PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day 2013 April 1st.

BaseballFan1975
12-18-2012, 07:04 AM
I have heard Cincinnati is simply amazing for opening day. I live a few hours north and have visited Cincinnati with the kids, (zoo etc...) Being a dislocated Angels fan, (sorry all) I figure this year would be a perfect year to attend opening day. I see the opening night tickets are on sale. But when do opening day tickets go on sale for April 1st? I saw last year you had to enter just to get a chance to buy these seats. Any info would be great...we are Angels fans, but our family will respect your great ballpark and your great city. Thank You

:beerme:

Hometown Crew
12-18-2012, 08:25 AM
I live 3 hours from Cincy. Obtaining tickets to Opening Day is next to impossible without paying a premium price. The Reds' could probably sell 2oo,ooo or more tickets for that game. The parade & fan interaction is a great experience. Tickets for the wednesday & thursday games shouldn't be hard to get if you are wanting to see your team play.

BaseballFan1975
12-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Well...I'm going to try to get tickets anyway. Do they go on sale on the Reds MLB.com site? I'll pay a premium, up to double, but not what the current stubhub "season ticket holders" are asking. Thanks for your reply and wish me luck. My 6 and 8 year old simply love baseball, and Reds opening day verse our Angels is something I want them to experince.

:party:

texasdave
12-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Every year it seems they hold some tickets back. Here is the announcement from last year. I would imagine when they post these for sale they are gonna go quick. If I see an announcement for this year, I will post it.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120308&content_id=27124110&c_id=cin

BaseballFan1975
12-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Thank You very much

BaseballFan1975
12-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Do they sell regular single game tickets for opening day, and is it through the Reds MLB.com site? Do they not go on sale till February?

nheath22
12-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Opening day ticket always go on sale in advance on a Saturday in February I think and usually open up around 9 or 10am (i don't remember the exact date but they will announce it a few weeks in advance). Usually once the ticket lines go open (both phone lines and online), they sell out in half an hour or less, and oftentimes the server is hard to get through. That is probably you're best options if you don't want to buy at a premium but otherwise you will probably have to rely on Stub-hub or Ebay and will likely end up spending close to $50 a ticket or more just for view level seats from my experience.

Good luck. The experience is definitely worth it because Cincinnati opening day is something to remember.

Edit: It looks like things might have changed as of last year and it may now be a ticket lottery based on this article. http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/sports/baseball/reds/Get-Reds-Opening-Day-tickets-through-online-lottery
Sorry if I provided wrong information but that is how it was a few years ago ( I have been a season ticket holder for the past 3 years and haven't had to worry about purchasing them separately)

BaseballFan1975
12-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the info. So I imagine the ticket lottery is still in place for 2013. Does anyone know for sure?

BEETTLEBUG
12-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Yes it is and it is Wild.

tedies
12-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Fun fact: Opening Day falls on my birthday this year :beerme:

jhiller21
12-26-2012, 12:37 AM
While Opening Day is a great baseball experience in Cincy, games 2 & 3 are much easier to get tickets to. I've been to one OD in my life (The Randa walkoff homer game), and it was great. I had a connection at the time that allowed me to get tickets in the cheap seats, and they weren't cheap.

bigredmechanism
12-26-2012, 01:52 AM
I bet you could find a few tickets on stubhub as it gets closer, but I also could see the sellers gouging the prices. Good luck to the Angels starting 3 games into the season :)

goreds2
12-26-2012, 06:16 AM
Per MLB.com, the start time of this opening day game is yet to be determined. I am sure it will be nationally televised especially with Josh Hamilton visiting Cincinnati. I am guessing it will be at 4pm.

I usually have friends come over and watch on my patio.

Hometown Crew
12-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Opening Day schedule start time is 4:10 per schedule from the Reds' ticket office.

BaseballFan1975
12-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks you guys for the kinds words and accepting an Angels fan into the forum. I will be going to opening day regardless, and I look forward to bringing my kids to your great city for a few days before we head out for the rest of our break. Our spring fall this week, so Cincinnati is our first stop. Other than the zoo, and Reds/Angels, any other attractions recommended for a 7 and 9 year old?

Thank You.

Eric the Red
12-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks you guys for the kinds words and accepting an Angels fan into the forum. I will be going to opening day regardless, and I look forward to bringing my kids to your great city for a few days before we head out for the rest of our break. Our spring fall this week, so Cincinnati is our first stop. Other than the zoo, and Reds/Angels, any other attractions recommended for a 7 and 9 year old?

Thank You.

They may enjoy the Newport Aquarium in Newport, KY, just across the river from Great American Ballpark. Kings Island Amusement park would be great but doesn't open until April 27th. It sounds they are big baseball fans so the Reds Hall of Fame and Musuem would be a fantastic attraction but I wouldn't recommend going on game day as it's pretty crowded. Reds fan or not, the Reds Hall of Fame is just fantastic.

nheath22
12-28-2012, 11:26 AM

Thank You.

If you don't mind driving a little bit further, the Louisville slugger museum in Louisville (1 1/2 hr drive from cincy) is a lot of fun for baseball fans and especially for kids as well.

BaseballFan1975
12-29-2012, 09:57 AM
I go to Kings Island, (and/or Cedar Point) every year, but that's a guys trip. :beerme: The aquarium sounds good, as does the Reds hall a fame. I will try to do both time permiting.

My Brother in law lives in New Albany, (the Indiana side of Louisville) so we are in Louisville 4-5 times a year, and I'm ashamed to say I have never taken my kids to Louisville slugger museum..:confused: We are heading to Louisville for a quick family visit after Cincinnati, on our way to Mammouth Cave, so this might be the time to do it.

Thanks for all the info...I enjoy this forum a lot, Reds fan or not...;).

Go Halos

BaseballFan1975
01-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Heard the opening day ticket lottery starts mid jan and runs till mid feb. Does this sound right? Anyone know for sure?

The_Mudshark
01-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Heard the opening day ticket lottery starts mid jan and runs till mid feb. Does this sound right? Anyone know for sure?

Haven't heard, but I am in the same position as you. I'll be trying to get tickets the hard way. I have lived in Cincy for 28 years and have not been to an opening day game yet (partially because of my line of work being very busy and hectic that time of year.)

Reds' fans will welcome Halo fans with open arms. The only time I have ever seen less than classy behavior is when the Cardinals are in town. This game will basically be an All-Star Game with all of the money the Angels just spent.

Hometown Crew
01-02-2013, 05:06 PM
FYI - The Reds were offering Opening Day tickets for Group Sales. I received the information just after Thanksgiving. A group could purchase Opening Day tickets as long as you purchase 15 -30 tickets to Opening Day & spend the equal amount on other game(s) during the 2013 season. This offer is good through March 16, 2013. I doubt there will be many tickets for the lottery. Processing of these orders began on December 11, 2012. They were available on a first come first serve basis at Redsfest.

XU Lou
01-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Last year the Reds had a package of 13 games or so that included Opening Day. Any word if that will be available. That worked out well.

nheath22
01-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Last year the Reds had a package of 13 games or so that included Opening Day. Any word if that will be available. That worked out well.

I believe you need to get one of the 4 different 20 game season ticket packages to ensure getting opening day tickets. It is what I have done for years and it guarantees you playoff games along with opening day.

Moonlite Graham
01-07-2013, 11:18 AM
In the past opening day tickets have been offered as part of the "Power Pack" promotion which is a package of about 10 premium games during the season....most on weekends, some midweek bobblehead games as well.

This was my package of choice until they started packaging entire weekend series as part of the 10 games and just couldnt swing the finances of staying in Cincinnati over an entire weekend.

FYI...this is usually offered sometime next month.

My beef with the Reds ticket policies has always been that I now buy a larger package than this (Bakers Dozen Saturdays 13 games) and have no access to Opening Day.

Ah well, I'll still be there one way or another

BaseballFan1975
01-08-2013, 01:23 PM
I'll be at opening day no matter what, we are staying at the Garfield Suites with the family. I am hoping we get the same warm welcome we've received in other city's. The only bad experience I have ever had was in Detroit, (go figure) I was lucky enough to have my tickets fall on Weaver - Verlander at Commerica. We also had front row seat, just off the third base side. A few Detroit fans were rude and yelled at us, even though I was with my then, 5 year old boy, and 7 year old girl. In fact, only at one point did any fan welcome us to Detroit. We have been to most of the midwests parks to see our Halos and everyone has been friendly and welcoming....Even at Wrigley and The Cell.

- What are good, and not outrageous places to eat Downtown? I've heard Madonna bar and grill is decent and cheap. - What is the best place for pizza downtown? - What will the Moerlein Lager House, be like for opening day? They take reservations 30 days in advance, and I was thinking of going there for lunch before the game. Will they honor reservations for this day?

Thanks for all the info guys. Everyone I have mentioned this too, (I live in Indiana) tells me Reds opening day is the best in the bigs....I am very excited.

SweetLou1990
01-08-2013, 06:41 PM
I'll be at opening day no matter what, we are staying at the Garfield Suites with the family. I am hoping we get the same warm welcome we've received in other city's. The only bad experience I have ever had was in Detroit, (go figure) I was lucky enough to have my tickets fall on Weaver - Verlander at Commerica. We also had front row seat, just off the third base side. A few Detroit fans were rude and yelled at us, even though I was with my then, 5 year old boy, and 7 year old girl. In fact, only at one point did any fan welcome us to Detroit. We have been to most of the midwests parks to see our Halos and everyone has been friendly and welcoming....Even at Wrigley and The Cell.

- What are good, and not outrageous places to eat Downtown? I've heard Madonna bar and grill is decent and cheap. - What is the best place for pizza downtown? - What will the Moerlein Lager House, be like for opening day? They take reservations 30 days in advance, and I was thinking of going there for lunch before the game. Will they honor reservations for this day?

Thanks for all the info guys. Everyone I have mentioned this too, (I live in Indiana) tells me Reds opening day is the best in the bigs....I am very excited.

In my 4 trips to Wrigley to see the Redlegs, I have never experienced anything but open arms, I tell people it is the happiest place on earth..... Because the Cubs fans have no hopes of ever winning, they're just there to have a good time.

You should be treated well at GABP

SweetLou1990
01-08-2013, 06:44 PM

Also, if you want to go to a beer specialty place, for my money I would head straight to the Haughbrau Haus:beerme:

nheath22
01-09-2013, 03:22 PM

In terms of food, Moerlein House would not be a bad option although I am sure it will be very crowded and I wouldn't call it a "cheap" option (probably at least $15/person. IT has a great view of the river and is a nice restaurant across the street from the stadium. It has only been there for a year and half or so, and I am not sure about their policy for opening day but I am sure you could ask if you called them. If you are looking for pizza around downtown, your best bet might be Dewey's pizza across the river in Newport on the Levee (a 2 minute drive or 10 minute walk). Very good pizza place around Cincinnati with a wide variety of specialty pizzas.

I am sure you will be welcomed to Cincinnati, just don't get too sad when the Reds win! :)

BaseballFan1975
01-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Still waiting on word for the tickey lottery for opening day. Come on Reds.com. Anyone hear any news?

bigfunguy
01-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Still waiting on word for the tickey lottery for opening day. Come on Reds.com. Anyone hear any news?

Was about to ask myself!!

leeech86
01-17-2013, 09:05 PM
I feel that should come any day now. Although, I don't know why I care, I'm 0 for 4 the past 4 years.

BEETTLEBUG
01-17-2013, 09:05 PM
When does the full season daily tickets go on sale, not full .?

leeech86
01-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Sometime late Feb/early March.

leeech86
01-22-2013, 09:02 AM
You can register for the opening day ticket lottery now!

leeech86
01-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Link
https://secure.mlb.com/cin/ticketing/opening_day.jsp

BaseballFan1975
02-19-2013, 11:23 PM
So, just like everyone else I went 0-17 in the lottery. My question is; as out of town Angels fan should I pay top dollar from a broker, or Ebay, or wait go the parade, and find a scalper? Keep in mind I have a family of four with 7 and 9 year olds. Cheapest I have found is $320 for 4 in section 510?!?

Any advise would be appreciated.

holster10
02-20-2013, 10:44 AM
I am guessing Cueto is a slam dunk to start OD, or not?

BlackPete Ibold
02-20-2013, 11:00 AM
So, just like everyone else I went 0-17 in the lottery. My question is; as out of town Angels fan should I pay top dollar from a broker, or Ebay, or wait go the parade, and find a scalper? Keep in mind I have a family of four with 7 and 9 year olds. Cheapest I have found is $320 for 4 in section 510?!?

Any advise would be appreciated.

That is what it is and what it will be. Especially given the opponent (well, Josh Hamilton return) and the high expectations for the Reds this year, Opening Day will be bigger than ever and tougher than ever to get a ticket for.

I'd scour stubhub, ebay, and craigslist (you can actually get decent tix on craigslist). But you will still be looking at a crazy overpay for not great seats.

Fwiw, you should consider doing the Opening Day parade and festivities together and then send family to do other activity (or take son with you and pay for ladies to do more lady type things). Unless the wife and daughter REALLY love baseball, might be better to save the money for Opening Night where you guys can all sit in great seats for normal prices. I have gotten single field box seats for under $80 each of the last 2 yrs off stubhub, and then took the family to another game later in the series.

BlackPete Ibold
02-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Fun fact: Opening Day falls on my birthday this year :beerme:

My grandma's 101st Bday as well.

Best excuse anyone could ever have to get to Cincy for Opening Day, I just pray I still have her (and that excuse) for years to come...