PDA

View Full Version : FA Solution: Eric Chavez?

Bonzo
12-03-2012, 02:36 PM
After reading that Eric Chavez plans to play next year (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/eric-chavez-plans-to-play-in-2013.html), I started thinking that he might be part of the solution to the Reds' problems in 2013.

He still plays an acceptable third base and bats left-handed. In 2012 he hit .298 / .365 / .543 for a .908 OPS against RHP, and for his career he has a .869 OPS against righties. While Rolen has never had huge platoon splits, he still has hit LHP slightly better in his career. Both guys are older and have been injury-prone in the past, but for Chavez at least, it looks like his injury problems are behind him. It would be a roll of the dice, but I feel like these two could form a productive platoon at the hot corner. This assumes that Rolen returns for 2013, of course.

If I were Jocketty, I'd pursue this option assuming the Reds aren't able to re-sign Ludwick or acquire another big bat to play LF and hit cleanup. Frazier would slot in as the full time LF and Jocketty could pursue a cheaper option (payroll wise) to play CF and hit leadoff.

The lineup:

CF - Fowler / Crisp / Victorino (S)
2B - Phillips (R)
1B - Votto (L)
RF - Bruce (L)
LF - Frazier (R)
3B - Rolen / Chavez (R / L)
SS - Cozart (R)
CA - Hanigan (R)

What are your thoughts?

Mitri
12-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Chavez isn't a bad idea at all but I think having two one-dimensional, aging third basemen on the roster might be one too many. I'm not even sure the teams need one. I would mind seeing him spell Frazier vs. righties and as a nice lefty hitter off the bench, but with the news that ARod might be out until mid-summer, and other teams in the AL needing this type of player, I think he'll get a decent deal and will stay in a league where he can occasionally DH.

rgslone
12-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Nice thinking outside the box. I think it's a reasonable idea. Others may bash the idea (some just bash any idea), but you know there just aren't any perfect options - and your thought might work. I think it's certainly worthy of intelligent discussion weighing the the pros and cons.

RedTruck
12-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Chavez isn't a bad idea at all but I think having two one-dimensional, aging third basemen on the roster might be one too many. I'm not even sure the teams need one. I would mind seeing him spell Frazier vs. righties and as a nice lefty hitter off the bench, but with the news that ARod might be out until mid-summer, and other teams in the AL needing this type of player, I think he'll get a decent deal and will stay in a league where he can occasionally DH.

Whats the difference between Eric Chavez whose 34, and Brandon Phillips who turns 32 in June?

Mitri
12-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Whats the difference between Eric Chavez whose 34, and Brandon Phillips who turns 32 in June?

Two years and about 30 trips to the disabled list.

MoneyInTheBank
12-03-2012, 06:20 PM
He wouldn't be a bad signing but, IMO, is one you make much later in free agency