PDA

View Full Version : Lucas-Disney

Raisor
10-30-2012, 09:51 PM
blah blah blah, 4+ billion dollars...blah blah..Episode VII in 2015.

savafan
10-30-2012, 10:14 PM
I must be the only one excited about this. Star Wars movies under the control of someone not named George Lucas!

Dom Heffner
10-30-2012, 10:51 PM
The last three were so bad...who cares?

Caveat Emperor
10-30-2012, 11:06 PM

Put the source material in the hands of a quality director / idea man -- ala Joss Whedon & the Avengers or J.J. Abrams & Star Trek -- and the potential is still there for good stuff.

Just because Lucas is a ham-fisted hack who bought into all his own hype doesn't mean someone else can't do good work.

Dom Heffner
10-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Put the source material in the hands of a quality director / idea man -- ala Joss Whedon & the Avengers or J.J. Abrams & Star Trek -- and the potential is still there for good stuff.

Just because Lucas is a ham-fisted hack who bought into all his own hype doesn't mean someone else can't do good work.

Yeah....I just don't believe in redemption...those were among the worst movies I've ever seen.

Caveat Emperor
10-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Yeah....I just don't believe in redemption...those were among the worst movies I've ever seen.

James Bond survived "The Living Daylights," Star Trek survived Captain Kirk Meets God, Batman survived the Nippled Batsuit & Arnold Schwarzenegger -- those are lows at least on par with Jar Jar Binks, IMO.

Dom Heffner
10-30-2012, 11:30 PM
James Bond survived "The Living Daylights," Star Trek survived Captain Kirk Meets God, Batman survived the Nippled Batsuit & Arnold Schwarzenegger -- those are lows at least on par with Jar Jar Binks, IMO.

Very true...if Lucas isn't involved it may happen...my feeling is he'll still be involved.

KronoRed
10-31-2012, 01:04 AM
The Living Daylights was a good movie, the worst bond movie was the one from 4 years ago.

I don't really care about ep 7, 8 and 9 after how awful 1,2 and 3 were, but I do like to think the OT without the Lucas edits will now see the light of day on bluray, and then of course go in the vault for 30 years.

Redsfaithful
10-31-2012, 02:04 AM
My boys will be 7 and 5 in 2015, which I think is just great timing for a new Star Wars movie.

Also, Disney has done a pretty good job owning Marvel so far, so I'm optimistic.

medford
10-31-2012, 08:47 AM
On top of that, I'll assume this will be the answer to Disney's failed effort making Potter world, and Universal's hugely successfully creation of Potter World after Disney punted. Disney was going to creat Avatar Land at Animal Kingdom, but it never seemed to get much traction and I believe was recently scrapped. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the reason why it was scrapped. Star Wars world (or whatever they call it) w/n one of their parks will be hugely successful and help bring back a fan base that had been going to Universal instead.

Rock of Truth
10-31-2012, 09:40 AM
I am sure there will be plenty of "I've got a bad feeling about this" jokes running around, but I like the idea of Disney and Star Wars. My take is that it cannot however be another Avengers in outer space. I think the Star Wars series needs to be more story driven and less action dependent. I like how Disney has kept Pirates of the Caribbean fresh with the new story line in episode 4.

Star Wars 1, 2 and 3 had to fill a need. There was a certain end point that they had to get to ie. Anakin becomes Darth Vader. For Disney, there is now a blank canvas.

KronoRed
10-31-2012, 05:53 PM
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/5728820_700b.jpg

Joseph
10-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Huge Star Wars fan here, I'm excited by the whole deal and can't wait to see what comes about with 2015 and the new series. I hope there are at least a nod to the Original Trilogy, maybe Luke and Han and Leia in positions of authority in the new Republic mentoring a new generation of Jedi etc.

savafan
10-31-2012, 08:53 PM
And Mara Jade :)

Caveat Emperor
10-31-2012, 09:05 PM
And Mara Jade :)

Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn? Life isn't fair enough to allow that to happen.

Raisor
10-31-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm terribly excited

RBA
10-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Disney makes quality space movies. Remember that classic, The Black Hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzUJJKDa558

Caveat Emperor
10-31-2012, 09:59 PM
The Black Hole is one of those "so bad it's good" classics.

Redsfan320
11-01-2012, 07:37 AM
Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn? Life isn't fair enough to allow that to happen.

Right you are. (http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/10/31/star-wars-episode-7-will-be-original-story-report-says/)

Slyder
11-01-2012, 08:00 AM

If anyone can figure out how to top that botchfest of a prequil its Disney... Consider this Star Wars fan concerned.

RichRed
11-01-2012, 11:40 AM
The Black Hole is one of those "so bad it's good" classics.

I don't know. I tried re-watching it a couple years ago and it was more like "so boring I'm falling asleep."

Rojo
11-01-2012, 06:06 PM

Ouch. The man only created the most popular movie series ever -- movies that captured the imagination of generations of filmgoers, ingrained themselves into popular culture worldwide and changed how Hollywood worked, from financing to special effects to marketing.

Star Wars, which Lucas directed, was the 8th largest grossing movie -- in 1997!

KronoRed
11-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Right you are. (http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/10/31/star-wars-episode-7-will-be-original-story-report-says/)

This is for the best, the Star Wars EU is a behemoth that needs to be left to the books.

KronoRed
11-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Ouch. The man only created the most popular movie series ever -- movies that captured the imagination of generations of filmgoers, ingrained themselves into popular culture worldwide and changed how Hollywood worked, from financing to special effects to marketing.

Star Wars, which Lucas directed, was the 8th largest grossing movie -- in 1997!

True, but he works better when someone can help mold his story, it's not a coincidence that Empire, considered the best of the lot, was directed by someone else with others helping write it.

Lucas brought us this great romantic line:
"I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything's soft, and smooth" :laugh:

Caveat Emperor
11-01-2012, 09:16 PM
True, but he works better when someone can help mold his story, it's not a coincidence that Empire, considered the best of the lot, was directed by someone else with others helping write it.

Lucas is a brilliant dude, but he's big-idea and visual guy that really doesn't have a sense for the written or spoken word. Empire is night-and-day better than even the original Star Wars in terms of pacing and dialogue, and it's like comparing Picasso to finger-painting when you compare Empire to the prequels.

Really the only thing that saved the prequels from being complete, unmitigated disasters is that Lucas called in Tom Stoppard to do an uncredited re-write of the script for Revenge of the Sith.

Dom Heffner
11-01-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't know. I tried re-watching it a couple years ago and it was more like "so boring I'm falling asleep."

My mother gave me a Black Hole action figure for Christmas one year. It was Harry Booth, played by Ernest Borgnine.

She thought I could play along with my Star Wars figures.

I used him as the experiment doll, putting him in the freezer and blowong him up with firecrackers.

That was the worst figure ever.

Yachtzee
11-07-2012, 04:32 PM
I hope Disney can bring in some writers and actors who can make the next films enjoyable. Part of the charm of the original trilogy was the interplay of the characters. Han, Luke, Leia, Obi Wan, Chewbacca, and Yoda were great and Harrison Ford, Mark Hammill, Carrie Fisher, and Alex Guinness were perfect for their roles. Even Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian was great. Meanwhile, the writing for Episodes I-III was so bad, not even Samuel L. Jackson seemed able to breath life into his character.

I'm optimistic because I like what Disney did with the Pirates of the Caribbean and the Marvel films.

OldRightHander
11-27-2012, 12:19 PM
I
I'm optimistic because I like what Disney did with the Pirates of the Caribbean and the Marvel films.

Put the same folks to work on this who did The Avengers.

marcshoe
11-27-2012, 10:39 PM
I saw the other day that Lawrence Kasdan s rumored to co-write. That's very good news -- and not just because he's from WV and directed Mumford (although I loved Mumford.)

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/star-wars-episodes-viii-and-ix-get-screenwriters

RedsBaron
12-04-2012, 09:53 PM
The Living Daylights was a good movie, the worst bond movie was the one from 4 years ago.

The worst ever Bond movies were Diamonds Are Forever (1971), A View To A Kill (1985) and Die Another Day (2003).
I loved Star Wars, I liked Empire Strikes Back, I thought Return of the Jedi was okay--and there hasn't been a decent Star Wars movie since. There hasn't been a George Lucas movie of any kind worth watching in over 20 years IMHO.

*BaseClogger*
12-05-2012, 09:08 AM
The worst ever Bond movies were Diamonds Are Forever (1971), A View To A Kill (1985) and Die Another Day (2003).
I loved Star Wars, I liked Empire Strikes Back, I thought Return of the Jedi was okay--and there hasn't been a decent Star Wars movie since. There hasn't been a George Lucas movie of any kind worth watching in over 20 years IMHO.

Eh, I really enjoy watching A View to a Kill because it's so damn campy and features Christopher Walken as the villain.

Empire Strikes Back is generally considered the best of the Star Wars movies too...

RedsBaron
12-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Empire Strikes Back is generally considered the best of the Star Wars movies too...

Oh I know that but I just liked the original Star Wars, the one where Han shoots first, better. At times the repeated refrain in "Empire" from Darth Vader about Luke's "destiny" starts to bore me. One thing I do agree with the critics on: The Phantom Menace was easily the worst of the film series.

OldRightHander
12-05-2012, 01:39 PM
I love this ad at the bottom of the screen for High Quality Combat Ready Light Sabers. I'd like to know what they mean by combat ready.

WMR
12-05-2012, 03:05 PM
The last of the new films was pretty good, IMO.

The first two were more bad than good.

*BaseClogger*
12-05-2012, 10:20 PM
I've got my fingers crossed for a Lando Calrissian spinoff movie! C'mon, Disney!

dougdirt
12-06-2012, 02:55 AM
I love this ad at the bottom of the screen for High Quality Combat Ready Light Sabers. I'd like to know what they mean by combat ready.

They will cut off hands.

Tony Cloninger
12-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Oh I know that but I just liked the original Star Wars, the one where Han shoots first, better. At times the repeated refrain in "Empire" from Darth Vader about Luke's "destiny" starts to bore me. One thing I do agree with the critics on: The Phantom Menace was easily the worst of the film series.

The original, as most are of any movie trilogy, usually are the best....save for the new Batman, which was good but not as good as the next two.

The first one was telling a story without worrying about what action figures or new fuzzy characters to force upon you.

Slyder
12-09-2012, 12:43 AM

Just shows how different people can see the same thing and think something completely different. I thought Phantom Menace was actually the best of the 3 "prequils" and for me its not even close. There was way too much emphasis on the one thing that had to happen or else the entire series doesn't make sense.

For Me:
1 Return of the Jedi
2 A New Hope
3 Phantom Menace
4 Empire Strikes Back
5 Attack of the Clones (for the Yoda Fight scene alone keeps it out of the bottom)
6 Revenge of the Sith

Joseph
12-09-2012, 01:36 PM
1 Empire Strikes Back
2 A New Hope
3 Return of the Jedi
4 Attack of the Clones
5 Revenge of the Sith
6 Phantom Menace

Slyder you're the first person Ive ever heard say that ANY of the prequel trilogy were better than Empire. Typically Empire is viewed as the best of all, so to see you have it 4th is a new one for this old Star Wars junkie.

Slyder
12-09-2012, 01:47 PM
1 Empire Strikes Back
2 A New Hope
3 Return of the Jedi
4 Attack of the Clones
5 Revenge of the Sith
6 Phantom Menace

Slyder you're the first person Ive ever heard say that ANY of the prequel trilogy were better than Empire. Typically Empire is viewed as the best of all, so to see you have it 4th is a new one for this old Star Wars junkie.

Maybe I'm blinded by the fact that when Spike shows the SW movies they never show the prequils (or that I never watch them) but Revenge to me with the exception of the ending just drags out for me.

I also like to go against popular ideas :D.

improbus
12-10-2012, 07:06 PM
1) Empire (except for Luke screaming NOOOO!!! That always bothered me).
2) New Hope (I still get goosebumps at the binary sun scene).
3) Return of the Jedi (Take that E.T.!)
4) Revenge of the Sith (I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either)
5) Phantom Menace (I didn't hate it as much as everyone. It does have Greg Proops, which is a positive.)
6) Attack of the Clones: The love scene is the worst ever written. It is that simple. Not only is it not romantic or even passably warm, but it is beyond creepy.

MilotheMayor
01-24-2013, 07:32 PM
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/722154430.jpg?key=1382589&Expires=1359074920&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=xsrkJQygJMBKYBsw~djtT4e~gRt7v--7ExnrvxVs8EhoHo9kEA4NAPNdoxfhecyif0NkgPJ22mE51GE4M fdaLjBQb4X3pB4Z7gLp33c4z28N07LD58ZajDZrFHS5nhC9E0H m2qFtPDTCOw1P3dIwRlaFACZb4LS4cb4lQJ50-oA_

Degenerate39
01-24-2013, 08:11 PM
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Revenge of The Sith
4. Return of The Jedi
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

Razor Shines
01-25-2013, 12:52 AM
JJ will direct the new Star Wars movie.
http://m.deadline.com/2013/01/j-j-abrams-to-direct-new-star-wars-movie-for-disney/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain13
01-25-2013, 09:37 AM
1. A New Hope
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Phantom Menace
5. Attack of the Clones
6. Revenge of the Sith

I love the story in A New Hope, Jedi, and Phantom Menace. I don't like the story telling in Clones or Sith. Empire is a ton of fun, but I think it lacks in good story. Just my take.

Ohayou
02-05-2013, 09:36 PM
A Yoda-Jar Jar buddy cop movie directed by Richard Donner, now that would be something.

KronoRed
02-06-2013, 03:00 AM
A Yoda-Jar Jar buddy cop movie directed by Richard Donner, now that would be something.

I don't know what plan JJ and minions have, but this has to be better :D

Yachtzee
02-10-2013, 11:59 PM

"Too old for this bleep I am."

JayBruceFan
02-11-2013, 12:55 AM
Am I the only one that wants to see a "Shadows of the Empire" movie?

On that note, Dash Rendar would beat Han Solo any day (Ducks and runs away from the fanboys)

wolfboy
02-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Am I the only one that wants to see a "Shadows of the Empire" movie?

On that note, Dash Rendar would beat Han Solo any day (Ducks and runs away from the fanboys)

Absolutely loved the game on N64. Once I get the time (probably never), I'm gonna hook up the N64 and play it again.

KoryMac5
02-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Rumor has it they are looking to do some character driven solo projects focusing on Han Solo as well as Boba-Fett project. Rumor also has it that Disney has been pitched a Seven Samurai project by Snyder starring several Jedi Knights. Good news for the franchise to have new ideas coming in to help reinvigorate it. Hopefully the best of those ideas rise to the top.

savafan
02-15-2013, 08:33 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/02/15/harrison-ford-to-return-as-han-solo-in-star-wars-vii/1923683/

Hot news for Han Solo fans!

Latino Review reporter Umberto "El Mayimbe" Gonzalez appeared on Fox News Latino today to break the news that Harrison Ford will definitely be back to reprise the role in Star Wars VII, slated for 2015.

Degenerate39
02-15-2013, 10:27 PM
I have a feeling I'm going to get tired of Star Wars pretty quickly

Captain Hook
02-15-2013, 11:36 PM
1. A New Hope
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Revenge of The Sith
4. Return of The Jedi
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

Phantom Menace probably still slips in to my all time top 20 favorite movies of any kind.

Joseph
02-16-2013, 09:45 AM
I have a feeling I'm going to get tired of Star Wars pretty quickly

I love Star Wars, LOVE it, but my excitement for new stories and new films is tempered with the oversaturation of a product that is already fairly heavy in terms of exposure as it is. I mean we haven't had a new movie in years yet there are still full sections of toy stores full of Star Wars toys. Merchandise is everywhere.

If we start getting movies about Boba Fett and Han Solo ala Wolverine, it likely will be overkill. Not to mention, I don't really want to see some slick Hollywood kid playing a young Han Solo.

I'd rather it be the development of new characters at least, then it'll feel like a continuation of story line and not just a re-hash of it ala Spiderman and other continual reboots we see in the comic world.

savafan
02-16-2013, 12:25 PM
I mean we haven't had a new movie in years yet there are still full sections of toy stores full of Star Wars toys. Merchandise is everywhere.

Not all, but many of those toys are relative to the Clone Wars television show and the Angry Birds game.