Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carlton Daal

Carlton Daal

I am told this kid Carlton Daal, a shortstop from Curacao, is a prospect. Coming off an injury, just starting to play at AZL. Anyone seen anything on him?

One scout told me he was the best player in the Reds extended spring program.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carlton Daal

I wonder how he compares to Valor or Florentino?
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-05-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Some comparisons made to Gregorius...from the same city.

There are several reasons to be cautious about Daal's early success this year -- K-rates pretty high, doesn't walk that much and has little power.

And then there's the errors, lots of them. Does anyone know if a lot these are throwing errors? And if so, could a move to 2nd be in the offing?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    There are several reasons to be cautious about Daal's early success this year -- K-rates pretty high, doesn't walk that much and has little power.

And then there's the errors, lots of them. Does anyone know if a lot these are throwing errors? And if so, could a move to 2nd be in the offing?
    His K rate is not pretty high. He has a 16.3% strikeout rate coming into the day. If he were on the Reds big league team with that rate, only Cozart and Pena would strike out less frequently.

I wrote all about Carlton Daal on Friday at my site. Some of the info is free. Some of it is behind a paywall.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wrote all about Carlton Daal on Friday at my site. Some of the info is free. Some of it is behind a paywall.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

His K rate is not pretty high. He has a 16.3% strikeout rate coming into the day. If he were on the Reds big league team with that rate, only Cozart and Pena would strike out less frequently.

I think it was Friday or Saturday that I took notice of him. So, I looked for a scouting report on him and pulled up your site. Here goes my 4 bucks.

Major footwork issues on D. Coaches are working with him a lot but only time will tell if it takes.

His K rate is not pretty high. He has a 16.3% strikeout rate coming into the day.
    Ok. I was lazy and didn't actually do that math. Anyhow, nobody wants a Shortstop propsect more than I. But I'm cautious because of the error and the absense of at least gap power.

I was starting to get excited until I saw he has 29 errors this year. Twenty-nine!!! That's not easy to do.

No way he's a legit candidate to be a Major League shortstop unless he does a complete 180 defensively. 29 errors is a ton for a season, let alone half a season. Wow.

I honestly can't take this guy seriously as a prospect at this point. 29 errors by mid-June! That has to be close to an all-time professional baseball record.

Resident PED Expert

Jose Offerman would beg to differ.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...fferjo01.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I was starting to get excited until I saw he has 29 errors this year. Twenty-nine!!! That's not easy to do.

No way he's a legit candidate to be a Major League shortstop unless he does a complete 180 defensively. 29 errors is a ton for a season, let alone half a season. Wow.

I honestly can't take this guy seriously as a prospect at this point. 29 errors by mid-June! That has to be close to an all-time professional baseball record.

After reading Doug's scouting report, those errors don't bother me so much, now. I think he may be the Reds' starting shortstop of the future.

Large error totals of young SS isn't completely uncommon. In a vacuum, I think your post is a bit reactionary without knowing more.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Large error totals of young SS isn't completely uncommon. In a vacuum, I think your post is a bit reactionary without knowing more.
    Yep.

Derek Jeter made 56 errors in Low-A. He has made more than 20 twice in his big league career.
    Ozzie Smith made 23 errors in rookie ball, in 65 games. He was playing in the big leagues the next year. He made 25 errors that next season, it was the most he made in his big league career.

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-21-2014),Edd Roush (06-18-2014),mdccclxix (06-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    If anything, I consider high error totals in the low minors to be a GOOD sign. It means he is getting to a ton of balls and trying to make difficult plays. You can teach a guy better footwork, throwing mechanics, and decision making skills, but you can't teach raw athleticism or innate confidence/aggressiveness. As Doug pointed out above, lots of great MLB SS had high error totals at the start of their pro career. It's part of the learning process.

18. Likes:

mdccclxix (06-18-2014),Patrick Bateman (06-18-2014)

Turn Off Ads?