PDA

View Full Version : Angels nearing deal with... Josh Hamilton?!

[deleted]
12-13-2012, 02:19 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/angels-josh-hamilton-nearing-deal.html

Looks like Josh Hamilton will be in GABP come Opening Day. I don't even have words.

Alpha Zero
12-13-2012, 02:26 PM
That lineup will have some crazy power with Trumbo, Pujols, Hamilton, Trout, and Morales all capable of hitting more than 30 HRs. A scary lineup for sure, but outside of Weaver, I don't think their rotation is all that formidable.

RedsBrick
12-13-2012, 02:33 PM
They gotta try to keep up with the Dodgers! Maybe they'll both implode.

texasdave
12-13-2012, 02:42 PM
The Houston Astros and their AA lineup will feel quite welcome in the same division as the Rangers, Angels and A's. Sheep to the slaughter. Good Luck winning 50 games.

19braves77
12-13-2012, 02:57 PM
And they might package Peter Bourjos to Mets for Dickey.

HometownHero
12-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Man I am going to get no sleep this baseball season staying up late to watch these LA teams and the Giants after our games.

code
12-13-2012, 03:19 PM
I feel LA is a bad place for Josh Hamilton... I really hope we don't see a second book come out in 5 years.

Maker_84
12-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Man I am going to get no sleep this baseball season staying up late to watch these LA teams and the Giants after our games.

agreed

TeamSelig
12-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Wish we were rich... would definitely prefer Hamilton > Ludwick

Even if it makes our lineup LH-heavy.. could bat BP 5th and move Hanigan/Cozart to 2nd to split them up.

Choo LF
BP 2B
Votto 1B
Hamilton CF
Bruce RF
Frazier 3B
Hanigan C
Cozart SS

SweetLou1990
12-13-2012, 04:26 PM
They gotta try to keep up with the Dodgers! Maybe they'll both implode.

I'm hoping for the same thing. The Yanks have been trying to buy a championship for years and they only have 1 in the past 10 years ? The thing all the money does buy is playoff appearances though (in most years). This year I see the Yanks win total falling farther though.

As far as the Angels lineup, flat scary. THe Reds are going to get some awesome publicity in the first series of the year now!

Trajinous
12-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Hamilton is a cancer and constantly teetering on being injured. I'm glad we got Shin-Soo Choo over him (ignoring the financial aspects).

HometownHero
12-13-2012, 04:56 PM
I think Cardinals fans are taking it worse than the Rangers fans. They are beyond paranoid over Pujols winning without them, they got lucky this year they got into the playoffs with 88 wins while the Angels missed with 89 playing in loaded AL West, now the those teams get to beat up on Houston.

Blood Red Path
12-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Hamilton is a cancer and constantly teetering on being injured. I'm glad we got Shin-Soo Choo over him (ignoring the financial aspects).

I actually completely agree with this. I would still want Choo in a vacuum, where money was no concern.

And even before taking into account Hamilton's risk factors, I still don't think this is nearly as crazy or lopsided as it would sound to some on the surface. Consider...

Hamilton career wRC+ is 135
Choo career wRC+ is 131

Now we add that- Choo is also a year younger, far less risky from an injury and stability sense, and his body hasn't taken nearly the toll that Hamilton has put his through. I give Choo the edge as the guy I would want to be running out there this season.

Krawhitham
12-13-2012, 06:39 PM
I actually completely agree with this. I would still want Choo in a vacuum, where money was no concern.

And even before taking into account Hamilton's risk factors, I still don't think this is nearly as crazy or lopsided as it would sound to some on the surface. Consider...

Hamilton career wRC+ is 135
Choo career wRC+ is 131

Now we add that- Choo is also a year younger, far less risky from an injury and stability sense, and his body hasn't taken nearly the toll that Hamilton has put his through. I give Choo the edge as the guy I would want to be running out there this season.

Choo is a one season temp player, the Angels have Josh for 5 years

And the 1st three seasons should make the back two bearable for the Angels

WDE
12-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Wow. Rangers fans just got a whole lot matter. AL West won't be a cakewalk this year. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

Trajinous
12-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Maybe. He could also run into a wall again and break a few ribs. I think it's a ridiculous amount of money and years for a guy that can't be consistent.

Don't worry, in 2 years we'll have a different Hamilton in CF. :)

joshua
12-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Rangers whiffed on Greinke and now they lose Hamilton too. It will be fun watching them scramble for the rest of the off season.

OGB
12-14-2012, 02:21 AM
The Houston Astros and their AA lineup will feel quite welcome in the same division as the Rangers, Angels and A's. Sheep to the slaughter. Good Luck winning 50 games.

If that team is as bad as they were last year after jettisoning Lee, Rodriguez, Myers, etc., they may be lucky to win 40 games.

I feel LA is a bad place for Josh Hamilton... I really hope we don't see a second book come out in 5 years.

You clearly don't know the difference between LA and Anaheim.

OGB
12-14-2012, 02:24 AM
Rangers whiffed on Greinke and now they lose Hamilton too. It will be fun watching them scramble for the rest of the off season.

Say hello to overpaying for Nick Swisher and Anabel Sanchez. These arms races remind me of the way the Yankees used to overspend themselves into oblivion on guys like Carl Pavano simply because they needed pitching and he was the best option.

Red in Atl
12-14-2012, 11:10 AM
5 years and $125 million. I laughed out loud. Have fun with that.

Blood Red Path
12-14-2012, 12:06 PM

I was merely debating the merits of the two players from the standpoint of what I would be comfortable expecting to get from them on a ball club in the shortterm; however, escaping from my aforementioned vacuum...

I would gladly choose one year of Choo plus 3.5M in exchange for disposing of Stubbs and sacrificing a blocked prospect versus risking 125M on Hamilton no matter how many years I was getting him for. Every day of the week.

Old NDN
12-14-2012, 12:06 PM
And they might package Peter Bourjos to Mets for Dickey.

Could Bourjos help the Reds as a backup CF/leadoff type guy? What would it take ? They're still looking for pitching. Is he worth a mix of Leake, Heisey, or Ondrusek?

Redlegs Homer
12-14-2012, 02:54 PM
For the price that the Angels paid for Hamilton, they could have signed Angel Pagan, Brandon McCarthy, AND Jeremy Affeldt and still had some money left over. Awesome job.

R_Webb18
12-15-2012, 09:29 PM
its not like they really over paid with todays money. only thing you can argue is the years. a team like the angels i guess can take more risks.

HometownHero
12-16-2012, 02:20 AM
For the price that the Angels paid for Hamilton, they could have signed Angel Pagan, Brandon McCarthy, AND Jeremy Affeldt and still had some money left over. Awesome job.

Doubt those players sell as many jerseys or tickets as Hamilton will and in LA its all about star power especially when battling the Dodgers for headlines.