PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs' Toe

texasdave
12-08-2012, 12:21 AM
STUBBS ADJUSTS: Drew Stubbs knows that many of his batting statistics have dropped steadily over the past three years, so the Reds center fielder is making adjustments.Stubbs is experimenting with a shorter stride. Stubbs said he has been working with Reds minor league hitting coordinator Ronnie Ortegon at Stubbs’ offseason home in Texas, where Ortegon also lives.
“They talked a lot in the postseason about Austin Jackson of the Tigers, going from more of a leg kick to a toe tap,” Stubbs said Friday. “We’ve been tinkering with that a little bit. Obviously the longer your foot’s in the air, the more room for error you have.”

Nice to see him working on adjustments. Too little, too late if the Reds trade him. Drew also stated that toe tapping does not define him as a player. :)

RedTruck
12-08-2012, 01:36 AM
Nice to see him working on adjustments. Too little, too late if the Reds trade him. Drew also stated that toe tapping does not define him as a player. :)

I genuinely hope he puts it together. He has to much potential talent not to.

Redsfansince72
12-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Now he makes adjustments when he knows his starting spot is on the line and possible trade. I said it since Edmonds was here. He only had a short stroke was after Edmonds was here and 10 days before the trade deadline last season. He even admitted he did nothing to change his approach last spring training which really didnt fly with me as a fan. He has the talent, but refuses to get past "I was a #1 pick, why do I need to worry" mentality. I would trade him in a heart beat for Fowler(including Leake)

MoneyInTheBank
12-08-2012, 06:46 AM
IMO, the least of his problems with his swing is a leg kick. It's his hands. Before delivering his hands through the zone, he moves his hands straight downward even with the top of his shoulder. This is problematic on anything hard in the upper half of the zone because you are fighting yourself to loop the bathead upward toward the baseball rather than making a straight, level swing from just above the shoulder. Of course, this is the opinion of a guy sitting behind a keyboard. With that all said, I'm glad he's making adjustments.

Stray
12-08-2012, 11:18 AM
At least he's trying something. Can't really hurt at this point.

DocRed
12-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Ain't gonna help, hopefully someone will take him from us.

scott91575
12-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Is that going to help him hit those sliders 2 feet out of the zone and in the dirt that he loves to swing at, or somehow swing the bat for him when he watches fastballs right down the heart of the plate?

His plate discipline and his batting eye are his biggest problems.

MoneyInTheBank
12-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Is that going to help him hit those sliders 2 feet out of the zone and in the dirt that he loves to swing at, or somehow swing the bat for him when he watches fastballs right down the heart of the plate?

His plate discipline and his batting eye are his biggest problems.

If the leg kick is his problem. In theory it could help with his plate discipline and his batting eye. If he's timing mechanism (leg kick) is taking too long, he is probably guessing on pitches to make up for it. If he can shorten that up, in theory, he would have more time to actually read pitches rather than guess

Ironman92
12-10-2012, 09:32 PM
I'd bet his vision and pitch recognition are towards the bottom of the list.

webbbj
12-10-2012, 09:39 PM
If this move can get stubbs back to his peak season perfromance I would take it. But still only him as a bench player and starter vs lefties anything other than that he is a detriment to the team.

coachpipe
12-11-2012, 10:04 AM
I think his BA took a major hit last year because striking out was in his head every pitch...As you saw his strikeouts dropped to 160..He just needs to stop thinking so much and be aggressive...His numbers when he swings at the first pitch are completely different than his overall numbers

DocRed
12-11-2012, 11:55 AM
I think his BA took a major hit last year because striking out was in his head every pitch...As you saw his strikeouts dropped to 160..He just needs to stop thinking so much and be aggressive...His numbers when he swings at the first pitch are completely different than his overall numbers

A lot of it was mental IMO and Duhsty continuing to put him out there despite his poor performance actually made it worse.

coachpipe
12-11-2012, 12:22 PM
A lot of it was mental IMO and Duhsty continuing to put him out there despite his poor performance actually made it worse.

Completely agree..and with the fans all but giving up on stubbs, with him knowing that, I think the best opportunity for him would be a fresh start with another club

coachpipe
12-11-2012, 12:22 PM
although i sure wish he could just get it together and show cincinnati what he can do

goreds2
12-11-2012, 12:37 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HiqNq4An6Wc/SxLLZLu3SMI/AAAAAAAADcI/BQfU0WZk5YI/s1600/TonyWaagDanceShotsm.jpg

malcontent
12-11-2012, 02:46 PM
All you eternal optimists should save it for something/someone else.

Stubbs is the essential lost cause.

Scouts (not just Keith Law) had him pegged before the draft as a guy who wouldn't hit enough.

And his absolute refusal to change his approach has cemented his fate.

bigredmechanism
12-11-2012, 03:11 PM

Who is duhsty?

Old NDN
12-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Stubbs' ship has sailed here. Let him "work on his mechanics" somewhere else. If he's still with the team for spring training, make him earn a spot on the roster. Giving him a spot/position last year created a 'Black Hole" in the lineup all season. It's been well documented and publicized that the Reds' leadoff hitter was the worst in MLB. Let's move on and get somebody.

Old NDN
12-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Stubbs' ship has sailed here. Let him "work on his mechanics" somewhere else. If he's still with the team for spring training, make him earn a spot on the roster. Giving him a spot/position last year created a 'Black Hole" in the lineup all season. It's been well documented and publicized that the Reds' leadoff hitter was the worst in MLB. Let's move on and get somebody.

Thanks Walt!

50YrRedsFan
12-11-2012, 11:27 PM

Done deal. Stubbs now an Indian. He had some talent, but just couldn't adjust after pitchers learned how to pitch to him.

Redsfansince72
12-12-2012, 09:30 AM
NO more Super K !!! Good luck to him learning the American League!