PDA

View Full Version : Trade Idea

ATL Reds Fan
11-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Last night I had a dream that the reds traded Dusty Baker for Joe Maddon. Unfortunately, I woke up I realized this hadn't really happened, but it got me thinking. Would you trade Dusty Baker and Joey Votto for Joe Maddon and Evan Longoria. This would be a big managerial upgrade and the reds could move Frazier to first to fill Votto's spot. What do you guys think?

Salukifan2
11-28-2012, 08:42 PM
I've always wondered if you could trade a manager

texasdave
11-28-2012, 08:48 PM

Red Sox just hired John Farrell away from Toronto and had to give up some sort of compensation. So that is, essentially, a trade.

HometownHero
11-28-2012, 08:57 PM

Teams already traded a manager this winter with Boston adding the Jays manger John Farrell. Also Lou Piniella went from Seattle to Tampa in the same way.

webbbj
11-28-2012, 09:03 PM
I think the whitesox traded ozzie guillen to the marlins.

Salukifan2
11-28-2012, 09:14 PM
A manager must have to approve it though because his contract isn't subject to the CBA like the players. That's the only reason trades are legal since they got rid of the reserve clause.

WDE
11-28-2012, 10:25 PM
NO

RedsBrick
11-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Manager Chuck Tanner was traded from the As to the Pirates before the '77 season and then managed the 'We Are Family' WS team of '79.

panzecaz03
11-29-2012, 08:04 AM
stupid

TSJ55
11-29-2012, 09:01 AM
stupid

Why? It was a hypothetical question based off of a dream. In the offseason no less, when there is VERY little going on in the baseball world. It seems to me that any "baseball" conversation at all should be a welcome distraction from the void of sports known as "basketball season".

dubc47834
11-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Why? It was a hypothetical question based off of a dream. In the offseason no less, when there is VERY little going on in the baseball world. It seems to me that any "baseball" conversation at all should be a welcome distraction from the void of sports known as "basketball season".

I wouldn't sweat him....he's just being a.....well....you know.

Salukifan2
11-29-2012, 02:34 PM

I hope you are speaking specifically about the NBA

TSJ55
11-29-2012, 09:59 PM
I hope you are speaking specifically about the NBA

Sadly, no. The NBA is a total joke and might as well be the new WWE but I don't like college hoops either. I even live in Louisville and I try to watch basketball if only to just "fit in" here in basketball country, but I just cannot stomach it. It bores me to tears.

Salukifan2
11-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Well i pity you but at least you love baseball. February and March must be brutal for you

TSJ55
11-30-2012, 05:25 AM
Well i pity you but at least you love baseball. February and March must be brutal for you

No need for pity. College baseball starts in February so that's covered. Even better, Louisville will start ACC play in 2014. I'm pretty geeked about the jump in quality of teams that will be coming to town.

I wouldn't sweat him....he's just being a.....well....you know.
No sweat. I understand. I play that role sometimes too.

PurdueFan
11-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Getting back to the original question, there has been a manager for manager swap in MLB. In 1960, Joe Gordon got traded for Jimmy Dykes. Only time that's happened.

Of course, if Tampa were to offer up Maddon for Dusty, I'm more than willing to add one more to the list...