Just in, here's the 2013 Rock HOF inductees

http://rockhall.com/inductees/

Rush
Heart
Randy Newman
Public Enemy
Donna Summer
Albert King

and these two Ahmet Ertegun Lifetime Achievement awardees: Lou Adler and Quincy Jones. Jones' record is well known. Adler has a very interesting pedigree including producing the first Monterrey Pop Festival.

In my youth, I panhandled off of King trying to get into XU's Fieldhouse to see him and Leon Russell in concert. "I'm here to make money, not give it away, boy!" He wanted directions to the back of the building to get in. Somehow we still found a couple of tickets.

Captain13
12-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Rush-It's about time
Heart-Ditto
Randy Newman-Well Deserved
Public Enemy-Seriously?!
Donna Summer-I don't think so
Albert King-AWESOME!!!

The only one I have a real problem with is Public Enemy, and I love Fight the Power and 911 is a Joke. I don't see any real lasting contribution or a catalog that screams HOF.

The DARK
12-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Honestly don't know how Rush didn't get in before this. The HOF hasn't been too kind to prog rock in general (another glaring omission: Yes). Ditto for Heart, which is even more baffling due to their massive success.

I've got no problem with Public Enemy getting in. If you can't expand your definition of rock and roll beyond conventional classic rock, you'll have all of about five or ten artists from the 2000's that make it in. You have the 90's leftovers like Foo Fighters and Radiohead, you have retro bands like The Black Keys and The Strokes, and you have a few oddballs like The White Stripes, Queens of the Stone Age, and Muse. That's about it for deserving bands that are big enough for it.

Realistically, rock and roll itself stopped evolving with grunge, and for some time, hip-hop was truer to the spirit of rock and roll than rock itself (sadly only rarely the case nowadays). Including one of the most relevant bands during that period makes sense to me. As for the back catalogue argument, consider the Sex Pistols.

SunDeck
12-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Honestly don't know how Rush didn't get in before this.

Geddy Lee's voice, maybe? :laugh:

Kidding. Mostly.

The DARK
12-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Geddy Lee's voice, maybe? :laugh:

Kidding. Mostly.

You might be more right than you think... ;) Not that I've ever minded it all that much.

moewan
12-12-2012, 10:27 AM
RUSH getting in is well deserved, now they need to get Cheap Trick in the hall as well.

*BaseClogger*
12-12-2012, 09:48 PM
The only one I have a real problem with is Public Enemy, and I love Fight the Power and 911 is a Joke. I don't see any real lasting contribution or a catalog that screams HOF.

http://www.dejkamusic.com/images/album/large/public_enemy/it_takes_a_nation_of_millions_to_hold_us_back.jpg

Yachtzee
12-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Rush-It's about time
Heart-Ditto
Randy Newman-Well Deserved
Public Enemy-Seriously?!
Donna Summer-I don't think so
Albert King-AWESOME!!!

Personally I don't find Randy Newman to be rock and roll at all. On the other hand, I think Public Enemy was the voice of a generation and very influential on future acts. Compared to today's overproduced, autotuned garbage, Public Enemy is definitely hall-worthy. I the reason they weren't more commercially successful is because they were too intellectual, compared to the club-oriented hip hop that took over. Rapping about politics just isn't as popular as rapping about hitting the clubs, picking up chicks and drinking Crown Royal from a stripper's shoe.

Revering4Blue
12-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I realize that I'm late to this party, but lets be honest...it really isn't the "Rock And Roll" Hall Of Fame. It is the Popular Music -- Pop, Rock, Country, Rap etc -- Hall Of Fame.

Given that, I cannot argue with the induction of Public Enemy and others who, while I do not consider them to be "Rock", impacted the Musical World.

My main beef, as I've stated before, is the absurdity of some snubbed artists, and the fact that some who didn't have a sustained impact on the Musical World are inducted well ahead of artists who did have a sustained impact.

Oh, yeah..it's about freakin' time that Rush and Heart were inducted.

Next up, Deep Purple, among others.

Yachtzee
12-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I realize that I'm late to this party, but lets be honest...it really isn't the "Rock And Roll" Hall Of Fame. It is the Popular Music -- Pop, Rock, Country, Rap etc -- Hall Of Fame.

Given that, I cannot argue with the induction of Public Enemy and others who, while I do not consider them to be "Rock", impacted the Musical World.

My main beef, as I've stated before, is the absurdity of some snubbed artists, and the fact that some who didn't have a sustained impact on the Musical World are inducted well ahead of artists who did have a sustained impact.

Oh, yeah..it's about freakin' time that Rush and Heart were inducted.

Next up, Deep Purple, among others.

I heard a discussion on the radio about how the selection process has been done in the past and a big problem is that, in the early years, the selection committee comprised of mostly older writers and industry types who were more familiar with the music from the '50s and '60s. Much like the Baseball Veterans Committee under Frankie Frisch, these guys tended to favor bands and artists they knew over those from more recent eras. The Rock Hall has since brought in some new blood with a better grasp on later eras, so they've been better about selecting newer acts, which might explain why some '70s and '80s era bands that should have been in years ago are only now getting serious consideration.

Revering4Blue
12-24-2012, 09:08 AM
I heard a discussion on the radio about how the selection process has been done in the past and a big problem is that, in the early years, the selection committee comprised of mostly older writers and industry types who were more familiar with the music from the '50s and '60s. Much like the Baseball Veterans Committee under Frankie Frisch, these guys tended to favor bands and artists they knew over those from more recent eras. The Rock Hall has since brought in some new blood with a better grasp on later eras, so they've been better about selecting newer acts, which might explain why some '70s and '80s era bands that should have been in years ago are only now getting serious consideration.

Good info. Thanks for the post.