PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce extension

panzecaz03
11-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Jay Bruce apparently wants to add 6 more years to his contract!

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?c_id=cin&content_id=40295614&vkey=news_cin&ymd=20121115

New York Red
11-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Sign him up! :beerme:

dubc47834
11-15-2012, 01:17 PM
I like Jay Bruce, but I think the reds need to wait to see his production over the year or two. I know it is a gamble, but if he doesn't improve, then is he worth the money? If he does improve he will probly be commanding more money, so it is a gamble either way. Make no mistake about it tho...I want Jay Bruce here for his whole career.

RedTruck
11-15-2012, 01:21 PM
I like Jay Bruce, but I think the reds need to wait to see his production over the year or two. I know it is a gamble, but if he doesn't improve, then is he worth the money? If he does improve he will probly be commanding more money, so it is a gamble either way. Make no mistake about it tho...I want Jay Bruce here for his whole career.

If he doesn't improve..30 HR, 100 RBI (almost hit the mark this year), Gold Glove Defense, Could be the best player in MLB when on hot streak, still young.

He's a safe bet IMO. Lock him up.

New York Red
11-15-2012, 02:02 PM
He has increased his HR total in each of his five seasons (21, 22, 25, 32, 34), as well as his RBI total (52, 58, 70, 97, 99). I'd call that improving. By the way, Bruce is the only player in MLB history to hit 20+ HR as a rookie, and then increase his HR total each of the next four years.

vin19
11-15-2012, 02:11 PM
get him locked up, imo he is only improving and if we wait he will only cost more

[deleted]
11-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Bruce's power is trending up, but his AVG, OBP, and WAR have fallen each of the last three years, and his strikeout rate has risen. Defensive metrics (however much stock you put in them) have also gone down in three consecutive years. Just playing devil's advocate.

The DARK
11-15-2012, 02:32 PM
;2777539']Bruce's power is trending up, but his AVG, OBP, and WAR have fallen each of the last three years, and his strikeout rate has risen. Defensive metrics (however much stock you put in them) have also gone down in three consecutive years. Just playing devil's advocate.

You do make a valid point. I'd like to see one more year of production before I start throwing numbers around.

New York Red
11-15-2012, 02:33 PM
;2777539']Bruce's power is trending up, but his AVG, OBP, and WAR have fallen each of the last three years, and his strikeout rate has risen. Defensive metrics (however much stock you put in them) have also gone down in three consecutive years. Just playing devil's advocate.
To be fair, our hitters rarely improve much once they reach the MLB level. Whether it's Dusty or Jacoby, or both, it's an obvious trend. I'll take the improvements Jay has made and, considering his age, lock him up long term. By no means do I consider him a finished product.

Salukifan2
11-15-2012, 02:34 PM
He'll cost around 15 mil right? Man this team has the potential to get really expensive really fast

MoneyInTheBank
11-15-2012, 06:15 PM
He's signed through 2016 with a club option for 2017. There is absolutely no rush to get this done. The only advantage for the Reds would be to increase flexibility.

smixsell
11-15-2012, 08:09 PM
To be fair, our hitters rarely improve much once they reach the MLB level. Whether it's Dusty or Jacoby, or both, it's an obvious trend. I'll take the improvements Jay has made and, considering his age, lock him up long term. By no means do I consider him a finished product.

Spot on. PS This is one of the most damaging indictments against Dusty and/or Jacoby IMO.

panzecaz03
11-16-2012, 01:13 AM
I was thinking maybe $75M/5yr