PDA

View Full Version : Reds' 25-man roster for 2013

texasdave
12-12-2012, 11:40 AM
I would imagine that just about wraps things up. With the players available this is how I would go. I have no idea where that leaves Ondrusek or Simon. But I would keep them around in case of injuries or Masset not being ready.
If Chapman makes the starting rotation, I would send Leake to AAA for regular work and have Simon as the long man. Unless the team is deluged by injuries, I would predict 95 wins out of that group. And another chance for playoff redemption.

C-Hanigan
1B-Votto
2b-Phillips
SS-Cozart
3B-Frazier
LF-Ludwick
CF-Choo
RF-Bruce

IF-Donald
IF-Hannahan
OF-Heisey
OF-Paul
C-Mesoraco

SP-Cueto
SP-Latos
SP-Bailey
SP-Arroyo
SP-Leake

RP-LeCure
RP-Hoover
RP-Arredondo
RP-Masset
SU-Marshall
SU-Broxton
CL-Chapman

coachpipe
12-12-2012, 11:42 AM
I would imagine that just about wraps things up. With the players available this is how I would go. I have no idea where that leaves Ondrusek or Simon. But I would keep them around in case of injuries or Masset not being ready.
If Chapman makes the starting rotation, I would send Leake to AAA for regular work and have Simon as the long man.

C-Hanigan
1B-Votto
2b-Phillips
SS-Cozart
3B-Frazier
LF-Ludwick
CF-Choo
RF-Bruce

IF-Donald
IF-Hannahan
OF-Heisey
OF-Paul
C-Mesoraco

SP-Cueto
SP-Latos
SP-Bailey
SP-Arroyo
SP-Leake

RP-LeCure
RP-Hoover
RP-Arredondo
RP-Masset
SU-Marshall
SU-Broxton
CL-Chapman

I wouldnt be to quick to say Donald will make this team as a utility man. Burris might beat him out as well as Henry Rodriguez.

texasdave
12-12-2012, 11:47 AM
I wouldnt be to quick to say Donald will make this team as a utility man. Burris might beat him out as well as Henry Rodriguez.

I am guessing they want Rodriguez to get regular at-bats and not sit on the bench. Emmanuel Burriss? I will pass.

coachpipe
12-12-2012, 12:57 PM
I am guessing they want Rodriguez to get regular at-bats and not sit on the bench. Emmanuel Burriss? I will pass.

I dont see Donald being much or any better thats why i brought it up...Now with Hannahan signing that makes for 1 utility spot..and dont hold your horses yet...Rolen might be back too

texasdave
12-12-2012, 01:01 PM
I am not saying the second backup infielder is set in stone. I just opined about whom I would choose.

I can't see them going with Hannahan and Rolen, because who backs up the middle infield? Hannahan and Rolen both strike me as corner infielders.

coachpipe
12-12-2012, 01:05 PM
I am not saying the second backup infielder is set in stone. I just opined about whom I would choose.

I can't see them going with Hannahan and Rolen, because who backs up the middle infield? Hannahan and Rolen both strike me as corner infielders.

Yea..Who knows...Maybe Jockety gave Dusty an extension as a joke and he had his fingers crossed and now plans on signing Rolen as player/manager

texasdave
12-12-2012, 01:06 PM
I would like to add that I am not against Rolen coming back, I am just wondering if there is still a fit since they signed Hannahan.

Red in Atl
12-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Lineup:

CF-Choo
2b-Phillips
1B-Votto
LF-Ludwick
RF-Bruce
3B-Frazier
SS-Cozart
C-Hanigan

Bench:

IF-Donald
IF-Hannahan
OF-Heisey
OF-Paul
C-Mesoraco

SP-Cueto
SP-Latos
SP-Bailey
SP-Arroyo
SP-Chapman

RP-Leake
RP-Simon
RP-Arredondo/New LOOGY
RP-LeCure
SU-Marshall
SU-Hoover
CL-Broxton

Bring Rolen back as Bench Coach/Assistant Manager, or if Donald doesn't work out Rolen could be Pinch Hitter extraordinaire and late inning defense replacement at 3rd keeping his innings low. Leake in the pen for spot starts and pinch hitting ability. Massett won't be ready. I'd trade Arredondo for a LOOGY, as we need another lefty in the BP.

If Chapman isn't ready to start, put him back as Closer, Leake to the rotation and Ondrusek, Massett or new LOOGY.

GOD I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!

RedTruck
12-12-2012, 01:16 PM
GOD I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!

2013 is shaping up to be a special year!:beerme:

Now watch us finish in last place, with 70 wins:laugh:

texasdave
12-12-2012, 01:21 PM
It is a nice problem having too many players that can play.

Old NDN
12-12-2012, 02:03 PM
I think X Paul is a free agent....unless I missed his signing (entirely possible). I do feel he is the X- factor (pun?) with the ability to back up CF and PH.

texasdave
12-12-2012, 02:09 PM
I think X Paul is a free agent....unless I missed his signing (entirely possible). I do feel he is the X- factor (pun?) with the ability to back up CF and PH.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/2012-roster.shtml

The Reds have control of Paul for 4 more years. The earliest he can be a free agent is 2017.

Assembly Hall
12-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Cant argue with what you opined there Dave. One question........cant Hannahan play short?

Maker_84
12-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Most talented roster in baseball

Larkin88
12-12-2012, 02:49 PM
I think you nailed it, Dave.

I think Donald will make this club and be a valuable addition. That was a nice throw-in in the Choo trade. Honeslty diddn't hate the idea of Burriss and his being a switch hitter (or a switch tries-to-hitter), but I like Donald more.

Old NDN
12-12-2012, 02:56 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/2012-roster.shtml

The Reds have control of Paul for 4 more years. The earliest he can be a free agent is 2017.

Thanks. I thought since the Reds got him as a free agent after his release by the Nats, he would be a free agent upon completion of the season.

WDE
12-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Can't wait for 2013. Hopefully a full year of Votto with Choo added to the team? Plus Stubbs is gone. Gonna be a season to remember.

RedsFaninAfrica
12-12-2012, 11:19 PM
It might be a depressing off-season for Henry Rodriquez, Daniel Corcino and Naftali Soto. They are very talented prospects, but how are they going to find a roster spot with so much talent in front of them?

It's a great time to be a Reds fan.

Red Swagger
12-13-2012, 02:09 AM
I see this as our 2013 Opening Day roster:

Cueto
Latos
Arroyo
Bailey
Leake

Chapman
Broxton
Marshall
Hoover
Arredondo
LeCure
Simon

Masset on the DL, not ready to begin season
Ondrusek in AAA, has options

Choo
Phillips
Votto
Ludwick
Bruce
Frazier
Cozart
Hanigan

Mesoraco
Heisey
Rolen
X Paul
Hannahan

J Donald in AAA, along with Negron, Burriss, and Phipps

Cingrani
Redmond
Villarreal
Corcino

in AAA rotation

OGB
12-13-2012, 03:55 AM
You can't necessarily expect everyone to play as well or better than last year. You can't necessarily expect the team to be as relatively healthy (think SP) as it was last year.

That said, Votto missed a ton of time and had no power after his return. We shouldn't have to deal with that again.
Hoover/Marshall/Broxton/Chapman is an absurdly good back end to a bullpen, and two of those guys weren't around for the majority of last season.
Theoretically, you may expect a bit of natural regression to players like Phillips, Ludwick, and Arroyo who are entering the end of their prime or the back end of their career. However, the majority of this team is composed of already talented young players who you would theoretically expect to trend slightly upward.
Choo over Stubbs is a gigantic improvement.
The bench appears far better simply due to the loss of Valdez and Cabrera and addition of Hannahan/Donald.
The minor leagues appear ready to supply young talent again HRod/Corcino in the event of a marquee player going down for extended time.

I'm not sure how (barring serious injury) this isn't a FAR better team than last year's.

scott91575
12-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Looks to me like Donald is out of options (correct me if I am wrong, but he spent a lot of time in both the majors and minors the past 3 years). So you probably won't be able to just send him to AAA as was mentioned. He would need to be DFA'd and then clear waivers, which probably won't happen. I am not sure the Reds are willing to hand Donald to another team in order to play a minor leaguer who still has options left. At least not until a fair amount of time in the majors, and even then I doubt it. Don't forget, this is a team that refused to DFA Cairo or Valdez and replace them with a minor leaguer on the 40 man. It's hard to play any worse than those 2 this past year.

He could be DFA'd if Dusty falls in love with some vet who is invited to Spring Training on a minor league deal, but I don't see the Reds putting a young player on the 25 man if he still has options.

Oh, and Donald right now is the only backup SS. So no, Rolen would not take his spot.

nheath22
12-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Ondrusek in AAA, has options

I find it hard to imagine that Ondrusek would start the year in AAA considering when he is on, he can be one of more dominant relievers. I would guess Leake and Simon Start the year in Louisville (assuming Chapman is starting). Lecure will be the long man. and we could close out games with Hoover, Marshall, Broxton.

Also, I still feel like Arredondo could/should be replaced by another LOOGY. I just don't trust him consistently to come through when we will need him later in the season in a big situation.

Alpha Zero
12-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Also, I still feel like Arredondo could/should be replaced by another LOOGY. I just don't trust him consistently to come through when we will need him later in the season in a big situation.

Despite the fact that he's a RHP, Arredondo kind of is a LOOGY. Lefties have hit .190/.290/.291 against him while righties have tallied a .256/.346/.414 line against him over the course of his career. So maybe we don't really need a LOOGY. Maybe Arredondo is that guy and Baker just needs to use him as such.

Larkin88
12-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Despite the fact that he's a RHP, Arredondo kind of is a LOOGY. Lefties have hit .190/.290/.291 against him while righties have tallied a .256/.346/.414 line against him over the course of his career. So maybe we don't really need a LOOGY. Maybe Arredondo is that guy and Baker just needs to use him as such.

Good add and smart consideration.

I like Arredondo and it isn't so much an issue with his splits or anything... It's probably entirely anecdotal and all on my end, but I just worry about him more in high leverage situations. And I feel like LOOGY's in the truest sense of the word are often brought in for precisely those situations.

I could live with Arredondo. I wouldn't hate if we tried to acquire a better option for this role, though.