:58 AM
I understand where he's coming from and I'm most likely the biggest metal fan here. Metallica has been pedestrian since 1986 imo. Those first three records are unstoppable though. I'd argue that while their rival Dave didn't ever have as good an album as Master of Puppets, as a whole, Megadeth's body of work is more consistent. I know I'm going to get hammered for that, but whatever.

Megadeth's body of work is more consistant, but I don't think it is better (I don't think it is nearly as good). Looking back and listening as an adult, and after the music landscape has changed I think Slayer holds up amazingly well. I think King's guitar work dwarfs that of any other thrash band. Also, I think Pantera took everything that was great about Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer combined it with their take on Sabbath and Purple and created some masterful music.

Metallica is still my favorite, and probably the most influential of the bunch, but I think the best heavy metal songs of the 80's and 90's were performed by Slayer and Pantera.

gilpdawg
11-05-2012, 10:56 AM
I agree with that, but I prefer Hanneman over King if I'm ranking Slayer guitarists. All of King's solos sound alike to me.

TeamSelig
11-06-2012, 10:37 AM
I guess that could be said about posting in a thread you don't like lol...

lol that is true

Dom Heffner
11-06-2012, 01:15 PM

It's plain, it's vanilla, it isn't country, yet the stories in her songs are borderline offensive, she isn't a role model (abhorrently so) and Call Me Maybe is genius.

Well, there ya have it! LOL....

I don't even know where to start with that, I don't. :)

OldRightHander
11-07-2012, 11:00 AM
I know this will cause a few folks around here to shake their heads, but I really can't stand heavy metal. I can listen to just about anything but that.

That and I'm getting kind of sick of Gangnam Style because every time I go on Facebook someone else has just posted a link to it.

kaldaniels
11-07-2012, 11:21 AM
I know this will cause a few folks around here to shake their heads, but I really can't stand heavy metal. I can listen to just about anything but that.

That and I'm getting kind of sick of Gangnam Style because every time I go on Facebook someone else has just posted a link to it.

I have absolutely no qualms with people who don't have the palate for heavy metal, but some of the stuff out there is the closest thing we have to classical music (aside from classical music ;)) that is out there today. Tons of musical talent in the genre. I'm not totally into the whole "darkness" element of heavy metal but musically there are some great pieces out there.

Wonderful Monds
11-07-2012, 12:01 PM
I have absolutely no qualms with people who don't have the palate for heavy metal, but some of the stuff out there is the closest thing we have to classical music (aside from classical music ;)) that is out there today. Tons of musical talent in the genre. I'm not totally into the whole "darkness" element of heavy metal but musically there are some great pieces out there.

Post-rock seems to more heavily classical thread running through it IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynoMnQDy8Tk

But I see your point.

Tony Cloninger
11-07-2012, 12:45 PM

I do not like the cookie monster type singing in the new metal .... I grew up on (Junior HS and HS) Black Flag, TSOL, Megadeth, Buzzcocks, The Clash in the late 70's and early 80's....then Black Flag grew their hair out and started sounding like early Black Sabbath. They were trying to distance themselves from some of the Neo-Nazi punk that was coming out of the Orange County area. I never really went back to anything hard after that, besides G & R and then STP, Nirvana, Wolfmother and Jet.

My brother was very much into Metallica and then Pantera....and then it just seemed to go into the way over the top dark and stupid. But it had to I guess in order to appeal to that audience.

Ravenlord
11-07-2012, 06:30 PM
virutally all indy rock, jazz, and American dance pop make me cringe. i tell you no lies, jazz is usually the soundtrack to my nightmares.

Revering4Blue
11-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Here's another obvious one: Muzak/Elevator Music. It particularly annoys me with automated phone systems when I'm placed on hold.

A new automated option in such cases is sorely needed.

Automated voice: If you'd rather be roasted over hot coals than listen to this bloody awful music, press "0" six times followed by the "pound" key.

camisadelgolf
11-08-2012, 01:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3l0A5R4WaA

Tony Cloninger
11-08-2012, 10:45 AM
virutally all indy rock, jazz, and American dance pop make me cringe. i tell you no lies, jazz is usually the soundtrack to my nightmares.

Despite my taste in music, which i posted right before your post....I actually have a guilty pleasure in some pop music. The song "Lights" by I forget who is just stuck in my head and It does not bother me. I learned to play drums listening to jazz records my father had like John Coltrane..... then i went sideways with punk as I got older.

*BaseClogger*
11-08-2012, 11:10 AM

What do you mean by "indy rock"?

Ravenlord
11-08-2012, 11:22 AM
What do you mean by "indy rock"?

Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, the overwhelming majority of Radiohead that i've been forced to listen to, The Killers, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Modest Mouse.

for every one song i actually like from the genre, the same band produces 30 more that offend my senses in what is likely the same way that black metal sonically offends the overwhelming majority of people.

Ravenlord
11-08-2012, 11:28 AM
My brother was very much into Metallica and then Pantera....and then it just seemed to go into the way over the top dark and stupid. But it had to I guess in order to appeal to that audience.

i think Metallica's biggest problem is they ran out of Mustaine-era material to steal and then Cliff died.

the main reason i never liked much Pantera is Phil Anselmo, i hate that sludgey kinda vocal he uses and i find his lyrics mostly annoying.

Bob Sheed
11-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Despite my taste in music, which i posted right before your post....I actually have a guilty pleasure in some pop music. The song "Lights" by I forget who is just stuck in my head and It does not bother me. I learned to play drums listening to jazz records my father had like John Coltrane..... then i went sideways with punk as I got older.

Coltrane to Punk is not sideways.

OldRightHander
11-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Coltrane to Punk is not sideways.

Step down in my book, but Coltrane is kind of an acquired taste.

Bob Sheed
11-08-2012, 04:54 PM

BIG step down.

Coltrane is indeed an acquired taste. And Punk, by its own definition, is an acquired lack of taste.

Dom Heffner
11-09-2012, 12:03 PM

I don't like jazz and the reason is I need to be able to know where the music is heading. I don't react, I play along. That's just me.

Dance music at a club isn't bad in small doses. I don't need to hear fifty songs back to back with the same beat. It is annoying. It was annoying when I was young, it isn't me getting old. Thump, thump, thump, thump. When it is that loud it just beats you up.

Captain13
11-09-2012, 01:40 PM
I heard one today. I know it isn't a terrible song, but for some reason I can't stand "Slow Ride" by Foghat. If I have control of the stereo, I turn it off immediately. If I don't, I cringe and endure it like a punishment. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.

Ugh!

Dom Heffner
11-09-2012, 03:09 PM
This started a giggle fit.

Revering4Blue
11-09-2012, 04:10 PM
I heard one today. I know it isn't a terrible song, but for some reason I can't stand "Slow Ride" by Foghat. If I have control of the stereo, I turn it off immediately. If I don't, I cringe and endure it like a punishment. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.

Ugh!

I hear ya.

IMO, "Slow Ride", "Satisfaction", and "Hotel California" fall into the overplayed, overrated category.

I was sick to death of them years ago, and never cared for "Satisfaction" <ducks> at all.

cinredsfan2000
11-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Freebird
smoke on the water
stairway to heaven
I know the classic rock station here around Albany ,N.Y is terrible same stale playlist of classic rock songs since they came out in the 70's :thumbdown:Now don't get me wrong i love me some classic rock as much as the next person but c'mon Foghat ,Lynyrd Skynyrd must have put out other songs other than slow ride,and free bird right :confused: Maybe somebody can explain why on a lot of classic rock stations they don't play some of the bands other songs other than there "hits".

RichRed
11-09-2012, 04:28 PM
IMO, "Slow Ride", "Satisfaction", and "Hotel California" fall into the overplayed, overrated category.

I was sick to death of them years ago, and never cared for "Satisfaction" <ducks> at all.

I feel like being trapped in Hotel California couldn't possibly be any worse than listening to "Hotel California." I can't turn that song off fast enough when I hear it.

Captain13
11-09-2012, 04:50 PM
I still like Hotel California, but I get where you guys are coming from.

Freebird is a half-of-a-listen from me, I turn it off before the long solos and whole second song part.

R4B, take back what you said about Satisfaction. Unless, of course, you are talking about Devo or Britney Spears covers.

A good classic rock station would play everything on both Eagles greatest hits and then some (James Dean for example) and about 15 Lynyrd Skynyrd songs (although some people say they did three songs: uptempo song, ballad, and Freebird).

Revering4Blue
11-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Freebird
smoke on the water
stairway to heaven
I know the classic rock station here around Albany ,N.Y is terrible same stale playlist of classic rock songs since they came out in the 70's :thumbdown:Now don't get me wrong i love me some classic rock as much as the next person but c'mon Foghat ,Lynyrd Skynyrd must have put out other songs other than slow ride,and free bird right :confused: Maybe somebody can explain why on a lot of classic rock stations they don't play some of the bands other songs other than there "hits".

For the most part, it's due to the fact that conglomerates are now able to purchase multiple radio stations in a given market thanks to de-regulation, which offers no incentive to be innovative at all. It's very rare that program directors have as much free reign as they used to back in the heyday of "Mainstream Rock" radio.

The irony of this is that stations that specialize in "Classic Rock" today have much smaller playlists of "Classic Rock" than they did back in the day when Rock Radio meant "mainstream AOR"--New Rock and Classic Rock in the same format.

Revering4Blue
11-09-2012, 05:02 PM
R4B, take back what you said about Satisfaction. Unless, of course, you are talking about Devo or Britney Spears covers.

Sorry, I just can't.

Signature song or not --That is the one Rolling Stones track that never did anything for me.

cinredsfan2000
11-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks for that info R4Blue I always sort of chalked it up to lazy d.j.'s and lazy listeners just clamoring for the hits :laugh:

Ravenlord
11-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Sorry, I just can't.

Signature song or not --That is the one Rolling Stones track that never did anything for me.

it used to be a song i loved to listen to until i was about 16 or 17. then on a drive from Dayton to Denver it came on several hundred times on my brother's MP3 player.

nate
11-09-2012, 09:20 PM
This was pretty high on my specially nate-calibrated insipidmeter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

Yet, it's been viewed over 42 million times...all but 10 by BaseClogger!

Wonderful Monds
11-09-2012, 09:28 PM
I just want to point out I don't understand the term "AOR". There is plenty of "album oriented" rock out there (even more so than AOR labeled bands), but you would never hear twice of the term today.

Revering4Blue
11-09-2012, 10:13 PM
I just want to point out I don't understand the term "AOR". There is plenty of "album oriented" rock out there (even more so than AOR labeled bands), but you would never hear twice of the term today.

True, but I was speaking in terms of the "AOR" Radio format, also known as "Mainstream Rock", which is sadly virtually extinct today. Rock radio today is generally split into sub-formats--AAA, Alternative, Active Rock and Classic Rock--and rarely, if ever, do you get it all on one station today.

Also, Rock Radio stations used to play more than two or three tracks from current albums/CDs. That rarely occurs today.

IslandRed
11-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks for that info R4Blue I always sort of chalked it up to lazy d.j.'s and lazy listeners just clamoring for the hits :laugh:

Yep, Revering4Blue is right, although the trend started even before the mega-conglomerates got going. This was one of the things I learned back in school, before I realized I wasn't destined to be the next Dr. Johnny Fever or Andy Travis, and got a real job instead... the philosophies of programming a radio station and selling records are completely different. Record sales are about positive action -- "buy this song/album." Radio is about the negative action -- "don't touch that dial." Ratings are driven by people who leave the station on all day, and ratings = money. So the programmers focus on filtering out songs that drive people to change the station -- and in a classic rock format, by now they know how the public will react to anything they play.

But as others have noted, there's a "short term gain, long term pain" effect. By restricting the playlists to that degree, they just hasten the "stale" factor and the format's eventual demise. Same thing happened a decade or two back with the oldies stations (playlist: the period between "Rock Around The Clock" and "Sgt. Pepper") -- after awhile, the playlist had been trimmed to only the most familiar tunes, a fourth of which were by the Beatles, and now everyone who wants to hear good stuff from the '50s and '60s listens to XM/Sirius or Pandora. (Insert "aging demographic" joke here)

paintmered
11-10-2012, 10:58 AM
This was pretty high on my specially nate-calibrated insipidmeter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

Yet, it's been viewed over 42 million times...all but 10 by BaseClogger!

And its successor (and even more terrible)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSBq8geuJk0&feature=g-logo-xit

*BaseClogger*
11-10-2012, 11:53 AM
And its successor (and even more terrible)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSBq8geuJk0&feature=g-logo-xit

You beat me to it! :D

edit: if this doesn't prove how easy it is to make a pop song in this country these days, I don't know what does.

Yachtzee
11-10-2012, 01:46 PM
I still like Hotel California, but I get where you guys are coming from.

Freebird is a half-of-a-listen from me, I turn it off before the long solos and whole second song part.

A good classic rock station would play everything on both Eagles greatest hits and then some (James Dean for example) and about 15 Lynyrd Skynyrd songs (although some people say they did three songs: uptempo song, ballad, and Freebird).

I love the Devo cover of Satisfaction. They were truly great before they replaced their drummer Alan Myers with a drum machine.

Yachtzee
11-10-2012, 01:55 PM
I can't believe we have a cringe-worthy music thread and nobody has mentioned "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle. Seriously, I can tolerate most music, but I hate sappy overemotional trash like this.

I would also throw in "Everybody Hurts" by R.E.M. They were my favorite bad for a long time, but with that song, it's like they declared themselves my enemies for life.

Then there's that duet with Eminem and Rihanna about domestic violence. Ugh.

Some Emo bands are like fingernails on the chalkboard.

marcshoe
11-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Not that this has anything to do with the thread, but Chad Kroeger co-owns the company that Carlyle Rad Jepsen records with. ;)

Just sayin'.

Ravenlord
11-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Not that this has anything to do with the thread, but Chad Kroeger co-owns the company that Carlyle Rad Jepsen records with. ;)

Just sayin'.

i think not only does that have to do with this thread, but explains everything.:p

Yachtzee
11-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Starship anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdj9NRzqC4

Dom Heffner
11-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Oh. Oh. Oh.

Yeah, that was a low moment in history.

I love Paul Kantner's comments on Behind the Music on that one:

"We Built This City on Rock and Roll. yeah Riiiiighhht."

cinredsfan2000
11-20-2012, 04:42 PM
I see your starship and raise you quite possibly the lamest remake/cover i can think of it has a little bit of everything cringe worthy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLub8uIo1nE

mdccclxix
11-20-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm wiped out from all the horrible music I've heard, but I'll say this, it's pretty clear cami came to this thread with a loaded deck of cards and we're just living in his world right now. When you want actual 'cringe worthy', you have to go to cami because yours is very beaten by his and it is very apparently not even close.

camisadelgolf
11-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Starship anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdj9NRzqC4
Possibly the worst mainstream band I've ever heard. "We Built This City" is such a guilty pleasure though.

marcshoe
11-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Will to Power's covers of Free Bird and Baby I Love Your Way. I refuse to perpetuate these offended to human and animal sensibilities by posting a video.

Oh what the heck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Y6-C-tKe8

I refuse to listen to it, though.

I can't believe they got permission for this from the surviving members of Skynard, Frampton, or Nietzsche.

Dom Heffner
11-20-2012, 08:51 PM
If someone can post Waiting for a Star to Fall, I think we may have a trifecta.

*BaseClogger*
11-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Limp Bizkit mastered the cringe-worthy cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEGI9NbH-mk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJBkgoQNZ1w

That said, Limp Bizkit is a guilty pleasure of mine... :D

camisadelgolf
11-21-2012, 01:48 AM
If someone can post Waiting for a Star to Fall, I think we may have a trifecta.
omgursorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxlAK8oKgdE

Dom Heffner
11-21-2012, 01:42 PM
omgursorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxlAK8oKgdE

That dude is so bald today...and the chick acting like she's singing some big rock song....that is indeed cringe-worthy.

Crumbley
11-24-2012, 08:37 PM
I can't deal with dubstep in a non ironic context.

Wonderful Monds
11-24-2012, 08:40 PM
I can't deal with dubstep in a non ironic context.

What is considered Dubstep to Americans, I agree. However, actual dubstep from where it originated in the UK is quite good, where it much more resembles ambient or minimalist house music.

I actually have no idea how the tag dubstep came to be applied to the music known in the US as dubstep.

Crumbley
11-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Can you link me to some proper dubstep?

Wonderful Monds
11-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Can you link me to some proper dubstep?

Burial is one of the more well known dubstep artists, and this is one of his more well known songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlEkvbRmfrA

OldRightHander
11-25-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm an Irish musician and love traditional Irish music. I can also handle rock at times. What I can't stand is bands that try to mix the two. If I listen to an Irish band, I don't want to hear electric guitars or a drum set. If I want to hear those instruments, I'll listen to something contemporary.

Crumbley
11-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Burial is one of the more well known dubstep artists, and this is one of his more well known songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlEkvbRmfrA
Not bad, a far cry from the likes of Skrillex.

Larry Schuler
11-25-2012, 02:43 PM
I love Ethiopian pan flute just as much as the next guy and I love timpani probably more than anything else in life but I don't want to hear them at the same time. Capiche, Ethiopian pan flute timpani fusion bands?

Johnny Footstool
11-25-2012, 02:46 PM
I love Ethiopian pan flute just as much as the next guy and I love timpani probably more than anything else in life but I don't want to hear them at the same time. Capiche, Ethiopian pan flute timpani fusion bands?

I know! It's like, come ON, guys!

Yachtzee
11-25-2012, 05:21 PM

David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and uh...
Nigel Tufnel: Clever.
David St. Hubbins: Yeah, and clever.

OldRightHander
11-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Ok, I know my comment seemed rather open to poking fun at, and I don't blame anyone, but for some reason that infusion of Irish and other Celtic music styles with rock just doesn't sit too well with me. I can't explain why, but when I hear it something just seems a bit off, like that type of rhythm section just doesn't fit with the tunes that are being played and it grates on my nerves.

Captain13
11-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Ok, I know my comment seemed rather open to poking fun at, and I don't blame anyone, but for some reason that infusion of Irish and other Celtic music styles with rock just doesn't sit too well with me. I can't explain why, but when I hear it something just seems a bit off, like that type of rhythm section just doesn't fit with the tunes that are being played and it grates on my nerves.

Then you probably don't want to switch to the heavy-metal forum and listen to Alestorm, the British folk-metal band who only do pirate songs. I can't make this stuff up, I can only report it...truth is stranger than fiction.

OldRightHander
11-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Then you probably don't want to switch to the heavy-metal forum and listen to Alestorm, the British folk-metal band who only do pirate songs. I can't make this stuff up, I can only report it...truth is stranger than fiction.

I'm not into metal anyway. Some of the sailor songs from the 18th century are kind of catchy though. A lot of material there.

marcshoe
11-27-2012, 12:31 PM
I take it you're not a fan of Flogging Molly. Or even Slade, really.

OldRightHander
11-27-2012, 12:55 PM
I take it you're not a fan of Flogging Molly. Or even Slade, really.

I'm pretty much into the traditional artists. I could listen to Matt Molloy all day long.

marcshoe
11-27-2012, 01:57 PM
I grew up listening to Tommy Makemand The Clancy Brothers. Great grandparents were Irish.

Tony Cloninger
12-08-2012, 11:16 PM

That is low class....

Dom Heffner
01-12-2015, 01:56 PM
Taylor Swift's 1989 with some heavy, heavy sales.....and she's not on pizza boxes this time. Wonder how she is fooling all these people...

Kilgore_Trout
01-12-2015, 02:13 PM
What about Fall Out Boy? I don't know how many more times I can stand hearing the "remember MEEE for centurIEEEs" refrain on ESPN before my eyes pop out of my head.

There's some cold irony in all of this, of course. My girlfriend, the light of my existence, is in love with that band.

There is no God.

Tony Cloninger
01-13-2015, 11:23 AM

Thanks! I was 13 years old....I had to get out some energy and angst someway.....and Coltrane was not going to do it. :laugh:

dougdirt
01-13-2015, 02:19 PM
Fall Out Boy. My goodness. They used to make good music once upon a time. Now I just want to rip my ears off when I hear anything they've made in the last 7 years.

I could listen to 1989 all day long and be thrilled about it. T-Swift is awesome.

Kingspoint
01-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Cringe-worthy?

Any musician that believes "volume" equals "quality". See: Mariah Carey, for example.

jimbo
01-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Fall Out Boy. My goodness. They used to make good music once upon a time. Now I just want to rip my ears off when I hear anything they've made in the last 7 years.

I could listen to 1989 all day long and be thrilled about it. T-Swift is awesome.

Oh Gawd, the song ESPN used for their CFP promos was like nails on a chalkboard. I don't know if it's because ESPN killed it by it's extreme overuse, or if it's the song itself. I know I had to start muting it or changing the channel the every 5 minutes it came on.