PDA

View Full Version : Who would be willing to trade Chapman + other prospects for David Wright

RedTruck
10-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Apparently there are David Wright rumors regarding a possible trade acquisition from the Reds.

I would probably be okay with trading Chapman + Hamilton + Cingrini for Wright.

No one can deny that having a 3, 4, 5 of Wright, Votto, and Bruce would be nothing short of awesome.

MoneyInTheBank
10-31-2012, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't do it. Especially because Wright would be a rental. No guarantee he would re-sign or the Reds could even afford to re-sign him

HometownHero
10-31-2012, 06:11 PM
If we had a bigger payroll I would do it, David Wright would be back to being a superstar if he played half his games in GABP. But since we have a weak payroll we need to keep all the cost controlled guys we can with our current big contracts about to kick in.

Helms1
10-31-2012, 06:22 PM
I would not trade Chapman for Wright. Sign Chapman long term. Superstar in 5 years.

Red Raindog
10-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Apparently there are David Wright rumors regarding a possible trade acquisition from the Reds.

No one can deny that having a 3, 4, 5 of Wright, Votto, and Bruce would be nothing short of awesome.

Ooops -- didn't see that there are two threads on the same topic -- but he is my reply:

I don't know where you saw the rumor about Wright & the Reds ---- but he would be very costly to the payroll unless the Reds only try to hold him for one year --- I believe the Mets picked up his option for 2013 at $16 million -- and givvng up a boatload of talent for one year at $16 M is not a move I would make

vin19
11-01-2012, 01:18 AM

I wouldn't make that trade. it looks better than what we gave for latos!!

Wright is on a one year deal he's not gonna be that expensive especially with how much he's getting paid

and the rumor is coming from bleecher report and espn.
but espn is just suggesting teams that would be a good fit for wright

webbbj
11-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Jesus redtruck want to add anyone else in that trade? If the trade is Chapman for Wright straight up I think the Mets owe us some more if anything.

KYRedLeg
11-01-2012, 08:56 AM
What is with fans completely undervaluing Reds players and prospects? Why would you give up a star closer for a one year rental, let alone throwing in your #1 prospect and better-than-decent pitcher?

That's like going to buy a car, seeing the sticker price of $18,000 and offering the dealership $20,000.

Larkin88
11-01-2012, 12:53 PM

Chapman as a part of a lesser package or straight up... maybe. Chapman as a part of a package with Cingrani and Hamilton? Absolutely not.

Just my opinion, of course.

Larkin88
11-01-2012, 12:55 PM
What is with fans completely undervaluing Reds players and prospects? Why would you give up a star closer for a one year rental, let alone throwing in your #1 prospect and better-than-decent pitcher?

That's like going to buy a car, seeing the sticker price of $18,000 and offering the dealership $20,000.

Perfect turn of phrase. :beerme:

I will say that I think most speculation is assuming the Reds would be able to extend Wright. You are, of course, correct that there is no guarantee of that. But when people are proposing packages like this, I believe that is the assumption for the purposes of speculating.

texasdave
11-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Jesus redtruck want to add anyone else in that trade? If the trade is Chapman for Wright straight up I think the Mets owe us some more if anything.

Quoting John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious?!". David Wright is certainly worth more than Aroldis Chapman.

TeamSelig
11-01-2012, 10:50 PM
I'd probably do Frazier + Cingrini + Leake

nmculbreth
11-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Quoting John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious?!". David Wright is certainly worth more than Aroldis Chapman.

In a vacuum, sure.

If Wright and Chapman had identical contracts you could argue Wright is more valuable, particularly if Chapman is to remain in the pen. But the contracts aren't equal - the Reds have Chapman under control through 2016 and Wright's contract only runs through 2013. Even if the Reds were able to secure a LTC with Wright they'd have to pay him fair market value and I think you could make a very strong argument Chapman offers far more value at his arbitration prices than Wright at full market value.

The idea of dealing Chapman, Hamilton and Cingrani / Corcino for one year of Wright is the height of insanity.

R_Webb18
11-02-2012, 12:05 AM
In a vacuum, sure.

If Wright and Chapman had identical contracts you could argue Wright is more valuable, particularly if Chapman is to remain in the pen. But the contracts aren't equal - the Reds have Chapman under control through 2016 and Wright's contract only runs through 2013. Even if the Reds were able to secure a LTC with Wright they'd have to pay him fair market value and I think you could make a very strong argument Chapman offers far more value at his arbitration prices than Wright at full market value.

The idea of dealing Chapman, Hamilton and Cingrani / Corcino for one year of Wright is the height of insanity.

+1

scott91575
11-02-2012, 01:25 AM

Not on a 1 year, $16 million contract he is not.

cooperlamar
11-02-2012, 08:49 AM
In a vacuum, sure.

Exactly. If I'm Walt, it would take a heck of a lot to get Chapman.

mivers176
11-02-2012, 09:25 AM
I definitely wouldnt give up what the OP suggested but dang D Wright is exactly the type of hitter this offense needs in between JV and JB! Good average, contact, low K's, etc ... and he'd definitely get back to 30 hr or so in GABP. But not willing to give away the future for it ...

alett12
11-02-2012, 10:52 AM
No way would I make that trade. I wouldn't trade Chapman for any player in baseball honestly, he is one of the best players to get people to come to the stadium much better than Wright. As for the rest of that trade I would not want to see Hamilton go anywhere. He is the future leadoff hitter and is probably the most dynamic game changing player in the minor leagues.

5TimeWSChamps
11-05-2012, 06:28 AM
$8,000,000 total for Chapman over the next 3 years may be the best bargain in baseball.

It's absolutely ludicrous to consider trading him. He's not going anywhere

alett12
11-05-2012, 11:40 AM
$8,000,000 total for Chapman over the next 3 years may be the best bargain in baseball.

Exactly

texasdave
11-05-2012, 04:17 PM

Your money figure is wrong.

nmculbreth
11-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Your money figure is wrong.

You are correct.

Per Cot's (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/?page_id=109): Chapman's contract allows him to opt for arbitration after 2013 and when he does so his $3mil salary for 2014 will be converted into a bonus which must be paid in addition to the salary determined by the arbitration process.

So based on my understanding of the term's of Chapman's deal his salary structure will be as follows:

2014: 1st year of arbitration + $3mil bonus
2015: 2nd year of arbitration
2016: 3rd year of arbitration
2017: Free agent

bounty37h
11-06-2012, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't even be willing to take a phone call on the proposed trade in the OP.

Hondo
11-09-2012, 03:48 PM

That would be an awful trade for the Reds to make... Wright is a sure handed third-baseman but that is way too much to give...

Cingrini is going to be a STUD. Hamilton is your Future CF, and Chapman needs to stay the Closer in my opinion...

I hope the Reds don't do what the Rangers did with Neftali Perez and bring back Chapman to the Rotation... I think it spells trouble...

I think the Reds should trade some pices for David Price... Team control for a few years and gives you a TRUE #1 and a Left Hander (besides Cingrini) ... Keep Chapman th Closer...