Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hello from Ontario, Canada

Hello from Ontario, Canada

Long time Reds fan going to see my first Reds game on Apr 6. Staying at the Comfort Inn Suites in Newport. Favorite player is Pete (have the most hits, not in hall of fame) Rose Of course I will get my Votto shirt as I am from Canada. Can you guys recommend places to eat for dinner?

Thanks

Canuck

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hello from Ontario, Canada

Welcome!

What kind of food do you want while you're in Cincy?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Thanks. We like steak, seafood and chicken. Some German food as well

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck-TSX View Post
    Thanks. We like steak, seafood and chicken. Some German food as well
    There are many good options, and it seems that a new worthy place pops up at least weekly. Similarly, the craft brewery scene is exploding with four new breweries opening within the last year: Fifty West, Blank Slate, MadTree and Triple Digit.

For Steak: Jeff Ruby's on 7th and Walnut or the Precinct in Columbia Tusculum (another Jeff Ruby restaurant). While I've never been to it, Celestial in Mt. Adams will offer impressive views of the city. Chain steakhouses include: Morton's off Fountain Square, and opening soon, Ruth's Chris located a block away from Great American Ballpark in The Banks.

Not located on the coast, seafood is a bit more challenging in Cincinnati. Anchor in OTR (Over-the-Rhine) near Music Hall and Washington Park is probably your best bet among non-chain options. There's also McCormick & Schmick's (Fountain Square) and Mitchell's Fish Market at Newport on the Levee if you want to stick to the national chains.

Chicken: Everyone offers chicken of some kind, and there isn't a style of chicken unique to Cincinnati. Many places do it well, but it's difficult to recommend a specific place.

German: despite its Germany heritage, German restaurants are dying in Cincinnati and there are fewer remaining than there should be. Newport has an authentic Hofbrauhaus. Mecklenburg Gardens (Uptown, east of the University) is the oldest restaurant in Cincinnati and has really nice outdoor seating underneath grape vines if the weather is cooperating.

Beyond the above, I'd recommend Arnolds for pub fare, the Moerlein Lager House for a pre- or post-game round, and any of the options on Vine Street in OTR (assuming the wait for a table is less than two hours).

Edit: Oh, and the Machine Room in GABP sells poutine!
    Last edited by paintmered; 03-24-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I'll second most of what paintmered said. I've been to the Celestial on several occasions and have enjoyed it; the views overlooking the city are second to none. I believe Ruth's Chris has been open for a few months now, so that should be an option if you prefer a chain to a local restaurant (FWIW, I'd recommend the latter).

Thanks Guys. Sounds like I have lots of options.

We loved the park and the game although the Reds lost. I can't say enough about the 'Great American Ballpark'. It was so nice to see a park with a great view. We enjoyed the atmosphere of the game. I met a nice lady beside me who actually bought me a program and frdige magnet. That was the best! We met quite a few nice people here and will surely come back again.

Any tips for playoff tickets

Turn Off Ads?