PDA

View Full Version : The Autograph Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Dom Heffner
11-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Anyone collect? Big names?

I have a pretty sizable collection that I am trying to downsize a bit to focus on more high value signatures (keeps me from buying a bunch of nobodys and preserves wall space).

If anyone else collects would love to hear about any items or experiences you have had in getting them.

I think the highest value ones I have are Madonna, Brando, Michael Jackson and David Bowie.

My personal favorite is a self portrait/sketch by Phil Collins of himself playing drums. It was owned by a pretty famous soccer player and he donated it to charity and I won. Love that thing.

westofyou
11-20-2012, 03:34 PM
I have never asked anyone for one myself, had a Roberto Clemente one once on a ball.

Yeah I ruined it

redsfanmia
11-20-2012, 03:40 PM
I have 2 that I asked for Johhny Bench at a book signing for his master piece Catch you later and former ABA Pacer great Roger Brown.

Dom Heffner
11-20-2012, 03:46 PM
I have 2 that I asked for Johhny Bench at a book signing for his master piece Catch you later and former ABA Pacer great Roger Brown.

When I worked at WCKY I was in a room with just Johnny Bench and me for about five minutes.

I never asked for an autograph. Never even brought up baseball.

I don't even know if I said anything.

westofyou
11-20-2012, 03:46 PM
I don't even know if I said anything.

Soooo..... how's Miss Vicki?

Dom Heffner
11-20-2012, 03:47 PM
I was producing the talk show he was on- I shook his hand and I don't remember much else, other than I couldn't stop thinking that hey, that's Johnny Bench.

redsfanmia
11-20-2012, 03:57 PM
I was producing the talk show he was on- I shook his hand and I don't remember much else, other than I couldn't stop thinking that hey, that's Johnny Bench.

My conversation was Hey kid what's your name, I told him Bobby and my longer hair must have made him think I was female because he spelled it Bobbie.

reds1869
11-20-2012, 09:19 PM
I have a pretty decent collection of baseball autographs, my favorites being a Pete Rose baseball and a pretty hard to come by Ichiro autograph. I have quite a few entertainment related autographs as well. I don't usually ask in person but I have some autographs of pro athletes I grew up with.

OldRightHander
11-20-2012, 11:10 PM
I have two that are still intact, Phil Keaggy and Joe Nuxhall.

cumberlandreds
11-21-2012, 08:57 AM
In 1976 I got George Foster,Ed Armbrister and Manny Sarmiento's autgraph at Riverfront. When I went through the gates an usher handed me a card if I wanted to get autographs and told me where to go to. I wnet and stood in line for a while and finally they came. I think everyone was surprised that Foster was there. We were all saying we get nothing but scrub players.
I also wrote to Johnny Bench and Roger Staubach and received autograph pictures back from those two. Also my brother got me one of those Reds highlight records from the 75 or 76 seasons back then. He bought it at some book store in the Cincy area. Marty and Joe were there that day autographing the records. So that made it neat to have. I remember covering it in plastic so the autographs wouldn't wear away.

WMR
11-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Honus Wagner

RichRed
11-21-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm not a collector but I do have a baseball autographed by Johnny Bench and one autographed by the immortal Steve "Rainbow" Trout.

Also, when I was a kid and rabid Redskins fan, I thought Joe Theismann was the greatest QB who ever lived (I know, I know). My dad went out and bought Theismann's book, "Quarterbacking," then stood in line at an appearance at a Va. Beach mall to get him to autograph it. He surprised my brother and me with it. Back then, I thought it was one of the coolest things my dad could've done, and I still think it's pretty cool.

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/12855/4dda4861e9932_12855s.jpg

George Anderson
11-21-2012, 12:59 PM
In the early to mid 80's I used to send off post cards to baseball players home addesses and had them return it in a self addressed stamp envelope. Off the top of my head I got

Willie Mays
Hank Aaron
Ted Williams
Joe DiMaggio
Pee Wee Reese
Sadaharu Oh
Stan Coveleski
Leo Durocher
Monte Irvin
Burleigh Grimes
Preacher Roe
Mike Schmidt
George Brett
Phil Rizzuto
Joe Nuxhall
Joe Charboneau
Gary Carter
Ray Morehart--Last living member of 27' Yanks
Sparky Anderson
Steve Sax
Ron Cey
Steve Garvey
Craig Nettles
Carl Erskine
Hank Greenberg
Charlie Gehringer

Oh and a autograph phote from the actor that played Ernest T Bass on The Andy Griffith Show.

marcshoe
11-21-2012, 01:40 PM
I have an autographed picture of Mickey Mantle that isn't in great shape because I thought it was fake for more than a decade. Mantle was signing autographs before a minor league game, and I was late. I found an autographed picture on a table and thought it was a cheap stamp. Quite a while later I was going through a chest and noticed that the ink had smeared a little. A closer look showed that it was unquestionably real.

Dom Heffner
11-21-2012, 01:59 PM
I have an autographed picture of Mickey Mantle that isn't in great shape because I thought it was fake for more than a decade. Mantle was signing autographs before a minor league game, and I was late. I found an autographed picture on a table and thought it was a cheap stamp. Quite a while later I was going through a chest and noticed that the ink had smeared a little. A closer look showed that it was unquestionably real.

His signature is a dangerous investment....lots of fakes. If yours is real, great for you.

George Anderson
11-21-2012, 03:39 PM
His signature is a dangerous investment....lots of fakes. If yours is real, great for you.

Dimaggio is to.

I guess his sister signed his name alot.

I kinda think mine is fake.

Dom Heffner
11-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Dimaggio is to.

I guess his sister signed his name alot.

I kinda think mine is fake.

Ruth, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods.

All tough investments due to limited supply high demand.

Dom Heffner
11-21-2012, 05:39 PM
I have golf pro relatives who will personally testify Tiger Woods doesn't sign.

Other terrible signers?

Would you believe Will Ferrell?

Hardest one in Hollywood- it's so rare that if you got one, nobody would believe it's real.

BurgervilleBuck
11-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Tim Conway
Bill Cosby
Jerry Springer (from back when he was an anchor at WLWT-TV)
William Gibson (author of "Neuromancer")
Clive Barker
Kevin Smith
Most of the cast of MST3k (post-Comedy Central)
A bunch of Doctor Who autographs
Phil Esposito
Boomer Esiason
Anthony Munoz
Ron Harper
Most every Red that was at Redsfest 2008
Pete Rose
Johnny Bench

marcshoe
11-21-2012, 09:40 PM

He was present in the ballpark before the game signing autographs at the table where I picked up the picture. I was stupid to think it was a stamp, I guess, but I was probably about eleven or twelve at the time. I've never checked on value or anything; I kind of assumed that he signed so much, doing minor league tours and the likes, that it was pretty common. I'll have to check it out.

Dom Heffner
11-21-2012, 10:45 PM
He was present in the ballpark before the game signing autographs at the table where I picked up the picture. I was stupid to think it was a stamp, I guess, but I was probably about eleven or twelve at the time. I've never checked on value or anything; I kind of assumed that he signed so much, doing minor league tours and the likes, that it was pretty common. I'll have to check it out.

I love stories like this.

One of my neighbors was talking today about autographs and he said he had only one: Neil Armstrong.

Checked it out and it's probably worth 12 grand.

He has one. And it's a freaking doozy.

I've been collecting for years, I have over a hundred and they are all pretty good names. Not one anywhere near that kind of value.

Neil Armstrong hasn't signed autographs in 30 years and he just passed away, which means the market is pretty limited.

Dom Heffner
11-21-2012, 11:11 PM

The fact he was at a ballpark signing for people is terrific.

Someone like, say, Mick Jagger knows his autograph is an $800 value- so he now just refuses to sign and basically sells his signature on prints on the Stones website.

They had a signing of 1000 posters which sell for 2 grand a set.

That's 2 million in signature sales. Unreal.

And if you buy one you'll probably make out on the deal eventually.

edabbs44
11-22-2012, 08:11 AM
My father's cousin sold peanuts at Yankee Stadium in the 50s. He and another guy won a contest and won an autographed ball. He gave it to my father as a gift. For years we couldn't figure out why all these names were on the same ball. Speaker. DiMaggio. HR Baker. Foxx. Gomez. Hartnett. Waner. Mize. Frisch. I think roughly 20 HoFs.

Years go by and my father gets me a baseball book called Every Pitcher has a Story, or something to that effect. In there is a story and a letter from Nixon in 1955 to the Yankees thanking them for the invitation to Yankee Stadium hall of fame day. It named a ton of the guys who were on the ball and lined up with the explanation my father was given as to the origin of the ball. Pretty random. More random was that the letter was recently auctioned off. We were out bid but I thought it would have been great to pair with the ball.

The most upsetting part was two of the names on the letter who did not sign the ball. Ty Cobb and Cy Young. But we have most of the other names.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7051&lotIdNo=37116#75147514078

texasdave
11-22-2012, 08:47 AM
I have a Manute Bol. Only autograph I ever got. Saw him in a hotel lobby and I was awestruck.

improbus
11-22-2012, 09:30 AM
My dad got me a Yaz autograph at the 88 All Star game. But, I would never seek one. My cousin pitched I the majors and when he first got called up some of my uncles asked for an autograph. It was one of the most awkward things I can ever remember. I felt really bad for him.

I avoid awkward situations whenever possible (which is also why I can't watch George Costanza, almost any of Ben Stiller's work, or Curb, even though I know most if that stuff is funny).

Roy Tucker
11-22-2012, 12:00 PM
I have two that are still intact, Phil Keaggy and Joe Nuxhall.

My older brother snuck me into a bar circa 1968 up at Kent State twice (I was like... 16). Once we saw the James Gang and the other time was Glass Harp.

I thought Phil Keaggy was the greatest guitar player I'd ever seen.

OldRightHander
11-22-2012, 01:52 PM
My older brother snuck me into a bar circa 1968 up at Kent State twice (I was like... 16). Once we saw the James Gang and the other time was Glass Harp.

I thought Phil Keaggy was the greatest guitar player I'd ever seen.

I've seen him live 5 times, all in the 90s. One of those shows was at a church and I had a friend who attended that church. We hung around shooting the bull with him for about 45 minutes afterwards. He signed the liner for one of his CDs I had. The music's now on my iPod, but I haven't lost the CD or the case. The guy is phenomenal, acoustic or electric and his voice reminds me a lot of McCartney.

Patrick Bateman
11-22-2012, 01:59 PM
I would never sell any of the autographs because they only have sentimental value to me. When I see a celebrity, I try to get a picture instead because it means more to me. For example the fantastic Charlie Sheen picture to me left where he looks just awful.

I have also been on a pretty big luck streak in regards to NHL players the last year. Got my picture with kris Draper, Shea Weber, Jonathan Toews, Jeremy Roenick, the Blackawks GM, Calgary Flames GM, and various other less known Blackhawk players.

George Anderson
11-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Does anyone NOT have a Pete Rose autograph?

texasdave
11-22-2012, 10:19 PM

Bud Harrelson?

Dom Heffner
11-23-2012, 12:24 AM

I would doubt there are many fakes. He has signed thousands, hasn't he?

edabbs44
11-23-2012, 06:48 AM
I would doubt there are many fakes. He has signed thousands, hasn't he?

Probably much more than anyone would guess.

George Anderson
11-23-2012, 09:32 AM
I kinda figured since Pete has flooded the market with his autograph and with the whole supply and demand thing, his autograph wouldn't be worth as much as you would think. I however did a quick search of ebay and found an autographed ball with his signature on it goes for around $60 and an autographed picture goes for around $50. This really isn't to far off from what Bench gets which kinda suprised me because while Bench signs I seriously doubt if JB has signed even half of what Pete has signed over the years but Pete's autograph has still maintained a strong value.

Dom Heffner
11-23-2012, 10:33 AM
I kinda figured since Pete has flooded the market with his autograph and with the whole supply and demand thing, his autograph wouldn't be worth as much as you would think. I however did a quick search of ebay and found an autographed ball with his signature on it goes for around $60 and an autographed picture goes for around $50. This really isn't to far off from what Bench gets which kinda suprised me because while Bench signs I seriously doubt if JB has signed even half of what Pete has signed over the years but Pete's autograph has still maintained a strong value.

For being the all time hit leader, $60 is pretty bad.

I doubt you could get an authentic Kevin Bacon for that.

Gizmo
11-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Not a collector, but have gotten a few:
Marty Brennaman- HOF baseball
Archie Griffin signed photo
Bob Newhart- Newhart show shooting script for one episode
Chris Sabo? baseball (I bought this in the 90's and never had any authentication to prove it isn't fake)
2004 Bengals playoff cap signed by a few Bengals at '05 training camp, no big names.
Hockey puck signed by a couple Cincinnati Cyclones in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I used to have Dave Parker and Ron Oester signatures on separate pieces of paper, but those have long since been lost.
I also had a few Anthony Munoz signatures when we've seen him at Pizza Tower when he owned it.

Strikes Out Looking
12-10-2012, 05:39 PM
My best one is my Willie Mays baseball that I got him to sign at spring training. I also have a Hank Aaron and a Yaz that were given to me as gifts.

RedsBaron
12-17-2012, 07:46 PM
I've never really been a collector but I do have a very few.
I still have a 1969 Reds scorecard that was signed before a game by Pete Rose, Johnny Bench and Tony Perez.
I have a letter or two from the late Jack Kemp.
I have two Chuck Yeager autographs, including an autographed copy of one of his biographies that I know is genuine because he signed it while I was talking to him at a Yeager Scholars event at Marshall University.
I also have several Martina McBride autographs, including an autographed photo of Martina, my wife and me. Again I know that these autographs are genuine because I was talking with her when she signed each time.

dougdirt
12-18-2012, 01:21 AM
I have about 150 baseball autographs, maybe closer to 200. My favorite is an 8x10 Ken Griffey Jr. He is easily my favorite player of all time. I have a Jay Bruce autographed baseball that is also up there in my favorites. Stan Musial, Greg Maddux, Ozzie Smith and Frank Robinson are also among my favorites. Mat Hoffman (bmx bicycle rider) is my favorite and probably only non-baseball/football autograph. It ranks up there above plenty of my other sports autographs.

REDblooded
12-18-2012, 02:20 AM
My two favorites:

PSA/DNA Jay Bruce Rookie ball serial numbered as the 13th auto he had authenticated...

2004 All-Star Game Miguel Cabreara authenticated by Fleer as one out of 24... I got this in trade at a local (indianapolis) card shop for a few rookies and an Anthony Gonazlez auto'd rookie card.

Others include - Todd Frazier in gold pen, Devin Mesoraco, Homer Bailey, 2 more Jay Bruce's, Goose Gosage, Pete Rose, and Aroldis Chapman 2011 All-Star game ball...

Biggest snub? Easily trying to get Aroldis to personally sign a ball following a Louisville Bats game vs Indy Indians... He signed for a few Cubs fans (wearing jerseys) and gave me the aloof "Get lost" hand gesture after I somewhat chased him down respectfully (didn't interrupt his phone call) while wearing a Jay Bruce jersey and being nowhere within 50 feet of another fan. My wife still hates him due to the snub and Louis Vitton purse he was wearing...

Dom Heffner
12-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Ickey Woods snubbed me while taking the time to write down his phone number for the married woman next to me.

Still hate Ickey Woods.

cincyinco
12-22-2012, 05:06 AM
Joey Votto and Scott Rolen signed a cap for me a couple years ago. Aroldis Chapman signed a rookie card, an official mlb baseball, and my 6 week old son's Cincinnati Reds onesie for me a year ago. Also had it signed by Phillips, Frazier, Yonder Alonso, and Bill Bray if I'm not mistaken. I have collected various other Reds players over the years, but none of real consequence.. Other than Barry Larkin..

Ernie Banks is in my collection too..

That's about it for sports for me.. As far as music goes, I have the 3 members of Keane who I was fortunate enough to meet and snag pictures with... All members of The Stone Temple Pilots..

What I mainly have in my collection are Djs.. My sincerest passion and probably have little more than sentimental value... Chemical Brothers, Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk, Sasha, Digweed, Timo Maas, James Zebiela, Bingo Players, Richard Vision, Bad Boy Bill, Donald Glaud, Dieselboy, Dara, Ferry Corsten, Mark Farina, Jon Bishop, Reidspeed, Charles Feelgood, Kimball Collins, Josh Wink, etc... and hundreds more stashed away that I can't even recall off the top of my head right now. Names that mean the world to me, but probably nothing to the average person, especially if you don't listen to EDM.

dougdirt
12-25-2012, 04:05 PM
I added some guy named Frank Robinson to my collection this week. Maybe some of you have heard of him before.

Dom Heffner
01-02-2013, 12:33 AM
I love him because he reminds me of my dad. Frank os obe of my favorite Reds and I never saw him play.

HatchMo
01-02-2013, 09:43 AM
I was gifted these for Christmas to add to my collection. 6389

fearofpopvol1
12-11-2013, 01:56 AM
I am finally deciding to add my list. I don't think it's anything special, but maybe as a collection it is worth something.

Bruce Springsteen
Sting
Rod Stewart
Jimmy Carter
Dolly Parton
Taylor Swift
Elvis Costello
Katie Holmes
Lauren Bacall
Matthew McConaughey
Ben Stiller
Al Pacino
Matthew Broderick
Brooke Shields
Tom Hanks
Sophia Loren
Bridget Bardot
Matt Damon
Nas
Ryan Adams (one of my all time favorites)
Alicia Keys
Johnny Bench
Pete Rose
Roger Federer
Adrian Grenier
Lady Gaga
Pink
Justin Bieber
Jason Mraz
Avril Lavigne
John Mayer
No Doubt
Wilco (maybe my favorite, though more sentimental)
Maroon 5
Dave Matthews
The Roots
Jack Johnson
Norah Jones

I got my girlfriend's brother an Eminem one. He's a huge fan, so I'm happy for him, but I'm wondering if that might not be the rarest? Apparently, and I had no idea at the time, it appears he is not an easy get.

Snubs: Neil Young, one of my favorite musicians and it was a letdown of sorts to see him outright refuse to sign. Roger Waters wasn't an outright snub, but I kind of felt like he was ignoring me in favor of others and didn't ultimately sign my record. At least he signed for some others though.

Most difficult: I have to disagree with you Dom. Will Ferrell is achievable. I don't have his, but just type in "Will Ferrell autograph" on youtube and you'll see him signing plenty. You're right about Neil Armstrong though. He refused to sign an autograph for Nancy Pelosi!

David Gilmour is a tough one to get. He rarely tours in the US and when he does, he will only sign copies of his newest record.

Dom Heffner
12-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Great post fop.

Will Ferrell is the toughhest signature in Hollywood. Not impossible, but tough. And he can be a real jerk- like, berating to you. I'm sure he has signed his share and in fact he used to be pretty good. But he's been ranked the worst one by autograph Magazine for five or six years running. I've heard it from too many people....

Eminem many be tough in person but his Bravado website normally has signed lithographs there. I have one of those. For $250, it's a pretty good investment.

The Floyd guys are tough- they are well aware of their value.

Some of my better ones:

Michael Jackson
Marlon Brando
Paul McCartney
Mick Jagger times four along with one Stones piece
David Bowie
Madonna times six or seven...
REM complete with Bill Berry

My wish list is pretty much Bob Dylan.

westofyou
12-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Yea Will!!

Dom Heffner
12-11-2013, 10:24 PM
I forgot to add three Jimmy Page's and one Robert Plant.

God I love that band.

fearofpopvol1
12-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Great post fop.

Will Ferrell is the toughhest signature in Hollywood. Not impossible, but tough. And he can be a real jerk- like, berating to you. I'm sure he has signed his share and in fact he used to be pretty good. But he's been ranked the worst one by autograph Magazine for five or six years running. I've heard it from too many people....

Eminem many be tough in person but his Bravado website normally has signed lithographs there. I have one of those. For $250, it's a pretty good investment.

The Floyd guys are tough- they are well aware of their value.

Some of my better ones:

Michael Jackson
Marlon Brando
Paul McCartney
Mick Jagger times four along with one Stones piece
David Bowie
Madonna times six or seven...
REM complete with Bill Berry

My wish list is pretty much Bob Dylan.

Diz-amn! 6 or 7 Madonna? and 4 Jaggers? That's a great collection. Who else do you have?

I'm lucky to be in NYC and unlike LA, it's harder for people to hide because there aren't gates and tons of secret entrances/exits. If you're willing to wait outside for a bit, you can land people. Many in a day with all the people who live here and all of the press events and tapings. I don't get too crazy with it, just whenever I can do it I do. The problem is, you're often battling dealers who are big and aggressive for space and celebrities just won't sign for everyone. My intentions are different, since I don't collect to sell, I more collect for fun. Though I certainly hope some day that the collection is worth something.

And speaking of NYC, I think Will Ferrell does sign a lot in NYC because it's harder to run! I might try for him upcoming. He's currently doing a lot of press here. I'm almost curious to try just to see if I can land one!

Good advice on Eminem, although there isn't currently anything for sale in his store.

Roger Waters is generally pretty good about signing. He signed for at least 15 people but he just skipped over me, which I felt was intentional, but maybe it wasn't.

Bob Dylan would be an amazing get. Heard he doesn't sign at all, but I don't know for sure. Does he sign anything anymore?

My dream signing would be Prince. He outright doesn't sign at all. I think he may have briefly in the 90s, but he hasn't signed in years as I understand.

fearofpopvol1
12-11-2013, 10:46 PM
I forgot to add three Jimmy Page's and one Robert Plant.

God I love that band.

Wow, incredible. Do you have them together? Because apparently if you do, you're talking big money. And Page is supposedly the harder of the 2 to get.

Here is a surprise...apparently JK Rowling is a really hard one to get. I had no idea until recently. The worst part is, I think I could've easily gotten her earlier this year, but I had no idea!

Dom Heffner
12-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Wow, incredible. Do you have them together? Because apparently if you do, you're talking big money. And Page is supposedly the harder of the 2 to get.

Here is a surprise...apparently JK Rowling is a really hard one to get. I had no idea until recently. The worst part is, I think I could've easily gotten her earlier this year, but I had no idea!

No the Zeppelin stuff is on separate pieces. i invested in three of the Jimmy Page art prints from his site when they were much cheaper than they are now and one Robert Plant art print- the artist was a british soccer player, maybe. There are a few on ebay right now where both Plant and Page have signed with COAs from Roger Epperson that Im tempted to buy but Im happy with what I have.

Be patient with Eminem- he has had a few of those lithographs...they lasted about a year, and there were 25 left right before Thanksgiving. One will pop up on ebay if you're interested.

Madonna- that's a funny story. Not sure if youve ever heard of Alfie Pettit, but that guy could get her like nobody's business. He got turned down a ton but had a lot of success. Anyway, I was obsessed with madonna 18 years ago and got a bunch from him. Im going to sell two or three because its silly to have that many and with the COAs from alfie I should get a good price. They would pass PSA with flying colors- just terrific examples.

As for others, gosh-

Winona Ryder, Richard Gere, Sean penn, Nicholson, Sean connery...I spent too much money back in the 90s...lots more.

I have Axl and Slash, Elton John twice, like you I have Taylor Swift (I have two of the Peter Max prints from her website Im getting ready to put up on ebay).

I want to slim down my collection- going to sell 20-30 pieces and then use the money to buy a good Bob Dylan.

Dom Heffner
12-12-2013, 12:16 AM

Rowling is TOUGH.

Autographs are weird- it's about timing, and the celebrities view of the hobby. Marlon Brando used to tell Alfie he needed his head examined to want his autograph. Like he seriously lectured him about seeing a psychiatrist. Brando was so tough if he wrote you a check, you'd be better off not cashing it. The irony was the less he signed the more he drove up the value, making people want it more.

Dom Heffner
12-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Here's the Eminem one from his site now on ebay. Guy is trying to make about $200 on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eminem-Rap-Legend-Slim-Shady-Autographed-LTD-Ed-18-x-24-Art-Print-Poster-/390695924300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af74ab24c

Dom Heffner
12-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Sorry to post so much- just saw these questions:

Bob Dylan would be an amazing get. Heard he doesn't sign at all, but I don't know for sure. Does he sign anything anymore?

My dream signing would be Prince. He outright doesn't sign at all. I think he may have briefly in the 90s, but he hasn't signed in years as I understand.

Dylan is really hard. Michael Wehrmann, one of the most famous in person collectors gets him once a year or so. He has one listed on ebay now for $4500...I just can't do that for someone who is alive. But it's gorgeous. Dylan is just one of those guys who everything has to be right for you to get him. One collector I know had to follow him around and kiss his tail for twenty minutes, swear he wasn't going to sell it...told him his favorite album was "Self Portrait," to which Dylan was like "Really?" and it broke the ice and he got two from him. I want one but man, at four grand that's four or five Springsteen's...

Prince. Wow. He's tough, and he's a horse's rump about it. Alfie got him one time on a brown paper bag...and sold it for $1500...lol

i read once where just a normal guy, not a collector, had him one on one....nobody around...walked up and tried to hand him a pen to sign a piece of paper and he said, "What do you want me to do with this?" The guy said it hurt like he was punched in the stomach...just totally made him feel bad.

That's another one I want, but I've given up hope on getting one. I've seen two or three authentic ones in twenty years....it just isn't worth the trouble.

fearofpopvol1
12-12-2013, 12:46 AM
No the Zeppelin stuff is on separate pieces. i invested in three of the Jimmy Page art prints from his site when they were much cheaper than they are now and one Robert Plant art print- the artist was a british soccer player, maybe. There are a few on ebay right now where both Plant and Page have signed with COAs from Roger Epperson that Im tempted to buy but Im happy with what I have.

Be patient with Eminem- he has had a few of those lithographs...they lasted about a year, and there were 25 left right before Thanksgiving. One will pop up on ebay if you're interested.

Madonna- that's a funny story. Not sure if youve ever heard of Alfie Pettit, but that guy could get her like nobody's business. He got turned down a ton but had a lot of success. Anyway, I was obsessed with madonna 18 years ago and got a bunch from him. Im going to sell two or three because its silly to have that many and with the COAs from alfie I should get a good price. They would pass PSA with flying colors- just terrific examples.

As for others, gosh-

Winona Ryder, Richard Gere, Sean penn, Nicholson, Sean connery...I spent too much money back in the 90s...lots more.

I have Axl and Slash, Elton John twice, like you I have Taylor Swift (I have two of the Peter Max prints from her website Im getting ready to put up on ebay).

I want to slim down my collection- going to sell 20-30 pieces and then use the money to buy a good Bob Dylan.

Was autograph collecting cheaper in the 90s and before? I assume for the legacy artists it was. But I almost feel like the non-legacy celebrities as a whole are signing more now which in turn has driven the prices down, at least for now. I didn't really even start collecting at all or even think to start collecting until about 2 years ago.

Also, do you really trust all of the COAs? I know some are legit and I know some experts can authenticate, but how do you really know? Especially on eBay where some people print a COA out of their bedroom. I'm not saying they are all fake or anything, but I'd imagine even the experts could get something wrong? I wasn't previously familiar with Alfie, but looked him up. Looks like quite the character. For instance, sites like fanbiz where people send out SASE to celebrity handlers...I just have to imagine what they receive back most be almost exclusively autopens/preprints/secretarials.

I'd say about 90% of the signatures I've acquired have been in-person. The others I have not obtained in-person have been via relationships with people who directly work for/with that celebrity (I work in entertainment which has helped).

Dom Heffner
12-12-2013, 12:58 AM
Was autograph collecting cheaper in the 90s and before? I assume for the legacy artists it was. But I almost feel like the non-legacy celebrities as a whole are signing more now which in turn has driven the prices down, at least for now. I didn't really even start collecting at all or even think to start collecting until about 2 years ago.

Also, do you really trust all of the COAs? I know some are legit and I know some experts can authenticate, but how do you really know? Especially on eBay where some people print a COA out of their bedroom. I'm not saying they are all fake or anything, but I'd imagine even the experts could get something wrong? I wasn't previously familiar with Alfie, but looked him up. Looks like quite the character. For instance, sites like fanbiz where people send out SASE to celebrity handlers...I just have to imagine what they receive back most be almost exclusively autopens/preprints/secretarials.

I'd say about 90% of the signatures I've acquired have been in-person. The others I have not obtained in-person have been via relationships with people who directly work for/with that celebrity (I work in entertainment which has helped).

I got most of my stuff from a very small group of collectors I trusted. COAs from them are invaluable. COAs from PSA...ugh. Sometimes they authenticate things they have no business doing. But mostly I like them. JSA, no thanks. Roger Epperson is about the best in the business with rock and roll signatures. That dude from Pawn stars, Drew Maxx, steer clear. Autographs from those shops in Vegas, stay away. Same for the ones in malls.

The prices in the 90s were outrageous- at least from Alfie they were- but I knew I was getting good stuff. The FBI used him to sink a few of the terrible dealers that were popping up.

There are some through the mail autographs that are good- there is a website I go to called autograph magazine live and they share addresses of ones who really sign. You can also get free advice on your stuff or things you want to buy on ebay. And when they find a dealer who is selling fake stuff, they go out in full force.

It's a great hobby if you know what you are doing- I've been burned a few times but it's from not doing enough homework. I stick to stuff that has been authenticated by Roger or stuff sold through an artist's website.

It's awesome you were able to do it yourself for the most part. Just super.

fearofpopvol1
12-12-2013, 01:34 AM
Sorry to post so much- just saw these questions:

Dylan is really hard. Michael Wehrmann, one of the most famous in person collectors gets him once a year or so. He has one listed on ebay now for $4500...I just can't do that for someone who is alive. But it's gorgeous. Dylan is just one of those guys who everything has to be right for you to get him. One collector I know had to follow him around and kiss his tail for twenty minutes, swear he wasn't going to sell it...told him his favorite album was "Self Portrait," to which Dylan was like "Really?" and it broke the ice and he got two from him. I want one but man, at four grand that's four or five Springsteen's...

Prince. Wow. He's tough, and he's a horse's rump about it. Alfie got him one time on a brown paper bag...and sold it for $1500...lol

i read once where just a normal guy, not a collector, had him one on one....nobody around...walked up and tried to hand him a pen to sign a piece of paper and he said, "What do you want me to do with this?" The guy said it hurt like he was punched in the stomach...just totally made him feel bad.

That's another one I want, but I've given up hope on getting one. I've seen two or three authentic ones in twenty years....it just isn't worth the trouble.

Wow. $4500 for someone that is alive is a TON. Dylan played last year at this relatively small venue here called Terminal 5. The capacity is probably around 3000 or so. Anyway, I didn't go, but I had heard he refused to sign for anyone.

That doesn't surprise me about Prince either, but what a terrible story. I have a friend that books a venue and a couple years back, he flew out here to come see Larry Graham's show. Prince's bodyguard called up and asked if Prince could have a closed off section to his self. He also requested that he have somewhere to be before the show starts away from the public. She was also told that she nor any of the employees were allowed to make eye contact with Prince!

I still don't fully understand why a.) how good the signature is (since apparently it can vary) matters so much as it pertains to the value and b.) why a signed guitar for instance can be worth thousands more than a signed vinyl or a signed vinyl is worth more than a CD sleeve or an 8x10. Is it size? Signed baseballs by celebrities seem to be worth more too.

Is Springsteen really worth close to a grand? It's funny, he is an easy one for me. I actually have a few, although one is personalized. He is involved with a charity that I volunteer with and so I actually see him twice a year at events. I've only asked a few times, but the last one I got is just great. It's a great signature and he even drew a guitar on there. One of the nicest and humblest "celebrities" I've met.

fearofpopvol1
12-12-2013, 01:50 AM
I got most of my stuff from a very small group of collectors I trusted. COAs from them are invaluable. COAs from PSA...ugh. Sometimes they authenticate things they have no business doing. But mostly I like them. JSA, no thanks. Roger Epperson is about the best in the business with rock and roll signatures. That dude from Pawn stars, Drew Maxx, steer clear. Autographs from those shops in Vegas, stay away. Same for the ones in malls.

The prices in the 90s were outrageous- at least from Alfie they were- but I knew I was getting good stuff. The FBI used him to sink a few of the terrible dealers that were popping up.

There are some through the mail autographs that are good- there is a website I go to called autograph magazine live and they share addresses of ones who really sign. You can also get free advice on your stuff or things you want to buy on ebay. And when they find a dealer who is selling fake stuff, they go out in full force.

It's a great hobby if you know what you are doing- I've been burned a few times but it's from not doing enough homework. I stick to stuff that has been authenticated by Roger or stuff sold through an artist's website.

It's awesome you were able to do it yourself for the most part. Just super.

Yes! I remember reading about Drew Maxx and how he has been unreliable and claimed something was fake that was actually real. That's what scared me aboue that.

That is awesome that there was such a reliable group back then. I don't know if such a thing exists anymore, at least on that level. I'll have to check out Autograph Magazine Live. I probably have clicked on it before in the past not realizing exactly what it was.

It's funny, you mentioned timing and it's true. Can you imagine if you lived in Asbury Park in the 70s or Minneapolis in the 70s/early 80s? You could've gotten so many autographs from Prince and Bruce, but most people had no idea how big those guys would become.

Are you familiar with the website toppixautographs.com? This person actually lives out here and for the majority of autographs, gets video proof of someone signing the item. I've seen her a few times. The prices seem reasonable for the most part, with the exception of McCartney.

I really enjoy collecting as I said before, but it can be gut-wrenching. Especially when you see the dealers act like animals and thus miss out on an opportunity after you've waited for a while.

dougdirt
12-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Are you familiar with the website toppixautographs.com? This person actually lives out here and for the majority of autographs, gets video proof of someone signing the item. I've seen her a few times. The prices seem reasonable for the most part, with the exception of McCartney.

I really enjoy collecting as I said before, but it can be gut-wrenching. Especially when you see the dealers act like animals and thus miss out on an opportunity after you've waited for a while.

Video proof doesn't do much for me. Sure, you can prove you had him sign something, but I can't tell if it was the thing you are now trying to sell to me or just something just like it.

Dom Heffner
12-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Wow. $4500 for someone that is alive is a TON. Dylan played last year at this relatively small venue here called Terminal 5. The capacity is probably around 3000 or so. Anyway, I didn't go, but I had heard he refused to sign for anyone.

That doesn't surprise me about Prince either, but what a terrible story. I have a friend that books a venue and a couple years back, he flew out here to come see Larry Graham's show. Prince's bodyguard called up and asked if Prince could have a closed off section to his self. He also requested that he have somewhere to be before the show starts away from the public. She was also told that she nor any of the employees were allowed to make eye contact with Prince!

I still don't fully understand why a.) how good the signature is (since apparently it can vary) matters so much as it pertains to the value and b.) why a signed guitar for instance can be worth thousands more than a signed vinyl or a signed vinyl is worth more than a CD sleeve or an 8x10. Is it size? Signed baseballs by celebrities seem to be worth more too.

Is Springsteen really worth close to a grand? It's funny, he is an easy one for me. I actually have a few, although one is personalized. He is involved with a charity that I volunteer with and so I actually see him twice a year at events. I've only asked a few times, but the last one I got is just great. It's a great signature and he even drew a guitar on there. One of the nicest and humblest "celebrities" I've met.

With signatures you just want a nicer example. It matters for a couple reasons. One, if it's perfect it's just going to be more sought after. More importantly the better examples are less likely to be forged- Madonna is one where if she gives you the perfect "Love Madonna" written as one word so the whole word Love also looks likea n M- I mean, you can't fake that no matter how good you are. But if she scribbles, and man can she give out some stinkers, anybody can write that and the authenticity is much tougher to establish. Al Pacino gives out crap, and I'd challenge anyone to authenticate his stuff. One company had a "private signing" and PSA was there to give the heralded "ITP" COA (in the presence of) and he signed some beauties. Go to ebay, type in "Pacino ITP" and there are some incredible oversize photos with perfect examples of his signature. The only problem is he signed so many and he signs well anyway that it's tough to pay $400 for that.

Springsteen is anywhere from $500 to $1500, just depends on what the signature is on. There are a few on ebay right now for even more than that.

He is a really good signer, but the demand is really high. You are lucky to have access to him- i have one, I really really want more.

As for the items- guitars are worth more because they are harder to get signed, plus the guitar holds value. I've never understood the baseball thing. I tend to go for heavier stock posters or prints. Big is better and if you have a quality item you are more likely to get more money if you sell.

Dom Heffner
12-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Video proof doesn't do much for me. Sure, you can prove you had him sign something, but I can't tell if it was the thing you are now trying to sell to me or just something just like it.

Great point- i have seen video and photo proof that is exact and it is awesome.
And i have seen some that is useless.

The thing with autographs is to close your ears to the story, and simply look at the signature. Get opinions. Most forgeries are detectable.

Dom Heffner
12-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Here are two madonna's on ebay right now- the first one is an authentic "Love Madonna." Not as perfect as I've seen it, but pretty close.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Madonna-AUTHENTIC-autographed-BRAVO-quote-signed-TOP-/151018118093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2329619bcd

Now click on the one below and see where she started to sign "Love" and then just rushed the rest. I would say this is probably authentic, but gosh, it's just a scibble that anyone could do. So for me, I want the nicer example because not only does it look better, it's certainly tougher to forge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Madonna-TOP-autograph-signed-photo-record-cover-/151018119058?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2329619f92

It's pretty sad that I've seen enough of her autographs to say that the second one is real, but the more I look at it, the more I say it's genuine. The slant is right, the way she starts the L and the tail at the end of the a....

Yachtzee
12-12-2013, 08:56 PM
So does anyone have an autograph of '80s hair metal band Autograph?

fearofpopvol1
12-13-2013, 02:25 AM

I'm generally with you, though I know this person in particular is legit.

fearofpopvol1
12-13-2013, 02:32 AM
With signatures you just want a nicer example. It matters for a couple reasons. One, if it's perfect it's just going to be more sought after. More importantly the better examples are less likely to be forged- Madonna is one where if she gives you the perfect "Love Madonna" written as one word so the whole word Love also looks likea n M- I mean, you can't fake that no matter how good you are. But if she scribbles, and man can she give out some stinkers, anybody can write that and the authenticity is much tougher to establish. Al Pacino gives out crap, and I'd challenge anyone to authenticate his stuff. One company had a "private signing" and PSA was there to give the heralded "ITP" COA (in the presence of) and he signed some beauties. Go to ebay, type in "Pacino ITP" and there are some incredible oversize photos with perfect examples of his signature. The only problem is he signed so many and he signs well anyway that it's tough to pay $400 for that.

Springsteen is anywhere from $500 to $1500, just depends on what the signature is on. There are a few on ebay right now for even more than that.
He is a really good signer, but the demand is really high. You are lucky to have access to him- i have one, I really really want more.

As for the items- guitars are worth more because they are harder to get signed, plus the guitar holds value. I've never understood the baseball thing. I tend to go for heavier stock posters or prints. Big is better and if you have a quality item you are more likely to get more money if you sell.

Ha. I can vouch on Pacino. I have several and most of them are terrible. I think it's his way of giving the finger to those he thinks are selling his stuff. BUT, I do have 1 excellent one which was a program to his play. Even a dealer who was nearby at the time was raving about how good it was.

After looking at the ITPs, I think the one he signed for me looks even better than those! Granted, it's not on a 11x14, but it looks like those, but slightly better.

The thing with Springsteen is that I could easily ask for more, but I just don't. I got involved with the charity long before I knew he was involved. I don't know, I feel a little dirty asking, which is why I've only done it a few times when I easily could have asked a couple dozen times. I'm content with having a few.

fearofpopvol1
12-13-2013, 02:45 AM
Here are two madonna's on ebay right now- the first one is an authentic "Love Madonna." Not as perfect as I've seen it, but pretty close.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Madonna-AUTHENTIC-autographed-BRAVO-quote-signed-TOP-/151018118093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2329619bcd

Now click on the one below and see where she started to sign "Love" and then just rushed the rest. I would say this is probably authentic, but gosh, it's just a scibble that anyone could do. So for me, I want the nicer example because not only does it look better, it's certainly tougher to forge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Madonna-TOP-autograph-signed-photo-record-cover-/151018119058?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2329619f92

It's pretty sad that I've seen enough of her autographs to say that the second one is real, but the more I look at it, the more I say it's genuine. The slant is right, the way she starts the L and the tail at the end of the a....

Great post. I'm sure the first one is worth more, because it's a better autograph. But I would think it would also be worth more because it contains more of her handwriting? I'm no expert, but I would think the more handwriting the better.

That's one of the difficult things about getting autographs. There are usually crowds and celebrities try to sign for as many people as possible, which often means rushing. I fully believe that some celebrities don't like or are paranoid about people selling their autographs as well and thus some purposely (like a Pacino) will give a scribble. You know who I found though really took their time when signing? More so than anyone I had ever seen? Matthew Broderick. Ridiculously good signer.

Some people go to crazy lengths to get autographs. Someone was telling me how they find out which hotel they're staying at. I've seen some dealers get in a car and follow the person to their hotel for autographs. It's stuff for me that just borders on crazy and insane. I don't think I could do that, no matter who it was.

One of the other things I want to do is I've got a couple of Sting autographs. You wouldn't believe how easy they were to get too. Maybe the easiest autographs I've ever gotten, no exaggeration. I don't think he by himself is that valuable, but I got his autographs on Police stuff. I'd love to somehow get Stewart and Andy. I think Stewart probably is easier to get than Andy, but I could be wrong on that. I actually tried contacting him on facebook and I didn't get a reply.

Dom Heffner
12-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Here's an authentic Prince...only $2900..

http://signedsealeddel.com/pop.php?f=/newimages/prince-parade.jpg

Dom Heffner
12-13-2013, 08:15 PM
I would love to own this- a signed piece of paper by the first band Jimmy Page ever played in- Mickey Finn and the Bluemen, for whom he played harmonica.

http://signedsealeddel.com/pop.php?f=/newimages/mickeyfinnbluemen-1a.jpg

Dom Heffner
12-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Great post. I'm sure the first one is worth more, because it's a better autograph. But I would think it would also be worth more because it contains more of her handwriting? I'm no expert, but I would think the more handwriting the better.

That's one of the difficult things about getting autographs. There are usually crowds and celebrities try to sign for as many people as possible, which often means rushing. I fully believe that some celebrities don't like or are paranoid about people selling their autographs as well and thus some purposely (like a Pacino) will give a scribble. You know who I found though really took their time when signing? More so than anyone I had ever seen? Matthew Broderick. Ridiculously good signer.

Some people go to crazy lengths to get autographs. Someone was telling me how they find out which hotel they're staying at. I've seen some dealers get in a car and follow the person to their hotel for autographs. It's stuff for me that just borders on crazy and insane. I don't think I could do that, no matter who it was.

One of the other things I want to do is I've got a couple of Sting autographs. You wouldn't believe how easy they were to get too. Maybe the easiest autographs I've ever gotten, no exaggeration. I don't think he by himself is that valuable, but I got his autographs on Police stuff. I'd love to somehow get Stewart and Andy. I think Stewart probably is easier to get than Andy, but I could be wrong on that. I actually tried contacting him on facebook and I didn't get a reply.

What Alfie would do is pay cash to bellhops, waiters, etc. to tip him off when famous people would be at their establishment. It was great because he wouldn't have to fight all the other collectors at a movie premiere.

Speaking of going to great lengths. He once found out that Elizabeth Taylor was going to rent out Disney for her birthday party. So, he bought tickets the day before and then slept in bushes so he could be there the next day to try for an autograph.

He pulls the overnight part off, only to be kicked out when trying to order a soft pretzel. The giveaway? He asked how much they were. Apparently guests of Miss Taylor don't pay for anything lol....

fearofpopvol1
12-16-2013, 01:14 AM
Here's an authentic Prince...only $2900..

http://signedsealeddel.com/pop.php?f=/newimages/prince-parade.jpg

Wouldn't that potentially be worth it given how few exist? I'd imagine there are more Dylan's out there than Prince's?

fearofpopvol1
12-16-2013, 01:15 AM
What Alfie would do is pay cash to bellhops, waiters, etc. to tip him off when famous people would be at their establishment. It was great because he wouldn't have to fight all the other collectors at a movie premiere.

Speaking of going to great lengths. He once found out that Elizabeth Taylor was going to rent out Disney for her birthday party. So, he bought tickets the day before and then slept in bushes so he could be there the next day to try for an autograph.

He pulls the overnight part off, only to be kicked out when trying to order a soft pretzel. The giveaway? He asked how much they were. Apparently guests of Miss Taylor don't pay for anything lol....

That's a hilarious story. Was Elizabeth Taylor a hard get?

Dom Heffner
12-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Wouldn't that potentially be worth it given how few exist? I'd imagine there are more Dylan's out there than Prince's?

Oh yes, there are more Dylan's out there....by far. Dylan is hard but not impossible. He can be worn down- from what I understand is you usually get a pretty polite no from him and then it's up to luck from there.

Is Prince worth it? It probably is. Prince is no Dylan, but the scarcity factor and his fans are pretty die hard, so maybe not a bad buy. I wouldn't do it, personally, just because I'd rather put that money towards someone else, but for a fan, I would totally get how someone would pay it and though it may take you ahiwle to get out from it, you most likely could. Will it appreciate? Gosh, no way to know....

Dom Heffner
12-16-2013, 01:20 PM
That's a hilarious story. Was Elizabeth Taylor a hard get?

She was a pretty good signer if you could get to her, coupled with the value of an aging Hollywood legend made her a pretty good target.

For an 11x14 photo Alfie was getting $1500 and up back in the 1990s...

You could probably get it cheaper today or at least in that price range...prices for some of the Hollywood legends aren't really going up....

George Anderson
12-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Oh yes, there are more Dylan's out there....by far. Dylan is hard but not impossible. He can be worn down- from what I understand is you usually get a pretty polite no from him and then it's up to luck from there.

Is Prince worth it? It probably is. Prince is no Dylan, but the scarcity factor and his fans are pretty die hard, so maybe not a bad buy. I wouldn't do it, personally, just because I'd rather put that money towards someone else, but for a fan, I would totally get how someone would pay it and though it may take you ahiwle to get out from it, you most likely could. Will it appreciate? Gosh, no way to know....

Speaking of hard core Dylan fans.

True story.

A good friend of mine is what you would call a Dylanologist where he has seen Bob in concert somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 times. He is kind of like how alot of us are with baseball and the Reds when it comes to Bob. Anyway at one show my friend was in the front row and Bob spit on the stage. My friend grabbed a kleenex, reached on the stage and wiped the spit up with the kleenex. To this day that kleenex with Bobs spit hangs proudly on his wall.

I know this is a thread about autograph collectors and not spit collectors but I thought people would find it interesting.

Dom Heffner
12-16-2013, 02:26 PM
That is absolutely awesome, George.

fearofpopvol1
01-06-2014, 01:40 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Lebron-Autograph-Upper-Deck-Authenticated/dp/B00G4UI8J0/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1388989346&sr=8-24&keywords=14+x+14+x+8

Good deal? I can only imagine the value on that will increase.

dougdirt
01-06-2014, 03:57 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Lebron-Autograph-Upper-Deck-Authenticated/dp/B00G4UI8J0/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1388989346&sr=8-24&keywords=14+x+14+x+8

Cut autographs of living people just infuriate me. I get it if they are dead, they can't sign things anymore so there is a very finite number of autographs available, much less ones on photos. But when people are living, have them sign the freaking photo. The sticker autographs are the worst and I hate everything about them.

RedFanAlways1966
01-06-2014, 06:29 AM

Only if some fool is willing to pay so much money. What do they say? Oh yeah, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

fearofpopvol1
01-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Only if some fool is willing to pay so much money. What do they say? Oh yeah, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

I don't think it's that crazy. Maybe a tad high for right now, but you're gambling on LeBron becoming a legend. If he does, this will easily appreciate in value in 10-15 years. Obviously it's authentic.

What do you think Dom?

RedFanAlways1966
01-06-2014, 12:43 PM
I don't think it's that crazy. Maybe a tad high for right now, but you're gambling on LeBron becoming a legend. If he does, this will easily appreciate in value in 10-15 years. Obviously it's authentic.

What do you think Dom?

I know what ya mean. And I will admit that the whole "autograph industry" is a crazy thing to me. It makes me think of the people who go to a baseball game when a bobblehead is given at the gate and they leave as soon as the bobblehead is in their hands.

The funny thing... my brother-in-law got me two autographs as Christmas presents this year! A mini OSU helmet signed by Troy Smith and an autographed copy of the Megadeth bass player's biography. Of course I thanked him and told him both might be worth something lol.

fearofpopvol1
01-07-2014, 02:23 AM
I know what ya mean. And I will admit that the whole "autograph industry" is a crazy thing to me. It makes me think of the people who go to a baseball game when a bobblehead is given at the gate and they leave as soon as the bobblehead is in their hands.

The funny thing... my brother-in-law got me two autographs as Christmas presents this year! A mini OSU helmet signed by Troy Smith and an autographed copy of the Megadeth bass player's biography. Of course I thanked him and told him both might be worth something lol.

I understand. I'm with you to a point. Especially as a kid, collecting autographs was a lot more pure and this kind of takes that out of the equation. I think the LeBron one could be a great buy in a matter of years. Curious of Dom's opinion.

fearofpopvol1
01-07-2014, 02:30 AM
Also as a quick side note, I was able to get Cameron Diaz's autograph this evening. She was signing copies of her new book. I have heard she's not notoriously a great signer. She eespecially loathes dealers. I think her guard was down for this one though, especially with it being her first signing. She signed the books really well.

Dom Heffner
01-08-2014, 11:14 PM

What do you think Dom?

I think cut signatures are the least valuable of all signatures.

you can get all four Beatles on a piece of paper for $1500 or so. The Beatles.

You'll be an ancient man before it goes up....just my opinion.

Dom Heffner
01-08-2014, 11:17 PM
Also as a quick side note, I was able to get Cameron Diaz's autograph this evening. She was signing copies of her new book. I have heard she's not notoriously a great signer. She eespecially loathes dealers. I think her guard was down for this one though, especially with it being her first signing. She signed the books really well.

She used to be great, she's now an outright jerk. Of course, that's probably directed at people she thinks are dealers.

The "in-person" guys can be brutal- just terrible. A group of them made poor Angela Basset cry way back in the late 90's....

Dom Heffner
01-08-2014, 11:24 PM
I finally got me a Dylan LP. I had it authenticated by three experts- one was the guy who authenticated dylan's handwriting for the PBS history Detectives show.

I wasn't messing around- i contacted the top rock and roll authenticator in the country plus the guy PBS used. His analysis helped confirm a Dylan guitar that sold for a million dollars.

fearofpopvol1
01-09-2014, 02:08 AM
I think cut signatures are the least valuable of all signatures.

you can get all four Beatles on a piece of paper for $1500 or so. The Beatles.

You'll be an ancient man before it goes up....just my opinion.

Good to know. I wasn't seriously considering it, but thought it was interesting.

fearofpopvol1
01-09-2014, 02:11 AM
She used to be great, she's now an outright jerk. Of course, that's probably directed at people she thinks are dealers.

The "in-person" guys can be brutal- just terrible. A group of them made poor Angela Basset cry way back in the late 90's....

I think you're spot on here. If you go to youtube and watch her signing stuff, you can tell by her body language that is hating every moment of it. She was surprisingly nice though at the signing. But you could tell she was very passionate about her book and I think that carried over to the signing.

I think the "in person" guys have actually gotten worse. Even more aggressive and disgusting. Sucks for people like me who genuinely want to collect and not sell. Undoubtedly they almost always seem to "win" in those situations over me. I shouldn't complain though, I've had some good luck too.

fearofpopvol1
01-09-2014, 02:16 AM
I finally got me a Dylan LP. I had it authenticated by three experts- one was the guy who authenticated dylan's handwriting for the PBS history Detectives show.

I wasn't messing around- i contacted the top rock and roll authenticator in the country plus the guy PBS used. His analysis helped confirm a Dylan guitar that sold for a million dollars.

That's fantastic!! I'm impressed. How much did it set you back if you don't mind my asking?

And what?!? A Dylan guitar went for a million? That is unfathomable to me. For a million, you could buy an awful lot of others.

Dom Heffner
01-09-2014, 08:20 AM
That's fantastic!! I'm impressed. How much did it set you back if you don't mind my asking?

And what?!? A Dylan guitar went for a million? That is unfathomable to me. For a million, you could buy an awful lot of others.

The Dylan guitar was not signed- it was the exact guitar he used when he went electric at the Newport Folk Festival. He left the guitar on a plane, along with hand written lyrics (which Jeff Gold authenticated) and the pilot kept the guitar.

It's one of the most notable moments in rock history, so a million is probably par for the course.

The LP was low 4 's....the provenance was so rock solid and came with such a guarantee, I had to have it. That may seem outrageous, but consider that the small signing he did for his Tempest(!) CD netted 3 grand for one and his signed lithographs of his art go for that as well. A classic LP, which is much rarer is priced accordingly.

One of the toughest signatures in the world if he sniffs you're a dealer. His new line is, "You don't need my autograph, if you needed it, I'd give it to you."

fearofpopvol1
01-09-2014, 12:13 PM
The Dylan guitar was not signed- it was the exact guitar he used when he went electric at the Newport Folk Festival. He left the guitar on a plane, along with hand written lyrics (which Jeff Gold authenticated) and the pilot kept the guitar.

It's one of the most notable moments in rock history, so a million is probably par for the course.

The LP was low 4 's....the provenance was so rock solid and came with such a guarantee, I had to have it. That may seem outrageous, but consider that the small signing he did for his Tempest(!) CD netted 3 grand for one and his signed lithographs of his art go for that as well. A classic LP, which is much rarer is priced accordingly.

One of the toughest signatures in the world if he sniffs you're a dealer. His new line is, "You don't need my autograph, if you needed it, I'd give it to you."

I don't think that price is too crazy. It's certainly not going to lose any value, it's only going to go up. And you have a large enough collection that you could always sell other items and quickly/easily make that up if you wanted to.

Dom Heffner
01-09-2014, 12:34 PM
I don't think that price is too crazy. It's certainly not going to lose any value, it's only going to go up. And you have a large enough collection that you could always sell other items and quickly/easily make that up if you wanted to.

If I lose, it won't be too bad. I've seen three others go on ebay for more, so hopefully at worse it is a step sideways. I honestly don't care. You live once, I want a Dylan more than anything, it's cheaper to get one that you love and then you won't keep buying lesser pieces to make up for it.

And yes, I'm selling other stuff. I have a whole slew of stuff I could probably get $100 or so for people I don't give a hoot about.

I'm thinking about letting my Michael Jackson go. I feel sort of icky hanging onto it, to be honest.

I also just purchased an original Springsteen paste up poster advertising for his famous run at The Bottom Line. It;s signed by him and three E Streeters.

I'll never get it completed, but it's pretty cool. I just cared abour Bruce's signature, the rest is a bonus. Danny Federici, Bittan, Tallent.

It's poster size and the signatures were gotten back in 1975. It's super cool. If I could post pics I would.

I also got a Foreigner 4 and an Agent Provaceteur record signed by Lou Gramm- they didn't cost me anything, a friend in Rochester got it for me.

As well picked up a Joan Jett/Shepherd Fairley signed print that is really cool. Love that woman.

I'm trying to really reduce the size of my collection (sounds like it I know lol) so I only have stuff I care about. Lots to unload and I need to get on that.

fearofpopvol1
01-09-2014, 02:46 PM
If I lose, it won't be too bad. I've seen three others go on ebay for more, so hopefully at worse it is a step sideways. I honestly don't care. You live once, I want a Dylan more than anything, it's cheaper to get one that you love and then you won't keep buying lesser pieces to make up for it.

And yes, I'm selling other stuff. I have a whole slew of stuff I could probably get $100 or so for people I don't give a hoot about.

I'm thinking about letting my Michael Jackson go. I feel sort of icky hanging onto it, to be honest.

I also just purchased an original Springsteen paste up poster advertising for his famous run at The Bottom Line. It;s signed by him and three E Streeters.

I'll never get it completed, but it's pretty cool. I just cared abour Bruce's signature, the rest is a bonus. Danny Federici, Bittan, Tallent.

It's poster size and the signatures were gotten back in 1975. It's super cool. If I could post pics I would.

I also got a Foreigner 4 and an Agent Provaceteur record signed by Lou Gramm- they didn't cost me anything, a friend in Rochester got it for me.

As well picked up a Joan Jett/Shepherd Fairley signed print that is really cool. Love that woman.

I'm trying to really reduce the size of my collection (sounds like it I know lol) so I only have stuff I care about. Lots to unload and I need to get on that.

I'd be surprised if you "lose" on the Dylan.

I also think that Michael Jackson is going to only increase too. I feel like the more time that passes, the more forgiving people are being towards him. If you look at sales alone at least it would indicate that.

The cool thing about that Springsteeen is that his signature I believe was different then. His signatures now are in cursive whereas back then I don't think many (if any) were. Probably more rare.

RedsBaron
01-10-2014, 07:22 AM
I've never really been a collector but I do have a very few.
I still have a 1969 Reds scorecard that was signed before a game by Pete Rose, Johnny Bench and Tony Perez.
I have a letter or two from the late Jack Kemp.
I have two Chuck Yeager autographs, including an autographed copy of one of his biographies that I know is genuine because he signed it while I was talking to him at a Yeager Scholars event at Marshall University.
I also have several Martina McBride autographs, including an autographed photo of Martina, my wife and me. Again I know that these autographs are genuine because I was talking with her when she signed each time.

My "collection" also includes a cast photo from the 1960s TV western "Laredo" signed by William Smith. Last September I attended Comic Con in Columbus and had my photo taken with, and got autographs from, two members of "Firefly," Ron Glass and Summer Glau.

fearofpopvol1
02-07-2014, 12:01 AM
Got Anna Wintour and George Clooney yesterday. Both were surprisingly easy. I wish they all were that easy! I've been feeling spoiled as of late not having to wait long or do much. Not usually how it works.

RedTeamGo!
02-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Justin Verlander and Dave Dombrowski - went to spring training years ago, it was the season before Verlander broke out. I believe Edwin Encarnacion hit a home run off of him off the team bus.

David Eckstein

My favorite autograph is Tim Salmon. For my senior project of high school we had to shadow a professional for 2 weeks. My cousin was/is an executive for UPS in Detroit. I stayed with him and his family for 2 weeks and one day we took the day off and went to a businessman special at Comerica Park. He got really good tickets from his boss so we were sitting 2nd row behind 1st base dugout. We got there early for batting practice and some of the Angels were signing balls. I was lucky enough to get a ball that was thrown to me. I went over to Eckstein first, got his autograph, seems like a really nice guy. Tim Salmon was a few feet away, so I walked over to him, I noticed he was really quiet. At the time the Angels were hovering around .500 and nobody was really thinking much of them. For some reason I thought the Angels were a sleeper and what transpired is a memory I will always remember. Since Tim wasn't saying anything I said "I picked you guys to go all the way this year, I think you are going to win it all" and he rolled his eyes, turned to me and said "yeah right, kid" then walked away.

I sure showed him!

fearofpopvol1
02-08-2014, 12:36 AM
And got Sarah Jessica Parker this evening. It's been a good week.

fearofpopvol1
02-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Dom, any insight on how valuable Pele's autograph is? I saw that he signed sort of a lot of autographs, but some have claimed they are still valuable.

Is it worth going to a book signing of his? He has one coming up in about a month.

Dom Heffner
02-24-2014, 11:55 PM
Dom, any insight on how valuable Pele's autograph is? I saw that he signed sort of a lot of autographs, but some have claimed they are still valuable.

Is it worth going to a book signing of his? He has one coming up in about a month.

Pele is a highly sought after signature. A few years ago he was ranked #9 of the most valuable living signatures by Paul Fraser, who ranks these from time to time.

http://m.ranker.com/list/the-world_s-10-most-valuable-autographs/paulfrasercollectibles

Not sure how it holds up now on places like ebay, but look at the company he's in on the list.

Dom Heffner
02-25-2014, 12:20 AM
Going through ebay completed auctions, it looks as though his stuff is pretty valuable. Looks like it will be worth it.

On a side note, just obtained a signed inner sleeve of Led Zeppelin IV- it's basically the lyrics to "Stairway to Heaven" signed by Page and Plant. It's already one of my favorite pieces.

Also scored a signed lithograph of the debut album cover of Black Sabbath- all four original members...it's a pretty big poster and the sigs are huge.

fearofpopvol1
02-25-2014, 12:25 AM
Pele is a highly sought after signature. A few years ago he was ranked #9 of the most valuable living signatures by Paul Fraser, who ranks these from time to time.

http://m.ranker.com/list/the-world_s-10-most-valuable-autographs/paulfrasercollectibles

Not sure how it holds up now on places like evay, but look at the conpany he's in on the list.

I had a feeling that was the case. As I said, doing a book signing here in a month, so I guess it's a must go. I would think if he is doing some signings the value might go down some? And a book is probably worth less than a soccer ball/jersey, but still has some value I'm sure. Surely more value than the cost of the book.

Dom Heffner
02-25-2014, 12:33 AM
I had a feeling that was the case. As I said, doing a book signing here in a month, so I guess it's a must go. I would think if he is doing some signings the value might go down some? And a book is probably worth less than a soccer ball/jersey, but still has some value I'm sure. Surely more value than the cost of the book.

Yes, the book will be less valuable, unless it's some sort of limited edition book. Christ, Jimmy Page's photo autobiography signed goes for 2 grand plus....more than a signed album.

My guess with Pele is it will be a few hundred dollar venture- well worth it.

If he'll sign a jersey or ball or photo you'll do better, my guess is his people know the value and they aren't going to allow other things. All they can do is say no.

Cher had that policy and my friend bought ten CDs and said will you sign this one poster since i bought ten and he got it.

fearofpopvol1
02-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Yes, the book will be less valuable, unless it's some sort of limited edition book. Christ, Jimmy Page's photo autobiography signed goes for 2 grand plus....more than a signed album.

My guess with Pele is it will be a few hundred dollar venture- well worth it.

If he'll sign a jersey or ball or photo you'll do better, my guess is his people know the value and they aren't going to allow other things. All they can do is say no.

Cher had that policy and my friend bought ten CDs and said will you sign this one poster since i bought ten and he got it.

That's a great idea. Maybe I'll grab 5 books and a soccer ball and see what happens. Although I'm prepared to lose that battle. The bookstores are hardcore about the authors signing only the books. But I could also try waiting outside afterwards and seeing if I can catch him that way.

dougdirt
02-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Dom, do you display your pieces? If so, do you have pictures of them we can all drool over online somewhere?

Dom Heffner
02-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Dom, do you display your pieces? If so, do you have pictures of them we can all drool over online somewhere?

Doug, how kind.

I have photos of most of them. Is there a way to just post a JPG file or BMP to this site?

Anyone you particularly wish to see?

dougdirt
02-26-2014, 08:52 PM
Doug, how kind.

I have photos of most of them. Is there a way to just post a JPG file or BMP to this site?

Anyone you particularly wish to see?

I don't know if a BMP would display or not, or that people even used them anymore, but you can upload JPG's to the site. When you reply, you can go to the go advanced option and then you can manage attachments, which will allow you to upload images.

I am not sure there are any in particular that I am dying to see, but reading through the thread over the past few weeks/months it just seems that your collection is awfully impressive and has some really nice pieces in it.

Dom Heffner
02-26-2014, 08:52 PM
Here's a link to my Page/Plant piece.

http://api.ning.com/files/VsoqHWf4ZMm3vIKiqIr8FjekWtVY4TuWLnVTBAOKkN5S*vjX*m 16*Kp9YhYkFVY*0oju77Q4fbGhhDcN7d4lqREcWfkuUQbt/stairway_1.jpg

It's actually bigger than this- I have it matted with the Stairway to Heaven artwork but this photo shows the sigs up close.

I'm thrilled to own it- it's the lyrics to my favorite Zeppelin song signed by its writers.

Dom Heffner
02-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Here's a link to the Dylan record I have.

http://recordmecca.com/item-archives/bob-dylan-another-side-of-bob-dylan-autographed-lp/

Dom Heffner
02-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Here 's another Jimmy Page- this isn't mine but I own one just like it, it's just a different number.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/183211

Also own these, again mine are just a different number.

http://cdn.jimmypage.com/sites/default/files/uploads/ja_150512.jpg

http://cdn.jimmypage.com/sites/default/files/uploads/np_150512.jpg

Dom Heffner
02-26-2014, 09:06 PM
I'd post more, I just don't know how to post my personal photos.

Dom Heffner
02-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Here's a link to the Taylor Swift one. Let the jokes begin:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/37014028158667589/

dougdirt
02-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Here's a link to the Taylor Swift one. Let the jokes begin:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/37014028158667589/

I will take some abuse with you... she makes catchy music and I like it.

Dom Heffner
02-26-2014, 09:33 PM
I will take some abuse with you... she makes catchy music and I like it.

I hang her between Black Sabbath and an Alice Cooper I own. It's hard to get me there lol...

Dom Heffner
02-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Here's my Black Sabbath:

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/image-836

And Alice Cooper:

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/image-888

dougdirt
02-26-2014, 10:07 PM
That Alice Cooper one is amazing. I love the artwork there and the signature blends in so well. Seriously a wonderful piece.

Dom Heffner
02-26-2014, 10:13 PM
That Alice Cooper one is amazing. I love the artwork there and the signature blends in so well. Seriously a wonderful piece.

Thank you, Doug.

I'll give it a rest and post some more when I can.

fearofpopvol1
02-27-2014, 12:28 AM
Dom, can I be included in your will?

Seriously, awesome pieces. Better yet, AMAZING pieces. I really enjoyed drooling, along with Doug. Feel free to post as often as you can and want.

Also, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I have a Taylor Swift as well. I think she has a good chance at having a real career.

Dom Heffner
02-27-2014, 10:24 AM
This story that ran on FOX 19 last night featured Roger Epperson, the authenticator who certified both my Dylan and Zeppelin pieces.

http://m.fox19.com/#!/newsDetail/24831988

Dom Heffner
02-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Dom, can I be included in your will?

Seriously, awesome pieces. Better yet, AMAZING pieces. I really enjoyed drooling, along with Doug. Feel free to post as often as you can and want.

Also, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I have a Taylor Swift as well. I think she has a good chance at having a real career.

Yes! You can be in my will! lol...

Thanks for the kind words.

As I get time, I'll post more.

Dom Heffner
02-27-2014, 01:10 PM
For Thursday, here's my Joan Jett:

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/joan-jett

dougdirt
02-27-2014, 05:49 PM
For Thursday, here's my Joan Jett:

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/joan-jett

I really hope you pay that person to stand there and hold it in a room in your home rather than having it frames and hung up. Another great looking piece.

Dom Heffner
02-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Here's a 24x36 Madonna Herb Ritts poster.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/image-745

Dom Heffner
02-28-2014, 10:53 AM
For Friday, Tom Cruise.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/image-818

Dom Heffner
02-28-2014, 10:58 AM
And to make you smile, a surprise.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/image-831

Dom Heffner
02-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Julia Roberts may be a multimillionaire but if she's signing for you, she's inscribing, adding pretty much nothing to my net worth. Though "lights are on" in the photo, so I have that going for me.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/image-642

dougdirt
02-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Looks like that site is down for the time being Dom. I have checked the link several times throughout the day and it still isn't working. I really want to know what this surprise is!

Dom Heffner
02-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Looks like that site is down for the time being Dom. I have checked the link several times throughout the day and it still isn't working. I really want to know what this surprise is!

They've been down all day.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I wonder if they got hacked. The owner of the site was the one featured on the FOX 19 (Cincinnati) piece about busting Coach's Corner for supplying phoney items to a local charity (Rusty Ball?).

These guys are pretty vindictive....Coach's Corner is one of those operations where the advanced collector's know their stuff is bad but nobody has been able to stop them for years. And when they get questioned they go on the attack....

I'm probably wrong, but it's pretty coincidental.

Kingspoint
02-28-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm probably wrong, but it's pretty coincidental.

And you seem to always go against conspiracy theories, so it must be pretty damning evidence.

[I collected hundreds of autographs of NBA players (and the older globetrotters from the sixties/seventies) as they came through town. Once followed Nate Thurmond for three blocks asking him for his autograph (I was 13), being as polite as possible, trying to come up with a number of reasons why he would want to give me his autograph, but I didn't get it. Was in the hotel of the Knicks' team from '72-'73. Got every single Knick. But, the Knicks' players were always obliging. Got "Abdul"'s auotgraph where I was standing stairing at his knee while he was on the first step of the bus....ran around to the other side after that and got "Big O"'s. Couldn't get "Tiny's". "Don't give no autograph!", as he stepped into his limo.

Mickey Mantle was the biggest jerk of anyone ever, though. He was purely a horse's ass. But, then this was common knowledge about him, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. (Ironically, six months before Mickey Mantle passed away, he had an epiphany with a change of soul. The new, humble, remorseful, and respectful Mantle was a marvelous human being after that.) At a baseball clinic for kids and coaches where kids paid $10 (in those days, parents didn't pay for things like they do for today's spoiled brats...if a kid wanted to attend something like that, he earned the money himself, got himself to the event) for a ticket, he was the only person there who refused to give anyone an autograph. Billy Martin, Harry-the-Hat Walker, Maury Wills (and one other) all gave autographs after the event was over. But, at least Mantle showed up (it was a Pete Ward, former Yankee, event), where Pete Rose blew it off.

When I was in college, and 19, I was tired of moving my autographs around along with my baseball cards and I threw them all away in a dumpster. Yes, it was me, not my mom, who threw away over ten thousand dollars in baseball cards (had about six thousand well-cared for cards from 1970 and 1971...., ironically, I ran the baseball card side of a coin shop in 1985-1987.....a year later I was buying airline stocks...a couple of back-to-back bad financial decisions, but I also bought financial stocks and kept plugging away. Some trial-and-error in my young adulthood.)

Dom Heffner
02-28-2014, 08:36 PM
And you seem to always go against conspiracy theories, so it must be pretty damning evidence.

[I collected hundreds of autographs of NBA players (and the older globetrotters from the sixties/seventies) as they came through town. Once followed Nate Thurmond for three blocks asking him for his autograph (I was 13), being as polite as possible, trying to come up with a number of reasons why he would want to give me his autograph, but I didn't get it. Was in the hotel of the Knicks' team from '72-'73. Got every single Knick. But, the Knicks' players were always obliging. Got "Abdul"'s auotgraph where I was standing stairing at his knee while he was on the first step of the bus....ran around to the other side after that and got "Big O"'s. Couldn't get "Tiny's". "Don't give no autograph!", as he stepped into his limo.

Mickey Mantle was the biggest jerk of anyone ever, though. He was purely a horse's ass. But, then this was common knowledge about him, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. (Ironically, six months before Mickey Mantle passed away, he had an epiphany with a change of soul. The new, humble, remorseful, and respectful Mantle was a marvelous human being after that.) At a baseball clinic for kids and coaches where kids paid $10 (in those days, parents didn't pay for things like they do for today's spoiled brats...if a kid wanted to attend something like that, he earned the money himself, got himself to the event) for a ticket, he was the only person there who refused to give anyone an autograph. Billy Martin, Harry-the-Hat Walker, Maury Wills (and one other) all gave autographs after the event was over. But, at least Mantle showed up (it was a Pete Ward, former Yankee, event), where Pete Rose blew it off.

When I was in college, and 19, I was tired of moving my autographs around along with my baseball cards and I threw them all away in a dumpster. Yes, it was me, not my mom, who threw away over ten thousand dollars in baseball cards (had about six thousand well-cared for cards from 1970 and 1971...., ironically, I ran the baseball card side of a coin shop in 1985-1987.....a year later I was buying airline stocks...a couple of back-to-back bad financial decisions, but I also bought financial stocks and kept plugging away. Some trial-and-error in my young adulthood.)

And I should have stuck with my no conspiracy theories! Looking at their site, some people have been posting all day.

Great, great stories Kingspoint. I enjoyed reading your post.

Dom Heffner
02-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Here's the NY Times Article on Michael Wehrmann, in person collector extraordinaire.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/17/magazine/how-to-get-an-autograph-value-2000.html

The article also mentions a guy named Rich- he obtained Marlon Brando's signature for me, one of my favorite pieces.

dougdirt
02-28-2014, 08:50 PM

Just don't get Dom going on ghosts or aliens..... :laugh:

Dom Heffner
02-28-2014, 08:53 PM
Just don't get Dom going on ghosts or aliens..... :laugh:

Or bigfoot...any of that stuff....lol

dougdirt
02-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Or bigfoot...any of that stuff....lol

I want to believe in bigfoot. I do believe in ghosts and aliens.

Yeah, I started. Lol.

Dom Heffner
02-28-2014, 08:58 PM
I want to believe in bigfoot. I do believe in ghosts and aliens.

Yeah, I started. Lol.

I'm a kindler, gentler Dom Heffner these days. I only get riled up over pot and George Zimmerman now.

dougdirt
02-28-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm a kindler, gentler Dom Heffner these days. I only get riled up over pot and George Zimmerman now.

Well fortunately for all of us, I have no desire to talk about those things.

Back to the autograph thread....

I have hundreds, yet only three are on display right now because I am just too worried about the sun killing them (and one of them faces the wall - it's a baseball - just so it doesn't fade as quickly, but it will eventually because it is a sharpie on a baseball - I didn't have a pen and neither did he). The only two I have displayed that anyone can see are two photos that I took autographed by the players themselves. Literally the only ones in the world, so that makes them cool, right?

Dom Heffner
02-28-2014, 09:09 PM
Well fortunately for all of us, I have no desire to talk about those things.

Back to the autograph thread....

I have hundreds, yet only three are on display right now because I am just too worried about the sun killing them (and one of them faces the wall - it's a baseball - just so it doesn't fade as quickly, but it will eventually because it is a sharpie on a baseball - I didn't have a pen and neither did he). The only two I have displayed that anyone can see are two photos that I took autographed by the players themselves. Literally the only ones in the world, so that makes them cool, right?

Ah, the sun. It's got me a few times. Most of mine are on display in a room we blacked out and made into a movie theater.

But with yours- pictures! LOL

dougdirt
02-28-2014, 09:30 PM
Ah, the sun. It's got me a few times. Most of mine are on display in a room we blacked out and made into a movie theater.

But with yours- pictures! LOL

Yeah, I keep the room they are in pretty dark because I have a projector in here for a television and since I didn't spend $3000+ on it, it needs to be a little bit darker than normal to use it. Watching things before noon usually doesn't work in that room.

Dom Heffner
03-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Tina Turner.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/image-650

Dom Heffner
03-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Elton John.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/image-908

Dom Heffner
03-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Cher.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/image-584

Dom Heffner
03-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Paul McCartney.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/image-659

fearofpopvol1
03-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Julia Roberts may be a multimillionaire but if she's signing for you, she's inscribing, adding pretty much nothing to my net worth. Though "lights are on" in the photo, so I have that going for me.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/image-642

Did you meet her in person or something since it is personalized? When I first started out collecting, I started to get some personalized until I realized that no one would ever want one that was personalized. And in some cases, I really don't mind. My Wilco autograph is personalized and it's one of my favorites. The Dave Matthews one is personalized too, although I got that one many many years ago long before I ever started collecting. The Lady Gaga one is personalized too, but for some reason, I don't mind. I think that even though it definitely decreases the value, in a way it's cool because you get to see more of the person's handwriting.

I've never had someone mandate that something be personalized. I do have a Polaroid that I took with someone that is also personalized from a long time ago attached here (though I'm cropping myself out)!

Dom Heffner
03-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Did you meet her in person or something since it is personalized? When I first started out collecting, I started to get some personalized until I realized that no one would ever want one that was personalized. And in some cases, I really don't mind. My Wilco autograph is personalized and it's one of my favorites. The Dave Matthews one is personalized too, although I got that one many many years ago long before I ever started collecting. The Lady Gaga one is personalized too, but for some reason, I don't mind. I think that even though it definitely decreases the value, in a way it's cool because you get to see more of the person's handwriting.

I've never had someone mandate that something be personalized. I do have a Polaroid that I took with someone that is also personalized from a long time ago attached here (though I'm cropping myself out)!

I did not meet her- the person who got it was getting it for me so when she said it had to be personalized, he had to make a call...

I still paid him, even though I knew I was getting a little shafted on the price we agreed on .

I didn't care, I had no intention of selling it. Eighteen years later I still feel the
same way.

That Springsteen is awesome. Awesome!

fearofpopvol1
03-04-2014, 02:07 PM
I did not meet her- the person who got it was getting it for me so when she said it had to be personalized, he had to make a call...

I still paid him, even though I knew I was getting a little shafted on the price we agreed on .

I didn't care, I had no intention of selling it. Eighteen years later I still feel the
same way.

That Springsteen is awesome. Awesome!

Interesting. I wonder if she still mandates that? Here is a trick I have heard the dealers talk about in the instances where someone requires a name. Tell them that your name is Loue, and make sure to spell it for them. The letter "u" could be passed off as a "v" and there you go! I still wonder if the person signing wouldn't think twice about that? Maybe it depends on the person. I have never tried it myself.

Also, I must retract what i said about earlier. There was 1 person who mandated my name when they signed for me...Judi Dench. I really didn't/don't mind though.

Redsfaithful
03-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Hey Dom, any thoughts on whether the "All Access VIP" package would be worth it at the National Collectors Convention?

http://nsccshow.com/vip_tickets.shtml

The show: http://nsccshow.com/

Some interesting names, but I have no idea if they are common signers or not. I'd be interested in guys like Jim Brown and Dr. J. Probably Deion Sanders also.

I've never gotten into autographs at all, but since this is in Cleveland I'm thinking of taking my father in law. Not in love with the idea of standing in line for hours, so was looking at the VIP and thought you might have some general insight.

Dom Heffner
03-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Hey Dom, any thoughts on whether the "All Access VIP" package would be worth it at the National Collectors Convention?

http://nsccshow.com/vip_tickets.shtml

The show: http://nsccshow.com/

Some interesting names, but I have no idea if they are common signers or not. I'd be interested in guys like Jim Brown and Dr. J. Probably Deion Sanders also.

I've never gotten into autographs at all, but since this is in Cleveland I'm thinking of taking my father in law. Not in love with the idea of standing in line for hours, so was looking at the VIP and thought you might have some general insight.

First thing I would do is search the web for the experience of past VIP purchasers.

See what their experience was in year's past.

I would think you'll be okay here- these people are there to sign autographs so it should be a good buy.

VIP's for rock concerts are quite different- I'd always be very cautious with meet and greets and such. They are a totally different experience with each band.

Something like you're asking about- see if there are reviews, if not you should still be okay. You just want to make sure you get the sigs you want and that the package gives you an advantage in getting them.

Dom Heffner
03-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Interesting. I wonder if she still mandates that? Here is a trick I have heard the dealers talk about in the instances where someone requires a name. Tell them that your name is Loue, and make sure to spell it for them. The letter "u" could be passed off as a "v" and there you go! I still wonder if the person signing wouldn't think twice about that? Maybe it depends on the person. I have never tried it myself.

Also, I must retract what i said about earlier. There was 1 person who mandated my name when they signed for me...Judi Dench. I really didn't/don't mind though.

I should say Julia only mandated it on oversize items or really nice pictures. Most 8x10's and index cards weren 't an issue. She's not signing a movie poster or book photo without inscribing it...she was TOUGH for awhile there , not sure if it's better now.

Your inscription trick is cool. Most of the autograph hounds carried glossies and then just applied acetone to remove the inscription.

Robin Givens wouldn't sign her nude photos, so guys would draw bikinis on her in Sharpie, have her sign it, and then apply the acetone to remove the bikini lol...

Why these celebrities care is beyond me...

You could bring a stack of photos to Brad Pitt and he'd sit there, for 20 minutes, examining each photo- I'll sign this one, not going to sign this one...just strange. Though, he is one gracious signer, I'll add that.

fearofpopvol1
04-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Pele was a bust for me. Apparently it was a diaster...

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/pele-book-signing-debacle-in-nyc?commentId=3524372%3AComment%3A538550&xg_source=activity

Thankfully I didn't waste too much time here. I saw how crazy the line was an hour before the singing and bowed out. He had a couple of other appearances that I tried for. He briefly signed at 1 (thought it didn't make it to me) and all of the other ones he refused. No wonder his autograph is valuable.

Dom Heffner
05-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Here's the latest acquisition- a Robert Plant signed guitar with a lyric from Stairway to Heaven. The cool thing is he added "Agh!" afterwards, showing his own tiredness of the song, which is well documented. Pretty sweet.

http://api.ning.com/files/ujcza9N5GbIRmbh5yr51y5O8hiRQyg5yXU5RYcvZg9ZEgcEECn VDyWkdvBc*GsRibss4hibIExJstKcAAKxYpB6Y1m-rBY1c/image.jpg

fearofpopvol1
05-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Was able to get this the other day. I would've loved a ball instead, but it wasn't an option as they had strict rules. I think the signature looks great though!

fearofpopvol1
05-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Here's the latest acquisition- a Robert Plant signed guitar with a lyric from Stairway to Heaven. The cool thing is he added "Agh!" afterwards, showing his own tiredness of the song, which is well documented. Pretty sweet.

http://api.ning.com/files/ujcza9N5GbIRmbh5yr51y5O8hiRQyg5yXU5RYcvZg9ZEgcEECn VDyWkdvBc*GsRibss4hibIExJstKcAAKxYpB6Y1m-rBY1c/image.jpg

beautiful. how'd you acquire?

Dom Heffner
05-09-2014, 11:01 PM
beautiful. how'd you acquire?

It was from Zeppelin collector. It included a photo of Plant, shirtless, playing the guitar after he signed it...gold pen still in hand. Exact proof..Lance said the guy who got it was a friend of his...the picture is taken backstage somewhere. November if 1993- that had to be Page/Plant tour...

Dom Heffner
05-10-2014, 08:13 AM

fearofpopvol1
06-11-2014, 02:19 PM
I got Amare Stoudemire yesterday at a book signing. A friend is a huge fan so I decided to grab an extra book myself. I showed up 15 minutes before it started and was out the door 15 minutes later. If only they all were that easy.

I was going to try for Hillary...until I saw that the first guy lined up the day before. I'm not sure when the 2nd person lined up, but still. I also called the store right when it opened and the clerk said there were already 600 people outside and the signing was still an hour away from starting. Yeah, no thanks.

Dom Heffner
06-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Picked up this Rolling Stones Signed Tour Lithograph signed by Mick, Keith, and Charlie.

They made only 25 of them and somehow one was sitting on their website with the caption "Sold Out" over the photo but the choice to order only one that was in stock.

Probably worth three times what I paid- unreal.

It's the 1972 tour poster in the photo. At one point they were offering it free if you would buy a $2000 lithograph kit. They also offered only five of them for sale separately at an outrageously low price. This must have been one of them. I found it in a Google search that brought up a page to buy it but you couldn't see it on their web store. Weird, but lucky me.

Dom Heffner
06-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Here's another cool piece. This is a signed/played/owned guitar from Pat Smear of the Foo Fighters. He smashed it at a Germs concert in 2006 and signed it on the back for the lucky guy who got it. He also took a photo of him with the kid.

Just last month the new owner of the guitar got the current Foo Fighters to sign it and pose for pictures with it. Signed by David, Nate, Pat, Taylor, and Chris on the body in silver ink.

Pat Smear verified it was his guitar and said he even used with the Foos at one point. There's no neck stock as he smashed it pretty good.

fearofpopvol1
06-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Picked up this Rolling Stones Signed Tour Lithograph signed by Mick, Keith, and Charlie.

They made only 25 of them and somehow one was sitting on their website with the caption "Sold Out" over the photo but the choice to order only one that was in stock.

Probably worth three times what I paid- unreal.

It's the 1972 tour poster in the photo. At one point they were offering it free if you would buy a $2000 lithograph kit. They also offered only five of them for sale separately at an outrageously low price. This must have been one of them. I found it in a Google search that brought up a page to buy it but you couldn't see it on their web store. Weird, but lucky me.

How much did you pay, if you don't mind my asking? What a great piece/find!

fearofpopvol1
06-27-2014, 07:46 PM

Got this last night. I'm typically not a fan of silver, but it's actually pretty cool. I just have to store it away from light and keep it cool. There was a strict policy about him only singing stuff from the play as well which wasn't ideal, but oh well. He's easily the most generous broadway signer I've seen. Anyone that went to the play and waited around after, he would sign your program AND take a photo with you. Every person. And let me tell, you the line was deep. I'd guess 200 people or so. And I was told he does it nightly, 6 days a week. That's generous.

Dom Heffner
06-27-2014, 08:09 PM
How much did you pay, if you don't mind my asking? What a great piece/find!

$400. It 's at least a $1000 piece.

I love the Stones because they are very aware of their history.

Ronnie Wood didn't sign it because he wasn 't in the band then.

It would have been super to have Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman sign but fat chance on that. At leadt Wyman, anyway.

Dom Heffner
06-27-2014, 08:16 PM

Got this last night. I'm typically not a fan of silver, but it's actually pretty cool. I just have to store it away from light and keep it cool. There was a strict policy about him only singing stuff from the play as well which wasn't ideal, but oh well. He's easily the most generous broadway signer I've seen. Anyone that went to the play and waited around after, he would sign your program AND take a photo with you. Every person. And let me tell, you the line was deep. I'd guess 200 people or so. And I was told he does it nightly, 6 days a week. That's generous.

Keep the silver away from light? Never heard that. I keep my blue sharpie stuff in the dark. The silver and gold pens I always thought were not affected by light.

I hatee the blue sharpies. They will fade big time in sunlight.

Dom Heffner
06-27-2014, 08:18 PM
That is awesome that Bryan Cranston does that. And a nice signature to boot. You need to show that to Al Pacino.

fearofpopvol1
06-27-2014, 11:59 PM
$400. It 's at least a $1000 piece.

I love the Stones because they are very aware of their history.

Ronnie Wood didn't sign it because he wasn 't in the band then.

It would have been super to have Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman sign but fat chance on that. At leadt Wyman, anyway.

That's a fantastic pickup, seriously. I will await being added to your will.

fearofpopvol1
06-28-2014, 12:10 AM
Keep the silver away from light? Never heard that. I keep my blue sharpie stuff in the dark. The silver and gold pens I always thought were not affected by light.

I hatee the blue sharpies. They will fade big time in sunlight.

Oh I don't know if silver fades in light, but I'm a bit of hypochondriac now when any autograph is exposed to light after I had this great Roots piece fade after it was exposed to light (it was signed in red). I had heard though that silver fades with time, so I figured light probably wouldn't help that. I don't know how accurate that is though because I've not owned any piece signed in silver long enough to really know. The only other notable pieces I have is 1 silver autographed Elvis Costello photo, which I've had now for about 3-4 years and so far it's held up well out of the light. I also have this great John Mayer hand numbered (by him) piece of his first record that came out in 2001 that is in gold. It's actually held up quite well, I must say.

However, I'm curious about what you said regarding blue. All of the dealers that I inevitably run into prefer blue if at all possible. They say the color fades less than black. I typically try for blue but don't mind if it's black. Is that not your experience?

The only other person I saw that was super generous on broadway to the degree that Cranston is was Matthew Broderick. He might have been even better because he would sign anything you brought and would take photos too and he really took his time doing both. BUT...the demand for him was much less than Cranston so it was fewer people. And speaking of Al Pacino, I may have mentioned this before, but when he was on broadway, I had him sign both a program and a photo. The signature on the photo was terrible, but the signature on my program was really good. A dealer that was standing next to me that evening said he was jealous and that it was the best autograph he'd seen from Pacino in years. Whenever I come across it, I'll scan it in and post it here.

Dom Heffner
06-28-2014, 12:28 AM
I have pieces that are twenty years old: gold, silver, blue, black. The only ones that have faded terribly are the blue ones.

Black can fade- it does depend on how thick the pen stroke is. A bold sig with a thicker pen will last a long way.

I keep my stuff in darkness- It has solved the fading issue.

Dom Heffner
06-28-2014, 12:30 AM
Oh I don't know if silver fades in light, but I'm a bit of hypochondriac now when any autograph is exposed to light after I had this great Roots piece fade after it was exposed to light (it was signed in red). I had heard though that silver fades with time, so I figured light probably wouldn't help that. I don't know how accurate that is though because I've not owned any piece signed in silver long enough to really know. The only other notable pieces I have is 1 silver autographed Elvis Costello photo, which I've had now for about 3-4 years and so far it's held up well out of the light. I also have this great John Mayer hand numbered (by him) piece of his first record that came out in 2001 that is in gold. It's actually held up quite well, I must say.

However, I'm curious about what you said regarding blue. All of the dealers that I inevitably run into prefer blue if at all possible. They say the color fades less than black. I typically try for blue but don't mind if it's black. Is that not your experience?

The only other person I saw that was super generous on broadway to the degree that Cranston is was Matthew Broderick. He might have been even better because he would sign anything you brought and would take photos too and he really took his time doing both. BUT...the demand for him was much less than Cranston so it was fewer people. And speaking of Al Pacino, I may have mentioned this before, but when he was on broadway, I had him sign both a program and a photo. The signature on the photo was terrible, but the signature on my program was really good. A dealer that was standing next to me that evening said he was jealous and that it was the best autograph he'd seen from Pacino in years. Whenever I come across it, I'll scan it in and post it here.

Pacino did a private signing two years back where he took his time and signed his full name. You can still get them on ebay. Oversize Godfather and Scarface prints in silver. Gorgeous...I just don't want to spend $300-$500 on a sig that just isnt that rare.

Dom Heffner
06-28-2014, 12:34 AM
Here's a pic of one of the Pacino's. Another readon I don't want it is the PSA sticker. Ruins it for me.

Go to ebay, type in "Pacino ITP " and you'll see all the variations.7418

fearofpopvol1
06-28-2014, 12:34 AM
I have pieces that are twenty years old: gold, silver, blue, black. The only ones that have faded terribly are the blue ones.

Black can fade- it does depend on how thick the pen stroke is. A bold sig with a thicker pen will last a long way.

I keep my stuff in darkness- It has solved the fading issue.

So do you think using one of those thicker sharpies is better than a regular one? Or perhaps it just depends on the signer and how hard they press down?

fearofpopvol1
06-28-2014, 12:36 AM
Here's a pic of one of the Pacino's. Another readon I don't want it is the PSA sticker. Ruins it for me.

Go to ebay, type in "Pacino ITP " and you'll see all the variations.7418

Yeah I have to say, this looks similar I believe to the one I have, which in person in front of a bunch of people where he is already kind of rushing, ain't too bad. Although I wish it were on one of these prints instead of his broadway program.

Dom Heffner
06-28-2014, 12:42 AM
That's a fantastic pickup, seriously. I will await being added to your will.

Here's the thing. Keith and Charlie added "2010," so these have been out there for four years. The only way to have found it was to do what I did, randomly: do a google search for "Rolling Stones signed." search through Google images and click on a pic that had "sold out" plastered across it.

The copy on the link said that the Stones signed them as gifts for their camp and they had a few left over. It's in this really heavy museum paper and hand numbered. I have 4/25. I wholly expected to order and then get a note saying they made a mistake. I could hardly sleep for two nights while I waited for a tracking number. It came and I lost three more nights sleep while it made its way to Florida.

I am one happy guy.

Dom Heffner
06-28-2014, 12:45 AM
Yeah I have to say, this looks similar I believe to the one I have, which in person in front of a bunch of people where he is already kind of rushing, ain't too bad. Although I wish it were on one of these prints instead of his broadway program.

There's something about Playbills. John C Reilly will only sign those.

Speaking of playbills there's a Streetcar Named Desire one signed by the whole cast including Brando right now on ebay. Sigh.

fearofpopvol1
06-28-2014, 12:45 AM
Here's the thing. Keith and Charlie added "2010," so these have been out there for four years. The only way to have found it was to do what I did, randomly: do a google search for "Rolling Stones signed." search through Google images and click on a pic that had "sold out" plastered across it.

The copy on the link said that the Stones signed them as gifts for their camp and they had a few left over. It's in this really heavy museum paper and hand numbered. I have 4/25. I wholly expected to order and then get a note saying they made a mistake. I could hardly sleep for two nights while I waited for a tracking number. It came and I lost three more nights sleep while it made its way to Florida.

I am one happy guy.

Haha, man I love stories like that. I have not bought many (maybe even any?) autographs, but I would've made an exception for 1 like that. It really pays to do your research. It obviously paid off big time.

Dom Heffner
06-28-2014, 12:50 AM
So do you think using one of those thicker sharpies is better than a regular one? Or perhaps it just depends on the signer and how hard they press down?

I think thicker is better but you are at the mercy of luck sometimes.

Sean Penn signed a photo so fast that it looked faded the day he did it.

There 's a signed Led Zeppelin double neck epiphone guitar inline that is tbe real deal that I avoided because Jimmy Page signed in blue on a pearl pickguard. The risk of fading is just too great. Or smudging.

That's why I love the Foo Fighter guitar- that silver paint should hold up.

fearofpopvol1
06-28-2014, 12:52 AM
Most actors and actresses are really picky when they are on broadway. They typically will only sign playbills. There are some exceptions like Broderick and Pacino (with a lousy signature), but I guess they don't want dealers making a killing and this makes it too easy for them. One dealer told me that you can sometimes get them to sign outside of a Playbill, but the trick is you have to either catch them on opening night (before they become jaded) or catch them on their way into the theatre. Haven't tried either, but I'm open to trying the opening night thing even though I'd have to think it's a circus.

Jut looked up that Streetcar playbill...wow! Is that a good deal? Is it authentic? I'm surprised a bit that it's not worth more given how old it is?

fearofpopvol1
06-28-2014, 12:56 AM
I think thicker is better but you are at the mercy of luck sometimes.

Sean Penn signed a photo so fast that it looked faded the day he did it.

There 's a signed Led Zeppelin double neck epiphone guitar inline that is tbe real deal that I avoided because Jimmy Page signed in blue on a pearl pickguard. The risk of fading is just too great. Or smudging.

That's why I love the Foo Fighter guitar- that silver paint should hold up.

Yeah that is what I hate...it all happens so quickly and they rarely take their time here. I understand it to some extent...because they are usually on their way in or out of somewhere and there are mobs of people. When I got a Jimmy Carter book autographed, he actually signed it with a pen! Pretty rare these days. Speaking of which, I really want to get George H. W. Bush before he passes, but anything short of going to Houston and getting lucky, I don't see it happening.

Dom Heffner
06-28-2014, 12:59 AM
I think it's worth a grand but about six months ago a guy sold one where the five main characters signed in pencil ( never fades, the best) for $400.

Some luck involved there.

About 20 years ago they could sell for two thousand. Sometimes the older stars fall a bit in value as their fans die off.

Marlon Brando was a freaking tough autograph. He'd tell you to get your head examined for asking for it.

fearofpopvol1
06-28-2014, 01:00 AM
I think it's worth a grand but about six months ago a guy sold one where the five main characters signed in pencil ( never fades, the best) for $400.

Some luck involved there.

About 20 years ago they could sell for two thousand. Sometimes the older stars fall a bit in value as their fans die off.

Marlon Brando was a freaking tough autograph. He'd tell you to get your head examined for asking for it.

I assume you mean in his later years? The older ones I think just become more selfish with their time. Not all of course, but some. They've been at it for too long and just want to be left alone!

Dom Heffner
06-28-2014, 07:24 AM
I assume you mean in his later years? The older ones I think just become more selfish with their time. Not all of course, but some. They've been at it for too long and just want to be left alone!

I'm all over the place, sorry about that.

I just mean the monetary value of signatures. Sometimes they fall because the people who gave a hoot about the celebrity die off.

With a guy like Brando- his authentic signatures are pretty rare and the prices that used to be sky high have fallen.

fearofpopvol1
06-28-2014, 12:19 PM
I'm all over the place, sorry about that.

I just mean the monetary value of signatures. Sometimes they fall because the people who gave a hoot about the celebrity die off.

With a guy like Brando- his authentic signatures are pretty rare and the prices that used to be sky high have fallen.

Oh...I just meant was Brando tougher to get in his later years to sign? Or was he always notorious for being tough?

Dom Heffner
06-28-2014, 02:19 PM
Oh...I just meant was Brando tougher to get in his later years to sign? Or was he always notorious for being tough?

Easier when he was younger, yes , but there isnt a large quantity available from that time period.

fearofpopvol1
06-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Easier when he was younger, yes , but there isnt a large quantity available from that time period.

So do you think the LZ memorabilia will some day be worth less when all the boomers are extinct? I feel like somehow the Beatles stuff will remain valuable even after the Boomers. I wonder how the market will change.

You would think as these older actors/actresses were icons and there are fewer pieces in existence that would drive the price up. But I guess if the millennials and generation X people don't know or care about people, that would make a difference. I had never thought of what you said, but you raise an interesting point about the older actors having fewer fans around as time passes and that driving down the prices.

Dom Heffner
06-29-2014, 02:55 PM
So do you think the LZ memorabilia will some day be worth less when all the boomers are extinct? I feel like somehow the Beatles stuff will remain valuable even after the Boomers. I wonder how the market will change.

You would think as these older actors/actresses were icons and there are fewer pieces in existence that would drive the price up. But I guess if the millennials and generation X people don't know or care about people, that would make a difference. I had never thought of what you said, but you raise an interesting point about the older actors having fewer fans around as time passes and that driving down the prices.

I think music is different from film. Radio still plays rock. Not many kids seeing much of Brando's work.

But sure, the bottom could fall out of the Beatles one day. Will kids in 200 years care about them?

I think they will. But I also think the number of bands they care about will shrink.

Dylan, the Stones, Beatles... that stuff should always hold some sort of value.

Zeppelin? I think so but not to the degree of the above.

Dom Heffner
06-29-2014, 02:58 PM
I know a guy with a 100% legit signed Nirvana Mevermind piece.

And Im torn in getting it. For that type of money, is anyone going to care in 20 years?

They may, the value gain may have already sailed and Im hopping on the peak.

Im probably going to pass as they are a risky proposition anyway.

fearofpopvol1
06-29-2014, 07:40 PM
I know a guy with a 100% legit signed Nirvana Mevermind piece.

And Im torn in getting it. For that type of money, is anyone going to care in 20 years?

They may, the value gain may have already sailed and Im hopping on the peak.

Im probably going to pass as they are a risky proposition anyway.

I'd say it all comes down to price and what they want? I have heard and maybe you know better than I, and it kind of surprised me, that Cobain's autograph is not as valuable as one would think. The media obviously adores Cobain, but are there that many diehard Cobain/Nirvana fans anymore? I just don't feel like there are. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know any of 'em.

How do you feel about sports memorabilia? Do you think that will retain value better than movie stars? I feel like it probably will. Sports stuff I've found, especially by the legends, is harder to come by too. Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryan etc. I've heard even Albert Pujols is really valuable. I imagine your best bet is to wait until those guys go into retirement and get to them before they make a deal with upperdeck or some other autograph service.

I always wanted those BRM signed bats (especially with Sparky), but it was always too rich for my blood for what they wanted at the signings.

Dom Heffner
06-29-2014, 10:43 PM
I'd say it all comes down to price and what they want? I have heard and maybe you know better than I, and it kind of surprised me, that Cobain's autograph is not as valuable as one would think. The media obviously adores Cobain, but are there that many diehard Cobain/Nirvana fans anymore? I just don't feel like there are. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know any of 'em.

How do you feel about sports memorabilia? Do you think that will retain value better than movie stars? I feel like it probably will. Sports stuff I've found, especially by the legends, is harder to come by too. Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryan etc. I've heard even Albert Pujols is really valuable. I imagine your best bet is to wait until those guys go into retirement and get to them before they make a deal with upperdeck or some other autograph service.

I always wanted those BRM signed bats (especially with Sparky), but it was always too rich for my blood for what they wanted at the signings.

A legit Nirvana piece has some value. The problem with Cobain is that even if you have one that is real, nobody believes it. He signed his name like a little kid and it's pretty easy to fake. PSA finally said enough- they don't authenticate Cobain except for rare instances and when they do, it's like $300. There was a signed Nirvana piece that sold for 7 grand or so on ebay within the last few months...it has some value.

Sports memorbilia. Sigh. There are soooooo many freaking fakes, that is a tough hobby to get into unless you absolutely know what you are doing. The names you listed all have held their value pretty well.

Scarcity is key, though some guys like Mantle who signed a lot still hold up well because of the great demand.

I was surprised to see a giant 16x20 rookie picture of Johnny Bench sitting on ebay for months at $349. The best catcher of all time, oversized, for $349. Man that seems cheap.

I think if you collected the greats as you mentioned, you would do quite well.

I've limited my focus to rock and roll and just a few artists.

fearofpopvol1
06-29-2014, 11:41 PM
A legit Nirvana piece has some value. The problem with Cobain is that even if you have one that is real, nobody believes it. He signed his name like a little kid and it's pretty easy to fake. PSA finally said enough- they don't authenticate Cobain except for rare instances and when they do, it's like $300. There was a signed Nirvana piece that sold for 7 grand or so on ebay within the last few months...it has some value.

Sports memorbilia. Sigh. There are soooooo many freaking fakes, that is a tough hobby to get into unless you absolutely know what you are doing. The names you listed all have held their value pretty well.

Scarcity is key, though some guys like Mantle who signed a lot still hold up well because of the great demand.

I was surprised to see a giant 16x20 rookie picture of Johnny Bench sitting on ebay for months at $349. The best catcher of all time, oversized, for $349. Man that seems cheap.

I think if you collected the greats as you mentioned, you would do quite well.

Does the value of the other members of Nirvana add that much to the value? I feel like I've seen regular Cobain's go for a lot less. But I didn't realize that there were so many forgeries.

At this point, I'd probably only obtain sports people in person if/when I can. Was just curious if you thought the autos may retain their value in the future.

Dom Heffner
06-30-2014, 12:06 AM
Does the value of the other members of Nirvana add that much to the value? I feel like I've seen regular Cobain's go for a lot less. But I didn't realize that there were so many forgeries.

At this point, I'd probably only obtain sports people in person if/when I can. Was just curious if you thought the autos may retain their value in the future.

Most of the value with Nirvana is Cobain. You'll see them go cheap many times because they are most likely fake. Most seasoned collectors are absolutely afraid to plop down the money it takes because they fear getting burned. There's an entire thread on Autograph Live about this very dilemma. Worth a read. The signatures of Grohl and Novoselic just complete the piece, you are correct, not major value, though Grohl actually is worth some money if you get him on the right thing.

Sports stuff holds it value pretty well as long as you get the right names. Yankees, especially. That Autograph Live board would die if the Yankees never existed.

Dom Heffner
07-02-2014, 05:19 PM
7448Not really an autograph, but check this out: a handwritten set list from Nirvana. this is in Dave Grohl's hand. It is from the February 9, 1992 show in Auckland. It is written on the back of their itinerary from their performance at the Brisbane Music Festival. Still has the tape on it from being adhered to the stage. Just awesome.

fearofpopvol1
07-03-2014, 12:51 AM
7448Not really an autograph, but check this out: a handwritten set list from Nirvana. this is in Dave Grohl's hand. It is from the February 9, 1992 show in Auckland. It is written on the back of their itinerary from their performance at the Brisbane Music Festival. Still has the tape on it from being adhered to the stage. Just awesome.

that is SO cool! and crazy that it was almost 25 years ago. my goodness, where has the time gone.

Kingspoint
07-07-2014, 01:11 AM

I carried around, not an autograph of Ronnie Montrose, but his name and address on his deposit slip, in my wallet for a long time...from 1984 to about 1992. I was a teller at the bank and he gave me $4,000 to deposit. It was a copy of his deposit slip. Only myself and another girl in the bank even recognized who he was. I was timing the waiting line so that I'd end up with him. Yes. Wasn't supposed to do something like that, but it didn't hurt anyone. It was just for personal knowledge.

fearofpopvol1
08-16-2014, 01:20 AM

RIP to a legend

fearofpopvol1
08-18-2014, 09:30 PM
!!!

November 5, 2014
7:00 PM
Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page
Barnes & Noble Booksellers
33 East 17th Street
New York, NY 10003
212-253-0810

I'm very sad to say I don't think I can make it due to an out-of-town commitment. Why oh why? I know there is no way he'd sign anything outside of his book, but even that would be super rad.

Dom Heffner
08-18-2014, 11:58 PM
!!!

November 5, 2014
7:00 PM
Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page
Barnes & Noble Booksellers
33 East 17th Street
New York, NY 10003
212-253-0810

I'm very sad to say I don't think I can make it due to an out-of-town commitment. Why oh why? I know there is no way he'd sign anything outside of his book, but even that would be super rad.

Oh wow. That would be sweet. You need to xancel plans.

fearofpopvol1
08-19-2014, 02:33 PM
Oh wow. That would be sweet. You need to xancel plans.

I want to, I really do. But my significant other's cousin is getting married outside of the country then and I don't think I can bail. I'm bummed...bad timing.

OldRightHander
08-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Get someone to attend for you and get you a copy. Better than nothing.

fearofpopvol1
08-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Get someone to attend for you and get you a copy. Better than nothing.

Not a bad idea actually, but may prove to be difficult. This one will likely require a lot of time by getting there early. It's too hard to find people here in NYC willing to give up that much of their time. If this was something people could roll up for 5 minutes before, I think it would be possible but I'm just not seeing it here sadly.

Dom Heffner
08-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Not a bad idea actually, but may prove to be difficult. This one will likely require a lot of time by getting there early. It's too hard to find people here in NYC willing to give up that much of their time. If this was something people could roll up for 5 minutes before, I think it would be possible but I'm just not seeing it here sadly.

If I lived there I would do it for you.

fearofpopvol1
08-21-2014, 01:12 PM
If I lived there I would do it for you.

you're the best!!

Dom Heffner
09-12-2014, 08:27 PM

- - - Updated - - -

He isn't signing....

Joseph
09-12-2014, 08:59 PM
So he's stamping a book? Interesting. Haven't seen that before. I've seen them not sign and only agree to photos or whatnot, but never a stamp thing.

Dom Heffner
09-12-2014, 09:27 PM
So he's stamping a book? Interesting. Haven't seen that before. I've seen them not sign and only agree to photos or whatnot, but never a stamp thing.

Yeah, weird, huh?

He's trying to force people to buy from his website. The thing is, he's been a good signer for years, so if you really wanted one you can get it.

He's really being sort of a tool, here- just smile and sign and if people make some money, so be it. It's not like he'll be here in twenty years.

Dom Heffner
09-12-2014, 09:28 PM
He won't sign musical instruments or Zeppelin stuff anymore either.

fearofpopvol1
09-20-2014, 06:32 PM
He won't sign musical instruments or Zeppelin stuff anymore either.

So he won't sign any Zeppelin vinyl anywhere?

Gotta agree, stamping the book is the lamest thing I've ever heard of. I've seen some pre-sign their books or limit the number the copies they sign but never stamping! I did find out that he is doing another event that week though and that there could be an opportunity there but I'm sure it's going to be you know what show with collectors/dealers/fans, but I might be able to make that one if I can bear it out. I'm thinking if I bring his book I'd have a better chance of that getting signed.

fearofpopvol1
09-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Got this last night. There was a pretty big crowd there and you never know what will happen in those instances, but I'm happy nonetheless.

Dom Heffner
09-20-2014, 07:51 PM
So he won't sign any Zeppelin vinyl anywhere?

Gotta agree, stamping the book is the lamest thing I've ever heard of. I've seen some pre-sign their books or limit the number the copies they sign but never stamping! I did find out that he is doing another event that week though and that there could be an opportunity there but I'm sure it's going to be you know what show with collectors/dealers/fans, but I might be able to make that one if I can bear it out. I'm thinking if I bring his book I'd have a better chance of that getting signed.

From what I hear from the "in person" crowd, he doesn't sign Zeppelin stuff anymore. Robert Plant doesn't either.

- - - Updated - - -

Got this last night. There was a pretty big crowd there and you never know what will happen in those instances, but I'm happy nonetheless.

I can't see who this is from my phone...

fearofpopvol1
09-20-2014, 08:15 PM
From what I hear from the "in person" crowd, he doesn't sign Zeppelin stuff anymore. Robert Plant doesn't either.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't see who this is from my phone...

Maybe this will help...

Dom Heffner
09-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Sweet!

fearofpopvol1
09-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Sweet!

He had a pretty large turnout I thought compared to a lot of people I've tried. He's interesting because he appeals to the people that like classic rock that are older but also the people born in the 70s and 80s too. Very diverse group.

dougdirt
09-21-2014, 11:58 AM
I've heard of people stamping things before, but never for in-person "stampings". That's nuts.

Does anyone know why Page/Plant won't sign LZ stuff? That seems confusing to me. There's got to be good money to be made there, right?

Dom Heffner
09-21-2014, 12:16 PM
I've heard of people stamping things before, but never for in-person "stampings". That's nuts.

Does anyone know why Page/Plant won't sign LZ stuff? That seems confusing to me. There's got to be good money to be made there, right?

They hate that people chase them around to sign things that are just getting sold. If having all three of the living members signatures on a Zeppelin album makes it worth a few grand, people will chase them for that. I know a few collectors who don't bother with them anymore because of the change in habits.

Some think Page does it to make his signature more scarce so you'll buy his signed art.

Plant can be a generous signer, just not the Zeppelin stuff.

Page has been quoted as saying, "Yeah, I'm sort of done with that."

- - - Updated - - -

He had a pretty large turnout I thought compared to a lot of people I've tried. He's interesting because he appeals to the people that like classic rock that are older but also the people born in the 70s and 80s too. Very diverse group.

He's just cool and cool sells.

dougdirt
09-21-2014, 01:11 PM
If they don't want the resellers out there, then don't sign in public. But to just not sign it at all seems dumb from a business side of things. Set up something with the other guys, you all get the money and the fans can get what they want (assuming they can actually afford it). If the reseller has to pay $XYZA price to get it from the guys the resell value isn't going to be there.

Of course money may not be much of a concern for those guys....

Dom Heffner
09-21-2014, 06:03 PM
If they don't want the resellers out there, then don't sign in public. But to just not sign it at all seems dumb from a business side of things. Set up something with the other guys, you all get the money and the fans can get what they want (assuming they can actually afford it). If the reseller has to pay $XYZA price to get it from the guys the resell value isn't going to be there.

Of course money may not be much of a concern for those guys....

Jimmy Page gets what, $1500 per art print? He has 250 of them for sale...why not do that with the whole band?

Dom Heffner
09-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Just got a text from a friend who got John Paul Jones to sign three things last night, all Zeppelin items. He was not very nice about it, but he did sign the 3 out of 7 items given to him.

dougdirt
09-25-2014, 01:00 PM
I'm not so sure I'd be nice about it either if someone handed me SEVEN items to be signed and they didn't pay for the signing. Guys like that are why a lot of people don't sign anymore. If you ask for one item it comes off that you are keeping it. If you hand them seven, odds are you are selling all of them.

Dom Heffner
09-25-2014, 05:30 PM
I'm not so sure I'd be nice about it either if someone handed me SEVEN items to be signed and they didn't pay for the signing. Guys like that are why a lot of people don't sign anymore. If you ask for one item it comes off that you are keeping it. If you hand them seven, odds are you are selling all of them.

Absolutely agreed.

fearofpopvol1
10-02-2014, 03:53 PM
I usually try to bring 2 items with me whenever I try to get something signed. But if I walk away with 1, I'm thrilled. I'm not greedy at all and I've never sold anything I've procured thus far (though maybe a time will come when I do). In fact, when I do procure 2 of something, I typically give them away if I know someone that is a fan or I hold onto the extra with the idea of giving it away to someone who is a big fan once I find them.

Dom Heffner
10-03-2014, 12:40 AM
I'm trying to buy a Page/Plant signed guitar. Just waiting for the authenticator to get back with me.

fearofpopvol1
10-04-2014, 02:48 AM
Looks like Plant is doing the Colbert show on 10/9. I'm sure it's going to be nuts, but maybe it's worth trying for. What item would you suggest Dom as the in-house LZ expert?

BluegrassRedleg
10-04-2014, 04:26 AM
OT, but if you haven't checked out Plant's new CD, I highly recommend it. Best stuff he's done in a long time.

Dom Heffner
10-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Looks like Plant is doing the Colbert show on 10/9. I'm sure it's going to be nuts, but maybe it's worth trying for. What item would you suggest Dom as the in-house LZ expert?

You'll hate me- you need one of his solo lPs/cds.

Maybe bring a Zeppelin item and see how he is with others and then you can present your item accordingly.

Dom Heffner
10-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Had a shot at a Joan Jett signed concert used guitar- it was only $400, but I hesitated because though I believed the seller, I couldn't put the guitar in her hand as having owned it.

fearofpopvol1
10-06-2014, 11:27 AM
You'll hate me- you need one of his solo lPs/cds.

Maybe bring a Zeppelin item and see how he is with others and then you can present your item accordingly.

I don't mind if it's a solo piece. Obviously I'd prefer something LZ but I'm not opposed to that.

As a side note, Mick Fleetwood is doing a book signing tomorrow. You think it's worth going to? Does his autograph have any value?

Dom Heffner
10-06-2014, 12:26 PM
I don't mind if it's a solo piece. Obviously I'd prefer something LZ but I'm not opposed to that.

As a side note, Mick Fleetwood is doing a book signing tomorrow. You think it's worth going to? Does his autograph have any value?

His signature is only valuable if it's a group piece, and good luck getting that these days.

You're looking at $35-$150, depending on what it is on. If he'll sign Mac items, get a vinyl copy of Rumours...it would net you the most. Or maybe a drum head.

fearofpopvol1
10-06-2014, 12:49 PM
His signature is only valuable if it's a group piece, and good luck getting that these days.

You're looking at $35-$150, depending on what it is on. If he'll sign Mac items, get a vinyl copy of Rumours...it would net you the most. Or maybe a drum head.

It's a book signing, so it would be his new book. They are super strict about that and not signing anything but the book unfortunately as I've found out from past signings.

Dom Heffner
10-06-2014, 04:58 PM
It's a book signing, so it would be his new book. They are super strict about that and not signing anything but the book unfortunately as I've found out from past signings.

I saw the book for sale on ebay thorugh pre-order going for $150 through charity. Not sure you'll net that, but depending on how much time you think you'll spend in line, it may be worth it.

fearofpopvol1
10-07-2014, 02:33 PM
i didn't end up going. those noon book signings are a blessing and a curse. it's nice because there are fewer people generally that attend, but it sucks because i can't always break away from work (like today). oh well.

fearofpopvol1
10-15-2014, 11:54 AM

Got this guy yesterday. He refused to sign anything on 2 occasions about a year ago, which still to this day irks me. But at least I finally got him.

fearofpopvol1
10-15-2014, 01:10 PM
As a side note, I heard from another guy in line who was ahead of me that he was talking on his phone as he was signing books! I can't say I'm surprised given my prior experiences but I've never witnessed such a thing. I would definitely rate him as the rudest one I've come across.

And I should give a nod to the nicest (if I haven't already in this thread)...Matt Damon. Probably the most fan-friendly celebrity I've encountered.

fearofpopvol1
11-25-2014, 11:56 AM
dom clear out your inbox

Dom Heffner
01-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Fearofpop, clean out your inbox! lol

Kingspoint
01-07-2015, 06:11 PM
The Antiques Roadshow had a bonanza on this week (New York City, season 19, Ep 1, I believe). $1M worth of baseball cards never before seen. 1871 Boston Red Stockings, who were mostly ex Cincinnati Red Stockings, along with sentences of comment about the place they were boarding at with signatures from the Wright Brothers, Spaulding, etc. Looked like a complete set of cards of the team and they were in very good condition (though most were cut to fit into a display that the 65-year old's grandfather put together. He got them from his Mom who was the woman who boarded them and cooked "terribly" for them). The A.R. representative started tearing up when speaking about them, she was so happy to see them. It was pretty cool.

Dom Heffner
02-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Here is a stage used Stevie Nick's tambourine signed by all 5 of Fleetwood Mac. This is from a former VP of Warner Bros. records (from Cincy).8582

bounty37h
02-11-2015, 04:24 PM
Awesome thread, hate I just now found it after being on here all these years! I have collected autos since the early 80s as a young kid and prob have over 1000 sigs in all, but many aren't anyone big. I do mostly sports, and all for my own collection or donate to charity or give to others-I have never sold a single one. My favs include a set of jerseys-one of each starter and Sparky from the BRM-too many to frame and display, but do have the Dave C one framed. I also have a collection of balls, each one signed by a member of the BRM-nearly the entire team besides a few pitchers/bench players. My overall fav is a UD authenticated MJ signed UNC jersey my wife gave me for a wedding gift, and then a MJ UD ball she got me for our 5th anniversary. I also have nearly the entire 2012 UNC UD set signed-just missing the MJ card from there. Wish I has some music ones like the ones posted here!!! Some great ones I would love to have in my bar room. I think Willie Nelson, Led Zep, and Michael Jackson would be my dream music sigs-I know, crazy mix there. I once got lucky and got Bill Clinton and then Jimmy Carter to sign baseballs for me 2 days apart.

Dom Heffner
07-06-2015, 05:26 PM
A super rare Zeppelin guitar sans Bonham, of course, but beautiful examples of the living 3.

dougdirt
07-06-2015, 05:34 PM
Dom, is that floor real wood?

Dom Heffner
07-06-2015, 08:02 PM
Dom, is that floor real wood?

I don't know this pic was taken by my friend who owned the guitar.

Dom Heffner
11-10-2015, 04:06 PM

Eric Clapton signed guitar. The guy who obtained it was also the guy who helped design Kurt Cobain's Fender Mustang. He was the director of artist relations for Fender way back in the 1990s, died very young shortly thereafter.

Dom Heffner
11-10-2015, 04:58 PM

This is also pretty cool. This is a gold record award given to Butch Vig for 25,000 sales of "Nevermind" in Finland. This hung on his office wall at his studio in Wisconsin where much of the demos for "Nevermind" were recorded.

It's one of the earliest awards for the album.

He signed the back of it, too.

Dom Heffner
11-10-2015, 05:26 PM

A 3/4 Metallica ESP signed guitar. Sorry it is dusty in the photo, I cleaned it up. :)

Dom Heffner
12-18-2015, 04:20 PM
I try to post some rare things when I see them- this is a Nirvana setlist, handwritten by Kurt Cobain. The living members of Nirvana confirmed its authenticity and signed it. Dave Grohl's sig is right above "Teen," and Pat Smear is on the right edge. Krist is on the left margin. Aaron Burkhard and Chad Channing also saw this. Pretty cool.

I find setlists fascinating. Back in the day, most artists hand wrote it themselves- in this picture below, you'll see Kurt Cobain taped this setlist to an amp. It is also his personal handwriting.

Dave Grohl eventually wrote them later. Here is one that has a footprint on it that sold for close to $10,000 not long ago. It still has the electrical tape on it where it was placed on the stage.

George Anderson
12-18-2015, 04:28 PM
Dom, what are your thoughts on how younger athletes and celebrities sign their name? The reds are a good example of what I am talking about. Billy Hamiltons signature is basically a B and an H with lines next to it. Votto and Phillips signature are not readable unless you know who it is beforehand. I belong to a FB autograph board and its not just the Reds but younger celebrities in general who just do not take pride in their signature.

Dom Heffner
12-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Dom, what are your thoughts on how younger athletes and celebrities sign their name? The reds are a good example of what I am talking about. Billy Hamiltons signature is basically a B and an H with lines next to it. Votto and Phillips signature are not readable unless you know who it is beforehand. I belong to a FB autograph board and its not just the Reds but younger celebrities in general who just do not take pride in their signature.

I used to work for a guy who was very famous within his field. So people would come up to him when we worked conventions and asked for his autograph. He would get down on one knee and sign on his leg or place it on a table to make sure it looked perfect. He had this big thing he would go through and he even told me one time that he tried to make it special for the person. I always thought that was the way to go. Marty Brenneman signed for me once and it was every single letter. It can be done.

Now- take it to the next level where everyone is asking constantly all day, they want multiples, it gets tiring. There is no way to really take your time and make it nice.

I think what impresses me is the ones who sign for everyone, regardless of how many requests there are. Kevin Hart is awesome about that. It doesn't look like much, he's thinking sign as many as he can to keep everyone happy.

As well- the ones who normally sign scribbly but if you catch them one on one they will sign perfectly. I have a Warren beatty that is so good people don't think it's real. He normally gives you just a "WB." I got something else, not quite "Warren Beatty," but pretty close.

I belong to several autograph boards, almost all have a section where they ask "Who signed this? " and everyone weighs in because sometimes you have no clue.

Dom Heffner
01-02-2016, 08:14 AM
Another setlist- this is from the very first Foo Fighters public appearance, at the Satyricon in Portland, March 3, 1995.

Handwritten by Dave Grohl.

Kingspoint
01-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Another setlist- this is from the very first Foo Fighters public appearance, at the Satyricon in Portland, March 3, 1995.

10196I was there a few times in '95, but found myself generally too old for the crowd. Haven't been there in 15 years, though it's still a great venue. Half the crowd was on ecstacy back in '95. The other half was too drunk.

westofyou
01-02-2016, 12:22 PM
I have a Shins setlist from 2012 somewhere

That version of the Satyricon closed down 13 years ago

Dom Heffner
01-02-2016, 12:56 PM
I have a Shins setlist from 2012 somewhere

That version of the Satyricon closed down 13 years ago

Where Kurt met Courtney, right? 225 person capacity, Nirvana played there New Years Eve 1991.

Can you tell me how to pronounce the name of the venue?

westofyou
01-02-2016, 01:08 PM
Where Kurt met Courtney, right? 225 person capacity, Nirvana played there New Years Eve 1991.

Can you tell me how to pronounce the name of the venue?

Sa Ter a Con

Joseph
01-03-2016, 04:22 PM

Do you own this Dom?

Dom Heffner
01-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Do you own this Dom?

Yes.

Dom Heffner
01-03-2016, 11:17 PM
More Foo Fighters- this was signed at the Metro in Chicago in May of 1995.

The original lineup, pretty rare- Grohl, Smear, Mendel, and Goldsmith.

Dom Heffner
01-13-2016, 01:42 PM
Mike McReady, of Pearl Jam smashed guitar with photo of him smashing it in two different Pearl Jam photo books. I'm hoping to get it signed this weekend, going to try to have him write a lyric from "Black," just depends on his mood.i also to believe this to be the guitar he smashed unsuccessfully at the 1993 MTV VMAs, on stage with Neil Young.

Dom Heffner
02-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Got it!