PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Frank Pastore - my first agent

Cant Touch This
12-18-2012, 10:09 AM
As a kid, my favorite number was 35. As such, Frank Pastore became my favorite player on the Cincinnati Reds. I even got a #35 Reds jersey customized with my last name on the back. (In fact, I still have that jersey from the early '80s and my younger son wore it for Halloween last year.)

Frank provided one of my best childhood memories. During Spring Training in Tampa back in 1982 or '83, I attended the annual "Meet the Reds" banquet hosted by the Red Rooters Club. I was only 11 or 12 at the time and back then, all the players and coaches attended this event, so this was the highlight of the week for me each year.

Not only did Frank sit at my table for dinner, but later that night, he called my dad back in Cincinnati (he couldn't make the trip) from a hotel pay phone and demanded a raise in my allowance. To this day, my dad still talks about getting that phone call from Frank Pastore.

Thanks for the memory, Frank. I wish I'd had the chance to sit with you again when I was a little older so we could have enjoyed a cold one together.

:beerme:

texasdave
12-18-2012, 10:49 AM
http://route66news.com/2012/12/17/frank-pastore-former-big-texan-speed-eating-champion-dies/

DocRed
12-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Very sad....

Red Raindog
12-18-2012, 02:48 PM
As a kid, my favorite number was 35. As such, Frank Pastore became my favorite player on the Cincinnati Reds. I even got a #35 Reds jersey customized with my last name on the back. (In fact, I still have that jersey from the early '80s and my younger son wore it for Halloween last year.)

Frank provided one of my best childhood memories. During Spring Training in Tampa back in 1982 or '83, I attended the annual "Meet the Reds" banquet hosted by the Red Rooters Club. I was only 11 or 12 at the time and back then, all the players and coaches attended this event, so this was the highlight of the week for me each year.

Not only did Frank sit at my table for dinner, but later that night, he called my dad back in Cincinnati (he couldn't make the trip) from a hotel pay phone and demanded a raise in my allowance. To this day, my dad still talks about getting that phone call from Frank Pastore.

Thanks for the memory, Frank. I wish I'd had the chance to sit with you again when I was a little older so we could have enjoyed a cold one together.

:beerme:

Pretty cool story -- did you get the raise?

New York Red
12-18-2012, 07:34 PM
It sounds like he basically predicted his own death three hours earlier on his radio show. Strange stuff.

Cant Touch This
12-19-2012, 07:43 AM
Pretty cool story -- did you get the raise?

I actually didn't receive an allowance, so I guess Frank should have started his negotiations with lower expectations!

Jim
12-19-2012, 09:38 AM
That's a really cool story! Thanks for sharing! Rest in peace, Frank