PDA

View Full Version : 12/12: Scott Rolen would like to return back to the reds

RedTruck
12-12-2012, 12:19 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/danny-knobler/21376305/rolen-may-return-for-another-year-with-reds

Already thrilled with their trade for Shin-soo Choo, the Reds may be getting more good news.

Scott Rolen could be coming back for another year.

Rolen, who will turn 38 in April, seemed ready to retire when the Reds season ended with their playoff loss to the Giants. He was limited to just 92 games because of injuries, after playing only 65 games the year before.

But Rolen has now suggested to the Reds that he may want to go to spring training and give it another try, according to sources, and the Reds would be more than happy to give him a chance. The Reds believe he can help, on the field and especially in the clubhouse, where they value his leadership.

The Reds have given themselves other options at third base. Todd Frazier played 73 games there last year, and Wednesday the Reds agreed to terms with Jack Hannahan.

Would love to see rolen return...not as much as a player, but more of as a role model for the rest of the players. This team is definitely a special group that seems to gell very well together. Losing rolen, feels like a piece of the puzzle being taken away..at least in my opinion. :)

Maker_84
12-12-2012, 12:24 PM
If he comes back as a bench player and almost like a player manager i will not mind

bounty37h
12-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Hmm, not really sure how I feel on that to be honest. He as been a great addition, love what he brings, esp in the vet presence and work ethic, etc, but wonder if he can produce enough to fill a spot, even on bench.

bmwreds31
12-12-2012, 12:35 PM
yep im up in the air as well. for the same exact reasons as above.

Stray
12-12-2012, 12:44 PM
When he's been healthy he's been really good. He's just rarely healthy lol.

Brings a ton of leadership to the team though, I'd love if he came back to play a smaller role.

texasdave
12-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Is Hannahan able to play short? Because we know Rolen can't. Just looked it up. 24 innings at short in his career. I am taking that as a 'No, he can't". If that is the case the Reds would need three bench infielders and either Heisey or Paul would have to go.

RedTruck
12-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Is Hannahan able to play short? Because we know Rolen can't.

Yes Hannahan can play short. He's a defensive wizard at 3B, but plays great defense everywhere.

He also plays 1st base as well, assuming joey votto ever needs some time off.

texasdave
12-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Yes Hannahan can play short. He's a defensive wizard at 3B, but plays great defense everywhere.

He also plays 1st base as well, assuming joey votto ever needs some time off.

Rolen was pretty adept at playing 3b and I am pretty sure you wouldn't want him at short. Shortstops can often move to third. The other way around not so much. And I am not so certain where you get that he is a defensive wizard everywhere else. Other than third and first he has only played 24 innings at short and 2 innings at second. You would think a defensive wizard would get more playing time at other positions. You could be right. I really don't know.

RedTruck
12-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Rolen was pretty adept at playing 3b and I am pretty sure you wouldn't want him at short. Shortstops can often move to third. The other way around not so much.

24 innings still shows that he at least has SOME experience at short...

Much better than Choo, who only has 10 innings of experience at CF.

texasdave
12-12-2012, 12:58 PM
24 innings still shows that he at least has SOME experience at short...

Much better than Choo, who only has 10 innings of experience at CF.

24 innings in parts of six seasons in the majors sounds to me like he was stuck there because they ran out of players.

Choo has played 10 games in center and not 10 innings. 83 innings altogether. Not a lot, I know, but just setting the record straight here.

And that is one of the concerns with Choo. Can he play center field?

RedTruck
12-12-2012, 01:03 PM
24 innings in parts of six seasons in the majors sounds to me like he was stuck there because they ran out of players.

Choo has played 10 games in center and not 10 innings. 83 innings altogether. Not a lot, I know, but just setting the record straight here.

Probably...Can he play CF at a well enough level, remains to be seen.

Will probably be very similar to heisey..in that he will have to dive for alot of balls, that stubbs could have easily jogged to.

But, he has probably one of the best throwing arms in MLB, so that's a plus i guess.

texasdave
12-12-2012, 01:05 PM
No matter who ends up on the bench, I think we can all agree it is a step up from what Harris, Valdez and Cairo gave the team in 2012.

RedTruck
12-12-2012, 01:09 PM
No matter who ends up on the bench, I think we can all agree it is a step up from what Harris, Valdez and Cairo gave the team in 2012.

It would be EXTREMELY difficult to reproduce what Harris, Valdez, and Ciaro gave us.

You would basically have to find the equivalent of journey men minor leaguers to be your new bench pieces in order to duplicate those 3 results.

It was awful.

Paul, Heisey, Donald, Hannahan, Rolen??

That wouldn't be an awful bench in the least bit. Especially since Rolen can still be productive when he's 100% healthy.

texasdave
12-12-2012, 01:12 PM
It would be EXTREMELY difficult to reproduce what Harris, Valdez, and Ciaro gave us.

You would basically have to find the equivalent of journey men minor leaguers to be your new bench pieces in order to duplicate those 3 results.

It was awful.

Paul, Heisey, Donald, Hannahan, Rolen??

That wouldn't be an awful bench in the least bit. Especially since Rolen can still be productive when he's 100% healthy.

Mesoraco needs a spot.

RedTruck
12-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Mesoraco needs a spot.

Mesoraco needs to be sent back to AAA to learn how to hit. He was used in a very wasteful manner in 2012.

The reds should've been smart and resigned Navarro. He was a gem for us.

KYRedLeg
12-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Rolen could come back and fill a certain role. As long as he is in Dusty's bag of tricks, though, I'm afraid that role would be getting 66% of the starts at 3B. I like Rolen and what he brings to the clubhouse, but I don't trust Dusty to resist the veteran creaminess.

joshua
12-12-2012, 02:26 PM
I fear Dusty giving Rolen starts that should go to Frazier/Hannahan...or Dusty pulling Frazier late in a close game and pinch hitting Scotty instead. I don't like the idea of him coming back.

We don't need Scott Rolen. We need one of the young guys to step up and become a leader. Ludwick, Arroyo, Votto, Phillips...somebody has to be ready to stand up.

Would you want to Rolen on the bench knowing that you have to give up a bullpen spot to do so?

holster10
12-12-2012, 02:40 PM
If Rolen did come back, it would only be a matter of time before Rolen made an appearance at cleanup for old times sake.

Larkin88
12-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Mesoraco needs to be sent back to AAA to learn how to hit. He was used in a very wasteful manner in 2012.

The reds should've been smart and resigned Navarro. He was a gem for us.

Regardless of your opinion on the merits of Mesoraco vs. Navarro, texasdave is still correct. The Reds will not only carry one catcher on the 25-man to start the year.

I can tell you who I think will NOT make the bench now, though, and that's Emmanuel Burris (who I figured would take the Valdez role).

I'm thinking it's Paul, Heisey, Hanahan and Donald. I'm not sure there's a spot for Scotty on the 25-man and don't think he would sign on to be a AAAA guy. Guess they could go with one less guy in the bullpen, but that's a risky proposition. Either way, I like this bench a lot more than I did the one we had last season.

Red in Atl
12-12-2012, 03:22 PM
I don't think we need him as a player. Bench coach would keep him in the locker room.

Moosie52
12-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Rolen is worth twice what Cairo is, even if he only plays twice a week. He can teach the young guys how to win.

Bob Sheed
12-12-2012, 04:01 PM
"Rolen is a vet. The vet needs to start, dude. Young guy will get his chance down the road, dude."

texasdave
12-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Walt said Hannahan/Donald acquisitions will not proclude them from bringing back Rolen.

He also stated:
"One of the deals we had in place required trading a few of our top young pitchers. Just not something we wanted to do."

Good for Walt. Hold on to your pitching. You can never have enough.

Red Raindog
12-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Regardless of your opinion on the merits of Mesoraco vs. Navarro, texasdave is still correct. The Reds will not only carry one catcher on the 25-man to start the year.

I can tell you who I think will NOT make the bench now, though, and that's Emmanuel Burris (who I figured would take the Valdez role).

I'm thinking it's Paul, Heisey, Hanahan and Donald. I'm not sure there's a spot for Scotty on the 25-man and don't think he would sign on to be a AAAA guy. Guess they could go with one less guy in the bullpen, but that's a risky proposition. Either way, I like this bench a lot more than I did the one we had last season.

THIS!

malcontent
12-12-2012, 05:52 PM
I imagine it was too much to hope that both Cairo and Rolen would vacate the premises.

WDE
12-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Hope he comes back.

RedsFaninAfrica
12-12-2012, 11:05 PM
I love what Rolen has contributed in the past, but it should stay in the past. Looking forward, there is no place in the lineup or on the bench for someone with tired legs and 1 or 2 years of playing time left in him. Make him a coach if you want his leadership, but don't waste a roster spot on it.

mikemo14
12-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Agree with Africa. No place for Rolen in 2013 unless it is as a coach. Other than Stubbs, our biggest liability in 2012. Time to move on.

scott91575
12-13-2012, 06:50 AM
While Walt may say Hannahan/Donald will not affect Rolen, there is a dilemma there. First of all, Donald is the only backup SS right now. Rolen will have no bearing on him. Hannahan is the 3B/1B option, and he was signed to a major league deal for $2 million. So the options are...

1) Don't sign Rolen, keep Hannahan, 12 pitchers
2) Sign and keep Rolen, DFA Hannahan possibly eating $2 million in the process (he could get claimed, but not likely), 12 pitchers. If Rolen gets hurt you no longer have Hannahan.
3) Keep both Rolen and Hannahan, 11 pitchers

So it's not really as cut and dry as "hey, give him a shot." First, I would hope that Rolen would accept a minor league deal. If not, that is pretty much throwing money out the window, losing Hannahan if Rolen makes the team, and subjecting another player to waivers (unless they get rid of Hannahan right away) or locking the Reds into 11 pitchers (which I am not sure Dusty likes).

I would like to see Rolen too, but there is a some risk there if he is brought back. You either possibly paid Hannahan for nothing along with losing any chance of getting him back if (most likely when) Rolen gets hurt, or you go through the season with 11 pitchers.

If I am not right on the rules, let me know. Yet adding Rolen does throw a wrench into the works. I suppose the safest would be going with 11 pitchers to start the season, see how things go, and then get rid of one of them while bringing up a minor league relief pitcher on the 40 man. That would still mean losing money though, which for us is no big deal but I am sure it's not something the Reds want to do.

UPRedsFan
12-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Or Donald goes to AAA and Frazier is considered the emergency shortstop or second baseman if there's an injury.

Or keep Donald (I like this better) and Frazier is considered the 5th outfielder with Xavier Paul going to AAA. You'd still have Hanahan off the bench as a lefty pinch hitter.

I kind of like option 2 the best. Would like to have Rolen on the bench if he can still hit. You never know when there might be another devastating injury like Votto had last year.

Stray
12-13-2012, 10:46 AM
It's hard to really figure out what was the real Scott Rolen last year. Apparently he felt good early in the year when he couldn't catch up to anyone's fastball. However late in the year he was far from an offensive liability. I think he can still hit if his shoulder allows him, so I'm good with him coming back if he says he's good. If it's in a bench/spot start role you'd be getting a proven player and you wouldn't have to worry about him wearing down.

citizen
12-13-2012, 12:01 PM
i can't get over him taking those pitches in his last NLDS at bat, maybe he wants to redeem himself

Stray
12-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Walt Jocketty said Scott Rolen remains undecided

“We should know something in the next week to 10 days.”

Would the Reds bring him back?

“I think you have to at least consider it. At the end of the season, I told him if he did come back it would be in a different role. But he’s been so important to our success the last couple of years. He’s been an instrumental part of our club. If he wants to play, we have to see if we can work something out to his satisfaction as well as ours.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/12/13/jocketty-on-the-signing-rolens-future-et-al/

texasdave
12-13-2012, 01:54 PM
“I think you have to at least consider it. At the end of the season, I told him if he did come back it would be in a different role. But he’s been so important to our success the last couple of years. He’s been an instrumental part of our club. If he wants to play, we have to see if we can work something out to his satisfaction as well as ours.”

To me this sounds like Walt is saying, "Love ya, Scott. And whenever you are in town next summer come on up to the GM suite and we'll knock back a cold beverage or two."

Alpha Zero
12-13-2012, 02:10 PM
I love Rolen, but there's really no place for him on the roster at this point. Frazier is entrenched at 3B and the bench is now full with the additions of Hannahan and Donald.

nheath22
12-13-2012, 02:15 PM
I love Rolen, but there's really no place for him on the roster at this point. Frazier is entrenched at 3B and the bench is now full with the additions of Hannahan and Donald.

Agree completely. Maybe he can come back as a coach of some kind. Love Rolen as a team personality and mentor, especially for what he has done for this franchise over the pat 5 years, but I just don't think there is a spot on the 25 man for him unless we make another trade or release somebody, which I do not think is likely.

malcontent
12-13-2012, 02:22 PM
To me this sounds like Walt is saying, "Love ya, Scott. And whenever you are in town next summer come on up to the GM suite and we'll knock back a cold beverage or two."
I'm hoping that's the case.

smixsell
12-13-2012, 04:41 PM

a HUGE step up. :)

SweetLou1990
12-13-2012, 04:50 PM

Agree - don't see how there is any room for Scotty.

scott91575
12-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Or Donald goes to AAA and Frazier is considered the emergency shortstop or second baseman if there's an injury.

Or keep Donald (I like this better) and Frazier is considered the 5th outfielder with Xavier Paul going to AAA. You'd still have Hanahan off the bench as a lefty pinch hitter.

I kind of like option 2 the best. Would like to have Rolen on the bench if he can still hit. You never know when there might be another devastating injury like Votto had last year.

No way Dusty agrees to Frazier as his backup SS, and on top of that I believe Donald is out of options. If the Reds DFA him, he would need to go through waivers, and considering he is cheap I am sure some team would claim him.

As for sending Xavier Paul to AAA, I know for a fact he is out of options. So he would need to be placed on waivers too if you tried to send him down, and once again due to being really cheap I bet someone picks him up (especially after being a good PH last year). He was only able to play in AAA last year because he was signed to a minor league contract. Once the Reds added him to the 40 man they can no longer send him to AAA without going through waivers.

Maybe those guys do pass through waivers, but it's a risk. I have seen teams try to pull that before, and get burned.

Australian Red
12-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Seemed to struggle with his back alot and that's not going to improve any time soon, so no thanks Scotty

redsfanmia
12-13-2012, 05:47 PM
If he came back would Dusty play him over Frazier most of the time?

goreds2
12-13-2012, 10:07 PM
I think it is time to cut ties with Rolen. Baseball is a business. He had a great 2010 season but that was it. He was disappointing in the 2010 and 2012 postseason. Best wishes to him though. The Reds have plenty of leaders on this team now. (Votto, Bruce, Ludwick, Bronson, Phillips, Hannigan.....)

Red Swagger
12-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Rolen on the bench would make the 2013 Reds a better ball club. He can still play defense, has tremendous value as a clubhouse leader and to the overall team chemistry. I understand J Donald has no options and it's between them 2 for the final spot on the roster, so we will see what happens. But if I had to choose whom I want on this team, it's Rolen all day long over Jason Donald. You ask every player on that team and see what they say about Scotty, no doubt Jocketty should bring him back for 1 more year, if he's healthy. Let him come to ST and see what he's got. Rolen understand the role will be reduced and the money will not be what he's used to. He plays for the love of the game, not cash. Plus, you could sign him on a minor league deal with an invite to ST, to see how much he has left in the tank. That way no 40 man spots would be tampered with, plsu injuries happen. A bench of Mesoraco, Heisey, X Paul, Hannahan and Rolen would be more than ideal. But either way, I am happy with the roster of this team

The_Mudshark
12-14-2012, 09:39 AM

+1 on the bold

...And it has been widely reported by analysts immediately after this trade that Choo is one of the worst OF'ers in baseball. We have to put someone else in CF, but at the same time Choo should be leading off the batting order every day possible.

I'd LOVE to see Rolen take a player/manager type role for 2013. He's a baller and brings a lot to the club.

The_Mudshark
12-14-2012, 09:42 AM
If he came back would Dusty play him over Frazier most of the time?

I can't imagine... But, Dusty always suprises me. Maybe he'll have Rolen pinch run this year. :laugh:

redsfanmia
12-15-2012, 10:14 AM
I can't imagine... But, Dusty always suprises me. Maybe he'll have Rolen pinch run this year. :laugh:

I know you said that in jest but Rolen is actually a great base runner.

malcontent
12-15-2012, 03:12 PM
I know you said that in jest but Rolen is actually a great base runner.
Well, that's what we're supposed to believe.

In reality, he's got 5 SB (and 5 CS) in four years with the Reds.

When he challenges an OF arm, he's dead meat as often as he isn't.

redsfanmia
12-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Well, that's what we're supposed to believe.

In reality, he's got 5 SB (and 5 CS) in four years with the Reds.

When he challenges an OF arm, he's dead meat as often as he isn't.

Stolen bases don't equal a good base runner, Rolen goes first to third better than anyone on the roster. I watch most of the games and I honestly don't remember Rolen getting thrown out on multiple occasions.

OGB
12-18-2012, 03:41 AM
...And it has been widely reported by analysts immediately after this trade that Choo is one of the worst OF'ers in baseball.

I'm fairly certain that that isn't even remotely true.

Not the worst OF part, but the part about anyone saying that in the first place.

BLEEDS
12-19-2012, 11:13 AM
If he'll accept a role as a bench player, at greatly reduced salary, to make a run at a WS ring, great, he'd be a huge veteran presence.

Unfortunately, the Duhsty would have to be talked into using him that way, Huge risk that he doesn't. Duhsty loves him some crunchy vets, and gives struggling guys starts even when there are better options available - see Cairo, Miguel.

I'd rather we got a solid SS backup, not sure we have anyone on the current squad capable of spelling Cozart. IMO, he is the wild card to this season - he needs to get fully recovered and back to his pre-injury upside. If he can hit in the lower parts of the order, and stay healthy, we literally have NO weaknesses.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2