Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: On the declining quality of the ORG

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Dead on, on Redszone the respect for real experience in the game is woefully underrated with a consistent air of disdain that is deafening.
    Welcome to the Internet.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Welcome to the Internet.
    Yep, I'll even give you a real life example outside of the game. daily at work we receive complaints about our giant health care websites that interact with 20 other systems and numerous databases with hundreds of thousands of users visiting every year.

Most call us idiots, fools and incapable of building a website that a high school class could build (a real quote)

Most of the time they come from people who don't know how to clear their cookies or update a piece of software by themselves.

It's hard to suffer fools, and the insistence that Baker is some sort of buffoon who has wandered into numerous situation on the baseball field without picking up some sort of knowledge of the game that isn't written in code on fangraphs is at best weak and is an insult to anyone who actually pays attention to the game outside of the box they put it in themselves everyday.

4. Likes:

919191 (06-16-2013),Always Red (06-21-2013),dubc47834 (06-02-2013),jimbo (06-03-2013),Joseph (06-02-2013),mth123 (06-02-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (06-04-2013),Roy Tucker (06-14-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (06-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    It's a tired act. People beat the thing to death everytime Dusty remotely contextualizes anything they don't agree with. This board obsesses with finding any quote they can that paints Dusty as an archaic, walks-hating, position stereo-typing hack that can't manage his way out of a paper bag.
    I agree it can be a tired act -- especially when people just write something like "Dusty is an idiot" or "Dusty hates the media." Those pot shots and ad hominem attacks have no place on this board. On the other hand, this is a place that is about discussing the Reds, and the level of discourse -- though it can get dragged into the gutter at times -- usually remains substantially above the fray on other sites.

I mean really, your response was "holding Dusty responsible for the consequences of his own words."
    If he wanted to, Dusty could explain his decision making better. He usually chooses not to, and then adds in a little condescending jab, as if to assert his authority and pour salt in our wounds ("You try managing this team" or "People like to criticize my lineups.") Whether these responses are because he's exhausted, because has better things to do, because he has disdain for the media, or because he actually doesn't have a reasonable answer to the criticisms , I don't know. But he has to expect they'll continue to make him a lightning rod.

Consequences? What are the consequences? What do his words have to do with anything? Hurting feelings of fans on Redszone that he doesn't have the same exact philosophy to baseball? That he doesn't express his philosophy as eloquently as some? That he doesn't back up his words with a SABR stat? Why does he need to be "held responsible" for his words? Don't his wins and losses do that for him?
    By "consequences" I just mean that language is not neutral or without the expectation of blowback. As a public figure, you can't expect your words to just float into the atmosphere without any response. Some of those will be intelligent, others less so.

That whole thread is dramatic. Every thread on Dusty winds up being dramatic. People huff and puff over Dusty's every words as if he is telling every Reds' hitter to not draw walks. It's, to use your term, "dramatic." Every game thread on this board winds up venting the same complaints and hand-wringing over his every move. It's, again, "dramatic."
    Yep, it is dramatic because we care about the Reds and we care what happens to them. We've managed to make far less important things than Dusty's game strategy into major issues as well. Kinda the nature of the beast if you ask me...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I'll do better

I posted this on another thread but this is as good of a place I guess to post:

I'm finished with this forum. I originally came hear three or so years ago because it was a place for intelligent talk about baseball topics. It has devolved into the vile kind of chat I see on other internet forums. The ORG once separated itself from other forums as the cream of the crop of internet boards. Now I can't tell it apart from any other forum out there online. Now,the forum consists of blaming any success to PED's, wild speculation without evidence, and very little fact behind an opinion.

Boss Hog, I have always appreciated you as a mod but honestly, you and the other mods need to reign in some of the vile nature that this board has become.

I wish the Reds success the rest of the way.

Well. Bye.

Seem to be taking your time leaving.

Hint to others: if you're going to leave don't post that you're going to leave. It comes off looking like your asking people to beg you to stay. We'll do fine without you
    Last edited by Raisor; 06-21-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Well. Bye.

Seem to be taking your time leaving.

Hint to others: if you're going to leave don't post that you're going to leave. It comes off looking like your asking people to beg you to stay. We'll do fine without you
    No it doesn't. I love your attitude though. (sarcasm intended)

If someone doesn't like being here then not being here is a perfectly acceptable alternative.

I find myself coming back here more often than I would like lately. I remain concerned about the ORG -- mostly because of the continual baseless speculation about PED use. Interested what others think about it.

Personally, I expect more than just the use of dubious statistical "trends" to support accusations of serious crimes. I would think that this board would be beyond the dreck I run into in places like ProFootballTalk and ESPN. The fact that we live in the "steroid era" does not constitute a warrant for unfounded speculation -- and throwing around rumors undercuts the high quality of a lot of the other discussions taking place on this board.

I regularly see the mods intervening when the subject of player's body weight comes up, and I see no reason why this issue should be any different. PED accusations -- without hard evidence -- are one of the worst examples of circular logic and the most consistent sources of animosity on this board.
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-21-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

12. Likes:

redsfandan (06-21-2013)

If someone doesn't like being here then not being here is a perfectly acceptable alternative.
    True, but shouldn't that be up to that person?

What's the better way of handling things: a bunch of people telling that person to leave OR letting the mods/admin handle it if there's a problem?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Disagree. If I decide to move on...I tend to say goodbye because I probably will miss "some" people. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Disagree. If I decide to move on...I tend to say goodbye because I probably will miss "some" people. Just sayin'.
    And that's what instant messaging is for. Message board protocol throughout the interwebs is if you get fed up and leave you just leave.

Tis always been thus.

Now, if you're going to war or something and won't have access that another ball of wax

And that's what instant messaging is for. Message board protocol throughout the interwebs is if you get fed up and leave you just leave.

Tis always been thus.

Now, if you're going to war or something and won't have access that another ball of wax
    If you have a problem with Mike and how he reacted that's you. That's not me.

Here's the language of the site rules that I feel are continuously violated by unfounded PED speculation:

"It’s encouraged that you have opinions, but you should be able to back them up before convincing others."

To me, backing up steroid accusations with the following does not constitute "backing up an argument":

1) perceived statistical spikes in performance
    2) before/after pictures
    3) guilt by association (Molina was in StL when TLR was there and TLR managed a lot of steroid users)

18. Likes:

redsfandan (06-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Here's the language of the site rules that I feel are continuously violated by unfounded PED speculation:

"It’s encouraged that you have opinions, but you should be able to back them up before convincing others."

To me, backing up steroid accusations with the following does not constitute "backing up an argument":

1) perceived statistical spikes in performance
    2) before/after pictures
    3) guilt by association (Molina was in StL when TLR was there and TLR managed a lot of steroid users)
    How about we just don't feed the fire rather than get draconian?

The board has enough rules without adding rules to rules, IMO

20. Likes:

Brutus (06-22-2013),Norm Chortleton (06-24-2013),Wonderful Monds (06-21-2013)

Turn Off Ads?