Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones epicness

Re: Game of Thrones epicness

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I knew what was going to happen but it was still a punch in the face
    Same here.

I whined a lot about replacing Jeyne Westerling with Talisa, but she definitely added something to the Red wedding. Stabbing her in the babymaker with Eddard Junior in her belly definitely brought it to another level.

2. Likes:

NoCalRed (06-04-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Yuppers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Same here.

I whined a lot about replacing Jeyne Westerling with Talisa, but she definitely added something to the Red wedding. Stabbing her in the babymaker with Eddard Junior in her belly definitely brought it to another level.
    Do you think it adds new story lines they could pursue in the future? I know Talisa was of royalty. Martin has a heavy hand in the TV series so I don't see any problems with the show differing from the book a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Do you think it adds new story lines they could pursue in the future? I know Talisa was of royalty. Martin has a heavy hand in the TV series so I don't see any problems with the show differing from the book a bit.
    Good God, let's hope not.

I don't think so.

If anything, it kills off a popular theory from the book readers (that Jeyne Westerling is pregnant with Robb's child). Stabbing Robb's pregnant TV wife in the uterus might have been GRRM's way of putting an end to that particular theory.

Well, you have to admit, he's going to HAVE to go away from the books at least some for the series. There are just SO many subplots, twists, turns and tangents that's there's no way he can fit it all into the series. He's going to have to change some story directions just to make it work. Not that it lessens the storylines, but just provides some different aspects.

I told one of the guys yesterday that I needed Cliffs Notes to keep up with some of the twists, turns and characters.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Well, you have to admit, he's going to HAVE to go away from the books at least some for the series. There are just SO many subplots, twists, turns and tangents that's there's no way he can fit it all into the series. He's going to have to change some story directions just to make it work. Not that it lessens the storylines, but just provides some different aspects.

I told one of the guys yesterday that I needed Cliffs Notes to keep up with some of the twists, turns and characters.
    My guess is that they'll cut out wide swaths of the Dorne and Meeren subplots. There is a ton of fat to cut there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I don't think so.

If anything, it kills off a popular theory from the book readers (that Jeyne Westerling is pregnant with Robb's child). Stabbing Robb's pregnant TV wife in the uterus might have been GRRM's way of putting an end to that particular theory.
    Westerling was given potions to kill any fetus, IIRC.

Condensing is way different than complete deviation. There was no good reason to sub "talisa" for Westerling, IMO. They could have even kept the more sensational way of dealing with her but kept more loyalty to the source material.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post

Condensing is way different than complete deviation. There was no good reason to sub "talisa" for Westerling, IMO. They could have even kept the more sensational way of dealing with her but kept more loyalty to the source material.
    As someone who hasn't read (all of) the books (yet), it doesn't matter one iota to me that they deviated on that point. I'm more disappointed that they didn't stress the concept of guest right throughout the show to demonstrate how bad and looked down upon the events of the Red Wedding were. In other words, it seems that they used the shock factor (especially with Talisa) instead of actually building on the themes that were central to this event in the book.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    As someone who hasn't read (all of) the books (yet), it doesn't matter one iota to me that they deviated on that point. I'm more disappointed that they didn't stress the concept of guest right throughout the show to demonstrate how bad and looked down upon the events of the Red Wedding were. In other words, it seems that they used the shock factor (especially with Talisa) instead of actually building on the themes that were central to this event in the book.
    Agreed. The scene in the book where before they left for the Twins Catlyn is emphasizing to Robb to make sure there was bread and salt offered, and to make sure to eat it should have been in there. They *showed* the bread and salt, but never explained it too well in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Agreed. The scene in the book where before they left for the Twins Catlyn is emphasizing to Robb to make sure there was bread and salt offered, and to make sure to eat it should have been in there. They *showed* the bread and salt, but never explained it too well in the series.
    They could have discussed the concept in more detail in prior episodes as well. The guest right issue was prevalent as early as when Tyrion returned to Winterfell from the wall and as late as when Jaime Lannister was at Harenhall with Roose Bolton. Oh well.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

She was, but medieval potions are hardly foolproof and the Stark family have a lot of magical juju around them as well. It wouldn't take much suspension of disbelief to accept that Robb knocked her up in spite of her mother's precautions.

I think they replaced her in an effort to 'condense' the convoluted Westerling subplot out of existence. I always felt it was a little too convenient that Robb fell in love with the daughter of a Lannister bannerman. By bringing in an impartial love interest from Essos, they eliminated one of the reasons to be skeptical of their relationship.

I'm more disappointed that they didn't stress the concept of guest right throughout the show

They could have discussed the concept in more detail in prior episodes as well. The guest right issue was prevalent as early as when Tyrion returned to Winterfell from the wall and as late as when Jaime Lannister was at Harenhall with Roose Bolton. Oh well.
    True. But given that the guest right hadn't been made clear in the series, the Catelyn speech to Robb would have been an excellent way to introduce it more thoroughly to viewers. Writers kinda dropped it there.

Turn Off Ads?