PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass Music

oneupper
12-14-2012, 03:37 PM
My daughter (19) has developed a liking for Bluegrass Music.
Yes, I had her DNA tested and she is mine.

I would like to give her a CD for Christmas. Maybe something that even I could tolerate listening to, if possible.
I know nothing about this except that she already has some "Mumford & Sons", so it would preferably be something different.
I know there are connoisseurs on the board.

Thank you for your help. I need it.

westofyou
12-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Newgrass Revival, Yonder Mountain Stringband are the kind of BG band that stretches out the genre.

Classics of course are Seldom Scene, Bill Monroe, Stanley Brothers.

A great CD for that genre is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_the_Circle_Be_Unbroken

OldRightHander
12-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Anything by Alison Krauss and Union Station.

westofyou
12-14-2012, 04:03 PM

Rickey Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder

OldRightHander
12-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Rickey Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder

I'll second that.

OldRightHander
12-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Of course we shouldn't forget the late Earl Scruggs.

Reds Freak
12-14-2012, 04:13 PM
I'd check out a Punch Brothers album. Chris Thile is a master of the mandolin.

paintmered
12-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Steve Martin is my suggestion.

Also, can the mods move this thread to the A&E sub-forum?

Chip R
12-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Del McCourey

westofyou
12-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Del McCourey

With Steve Earle

Chip R
12-14-2012, 04:22 PM
With Steve Earle

Indeed.

SunDeck
12-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Old and in the Way- Honestly, if I had to pick one bluegrass CD to give a young person it would by "High and Lonesome Sound" by them.
Jerry Garcia on Banjo, David Grisman on Mandolin, Peter Rowan on Guitar and Vassar Clement on fiddle.

Del McCoury Band- Close second. I'd actually buy "the Mountain" on which they backed up Steve Earle.

westofyou
12-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Strength in numbers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_in_Numbers_(band)

wolfboy
12-14-2012, 04:47 PM
It's more alt-country than bluegrass, but if your daughter likes Mumford & Sons, she might like Shovels & Rope. I really enjoy their album, O' Be Joyful.

camisadelgolf
12-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Are you wanting bluegrass, or are you wanting bands that sound like Mumford & Sons? There's a big difference.

muddie
12-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Newgrass Revival, Yonder Mountain Stringband are the kind of BG band that stretches out the genre.

Classics of course are Seldom Scene, Bill Monroe, Stanley Brothers.

A great CD for that genre is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_the_Circle_Be_Unbroken

Yonder Mountain Stringband is a good one, especially for someone just getting into bluegrass, I know, I'm one of them.

Just bought tickets for a show in March...Jay Ungar and Molly Mason including the family. I'm excited! Any of you people ever seen these guys.

12-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Noone's mentioned Hayseed Dixie. I think the genre is called rockgrass or something like that, I think.

IslandRed
12-14-2012, 06:18 PM
A lot of good suggestions in this thread.

Any Union Station mention merits a Jerry Douglas mention.

I'd check out a Punch Brothers album. Chris Thile is a master of the mandolin.

Thile's previous band, Nickel Creek, was pretty popular in a pop-bluegrass sort of way.

OldRightHander
12-14-2012, 08:20 PM

You're absolutely right. I was at their show at the Taft back in March and he did an extended bit by himself while the rest of the band was taking a break. Brilliant stuff. Every member of that band is top notch.

mdccclxix
12-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Trampled by Turtles are enjoying some recent success, and has a songwriter twist on bluegrass. I heartily second Old and In the Way. Yes, yes, yes.

reds1869
12-14-2012, 09:03 PM
They're not strictly bluegrass, but I highly recommend Old Crow Medicine Show. I also second pretty much every recommendation in this thread so far.

dabvu2498
12-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Sam Bush

muddie
12-15-2012, 10:45 AM

Thile's previous band, Nickel Creek, was pretty popular in a pop-bluegrass sort of way.

I like their stuff as well.

PedroBourbon
12-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Steve Martin is my suggestion.

Absolutely, Rare Bird Alert is a great album

oneupper
12-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Are you wanting bluegrass, or are you wanting bands that sound like Mumford & Sons? There's a big difference.

I guess that's a good question, but I don't know. I've never heard Mumford. She likes a lot of banjo, I think.
For my own sanity, groups with singers who sing instead of howling is preferable.

oneupper
12-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Thank you everyone. I now have a list. Will go and sample online and see if I can find something that might appeal to her and not drive me batty if I have to listen along.
I'll follow up with what I end up buying and how it was received.

Roy Tucker
12-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Seems to be a trend.

My daughter bought a banjo for her boyfriend for Xmas. As well as my son's girlfriend bought him a banjo for Christmas.

Foggy Mountain Breakdown is in my future.

westofyou
12-16-2012, 12:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_POAJrWzCU

MartyFan
12-16-2012, 03:51 PM

Right, I just read this thread and Mumford & Sons have some Bluegrass leanings, I would never put them in with any of the classic bluegrass artists...I would think they fall more into the FOLK or NEWGRASS genres.

I find them pretty comparable to bands like The Lumineers, The Wedding Band and Of Monsters and Men...you may even venture out to someone like Sufjan Stevens, Sam Phillips, St Lola in the Fields, Phil Madeira, The Civil Wars, Over The Rhine, Julie Miller and Buddy Miller.

Again, make sure your daughter is into Bluegrass which is more twangy than folk...they use the same instruments but folk can get sort of trippy when it wants too. And if she does like Bluegrass, make sure you know if it is Bluegrass or Newgrass/Americana. Allison Krauss and Union Station, Nickle Creek, Mutual Admiration Society and The Greencards are in the Newgrass vein...Americana type artists would be Wilco, Iron & Wine, Fleet Foxes and the sort.

Hope this is helpful.

marcshoe
12-16-2012, 04:55 PM
I'd add The Avett Brothers to the Mumford list.

The true bluegrass list is a good one, too. There's a lot of variety there, which is something people don't often credit bluegrass for.

oneupper
12-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Went with the "Palomino" album by "Trampled by Turtles".
Sounded a bit more upbeat than their more recent "Stars and Satellites".
And lots of Banjo.

Thanks ALL.