PDA

View Full Version : Start Chapman, keep 6 starters

UCBrownsfan
11-28-2012, 10:24 AM
The biggest reason I want Chapman as a starter is the playoffs, hated seeing the Reds blow the last 2 games without Chapman throwing a meaningful pitch.

As a starter he'll cap at what 150 next year? What are the odds of us going two years in a row with all starters getting a ton of starts (though I do believe their health was aided by a great bullpen)?

Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Arroyo - All about 200 Innings planned

Chapman/Leake - combine for 260 Innings planned sharing starts and going 8/9 innings every game. That gets Chapman say 140 or a little bit more than 4 IP / game (gives time to develop stamina, as well as time to develop third pitch), keeps him fresh for playoffs. Leake has a planned every 5 days about 120 IP, and can slide on in if another starter goes down. Also helps lineup construction for Chapman / Leake.

I would piggyback most young starters, helps smooth bullpen taxing, and build condfidence, I think it would be perfect for Cingrani to do something similair in 2014

Captain13
11-28-2012, 02:46 PM
I kind of like the idea to start the season, and as you said when a starter goes down the replacement is already here.

MoneyInTheBank
11-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Bottom line, they need a well thought out plan and to stick to it. This is not something they should "see what happens and take it from there".