PDA

View Full Version : Reds increase payroll to 107 Million for 2013

RedTruck
01-19-2013, 06:04 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/opening-day-mlb-payrolls-to-exceed--3b-for-first-time--dodgers--jays--nats-see-biggest-spending-increases-224840102.html

wastedtime
01-19-2013, 09:43 AM
I always knew we could build a contender cheaply, but then have to invest some dollars to keep it together.

SweetLou1990
01-20-2013, 07:07 AM
I like the fact that there are only a handful of teams that are spending a significant amount more than the Reds

Pony Boy
01-20-2013, 08:37 AM
It's amazing that the Reds might have a higher payroll than the Cubs this year. It's also a little concerning as the Reds are tapped out and the Cubs could probably double their payroll at any moment with a few big signings.

MoneyInTheBank
01-20-2013, 10:00 AM
$107 million seems high to me... They have $78M committed (disregarding the $$$ from the Indians) before arbitration. I don't think they'll be giving out $29M in arbtitration. Although, it will be in the $100M range, $107M seems a little high

BLEEDS
01-20-2013, 10:55 AM
$107 million seems high to me... They have $78M committed (disregarding the $$$ from the Indians) before arbitration. I don't think they'll be giving out $29M in arbtitration. Although, it will be in the $100M range, $107M seems a little high

There's a lot that goes into "payroll" other than just player salaries for the year.
A lot.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

MoneyInTheBank
01-20-2013, 11:32 AM
There's a lot that goes into "payroll" other than just player salaries for the year.
A lot.

Did you read the article? It's talking about player salaries

UrbanMeyer
01-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Wherever the payroll does end up will still reflect BobC's willingness to open up the pocketbook. It's going to take some getting use to for Reds fans. Especially those of us who spent our formative years dealing with the Joey Hamilton's and Jimmy Haynes's of the 2000s.

Just wait until we sign a new tv contract. This may be a foreshadowing of things to come.

Beatlessp
01-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Wherever the payroll does end up will still reflect BobC's willingness to open up the pocketbook. It's going to take some getting use to for Reds fans. Especially those of us who spent our formative years dealing with the Joey Hamilton's and Jimmy Haynes's of the 2000s.

Just wait until we sign a new tv contract. This may be a foreshadowing of things to come.

The new deal both excites and worries me.....I know its a MUCH smaller TV market than LA, and Cleveland just got $40 million/yr but I think the Reds being one of the top ratings teams should get somewhere in the middle....I've seen many people mention what Cleveland got..maybe as high as $50 million/yr, but why so 'low' compared to teams that don't have the physical eyes watching on TV..isnt that what the advertisers pay for? would be sweet for this team to pull an $80-$100 million/yr deal for radio and TV combined, but I think they get screwed at $50 million (even if it is $40 million more than they get now).....just my 2 cents

BLEEDS
01-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Did you read the article? It's talking about player salaries

No it doesn't talk about JUST player salaries.
Did you read it?!?

MoneyInTheBank
01-22-2013, 02:56 PM
No it doesn't talk about JUST player salaries.
Did you read it?!?

"Using Baseball Prospectus' contract database, arbitration projections from MLB Trade Rumors and expected salaries for the remaining free agents likely to garner major-league contracts, Y! Sports estimates opening-day payrolls of teams' 25-man rosters will total about $3.15 billion, a 7.1-percent increase from last year's opening-day figure of $2.94 billion."

"Teams will spend between $900,000 and $1.3 million on salaries for rostered minor leaguers."

Where's the controversy here?

bigfunguy
01-24-2013, 09:45 AM
gotta pay to play....when we finalize deals with Latos and Bailey, we're gonna jump even more.

alwaysawarrior
01-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Its amazing to me to watch it continually increases under Castellini. Paul Daugherty had a nice piece on Bob on his blog this morning.

Beatlessp
01-25-2013, 09:59 PM
gotta pay to play....when we finalize deals with Latos and Bailey, we're gonna jump even more.

If I read it right, the 107 includes the estimated salaries of the outstanding arbitration cases also

HometownHero
01-26-2013, 12:19 AM
I'm not buying that 107M, only way I can come up with that total is they have us losing every arbitration case while not factoring in the 3.5M we got for Choo along with the money of players on the 40 man roster. Once its all said and done we should come in just under 100M in the standard payroll like they show on cots unless we sign Mat or Homer to a long term deal and pay more now to save later.